NFS SHIFT: Nürburgring Video

Need for Speed SHIFT News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

NFS SHIFT: Nürburgring Video

Post by Skyline_man »

Gamersyde posted another gameplay video for NFS SHIFT, showing the Nürburgring race track in the game for the first time.

Watch or download the video @ Gamersyde.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: NFS SHIFT: Nürburgring Video

Post by Hydro_PT »

It looks too arcade for a game that praises to be a mix of arcade and simulation. Let's hope the driver was playing with arcade settings...

Anyway, the graphics look really good, all the cars and the track have great textures and overall a nice design. The cockpit is also very cool and a nice feature, something we didn't have since Porsche Unleashed hehe. The "crashing effects" are nice too. The cosmetic damage is kind disappointing (better than ProStreet, though).

The physics don't seem to be that good. When the cars crash with each other, it doesn't feel realistic. GRID is way better on that.... I was hoping for a more realistic effect, including damage to the mechanic parts. That seems to be lacking, or the driver didn't activate that option. It's funny how he crashed so hard on another opponent and both just kept going lol.

Anyway, I want a demo now to try it out for myself. I'm really curious to see how it feels... I damn hope the handling fells good. If the game's gonna be released in September, we should be getting a demo next week, maybe? [-o<

PS: No sound? :(
Mr BlackB
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Mr BlackB »

Its a shame that Xerez circuit, Montmelo Circuit, Valencia Urban Circuit, or Cheste Circuit seems that will not be included in-game :( ...
InternationalClassic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by InternationalClassic »

Cool

But why is there no sound or is it just me?
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

"It's just You - I'm joking, no I have no idea!" :roll:
driverx15
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by driverx15 »

TRANSFORMER wrote:"It's just You - I'm joking, no I have no idea!" :roll:
hilarious.
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

Most CAM videos get their audios removed, there are so many noises & distractions that you probably won't be hearing the car sounds anyway.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Man this game looks beautiful...
elie8
Drift King
Drift King

Post by elie8 »

That's a nice video !! i agree : Sound Has Been Removed because of noise !! SHIFT is A Heck Of A Game !!!! =P~ =P~ 8) 8) =D> =D> :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :shock:
What Comes Around, Goes Around ...
DMNBT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by DMNBT »

I really hope the gameplay is good, because there's no way the game's going to look like that in my laptop (assuming it can run it at all...)
driverx15
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by driverx15 »

gagtooth
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by gagtooth »

I must admit that Shift does look quite nice, but why not show the more simulation side of the physics engine. I mean if I made a game that I said would cater for both arcade players and simulation players I would make sure I show both and not just the one. Only showing the arcade mode is just silly because it makes the game look poor, although that might just be the people playing the game not actually knowing how to drive :roll:.

Also I would like to say the AI are looking remarkably good, I mean random braking ftw =D>. You've got to keep on your toes now :mrgreen:

I'm still waiting for a demo so I can try the hardcore blow your face off simulation physics :D. Is there one coming soon ? [-o<
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

the demo would be nice to finally try this thing out, but it looks great plays a bit better, it is quiet funny that hitting someone at 130 doesn't destroy your car but it is still nfs so they didnt want to make it to real some so anyone can really pick it up and play unlike GT where its kinda hard cause u gota be perfect.
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

"Well... I hope that the Demo will be released next week, too - it would have sense after the Gamescom!"
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

"New Video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOPia34XKAI Speedhunter's => The Drifter's Experince!" 8)
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

The game does look good, the car looks nice inside and out.

But what does really disapoint me is that I didn't at all recognise the track.
Yeah they made a carousel and yeah they had the bridge near the end (and yeah it does have the Audi R10 banner on it like it does now, but that's basicly it.)

Other then that there wasn't a corner I could say yeah I know where I am...
If you play GT4 or Forza2 you can recognise stuff but sadly here... no.
I was afraid of that, it's just like in PGR3 and 4 yeah it has some feature but that's about it.

IMO they should have stayed with the classical tracks that are a few miles long and have less elevation and less twists and bumps etc, just normal GP style tracks etc.

The Nordschleife is a very hard track to build especially with all the steep elevation in it, and even GT4 and Forza could not give you the feeling that you are going uphill a lot and deep dowhills.
Shift doesn't feel like it's going up or down at all.
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

"I cannot wait anymore 4 a Test Drive in NFS SH!FT - Where the hell is the promised Demo ???!" :shock: :?: :!:
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

TheStig wrote:The game does look good, the car looks nice inside and out.

But what does really disapoint me is that I didn't at all recognise the track.
Yeah they made a carousel and yeah they had the bridge near the end (and yeah it does have the Audi R10 banner on it like it does now, but that's basicly it.)

Other then that there wasn't a corner I could say yeah I know where I am...
If you play GT4 or Forza2 you can recognise stuff but sadly here... no.
I was afraid of that, it's just like in PGR3 and 4 yeah it has some feature but that's about it.

