SHIFT Patch Details Announced

Need for Speed SHIFT News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

SHIFT Patch Details Announced

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Details of the forthcoming second patch for Need for Speed SHIFT were revealed today on EA official forums. Quite a large number of issues are to be addressed, with some of the more prevalent fixes being:

- General game stability and performance improvements
- Improved car handling
- Fix for issue where some cars would bounce on their suspension
- Fix for Lamborghini's having a low top speed when upgraded
- Fix for Corvette Z06 and Dodge Viper not able to move at the start of some events
- Improved ATi graphics card support

Aside from these, an enhancement: the maximum number of online players in a race will be increased from 8 to 12.

View the full list of fixes here. A release date for the patch has not yet been announced.
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Re: SHIFT Patch Details Announced

Post by TheNoobofFerraris »

Looks to be a good patch. Is there anyone out there anticipating these fixes?
Seems like this website is a ghost town. No longer worth a visit or anyone's time.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

- Improved car handling

3 words:
HELL YEAH! yay!!!
:lol: makes me want to play the game again...
kostis1993
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by kostis1993 »

I agree too elven avenger! I'm really excited for those performance and stability issues fix!
Rizur
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Rizur »

Sounds great especially that fix of bouncy cars. But still they didnt give us the mirror button for vinyls. Hopefully they add that to the next patch and also some new cars.
bloke12
Ricer
Ricer

Post by bloke12 »

they got anything on there about vinyls?
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

the full list:
Here are the details for the new patch. We're currently working through the testing process so don't have a confirmed date yet; as soon as we do we'll update the thread.

NEW CONTENT/FUNCTIONALITY
- Increased the maximum number of online players from 8 to 12

BUG FIXES - CROSS-PLATFORM

- Improved car handling

- Fix for issue where some cars would bounce on their suspension during high load situations

- Fix for grass sometimes being displayed out of position

- Fix for intermittent incorrect driver duel results

- Fix for inverted balance slider operation

- Fix for online wins and losses occasionally being calculated incorrectly for drift races

- Fixed issue where loaned career car would inherit the player's career car tuning settings

- Fixed various usability issues with the advanced tuning screens

- Fixed lap timing for first lap of rolling start events

- Fixed car tuning settings sometimes not taking effect

- Fix to prevent rewinding past the start of instant replays

- Fixed car livery occasionally appearing all white during driver duel events

- Fixed incorrect screens being shown when player is disqualified

- Fix for occasional invisible opponents appearing during online drift events

- Fix for intermittent hang when skipping quickly through post-race screens

- Fix for intermittent hang when pressing X repeatedly in My Cars screen

- Fix for missing race groove on point-to-point tracks

- Prevented car livery resetting to default after an online race

- Fix for advanced tuning not staying unlocked on reload

- Fixed invitational event cars getting their setups corrupted and becoming undrivable (e.g. Veryon and Carrera GT)

- Fix for Lamborghini's having a low top speed when upgraded

- Fix for Corvette Z06 and Dodge Viper not able to move at the start of some events

- Fix for some upgraded AI cars bottoming out causing some instability over bumps

- Fix upgrade menu bug

- Fix for a force feedback strength settings save bug

- Fix multi-player settings for AI opponents and drift mode

- Fix for vinyls being incorrectly applied on rear wing

- Fix for a hang in lobby when accessing friend's list from car select

- Fix for profile load bug which skips save select menu when holding down Enter key

- Fix for jumping body parts when car resets

PC SPECIFIC
- Improved ATi graphics card support

- Improved dynamic vertex buffer usage (performance optimization on all PCs)

- Fixed crashes on certain PC configurations when changing shadow settings

- Fixed intermittent crash during first lap of races on certain PC configurations

- Disabled forced dampening for custom wheel presets on PC

- Optimized multi-GPU PC operation

- Fix for intermittent missing surface sounds on certain PC configurations

- Fix for intermittent black skies

- Fix for LAN menu hang for client when host quickly returns to main menu
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

this is hell of a patch im happy they actually fixing a huge amount of problems. This is a patch i really cant wait to get.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Looks promising. Appears to be fixing quite a bit game mechanic issues. Hopefully they'll address the non-critical things next, like the vinyl system.

