Need for Speed SHIFT Review Roundup

Need for Speed SHIFT News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Need for Speed SHIFT Review Roundup

Post by Bojan »

Need for Speed SHIFT has been out for quite a while and all the major gaming media have published their reviews of the game. Here's a summary.

PC
IGN 9.0/10
Videogamer 8/10

PlayStation 3
Gamespot 7.0/10
PSX Extreme 8.8/10
Gamespy 5/5
Playstation Official Magazine US 4.5/5
IGN 9.0/10
Gameplanet 8.5/10.

Xbox 360
Gamespot
Official Xbox Magazine UK 8/10
TeamXbox 9.0/10
Eurogamer 7/10
Official Xbox Magazine 9/10
IGN 9.0/10
Team Xbox
Gamespy 5/5

You can find list of all reviews and the average score on every platform on Gamerankings
kostis1993
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: Need for Speed SHIFT Review Roundup

Post by kostis1993 »

9 and 8 for the crappy, bugged PC version!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The only way I can expalin this is they send different copies to those reviews sites. Anyway, after searvhing quite a lot at the EA forums, I saw a post by a guy who knows some of the developers and they say the didn't even know about these bugs! It seems real, cause flag girls inside cras, crashes and physics glitches are too difficult not to be found! Maybe someone sabotaged them or did some WRONG copies made their way onto the market?
elie8
Drift King
Drift King

Post by elie8 »

Well !! i'm competing in Tier 4 events !!! To be honest : the game crashed 1 time but no real probs or girls inside cars ... As for the bouncing ... The car bounces while walking on grass or sand ... So of course it isn't supposed to be stable !!!! :P :P So IMO : SHIFT gets a 9/10 !!!! =P~ =D> :twisted: 8) :D :shock:
What Comes Around, Goes Around ...
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Lol, some reviewers were pretty optimistic reviewing this game. SHIFT doesn't even come close to a 9/10 or a 5/5. In my opinion, I think it deserves a 6 or 7/10 (not sure yet).

Apart from the problems that the PC version is suffering (random crashes, glitches, bugs, etc), the whole game doesn't deserve such nice reviews. I would say it's an average-to-good racing game. It has some good stuff, but it lacks other stuff.

The physics, for example, are pure shiznit compared to other racing games, and very buggy. I already found myself inside barriers after a crash, with the car jumping; I already touched on an opponent and it went flying, then landed on its roof and just kept going, no grip at all... looks like the roof is made of butter. When I hit the walls at speed, the car just "stops" momentarily, then it regains speed, and goes like this until I finally take if off the wall. To mention some.

The AI is far too aggressive. They try to knock you out like you were their 1# enemy. I always try to overtake them nice and clean, just to find out moments later that they don't intend to brake on that corner, so we go both against the wall. I lost the count of how many firetruck times I had to restart the game because the AI tried to kill me. Amazingly, sometimes they race very good, they're not aggressive, they drive well and are challenging. Do they have a mood?

Good stuff includes nice and varied events, a great selection of tracks and cars. I'm enjoying the way the career was organized, but I think it's too easy to reach other Tiers. They should have made things a bit more difficult, you earn a few events and you're already racing with Buggattis. But that's a not a problem for me, since I only leave a tier after I won everything.

Well I could go on and on, but I think I'll leave this post to the "NFS Shift users reviews" topic. It fits there best. :mrgreen:

elie8: There are tons of videos out there showing weird physics behaviour, so don't try to make yourself look idiot by saying "the car bounces while walking on grass or sand... so of course it isn't supposed to be stable". Since when a racing car going on a tarmac straight starts bouncing like it has hydraulics instead of suspension?
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

=> Elie8 :roll: 8) but I need a Steering Wheel to beat them all Freaks ONLINE! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

Hydro_PT wrote: I already found myself inside barriers after a crash, with the car jumping; I already touched on an opponent and it went flying, then landed on its roof and just kept going, no grip at all... looks like the roof is made of butter. When I hit the walls at speed, the car just "stops" momentarily, then it regains speed, and goes like this until I finally take if off the wall. To mention some. The AI is far too aggressive. They try to knock you out like you were their 1# enemy.
Are You on drugs and if You are, take less of'em and about enemies: You want Police again?! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
elie8
Drift King
Drift King

Post by elie8 »

@ Hydro-PT : A little bouning doesn't hurt anybody !!!! :P :P IMO : Overall the game looks pretty good !!!! =P~ :D // It has its flaws but nothing very fishy ... :wink: Totally, SHIFT is Money to me 8) :twisted: !!!! U can hate the game all you want but that won't change my opinion @ all !!!! :wink: No one makes a Perfect Game ... NO ONE !!!!! :roll: :?
elie8
Drift King
Drift King

Post by elie8 »

@ Transformer : if u want, i'll give u mine dude !!!! :lol: :D No Prob !!!! :wink: =P~
DriftingFan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by DriftingFan »

im enjoying shift. the only problems i have are the crappy customizing and the very rare occasion of a bouncy car which isn't even that bad. i have the ps3 version and the damage modeling is dumbed down or glitched and thats a slight annoyance. the ai can be too aggressive at times but i think shift deserves the good scores its getting
"Fuel burning fast on an empty tank." Cake, The Distance

PSN ID: DriftingFan
pakitos
Ricer
Ricer

Post by pakitos »

Hydro_PT wrote: The AI is far too aggressive. They try to knock you out like you were their 1# enemy. I always try to overtake them nice and clean, just to find out moments later that they don't intend to brake on that corner, so we go both against the wall. I lost the count of how many firetruck times I had to restart the game because the AI tried to kill me. Amazingly, sometimes they race very good, they're not aggressive, they drive well and are challenging. Do they have a mood?

You have no idea how many times I restarted the Carrera GT Invitation Event... it lasted 7mins and most of the races I couldnt get to do the first lap without being pushed into the wall or just when I thought I was going to win they crash my back and send me out of the track...

Fuking nuts... I like it :D
<Jeroen>
Ricer
Ricer

Post by <Jeroen> »

Wow, such high reviews, I can't believe it.

Sure it's not a bad game, but it isn't THAT good either. It's worth like a 7.5 or something. First they have to solve all the bugs in the game, and get their crash physics together. I want to see my car being totally destroyed when I ram into a wall!
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

@TRANSFORMER: Really you are so dumb. I don't even understood your post. Where did I talk about police or anything else? Read things properly before you post stupid stuff. ;)

@Elie8: I don't hate SHIFT. You need to tell me where I wrote that, because I don't remember. I'm just saying that some things in SHIFT are really bad, what's your problem with that? Just see some YouTube videos and you'll see how bad the physics in SHIFT are. Little bouncing? LOL at that... I won't even comment.

I never said anything about a perfect game, I know very well that there are no perfect games. But there are good and bad games, and SHIFT doesn't deserve such nice reviews. That's all... I don't want to change no ones opinion, specially someone who is a fanboy. If the game deserves a 9/10 for you, that's ok. It just shows that you can't review a game based on its real quality. Simple enough.

I already pointed out some great things in SHIFT that I like, and to me, the game is worth the money. I'm not blind or a fanboy though, so I can also see that SHIFT has some bad stuff that needed more work, like the physics and the aggressive IA. Is this clear enough for you?
elie8
Drift King
Drift King

Post by elie8 »

You've made your point Hydro ... :) That's ur opinion and i respect it !!!! 8)
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Ah finally. It took some time to accept my opinion eh? ;)

Return to “News”