Re: IGN Review...

Post by Dragster »

I don't know... looks pretty good to me. Damage system especially <3
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Wow, the part with Caterham driving next to the big Audi right before crashing....i'd be scared as hell driving a tiny light car near that Audi.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

A comment like that sounds like a bit like the unnecessary hate that people just want to give EA, S2U, in my eyes, looks like a solid game and sequel to the original SHIFT, and got a solid, but not spectacular vote, which was what I was mostly expecting. It's not revolutionary or perfection, but its a solid game that in general works well in all areas.

Seems to me as though it was voted pretty fairly, especially when you consider the low votes that previous NFS games have got from IGN in the past - just from recollection I think it was IGN who gave Prostreet a 5.5 or 6? Don't quote me on that score, but Prostreet wasn't that bad of a game.

Thanks for posting the review.
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Post by [T][U][N][3][R] »

Pro Street got 7.5 from GT as far as I know. IGN, no idea since they didn't show the scores in video reviews back then...
Undercover got a well deserved 4, Carbon was underrated with only 8, and Most Wanted got 9.5 when it deserved 9.6. Lame.

N E way, the reason I think that it's overrated is because... well, apart from the helmet view, the night races and the crashes (which aren't better or worse than in the 1st Shift, just different) it's Shift all over again. Nothing really new, they didn't even add the 1st Shift's DLC cars. Also shares the same problems as Shift, same crappy controls, poorly optimized, I haven't tried the vinyl system yet but I'm sure it's the same...

Good thing EA decided to separate Shift from NFS though, maybe now we'll get some decent games since Black Box / Criterion / whoever else makes NFS games aren't forced to make a 1 year dead line... right? :(

Btw, the 1st Shift got 9.0, and to be honest I kinda like that one better, although I don't like ether one of them that much ^^
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

to each their own

and I think it's been said, there isn't TOO MUCH more innovation you could put into a racing game

and from the short 30 minutes I've played, it's quite solid

going to play a lot more later
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

zedex wrote:isn't TOO MUCH more innovation you could put into a racing game
Say what?! :evil:
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

[T][U][N][3][R] wrote:Pro Street got 7.5 from GT as far as I know. IGN, no idea since they didn't show the scores in video reviews back then...
Undercover got a well deserved 4, Carbon was underrated with only 8, and Most Wanted got 9.5 when it deserved 9.6. Lame.

N E way, the reason I think that it's overrated is because... well, apart from the helmet view, the night races and the crashes (which aren't better or worse than in the 1st Shift, just different) it's Shift all over again. Nothing really new, they didn't even add the 1st Shift's DLC cars. Also shares the same problems as Shift, same crappy controls, poorly optimized, I haven't tried the vinyl system yet but I'm sure it's the same...

Good thing EA decided to separate Shift from NFS though, maybe now we'll get some decent games since Black Box / Criterion / whoever else makes NFS games aren't forced to make a 1 year dead line... right? :(

Btw, the 1st Shift got 9.0, and to be honest I kinda like that one better, although I don't like ether one of them that much ^^
Eh?

Aside from Ferrari's, which obviously wont come for PC and PS3, we got from (every DLC released on Shift):
Toyota Supra
69 Charger
Old Shelby GT500 (dont remember the year, sue me :lol: )
Old Challenger R/T
Corvette Stingray. - Complete team racing pack free DLC.

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
BMW M1 Procar
Gumpert Apollo
Honda NSX - Sort of, we got the Acura NSX...
McLaren MP4-12C
Maserati GranTurismo S
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Stirling Moss

Exotic Racing Series - complete

So, what about the 'we didn't get the cars from DLC' ?
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

I have no McLaren MP4-12C and no NSX.

Fine, we didn't get ALL the cars from DLC. Happy? And they had no excuse not to add Ferrari's.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

[T][U][N][3][R] wrote:I have no McLaren MP4-12C and no NSX.

