SHIFT Interview with Jesse Abney Part 2

Need for Speed SHIFT News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

SHIFT Interview with Jesse Abney Part 2

Post by Bojan »

Part two of the interview with Need for Speed SHIFT producer Jesse Abney is available on the official Need for Speed website.
It's a must read for those who don't follow news about SHIFT often as it explains the game's basic features like closed track racing, no cops, no PS2 release and how the it's aiming for a more realistic driving experience.
Additionally Jesse also confirms the drift mode is making a comeback, reveals a bit about the PC hardware requirements and hints at licensed custom parts.

Read the whole interview here
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Re: SHIFT Interview with Jesse Abney Part 2

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

Nice to hear about drift mode and that we'll be getting more info, other than that - there's nothing much in this interview.
kostis1993
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by kostis1993 »

Things are starting to get interesting!!! :twisted:
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Licensed aftermarket parts? Can I finally get a Vielside RX7 in a NFS game? Sounds a little too good to be true. Probably means performance parts like from Apex Glide or Brembo, which are nothing new in the NFS world. Drift mode makes me excited but I have to wonder how they'll pull that off in the "realistic driving scenario". Realistically, drifting is a lot harder than putting on some speed and then yanking on the brakes.
Overall, some rather intersting pieces of information.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Hmm, be interesting to see how drift pans out in the cockpit perspective won't it
volvo_t5
Ricer
Ricer

Post by volvo_t5 »

wow drifting is back!! I just got to get this game.
DMNBT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by DMNBT »

So the PS2 is too weak to support the game, but they'll go ahead with a PSP version? Hmmm...
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

"I knew the fact with the "Drifting Mode" and I'm lookin' forward to another "New Event", I won't say it, now!" 8)
XCROSSX
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by XCROSSX »

DMNBT wrote:So the PS2 is too weak to support the game, but they'll go ahead with a PSP version? Hmmm...
I'm pretty sure the PSP version will have a different engine... I only hope they won't use the same as in MW, Carbon, UC...
GT3x24x7 wrote:I don't get why the word 'irony' has nothing to do with metallurgy.
NaBUru83
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by NaBUru83 »

EA wrote: Is this game going to be like Pro Street?
Michael Mann wrote: In much the same way as Pro Street was based on close course, racing events, yes. Slightly Mad Studios have an award-winning background in creating authentic racing games. Their ability in this area has created a best-in-class physics, visual and architecture engine.
I hope so, because ProStreet's physics engine was pathetic.
Michael Mann wrote: The... play will span across both renowned Grand Prix tracks and fictional street courses.
There could be fictional purpose-built courses and real street circuits as well, right? I know that New York, London, Paris and Tokyo street races are a classic (see Gran Turismo, Forza, Project Gotham), but what about Detroit, Long Beach, St. Pete, Montreal, Toronto, Trois-Riviéres, Sante Fe, Boavista, Bucharest, Monaco, Norisring, Pau, Valencia, Macau, Singapore, Adeleide, Melbourne, Surfers Paradaise and the kind?
EA wrote: If the car gets say a puncture can we limp to the pit and fix it?
Michael Mann wrote: Blah blah blah...
In a word: no pit stops. That makes sense in short races, I admit. But perhaps they could add longer races this time. A NfS3's 8-lap race in Summit took aboul half an hour to complete. With real cars and a little simulation, there could be compulsory pit stops to change tyres and the kind.
Michael Mann wrote: ...we’re not talking about the car lists at the moment but we do have some surprises and firsts for the Need for Speed series planned.
Real purpose-built race cars? I mean, formula cars and sports prototypes? Wow, that would be a real surprise!
XCROSSX wrote:
DMNBT wrote:So the PS2 is too weak to support the game, but they'll go ahead with a PSP version? Hmmm...
I'm pretty sure the PSP version will have a different engine... I only hope they won't use the same as in MW, Carbon, UC...
They could port the PSP game to PS2. Those consoles are still well sold in many countries. Oops, gamers from those countries use to buy pirate games...
zip_mdd
Ricer
Ricer

Post by zip_mdd »

cool... now i'm sure... i will play it... DRIFT rulez!!!

if they will use for PSP same engine like it was in PS or UC... f** them... worst racing game on PSP... no tuning at all (rims are not tuning)... wtf? for exemple "Juiced2" on PSP... have more layers for vinyl then in PS on PC... lol...
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

NaBUru83, in regards to the lenght of races I totally agree. Obviously this is a terrible comparison as they are two completely different games, but the last race in UG2 felt like an eternity to me as all the races are so short.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Look at it from this perspective: the average gamer doesn't want to play a single race for 30 minutes or so. Which would be a good reason to not make races too long in the previous NFS games.

But I agree completely with the fact that Shift should have longer races. If it's geared towards hardcore racers, there's no reason to not have long races. Nothing more to say.
custom_rider
Stock
Stock

Post by custom_rider »

8)
SP4RCO
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by SP4RCO »

This new game sounds awesome. I hope I can finally enjoy a NFS game with the G25!!

Anyways, remember what happened with ProStreet. Supposedly it was going to be a "real simulator" and then......... LMAO!!

Moderated hype here :lol:
Still rolling my eyes :roll:
driverx15
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by driverx15 »

lookin good, but hopefully it doesnt revolve around tuners again like all the other nfs's. they need to go back to the high stakes type game, where the fast cars of the world are the fast cars of the game. im sick of beating lambo's while driving hondas. looks as if theyre moving on so far.
NaBUru83
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by NaBUru83 »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote: the last race in UG2 felt like an eternity to me
I didn't finish that game, so I can't confirm that.
prince1142003 wrote:Look at it from this perspective: the average gamer doesn't want to play a single race for 30 minutes or so. Which would be a good reason to not make races too long in the previous NFS games.

But I agree completely with the fact that Shift should have longer races. If it's geared towards hardcore racers, there's no reason to not have long races. Nothing more to say.
I completely agree with that. I couldn't have put it clearer.

Return to “News”