ProStreet: First Reviews

Need for Speed ProStreet News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

ProStreet: First Reviews

Post by Bojan »

The first reviews of Need for Speed ProStreet are in and are ranging from poor,to average and great. It seems like the game makes a different impression on different reviewers:

PC:
1UP: 8.0

PS2:
Gamespot: 6.5

PS3:
1UP: 8.5
IGN: 6.8
Game Informer: 7
Yahoo Games: 4.5/5

Wii:
Gamespot: 6.5

Xbox360:
TeamXBOX: 9 (Editor's Choice)
1UP: 8.5
Gamespot: 7.0
IGN: 6.8
Yahoo Games: 4.5/5

And while Yahoo says "EA completely overhauled the Need for Speed franchise to create what is arguably the best game in the series", GameSpot on the other hands thinks "What it all boils down to is that without the story, cop chases, and open world of the last two Need for Speed games, ProStreet is just another racing game".

Two completely different ways to look at the NFS series and thus completely different scores. What do you think about it? Share you opinion in our forums.
TS-X
Drift King
Drift King

Re: ProStreet: First Reviews

Post by TS-X »

Wooooohooooo... and what i told u! One again... i say, and im 100% right and sure this time... Another hyped up NFS! According to rates, this one is even worse than carbon.... :lol:
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

Depends, the reviewers are trying to examine NFS as a game that you can play like some tactical shooter or RPG, but NFS isnt a game that can be played for year+. I.e. you always need a new version of that game. Theres no place for major expansion packs or 100+ day long gameplay where every day you see something new. Imo, reviews need different approach, its not Armed Assault or CoD Modern Warfare that you can sit years with it.
TS-X
Drift King
Drift King

Post by TS-X »

Lol... why wouldnt i play it for years. I play UG1 even today... because its fast, fun, and FUN!
Kimba
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Kimba »

Well that are bad news. Looks like EA didn't make what they promised. Scores say so. :(
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Obviously Gamespot has had too many games to review that they had to review ProStreet last 'cuz it's released almost towards the end of the year. They're too shagged to realise what they had written.

Gamespot isn't such a good source for review to me despite people telling me that it's personal preference. I'm still going to get the game anyway. Been collecting NFS games since High Stakes. :)
Python_S
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Python_S »

And also remember that Underground 2 was rated with a similar score by Gamespot and for me and many other NFS fans was the best NFS EVER!! I still have big hopes for this.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Reviewers always have something to moan about, they tests alot of games in a short peroid.
They test a game for a hour or 2 and then give it a mark.
And to start moaning about that a game has no storyline and thus it is a bad game.
Till now the best racing games I played don't have a cheasy storymode
The only racing game with a fairly good storyline was NFS Underground.
It was a original story and it has some fun in it (" so this is your fantasy?")
U2, MW and above all Carbon had a very lame storyline.
MW had 1 big plus that the game itself was pretty nice.

I really doubt that PS will be a lesser game because of the lack of a storyline wich cheesy movies in it, and it can't be much worse then Carbon was, but then it would be a challenge to make it worse :D

I'll just wait and see how this game turns out, but like said before the majority of recent NFS games don't have a long livespan.

EDIT:
NFS U2 the best NFS ever?? let met guess you started playing NFS because of the ricing scene that started with FnF et, and thought man NEON and huge fugly bodykits are soooooo cool, I have to build that myself?
For me NFS U2 was the second worst NFS game ever only Carbon managed to top that.
Only good thing in U2 was the fact that it had a decent carlist for a illegal street race game (small cars etc) but the majority of the carparts where so fugly and uber Rice that I couldn't make myself look at it, and the worst thing was that you HAD to use them to progress in the game.
maniksdi
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by maniksdi »

well .. we should start reviewing the game from the name: Need for Speed . . does anything else matter? . . . thats too much blast I guess . . yes . the game has changed from it's predecessors, but hey . . it's about time the arcade feeling gets some rest . . we will surely miss the cop chases and the annoying traffic . . but look on the brighter side . . we still get to drive our favorite cars and keep them fast . . . so our need for speed is satisfied . . there . . with few unavoidable turn offs . . . the game is surely on . . no matter how the one hour critic says it

this is what gets me mad . . comparing games with other games . . . we should compare the games from our taste . . not other games . . . this is where I strongly stick with Yahoo review . . and also their critics (the announcers are really annoying)

edit: I strongly agree with TheStig about undergroung2 being the worst nfs game ever . . in my opinion, even carbon could not top that . . the gameplay was nothing but a pain . . ug2 was a major turnoff after the great ug1 . . nfs High Stakes stays no1 for me to this day . . altho nfs2se was more fun :P
Python_S
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Python_S »