Ps. Car handling fixes just might "force" a restart if severe enough for me anyway... we'll see
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

also the optimization will be improved...great!
they did hell alot of work with this patch, now its just the vinyl mechanics overall(or maybe not so "just")
and then we will have alot better game than we started with.
Mr BlackB
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Mr BlackB »

Aleluia bro, this looks good! =D> =D> =D>
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

ElvenAvenger wrote:they did hell alot of work with this patch,
...Work they were suppose to complete BEFORE the game was released.

Where is the option to customize the controller settings for consoles? I can't get too excited about a new patch if I still can't play the game properly! #-o
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

man...
none of those things bothered me, the only thing i wanted fixed was the vinyls. less then 7/8ths of those i didnt even run into
Instagram @SupraHKS
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

jacoja06 wrote:...Work they were suppose to complete BEFORE the game was released.
On the contrary, I fully expect that many of these issues were 'known deliverables' prior to release. The key thing is to get the game onto shelves and into little Johnny's XBox at the right time of year. These days most software is shipped with the expectation that one or more patches will ship later. In the end, you get the game you paid for, just not in the idyllic way you imagine things should be done.
Zotic+ wrote:the only thing i wanted fixed was the vinyls.
Vinyls aren't broken, they just work differently to the way you want them to work. They said all along that this patch is all about fixing actual bugs and glitches and it looks like that's exactly what they're delivering.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

GT3x24x7 wrote:On the contrary, I fully expect that many of these issues were 'known deliverables' prior to release. The key thing is to get the game onto shelves and into little Johnny's XBox at the right time of year. These days most software is shipped with the expectation that one or more patches will ship later. In the end, you get the game you paid for, just not in the idyllic way you imagine things should be done.
Salesman: Here you go, sir! your brand new car!
Customer: What?! But the lights won't come on, I can't open the doors and it's missing a wheel!!!
Salesman: *shrugs* That's just the way we ship them nowadays. Stay tuned and in the next couple of months, we'll ship you the fourth wheel, new bulbs for the lights and the keys to your car!! And it gets even better - IT'S ALL FREE OF CHARGE!!!! (Don't you just love us?!)

It's unacceptable there. It's unacceptable here. People need to stop buying half-arsed games shipped before they are finished.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

summ i like your compare between a real car and the game but thats the difference its a game so they are just abusing it.
and your also talking about a few thousand dollars compared to 50bucks..umm thats kinda off.
Also its EA they been doing this for a while now.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Summ wrote:Salesman: Here you go, sir! your brand new car!
Customer: What?! But the lights won't come on, I can't open the doors and it's missing a wheel!!!
Salesman: *shrugs* That's just the way we ship them nowadays. Stay tuned and in the next couple of months, we'll ship you the fourth wheel, new bulbs for the lights and the keys to your car!! And it gets even better - IT'S ALL FREE OF CHARGE!!!! (Don't you just love us?!)

It's unacceptable there. It's unacceptable here. People need to stop buying half-arsed games shipped before they are finished.
Unacceptable? Maybe, but most car manufacturers are doing it. You know those massive recalls? And you don't know half the stuff they fix at regular service intervals.
Not to mention you're comparing apples and oranges.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

But the fact remains that EA should not released games that are so horribly bugged that some people can't even play them normally.
But then EA doesn't give a sh*t cause hé they got their money already and since the first few days/weeks are the most important in terms of sales, they already got their money back, and if enough people complain they will relaese a patch to fix the bugs, and in this case the first complaints where there the day the game came out.

I always thought that's why gamestudios had Alpha and Beta games to test them and see where the bugs are and fix them before the costumer get's their product.

Sure you will always have bugs in a game that slipped trough, but some of the bugs and glitches that where in Shift are simply not acceptable, same thing happened in Undercover, I couldn't even play the game on the X360 when I got the game, after a while the released a patch and it now works without crashing once.... stuff like that should not slip trough especially on a console, where all hard- and software are the same.

