What is EA going to mess up and/or overlook in Shift 2

2011 SHIFT 2 Unleashed
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

What is EA going to mess up and/or overlook in Shift 2

Post by oshaylinux »

EA has become predictable since Underground for leaving out somethings and/or overlooking them, in their effort to try to emphasize one or two features that they deem "awesome"... example :underground had the raised toll bridge(gosh jumping bridges are fun) EA put it back in mw at the very very end...in u2 the driver had to drive around the free roam world to get to every race...mw had watered down customizations and no drifting...carbon had plastic cars and weak cops chases...prostreet's driving engine was like driving speed boats...undercover(joke) everything...shift-oversize and overly complicated menus and the cars turned at the center instead of the front...world- it's free so i guess you get what you pay for, or do you...hp 2010- yall tell me...

Ok now the big thing about Shift 2 Unleashed is the helmet cam...

So what is EA going to mess up in Shift 2?...

I say the driving engine again and menu system and weak controller controlled menus for PC...

Your turn what do you think EA will mess up in Shift 2 Unleashed?
Last edited by oshaylinux on 18 Dec 2010, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Re: What is EA going to mess up and/or overlook in Shift 2

Post by ElvenAvenger »

DLC support for PC

either Radeons or AMD processors or Intel Core i7's will have problems - but console version wont have those bugs

they will release patches for those problems as "content" for PC players and call it a day

Probably half of the worlds population wont be able to run it because of a bug or trying to run it on a 6600 GT

It will work fine for me and i wont understand whats wrong, and then EA says " no DLC for PC" and i will rage. :lol: Scenario for most need for speed games lately.
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by oshaylinux »

I forgot about how they "hoodwinked" us PC players out of no DLC for shift...I only reason i paid as much as i did for shift, because i thought we might be getting the Ferrari pack also...

1. messed up menus
2. messed up driving engine
3. messed up mouse and controller support
4. wont be able to fully control the game with the controller
5. no in-game chat for pc
6. console version will need patching
7. have to confirm language every time
8. have to click "OK" to get passed the "your game has loaded successfully" screen
9. the pc patch will make the game crash
10. the Helmet Came is going to be messed up
11. they are going to leave out some popular race types... i will say drag racing
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

oshaylinux wrote: .mw had no real exotics ..
What version of MW did you play?
What do you consider the Lamborghini Gallardo, Murciélago, Porsche Carerra GT, McLaren Mercedes SLR to be?

Other then that... yeah you got it pretty much right. EA is know for messing stuff up and leaving stuff out.

I personally don't care much anymore, haven't played Shift and only played the HP demo and don't think I will bother buying it either. same goes for Shift 2.
HP looked really nice, but the handling was way to arcade for me... I mean common only way to get around a corner with speed is with the handbrake? what is that all about.

I'm happy enough with the Forza Motorsport series, tries GT5 but the fact that it's basically for 20% finished didn't do it for me either.
And for the PC problems... meh... don't use the PC for gaming anymore, it's days as game system are long gone.
acbx
Ricer
Ricer

Post by acbx »

You know you're not doing so well when people start a topic of a game you're making about the things that'll be overlooked and messed up. I'm not hoping much but shift was nearly perfect with sharp tires mod.

I really hope they prove us all wrong.
HP looked really nice, but the handling was way to arcade for me... I mean common only way to get around a corner with speed is with the handbrake? what is that all about.
Well, what did you expect from a game that's notorious for having arcadish handling?
and...
And for the PC problems... meh... don't use the PC for gaming anymore, it's days as game system are long gone.
:lol:
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by oshaylinux »

TheStig wrote:
oshaylinux wrote: .mw had no real exotics ..
What version of MW did you play?
What do you consider the Lamborghini Gallardo, Murciélago, Porsche Carerra GT, McLaren Mercedes SLR to be?

You are correct about the MW part, which made me correct my OP.

PC problems, the last i checked, consoles games are needing patching.

As for as the PC not being a present gaming system, you're so mistaken.
LancerEvoFan0504
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by LancerEvoFan0504 »

oshaylinux wrote:As for as the PC not being a present gaming system, you're so mistaken.
Actually PC gaming is dying and PC games are getting more and more downgraded the age of PC gaming is dying and the age of gaming consoles has begun eventually there will be a new thing to replace the console and so on and so on.
_BLAHHEAD_
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by _BLAHHEAD_ »

LancerEvoFan0504 wrote:
oshaylinux wrote:As for as the PC not being a present gaming system, you're so mistaken.
Actually PC gaming is dying and PC games are getting more and more downgraded the age of PC gaming is dying and the age of gaming consoles has begun eventually there will be a new thing to replace the console and so on and so on.
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Ever heard of Steam? Wow? Starcraft 2? Minecraft? The galores of MMOs?