Stig... You can't deny it's one of the most loved games by the NFS Community..apart from this childish ricer thing...
zdravkelja
Ricer
Ricer

Post by zdravkelja »

EA is anoying. Why must they make a new game every year. That's not a long time. Why don't they just sit down and make a game for a 2 years, and make it good. :evil:
Zonda_Z
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Zonda_Z »

Dude, the demo shows it all, EA really has given us what they promised, but i feel a bit disapointed of not having free run mods.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

The way I see it, there are plenty of people who either want NFS to be like the original NFS series with NFS Porsche being the perfect representative and the other side wants NFS to be like Underground2 for the easy arcade racing, free roam, possibly cops and car customization.
And ProStreet isn't like any of those two types. So it all rolls down to whether you like the game or not. As soon as you start comparing it to previous titles, you're going to hate it because it is in fact nothing like any previous titles.

Oh and please, saying that the lack of story is bad for a racing game is kind of lame. Never heard anybody complaining that Gran Turismo or Forza lacks a storyline...
clikky
Ricer
Ricer

Post by clikky »

i dont get it, why does the ps2 always have a few cars whereas all the other consoles get all the cars? :? :evil:
Yeh because gran turismo has loads of cars and they are still more realistic than need for speed :x so wats going on
Last edited by clikky on 16 Nov 2007, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
newnoob
Stock
Stock

Post by newnoob »

Well The sad thing about the game being thrashed by the critics is that EA, for once had taken a chance by revamping the game. We know how EA after all, is a Big company with big goals. The worst thing that can happen now is that the EA backtracks, throwing out innovation, just to please some critics.
If you wait long enough.... If you are patient..... Nothing will happen - Garfield
ChZ^^
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ChZ^^ »

I dont really care about what they say, IMO it looks very good you actually get the feeling of speed (wich is rare) And about carbon, it is good, only gameplay that sucks. In most wanted you could only choose bodykits and 1 vinyl, which stinks. In carbon we could made 20 vinyls and move them around and change how big they would be and turn them around. And we could choose front bumper, rear bumber etc. and autosculph them + you could still get bodykits.

Prostreet is going to be one of the best nfs games yet, and you shouldnt stop buying it because some guy who played it says it sucks [-X
Death Must Be Easy Because Life Is Hard?
Strafer
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Strafer »

Who cares about some number. I like the game.
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

If IGN gives Prostreet a 6.8 because of the lack of a free-roam and story mode, then we are in for a bloody good game. Honestly, how could a tacky storyline possibly become a deciding factor on weather to buy a racing game?? It just doesn't make any sense.
Looking forward till prostreets release date then :P

BTW, I’d have to agree with Stigs comments about Underground 2. High Stakes would have to be my favourite Need for speed game to date. Those were the good ol’ days.
GroundZero
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by GroundZero »

zdravkelja wrote:EA is anoying. Why must they make a new game every year. That's not a long time. Why don't they just sit down and make a game for a 2 years, and make it good. :evil:
They do, because it's different "parts" of EA that makes the different games. And as I've heard ProStreet is made by EA BlackBox? BlackBox made HP2 and I LOVE HP:2 :) So I have big hopes for this game, and the only remark I've found so far is that they removed the ability to tape the bumpers on again. Is that true that they removed it?
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

clikky wrote:i dont get it, why does the ps2 always have a few cars whereas all the other consoles get all the cars? :? :evil:
Coz the PS2 disk is very small insize it's only a DVD-R so most car models would have to go also along with new features so thats why PS2 sucks with newest games.. No offence to PS2 users though.

Xbox 360 has a DVD-DL (Duel layer) which expands the size of a regular DVD disk 8.5GB as i have heard.. :| and what google tells me.

