SHIFT Drift Tutorial

Need for Speed SHIFT News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

SHIFT Drift Tutorial

Post by Bojan »

There are a few tips up at the official NeedforSpeed.com website on how to improve your drifting in Need for Speed SHIFT. The whole article is available here, but I'll also add some own experience here as well as I find drifting to be pretty easy and in fact with the really low scoring AI one of the easiest modes in game.

1. It is indeed important which car you pick, it has to be suitable to your driving style, but be careful that too much power in drift can be a bad thing. I used a tier 1 RX-8 with only drivetrain and engine upgraded to stage 3 and all the aero and race upgrades (except boost). What you need to pay attention to is that the car's power is just right, meaning that a full press of the acceleration will make your car oversteer and a mid press should maintain your drift.

2. Like the article suggests, counter steer to maintain a drift. Also be careful not to counter steer too much, try to find a balance with the accelerator.

3. Clipping points are very important as a very close drift at the first and second clipping point will instantly add a 2x multiplier meaning an easy accumulation of points. If you're not sure what a clipping point is, it's a set of around 4 red and white sticks with yellow lights on top. They're usually positioned in corner apex.

4. Throttle control is important. During drift you have to press is just right not to spin in or lose the drift. That's why it's important not to have a too powerful car as they'll oversteer too quickly.

5. I agree that's important to know the courses and with what speeds you should take the corners with. I would add however that you should try to drive through the corners much like you do when doing regular racing. Take the outer line, brake before the corner, then turn and start slamming the accelerator. Have the car turn inside, the let loose the accelerator just enough so you maintain a drift. Usually the arrows should show you a good drifting line so it's easiest to follow them.

Additionally I found it the easiest to drift using either the cockpit cam or the hood cam - I found the chase cam to be too distant and it not being fixed to the car causes problems as I didn't react fast enough. There's also a weird feature that if you spin inwards you get lots of points for having a great drifting angle.

If you're still having problems with drift mode, we have a forum topic about drift with plenty of tips. Be sure to post your questions if you have any.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: SHIFT Drift Tutorial

Post by vellu »

I would also add that a proper controller plays a big role in this game mode.

As throttle control is the Key to drifting it means this game mode is all but unplayable if one doesn't have an analog controller (pad or pedals) for throttle.

Other game modes are more tolerable, but drifting...is unforgiving. On/off throttle simply doesn't cut it.
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

vellu wrote:I would also add that a proper controller plays a big role in this game mode.

As throttle control is the Key to drifting it means this game mode is all but unplayable if one doesn't have an analog controller (pad or pedals) for throttle.

Other game modes are more tolerable, but drifting...is unforgiving. On/off throttle simply doesn't cut it.
Completely agree. I got used to it without analog buttons, but it was a bear to play at first. Its at a point where the runs are ugly, but I still win the event.
Hardcore drifter
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Hardcore drifter »

:D :D Drifting in SHIFT is so exciting and exhilirating :D :D

I think I have nearly mastered the Drift physics in SHIFT these tips are very helpful, thanks. As with ordinary Grip Driving be smooth with your inputs and driving line. If you are gentle and patient with the car the car will respond in a controlled way resulting in more control and speed. If you start being really hefty, aggressive, and clumsy with your driving inputs then the car will react in the same manner. e.g. out of control and wrecked, both visually and performance wise.

Hope this helps 8)
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah... it's possible to win the events on keyboard, but it's completely and utterly retarded.

Basically... line up to hit a clipping point at speed, as you approach , full throttle, then full opposite lock and your car should slide until it slows. Then aim for the next point and try to set your car up for each clipping point. Looks like crap, cheating in a way... but it's what you have to do if you're a PC player without a wheel or analogue gamepad. The massive angle will get you big points, and the quicker you go, the better.

Return to “News”