PC ain't dying, it's just alot of idiots who think it's dying.
LancerEvoFan0504
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by LancerEvoFan0504 »

Well its either the PC is dying or the gaming console is growing I mean there are still good PC games but if you haven't noticed PC games are starting to get watered down compared to the console version of the game (if there is a console version).
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

I've heard this thing ("PC gaming is dying") for the past 10 years or so. Everyone who says so deserves a big facepalm. Seriously.

PC gaming didn't die, PC gaming is not dying and PC gaming will never die. It is true that the console market has been growing for a long time now, and there is certainly much more support and games being released for the consoles. But PC gaming is where the innovation takes place, and there are games which simply are better on a PC, be it graphically or related to gameplay (FPS, MMOs, RPGs, RTS, Racing Simulators, Flight Simulators). And if companies do release good products on the PC, they get money. Now, when I see lack of DLC, lack of support, badly ported games, no demos and so on... I mean, I have the right to complain and not buy the game!

Look at well done PC games by companies who care (Rockstar, Valve, Blizzard, Codemasters, SimBin, just to name a few), and you will see they sell very well and there's profit. Especially now that STEAM has definitely taken the keys of digital distribution.

The "PC gaming is dying" thing is pure shiznit. Consoles come and go, PC is always here. :)

PS: Btw I am not a PC fanboy and I do not hate consoles (in fact I would love to have one).
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Well...this is a pretty negative topic name isn't it?

And on the death of PC gaming, what a load of rubbish. I mean, the more casual audience usually prefer consoles, not saying there aren't serious gamers on PS3/XBOX 360 (noticed how I left out wii? :P ). But each system caters to different games needs - f.e. I find FPS games a lot better to play on PC as the mouse and keyboard input gives you a lot more control than a gamepad. It's really just a personal preference thing, and PC gaming is quieter, but just a strong and still thriving.
Well its either the PC is dying or the gaming console is growing I mean there are still good PC games but if you haven't noticed PC games are starting to get watered down compared to the console version of the game (if there is a console version).
And more directly to this quote, it's quite the contrary. I have found the PC games to be of a higher production value, and the only instances in which you get this supposed 'watered down' game come in porting of the game from console to PC. This basically means that the game was designed for console, is will usually be better on a console than a computer. However, even in the case of porting, a lot of games will get additional content and/or features for the PC version, cancelling out the statement at the very least.

Another factor is that PC's offer a higher level of graphical performance, depending on your specs, of course. Games have settings that can push models, detail and overall graphics settings beyond those of their console counterparts.

PC gaming is more community orientated, and a lot of the time people prefer to buy multi-platform games on PC due to the flexibility the computer offers. As an example, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was a PC only game, and then released on consoles later on. However, people generally preferred playing on PC because of the strong modding community on PC that is available, building the game to a level beyond the retail release of the game. This is the case for a lot of games in the PC gaming spectrum.

I'm not trying to start a debate on PC vs Console, because their is no definitive answer, as I said previously, it is purely a matter of personal preference, the game at hand, and the seriousness of the player. I'm merely stating several reasons why the quote was incorrect, and that PC games more often than not are not watered down, and to the contrary are higher quality releases to their console counterparts, and some additionally reasoning why PC gaming is far from dead.

Btw, not trying to hate on you LancerEvoFan, just felt like clearing some stuff up for everybody.
Xzidique
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Xzidique »

The problem begins that most of the players during our time prefer consoles over PCs as Dr Houbenheimer stated before and apparently each developer can reach these people easier than the general PC gamers. This is where the money is (consoles).
We have developers such as blizzard that they produce PC only games and they get pilles of bricks, of USD. These guys offer quality (even if I dont play their releases). In the other hand EA the only thing that does correctly is spamming us with titles that they have potential but with luck of features and quality. They begin designing a title with an X amount of $$$ and they stick to it they dont want to exceed their limits of funding and extend their timetables. And thats what they do the last decade. So imagine a project such as NFS Shift that it is multiplatform and the developers have 15-16months to accomplish it for every gaming machine on the planet (EVEN THE F*****G CELPHONES). Even with 1000 people studio you cannot control this. They cannot just support DX11 for the PC version, its tooo expensive.
The Problem spreads and to other developers as well such as UBISOFT, ACTIVISION, MICROSOFT...just to name a few.
Its harder for a teenager to build himself a good gaming computer than to log into the Amazon and buy himself a console.
A teenager is going to spend his/hers pocket money to buy the latest Nfs or Crysis or whatever not an adult who has a hectic schedule a couple of jobs and maybe a family behind him to support.
So even if I dont like it because I grew up with the PC platform as the main entertainment box I have to face the fact that the developers they dont care any more for the PC.
Gears of War sold around 6 million copies for the Xbox...Ask yourselves how much did it sell for PC ;)