Fine, we didn't get ALL the cars from DLC. Happy? And they had no excuse not to add Ferrari's.
Remember that EA always has an excuse :lol:

BTW, no McLaren and NSX? Weird. Its in the carlist, and its not a limited edition or some other exclusive car.
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

ElvenAvenger wrote:

BTW, no McLaren and NSX? Weird. Its in the carlist, and its not a limited edition or some other exclusive car.
Lol true.

Anyway I tried browsing the car lot several times (sometimes it jumps cars) and still no sign of 'em.
tool831
Ricer
Ricer

Post by tool831 »

@Tuner:

In my game I have the those cars.. So why you don't is a mystery.
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by oshaylinux »

ElvenAvenger wrote:

Dont yall know EA stands for, EA(Excuses Available)?
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

tool831 wrote:@Tuner:

In my game I have the those cars.. So why you don't is a mystery.
After I re-started the career it even appeared in one of the movies. Still nowhere to be seen in game...

EDIT: I found it now (lol).
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

I browsed the car lot and didn't find the McLaren MP4-12C either. Is it available to buy or is just a reward car? :)

I played SHIFT 2 for about 30 minutes yesterday and I think it's a good game. It is a direct sequel to SHIFT so there is a lot of things that look similar, obviously. But the elite handling mode and the physics are definitely improved, still nowhere near a PC simulator. The cars slide less, still there is some weird lack of grip. Drift is WAY better, I only tried the Renault Mégane but it felt much better. I hope the RWD cars are even better for drifting.

The FFB is not that good IMO, and there is some "lag" between what I do in my MOMO and what happens in the game. I've already tried different settings but it's not working how I want it. More players in other forums with a MOMO are complaining about this, maybe it is just necessary to keep trying new settings, I don't know. I'll try later on to see if I can get things working. Other than that this game IS NOT a simulator, not even a "light one". It's arcade. But it is fun and enjoyable. And that's what I expect from SHIFT. :)

The AI seems to be more careful than in SHIFT, but on the other hand they are a bit stupid even in HARD difficulty. They don't really care about overtaking or defending positions and it is easy to spin them. Maybe they will get better in faster cars, I don't know.

Graphically the game is AMAZING, and to be honest quite near GT5 in my opinion. The textures are sharp and very nice to look at, there's a lot of detail put in the cars and tracks and overall the effects are realistic. Night racing is superb, all those light effects are top notch! It seems to me it is better optimized than SHIFT, I ran it at maximum settings and 15 cars on track and the framerate, though not very good, was playable. Reducing the AA and AF helps a lot. :D

I only tried two cars, but the sounds of those two are very good too, so there should be no problems with that. I will keep playing SHIFT 2 through the weekend and if it pleases me well, Monday I will order the Limited Edition. :)
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

It may be a reward car, i got my Exige that way, and its not present in the Car Dealership or however its called in the english version, i use polish so i just try to translate it somehow. :)

The game is fun, but the 'everyone drives same car' races are annoying as hell, again. Dodge Viper SRT10 race, Lexus LFA race as well.

Did anyone try drifting with full damage on? You can blow up your rear tires.
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

I played shift for a few hours a few days ago... after that, nein. Very difficult... I meant, impossible with keyboard, runs like craplet with 1/2 of the settings to minimum and the rest to medium (bellow that it's not worth looking at), the crashes lag like hell (something tells me they did this on purpose, not a performance problem) and Gittin is getting on my nerves!!! He sounds like a douchebag! Even worse than, what was his name, the guy from TNFS on 3DO.. anyway. Vinyl system is a little better but still poorly organized, and you can't custom color decals... A.I. is much better but less aggressive and, well, less funny. That sucks.

In my opinion Shift 2 is an awful game from every point of view, but maybe it's a good simulator, I don't play simulators so I can't pronounce myself from that point of view... I just hope future Shift games will be separated from NFS.

Return to “SHIFT 2 Unleashed”