Shift 2 Unleashed: Fact or Fiction or Hype?

2011 SHIFT 2 Unleashed
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Shift 2 Unleashed: Fact or Fiction or Hype?

Post by oshaylinux »

Are the below statements claims, Fact or Fiction or Hype?

1. Fiction.
THE SEQUEL TO THE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED NEED FOR SPEED™ SHIFT™ RETURNS TO THE TRACK TO DELIVER THE MOST PHYSICAL RACING EXPERIENCE TO DATE WITH SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED™
http://www.needforspeed.com/shift2unleashed

There's no physical component to it; it's not a theme park ride.

2. Fiction/Hype.
SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED sets the bar for realistic racing
and delivers all the excitement and intensity of race day in a groundbreaking true-to-life experience.
http://www.needforspeed.com/shift2unleashed.

the makers of S2U have stated several times in interviews, that they think REAL world accurate simulators are "sterile and boring."

3. Fiction.
...the fastest racing game on the planet, SHIFT 2 Unleashed.
http://www.facebook.com/needforspeed

Trackmania franchise hold that honor.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Shift 2 Unleashed: Fact or Fiction or Hype?

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Try not to be such a pedant.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

And after several years we now know EA is hyping up everything, nothing new, I always read right past the EA advertising.

It might become a pretty nice game, I really doubt I will get it at release, and more likely when the game drops in price a fair bit and only then when the reviews are good, if not I'll give it the same treatment as HP and Shift 1.....

The sad thing is EA always goes to great lengths to make us believe it will be a superb game, give us countless of great looking screenshots of very nice cars and tracks/sceneries, and hyping up some feature that is almost always not as great or revolutionary as they say, often a MEH at best.
But when the game or demo finally comes it all comes down to what the final product really is.
No amount of screenshots and movies can tell you that.

So I'll wait and see, I don't read anything EA said in statements or in interviews, I only watch the pics and occasionally a movie of it.
And yet again it does look good, and does have a load of tracks (hopefully the Nordschleife now looks like the real thing instead of in shift where I had no clue sometimes where I was.)
But I'll wait and see what everybody else says.

Conclusion: don't listen to EA's PR BS and think for yourself ;)
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

and stop looking for places to rip on nfs
Instagram @SupraHKS
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

No obviously its just marketing stuff. Stuff you see on the back of a box. Stuff you see in adverts.

So obviously they will tell you that not only the game is soooo gooood and awesooooome, but that its a sequel to a game thats just as awesome, made by awesome people for awesome people to be used in an awesome way. Oh and its awesomely awesome.

But looking at just the trailers, screenshots and gameplay videos, it is going to be at least better than Shift.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

@oshaylinux: Do you know what the word "marketing" means? Publicity?

EA is trying to sell a product. Obviously they must say it is the best game ever made, and they will release nice trailers and screenshots to make you believe that. What do you expect them to say, that SHIFT 2 (or any other of their games) is a bad game? That would be stupid at the very least. No company will say something bad about a product they want to sell.

Every game company does that. Every game has a nice description on its back, saying how good and awesome it is. Hell, every product on this planet is positively marketed by the people who want to sell it.

EA does a lot of hype to their games = true. They do a tiny thing and they say it's a revolution and the best thing ever made = true (ProStreet's smoke, for example). Do you have to believe that? No. And remember that all those sentences can mean various things. Each person will do his own interpretation. If you would come up to EA and say "this statement is false", they would say that you misunderstood the statement. And they would be right. That's not facts, that's publicity. And those statements are ambiguous.

Now, if they say "we will feature 500 cars in SHIFT 2", and if you only find 250 cars after buying the game and all the DLC, that's different. That's false advertising, or whatever it is called. But EA is not doing that, and as far as I know, they never did.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Most of time all those sentences are not 'false', rather true in a way. Its like saying that a game has many cars, but all that is different is their production year. Like '69 Charger, then maybe '70 Charger, 2005 S2000, 2003 S2000. They are very alike but the carlist is big. :lol:
T0MMY
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by T0MMY »

oshaylinux wrote:Are the below statements claims, Fact or Fiction or Hype?
3. Fiction.
...the fastest racing game on the planet, SHIFT 2 Unleashed.
http://www.facebook.com/needforspeed

Trackmania franchise hold that honor.
i dont think Trackmania holds that, Trackmania holds the most balance and fair online racer. No ramming, everybody use the same car, everybody got a limited time on a course and fair ladder point system aka experience points system.

for me i think simulators are boring and you need stuff like steering wheel to play it. Playing GTR2 using keyboard is hard as hell, I think Shift 2 semi-sim style will be better for everybody, casual people get to enjoy it as well as hardcore sim players.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Indeed EA would be stupid if they would not hype it all up, that's what sells the games, most casual gamers are not die hard fans so don't bother to much about the downsides, and there are a lot of them so EA will keep on selling their games, because it's a known product and if they give it a lot of nice features (even if it only looks spectacular on the back of the box)

I have no doubt that Shift 2 will be better then the original one, but by how much.....

That's the wait and see game. :wink:
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

I found that post quite humorous, mainly because of recent years, people have been hating on EA pretty badly, but this just takes it to a preposterous level. No offence, but you remind me of that smart-ass class mate that everyone had back in primary school, it's pretty painful.

I think you know that your just trying to pick on them, I mean, as Hydro said, its publicity, and it's not even that overhyped. The game may or may not be a success in your eyes, just don't get aggravated over what they're saying; I mean, can you think of a game that wasn't advertised in such a manner?
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by oshaylinux »

There's advertising, there's hyping, and then there's straight up BullShting! EA's advertisement presentation of S2U is the latter.

As intelligent gamers...
1. why not challenge EA on it's BS claims even when you know it is?
2. why take issue with those who do call out EA?

I never said Shift nor Shift 2U is going to be failures.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Welcome to the 21st century. Either get used to it, or remain forever a hater.
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by oshaylinux »

1. If i have an affinity for a game, then i'm not worried or bothered by what others say or think about it, are you?

2. Being critical of a game is not the same as being negative.

3. I dont need to personal insult people, because my points hold their own weight.

4. If hating BS makes me a "hater", then hater i am.

5. When did knowingly, getting BS out of your money, ever become acceptable?
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Corporately always, privately never. BS is used to sell everything, if you are getting hung up on BS how do you cope...

Return to “SHIFT 2 Unleashed”