I am 27 years old, I use my PC for work and internet....BUT when the Shift arrives..hell yeah I am gonna go for it!
Despite it is EA...the first one left me a good impression.
I cross my fingers for an updated graphics engine for the PC and not that hideous drift gameplay from the first one.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Funny that a comment by me, stirred up such emotions,

And the best thing is, that I never said anything about PC gaming in general... read it again, It's about MY PC.

But like said above, console games do outsell PC games, sure there are some highly popular PC games, but they are in general RPG MMO etc, or indeed hardcore racing sims where you NEED a full race setup.
Other then that, FPS games did always have the highest following on PC.
I for one was one of the people that said, well FPS games don't work on a console as well as a PC because of the way the keyboard and mouse work together just great, and you have so much less options with a controller.
But the only games I now play on the PC are old games, just to go back to memory lane sometimes, and even that is now ruined by Windows 7 because have of my old games don't work any more with 64 bit.

But to go back to FPS games, everybody knows that at this moment the biggest selling FPS is CoD BO, and well the sales figures tell us that the PC is not even close to being sold as much as the main 2 consoles.
First Month sales:
X360: 4.9 mil
PS3: 3.1 mil
PC/Wii/DS: 400k

These figures are the box sales, so sales on Steam are included, but everybody knows that won't be like 3 mil in a month ;)

Sure there are still plenty of PC games but the days that the PC was THE gaming platform are over, if you like it or not, sure you can mod a lot of PC games, and stuff like that, I do miss that, but with my 360 I got so much more then that all in 1 box, it lets me communicate and game at the same time with friends or just chat/talk with them and being behind the PC, sure everything can be done with the PC also, but it's just so much easier and quicker to work with (I am not talking about CPU speeds or anything, just about easy access and compatibility)
Other reason for game builders etc to work more with (specific) consoles is that they are simply easier to work with because all have the same hardware (of same platform ofcourse ;)) and you can build your engine to work with that hardware package without making it compatible with countless videocards,CPU's etc.
It saves time and thus money to do it that way.

I loved my Gaming PC back in the day, but didn't love to keep on upgrading it with expensive videocards and such.
Now I spend what? I bought 1 360 when it came out (was fairly expensive back then) and 2 years or so later bought a 2nd one because well I liked that it was black.... that one costed me like 250 euro. and I gave the old one to my brother.
Sure the games are more expensive but I buy a game once every 2 months or so.

But to get back to NFS S2, I'm sure EA will find a way to weewee people off, what else is new :lol:
Cross
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Cross »

I won't criticize any of the series since I know that they are apparently good games, according to reviews and people testimonies. But for me, I find it strange that after all this series I can still only play the MW, very rarely dough. I REALLY tried to get used to Shift for which I had really high hopes, but my mind did not understand what it was getting. Not an arcade, not a simulation, some twisted mix of the two, and on a racing track, totally uncalled for. But thats just me, what I find most surprising, is that none of the other houses like Codemasters which really understands how a driving game should feel like did not grab the opportunity to release a nfs type game. It would be such a hit I think. Grid racing downtown, imagine that. How come that all those well payed EA project managers cannot figure out what nfs series are really missing nowadays. Just check the forums EA, you do have internet access I presume, it's all there.

Well I don't bother myself much, I have a Crysis 2 coming soon.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

99% sure there will be some console exclusive DLC, which itself is pissing me off more than any bug ever did in World, and people going like "lol learn to play Silvia isn't overpowered you just can't drive/learn to play ramming is part of the game"

>_>

I bet Silvia, Elise, and M3(if it is in Shift 2) won't be the dominant cars, or even good at all.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

Mehhhhh. >.<

I'm not going to assume a damn thing. I'll play the actual GAME before I start critiquing.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by oshaylinux »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:Well...this is a pretty negative topic name isn't it?
we know they are going to get things wrong most of them with intent, they always do. the whole idea of making the games "accessible to everyone" is just "code" for saying, they're going to build the game for casual minded gamers.