PS3 uses Blu Ray which google told me 100GB disk, that would be more then enough for EA to just use the same files as Xbox 360 and recreate the control's etc, so thats why PS3 & X360 look both the same in someway. :)

Note: info on disk sizes was collected from google..
BAS231187
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by BAS231187 »

i always think you should ignor the numbers anyway. u need to read the review to see if ur prioritys are the same as the reviewers.
with a story, cop chases and all sorts of other things to make it stand out. ProStreet, however, goes back to the track-based racing,
ign complained a lot because the handeling wasnt to his taste, there wasnt a story, cops or free roam.
It dispenses -- hopefully for good -- with the second-rate storylines, the police chases, and all the bad acting that sullied previous installments
1up loved the handeling of the cars so it cant be all that bad its just diffrent. they also commended the removal of cops and free roam.

i was personaly was never botherd about the story line. free roam got anoying after ud taken in all the eye candy. it just took time to get to the next race. the cops are what keep me playing most wanted, even now. but is more of a "iv got a spare 10 mins... lets go annoy those cops" so i dont mind that being dropped either as i still have most wanted.

there for im going to be taking the 8.5 score from 1up. witch is good enough for me to buy it. altho i still have to wait for it to come out in europe so if it is really nasty im sure all u guys will warn me :D
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Bojan wrote:The first reviews of Need for Speed ProStreet are in and are ranging from poor,to average and great. It seems like the game makes a different impression on different reviewers.
And while Yahoo says "EA completely overhauled the Need for Speed franchise to create what is arguably the best game in the series", GameSpot on the other hands thinks "What it all boils down to is that without the story, cop chases, and open world of the last two Need for Speed games, ProStreet is just another racing game".

Two completely different ways to look at the NFS series and thus completely different scores.
It is completely obvious for ProStreet to have ratings from poor to great, because it's very different than other NFSs (the last ones are all similar: U, U2, MW, C) and everyone had it's favourite NFS. Those to who ProStreet is very different than their fav don't like it.
If this would be C2 or something like that, ratings would be average, but it's different and that's why some ppl like it different and some hate it.
SchuMito
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SchuMito »

IGN was one of the main sites who gave a very good impression of the game when they played a beta version. Now they come along and tell us it su.ks?! Is there something fishy in it? To tell you the truth... I don't bother myself a lot If I don't have a story line or a beautifull girl washing my windscreen with her curves - I buy Need For Speed to race! As someone else said in posts before... no one ever complained for the lack of story line in GT or Forza? So what is all this hassle about? It could be this is the revival of NFS. The only thing I really always complain about is the lack of original body kits like veilside, bomex and West - something that makes customisation in Juiced 2 great. I've always done 3 careers from NFSU till NFSMW, in Carbon I did only one and I annoyed myself in the middle of it. Pro Street would be a great game - I'm pretty sure. I've played the NFS PS demo and GT HD on my ps3. When comparing the handling of PS to GT, IGN said that GT turns much easier... has the author of the article drunk a whole cellar of Vodka before writing the article or what?
spike_minoda
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by spike_minoda »

u guys really should read the whole article , not the conclusion
You'll also be doing a lot of drag racing. It's fun for a bit, but gets old quickly thanks in no small part to the preceding minigame in which you have to heat up your tires--it's lame, and you have to do it before each of the three rounds. While there's no shortage of events, there isn't a whole lot of variety. Many of them feel the same--you just want to go fast. This makes the game grow old quickly, a problem when there are so many events to slog through before you reach the end.
The game also grows tiresome because the action on the track just isn't that exciting. Some of the later cars you unlock, like the Lamborghini and Zonda, are superfast, but for the first 50 races you'll be racing some rather pedestrian vehicles. Since you're on a track there are no shortcuts, so many of the courses end up feeling the same, especially since a "new" course is just an old one with a few different turns
ProStreet's audio isn't very good. This is mostly the fault of the game's announcers, who are poorly voiced, have a terrible script, yell into the microphone, insist on calling you by your full name every time they refer to you (which is hundreds of times over the course of the game), and basically do everything they can to get on your nerves.
Basically it's just the game get boring really fast coz it's too repetitive . This is the same problem with NFSU2 , i love the demo , and the full game gets really really boring , i have the same felling about NFSPS too , demo comes out , speed challenge is fun , but cant do that all day , grip racing is boring, and looks like it's just another boring NFS game. Lucky for me , i havent ordered my copy yet. Anyway it's my own opinion , dont want to offense anyone . Btw i confirm they are right for at least 1 point: The announcers are REALLY annoying !!!
ChZ^^
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ChZ^^ »

I dont really care about the announcers, and they have to make it repetitive or else they have to make the career short like carbon, which everyone hated and they couldnt awoid both unless they would make 20 kinds of racing. :?
Death Must Be Easy Because Life Is Hard?

Return to “News”