And if it's a time issue... EA should start earlier.cause if I can't finish something on time... my boss tells me to start earlier or get more people to help out...
But then EA knows they can get away with it.... it's a very sad system.

But he I hope for all (mostly PC gamers) that the bugs/glitches are really fixed.
And if so and the price drops I will get it for the X360, but for now I am having way to much fun playing FM3
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Well I'm not defending the practice, just pointing out that this is how it's done these days. I dislike serious game bugs just as much as the next gamer - especially on consoles, where it should be easier to get it right.

I guess though, there's some sense in having the general public do your final beta testing, or else you might find you've spent time and money fixing things that nobody would've really cared about once the game launched. This way, they can get a very clear prioritized list of the issues that hurt people the most and address those.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

Bojan wrote:Not to mention you're comparing apples and oranges.
It's called a metaphor. It's not meant to be taken literally. Insert whatever other, more suitable case you might have in mind, if it's easier for you to handle.
GT3 wrote:I guess though, there's some sense in having the general public do your final beta testing, or else you might find you've spent time and money fixing things that nobody would've really cared about once the game launched. This way, they can get a very clear prioritized list of the issues that hurt people the most and address those.
Public betas make a lot of sense, but that's not what happened here. MMO's are games that officially do beta tests with the general public. Participants are informed of the game being in a beta-phase and receive perks in the form of discounts on the final game or titles or prestige items once the game ships, in recognition of their efforts. Usually participation in these kinds of events is free. Shift was released as FINAL - that's what a game is considered, when it hits the shelves, unless otherwise stated by the company producing the game. As it turns out, the game was a buggy nightmare.

Shift's release was nothing but yet another marketing stunt by EA. Set a date, create massive hype, release the game no matter what, cash in some huge revenue. They don't know jack about making games or customer satisfaction, but they sure as hell know how to create a hype and lure thousands of fools into buying blindly. (Yes, guilty as charged). The game they released was unplayable for a lot of people. Hell, it still is now, almost 2 months after release! That, gentlemen, is unacceptable.

As a customer, I buy a product expecting it to perform as advertised. I don't buy a product in the hopes that it might be what it is supposed to be. EA, like any other game company, has no obligation, other than moral, to continue to release patches and support their game after a sale has been done. Therefore, unless explicitly written on the package, I expect to be getting what I paid for. I expect the inside of the box to be what is written on the outside. Is that really too much to ask? Have you guys become so complacent with the current situation that you do not recognize the indecency involved in charging full price for a broken product? Wake up people. This isn't right.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Of course you're right Summ. You're always right. I don't know why anyone else bothers having an opinion.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

I'm not sure what your problem is, GT. How can you seriously defend this kind of a business model? If you buy a box of meat and it says ox on it, and you later find out it's chicken, is that ok too? If I hire you to be an architect, but your job description turns out to be a mechanic, are you happy with that? How can you stand for false marketing? How can you stand for unfinished products being charged full price? I understand that it's a widespread phenomenon, but does that make it acceptable? If I kill a random passerby, I go to jail. But if suddenly a whole lot of people start killing random passerbys, that makes it acceptable? What kind of bs reasoning do you live by, man? Seriously.
elie8
Drift King
Drift King

Post by elie8 »

Well !! Amen to that !! This is all i needed to hear and see !! Great News !! :D 8) =P~ =D> :wink: :P
What Comes Around, Goes Around ...
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

For me I'm looking forward to the fixes for the Corvette and Viper; I'm tired of having to quit online manufacturer races with those cars 'cause I know I'll never leave the start line. Besides that, framerate improvements will also be welcome. Bring it on! :D
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

GT3x24x7 wrote:For me I'm looking forward to the fixes for the Corvette and Viper; I'm tired of having to quit online manufacturer races with those cars 'cause I know I'll never leave the start line. Besides that, framerate improvements will also be welcome. Bring it on! :D
Simply meaning that none of the issues are as big as Summ is painting them.

Return to “News”