13 or 14. the AIs will be more suicidal than in shift. the makers of nfs of late, have managed to make the AIs so unintelligent and they have no since of personality.
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by oshaylinux »

Cross wrote:I won't criticize any of the series since I know that they are apparently good games, according to reviews and people testimonies. But for me, I find it strange that after all this series I can still only play the MW, very rarely dough. I REALLY tried to get used to Shift for which I had really high hopes, but my mind did not understand what it was getting. Not an arcade, not a simulation, some twisted mix of the two, and on a racing track, totally uncalled for. But thats just me, what I find most surprising, is that none of the other houses like Codemasters which really understands how a driving game should feel like did not grab the opportunity to release a nfs type game. It would be such a hit I think. Grid racing downtown, imagine that. How come that all those well payed EA project managers cannot figure out what nfs series are really missing nowadays. Just check the forums EA, you do have internet access I presume, it's all there.

Well I don't bother myself much, I have a Crysis 2 coming soon.
wait a minute. you meant this to be an oxymoron didn't you? very very clever, dude. i thought you were serious for a minute, then i read your last two sentences of the paragraph .
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

oshaylinux wrote: we know they are going to get things wrong most of them with intent, they always do. the whole idea of making the games "accessible to everyone" is just "code" for saying, they're going to build the game for casual minded gamers.
Oh noes. A racing game for casual gamers. That's not right, NERDRAEG!!!!!11!!1!1!!
[end sarcasm]

And building Shift 2 for casual gamers (assuming it's what the game will be geared for) is wrong... how?
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Probably because trailers show the game as(or call it) real racing.....

Thats like adding F1 cars in NFS World.
It would be rather weird....
(though we already have a car that behaves like one of those F1 machines....Lotus Elise)
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

They're already overlooking the fact that they've set their goal bar a little too high.

Helmet cam looks cool but the rest of it I reckon will be like the first Shift. Kinda meh. If they can make a more fun game than Race Driver GRID I'll be mildly interested but I very seriously doubt, considering their reputation, they'll topple Forza 3.
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by oshaylinux »

15. even losers win....i'm talking about the point system that's in many games today and that was in shift and going to be in shift 2:u. well how it's implemented. i'm all for getting credits for things like overtaking, clean laps, and drafting cars, and the like, but it should only count if you place at least third.

1. messed up menus....by now, menus should be a thing of perfection in the gaming world. the menus fonts in shift were too big on the main menu. the menus were too complicated, menus should be simple. there was a much greater learning curve to the menus than the game itself.

4. wont be able to fully control the game with the controller...many of us pc gamers prefer other input devices other the keyboard. those of us who chooses not to use the keyboard should not have to use the keyboard to control any aspect of the game the game. let me make it simple: after starting the game, i should be able to control the game fully with my controller of choice and not have to rely on the keyboard or the mouse any any point.

the two below: are damn ridiculously redundant. you all are too intelligent to make such unintelligent decisions like theses:
7. have to confirm language every time
8. have to click "OK" to get passed the "your game has loaded successfully" screen
AJ_Lethal
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AJ_Lethal »

oshaylinux wrote:15. even losers win....i'm talking about the point system that's in many games today and that was in shift and going to be in shift 2:u. well how it's implemented. i'm all for getting credits for things like overtaking, clean laps, and drafting cars, and the like, but it should only count if you place at least third.
That's like not getting your paycheck if you don't make it to the podium in the 24H of LeMans.
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by oshaylinux »

AJ_Lethal wrote:
oshaylinux wrote:15. even losers win....i'm talking about the point system that's in many games today and that was in shift and going to be in shift 2:u. well how it's implemented. i'm all for getting credits for things like overtaking, clean laps, and drafting cars, and the like, but it should only count if you place at least third.
That's like not getting your paycheck if you don't make it to the podium in the 24H of LeMans.
we're talking about two different things here. i'm talking about the point system that allows you to level up even if you consistently place last in every race.
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by oshaylinux »

KammyworldRacerGT4 wrote:
oshaylinux wrote: we know they are going to get things wrong most of them with intent, they always do. the whole idea of making the games "accessible to everyone" is just "code" for saying, they're going to build the game for casual minded gamers.
Oh noes. A racing game for casual gamers. That's not right, NERDRAEG!!!!!11!!1!1!!
[end sarcasm]

And building Shift 2 for casual gamers (assuming it's what the game will be geared for) is wrong... how?
imo, casual gamers want things quick, easy, and "fun". applying that train of thought to games that are largely based on real world things, makes it hard to take it seriously and gain a good solid gaming experience.

applying quick, easy, and "fun" to non casual games, tend to leave you with a game that's: shallow, fun only last about five minutes, and a false since of accomplishment. sadly, this is done for those lesser skilled gamers who's more than willing to pay to have the egos stroked so they to can "beat their chests".

Return to “SHIFT 2 Unleashed”