IMO they should have stayed with the classical tracks that are a few miles long and have less elevation and less twists and bumps etc, just normal GP style tracks etc.

The Nordschleife is a very hard track to build especially with all the steep elevation in it, and even GT4 and Forza could not give you the feeling that you are going uphill a lot and deep dowhills.
Shift doesn't feel like it's going up or down at all.
Hey Stiggy, long time no see.

Other than what you've mentioned, I'm a bit disappointed by the timing. The whole video lasted 3 minutes something for 1 whole lap. As far as I know, 1 lap of the Ring takes at least 7 minutes in some pretty damn high-powered cars. Some games reflect this in their gameplay, but apparently Shift is not one of them.

I would like to point out that in all the videos posted in this thread, it looks like some dumbbumbum 8 year olds, who played with a ps3 controller or a keyboard! Obviously we are looking at the dumbed down version of the game, as those controls just have 0 precision and without a shiznit of aid, you can't really use them to drive a car decently.. not if the game is a simulation, at least. As long as the car handles as I would expect it to in a simulation, when I connect my G25 wheel, I'm good. THAT is the driving experience. THAT is the simulation. That's what matters primarily. Damage and AI are secondary - if you drive as flawlessly as you should, you shouldn't be touching any opponents anyway and thus it shouldn't matter if there really is damage in it or not.. and as long as the AI doesn't drive into you like a truck (See gt5 prologue -.-) that will be fine, too.

The graphics are crisp, but the game looks too fast to be a simulation of real life. Not even the youtube videos of James May reaching 407 km/h in a Veyron look as fast a 'simple' R8 in this game.. Call it many things, but don't call it a simulation, please.

*sigh* had so many hopes for this game.. should have expected it would just turn out to be just another nfs..
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

The dbox seat versions at gamescom all had locked in driving assists including auto brake meaning that the gameplay looked pretty arcadey.
Comparing the car control between a wheel and a controller I have to say that the wheel offers just so much more control of the car that going back to the controller is really painful.

The nordschleife is certainly not 3min long in the game, I can confirm that.

And if you ask me about the realism of the three big: my opinion is that shift tops both forza 3 and gt5.

I should have an article up later on today explaining it more in detail.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

You do that, cause to be honest it doesn't look like a sim at all, but then EA said it was the best of both worlds... aka a compromise... and a compromise is never a good option imo.

I got the weird feeling I am not getting this game, EA can tell me a lot just like they did with Undercover, but that was such a EPIC FAILURE, that I lost all faith in EA.
Hopes where getting up a bit with shift, but it still looks arcady.
I got the feeling that it will be a let down again...don't ask me why but I got that feelin.

I do hope you can turn off the crash effects, cause they look bloody annoying.

Shift does look good the GFX is nice, but to be honest that is not the most important for me, it is realism in terms of tracks and how it "feels" to drive.

It could be that it will be a great game, and that it's only the retrarded reporters that make it look like a arcade racer.
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

"However I'm convinced that SH!FT's up to realism, sth. like GR!D, just much better, We'll see then!" :roll:
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Yea the thing is their aiming for an "accessible" game and all the videos and demos and everything show the game with assists on. With autobrake that's like playing an arcade game. But if you turn the assists off, it's a whole different story!
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Post by TheNoobofFerraris »

You're making me cling to hope for SHIFT Bojan, I hope that I don't end up disappointed. :o
Seems like this website is a ghost town. No longer worth a visit or anyone's time.
CodeOfTheRoad
Ricer
Ricer

Post by CodeOfTheRoad »

well btw ea is making this game, it looks like they're changing the title from Need for Speed,to Need for Quick Money
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

With all assists on and a controller/keyboard, it will always look like crap. 100% steering or nothing is genuinely horrible. Of course the handling looks pathetic.. the car hacks left and right.. no possibility to do minor, smooth adjustments. Show me a video with progressive steering and throttle control/gradual brakes and things will start to get interesting. As long as it's reporters trying wildly to flaunt the game's graphics (as they obviously did.. just look at the way they swivel the camera around at the end of the Ring lap) instead of focussing on car handling, then it's obvious it won't look like a decent racer.

I do look forward to your article, Bojan. In my head the various GTR, GTR2 and GTR Evo are just a tad above GT5. I haven't tried Forza, but everyone says it's basically GT on the xbox.. if you feel SHIFT is going to be even more realistic than GT5, I will be very interested in learning exactly in which ways and how you will compare them.

I don't quite understand this bit, though: "The nordschleife is certainly not 3min long in the game, I can confirm that."
The video itself is supposed to show a lap of that track, isn't it? Unless the video is being fast-forwarded or otherwise played faster than the game plays, the 1 full lap of the track shown in that video does take 3 minutes. If you suggest that it doesn't in the game, I'd like you to explain how it can be possible that it takes 3 mins in that video.

Return to “News”