Drift

2011 SHIFT 2 Unleashed
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Drift

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Well, so far i managed to get through the tutorial and Drift Festival(or something like that), the first 4 event Drift competition, and i noticed that in nearly every track my rear tires blow. Right now i was doing the second 'picture' :P with only one event choice, and my tires blew on 971 points when i needed 2000+ for first place.

Question: What am i doing wrong?

Im using Drift Alliance 240SX btw.
honke
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Drift

Post by honke »

lol i dont play drift.. so i dont now...
cant ceep the car on the road with elite mode and g27.
everytime i hit the gas the car breaks out. even with a litle gas.. lol
T0MMY
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by T0MMY »

it is hard to drift, to avoid tire blow try not to make too much tire smoke.

anybody use other cars to drift? i realized that you need serious tuning to get a car drifting, my silvia cant drift at all; it slides like a brick.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

1. turn damage down to visual only...
2. Shelby Terlingua NFS Mustang... that car is SOOOOOO easy to control through the turns it's insane... although I haven't gotten many other cars to play around with yet but this was the car so far that I found was the easiest to drift with
antoskis1990
Stock
Stock

Post by antoskis1990 »

like zedex sayd damage visual only, im tried to mustang terlingua its kinda easy drift with it , but im using nissan 200sx its one off greatest drift cars for me :)
LITE992
Ricer
Ricer

Post by LITE992 »

I currently drift with a Works Corvette Z06, and I must say drifting is a challenge in this game compared to previous NFSes (well, it's a simulator). For tuning, all I did was set all gear ratios to low and set my brake bias (or whatever) to rear. I initiate drifts with the brakes, so tuning them to induce oversteer is important.

To drift, I recommend drifting on one of those wide drift circuits. Ignore the best line for now; drift along that when you have more experience. The best line is good for one thing, though. It will let you know if you're approaching the turn too fast. This is invaluable for drifting.

Now on to execution of a drift, which I'm sure you want to hear. Approach the turn at optimal speed, as indicated by the best line. Try to do your drifts on the outside of the corner; this gives you more space to work with. At the start of the turn, tap the brakes, steer into the turn, and increase throttle. At this point, stop turning into the turn, or your car will angle too much and you'll lose speed dramatically. Steering into the turn will increase your angle, while countersteering will decrease it. Steering is sensitive, and it's easy to steer too much. The game will already countersteer for you, and sometimes this is sufficient enough to get through the turn without steering yourself, but you can easily steer if you need to.

For throttle, you need to apply the right amount. Too much and you will spin out, too little and you straighten up. I suggest 50% to 80% throttle. PC players on a keyboard are at a disadvantage because they need to tap the acceleration key quickly, while players using an Xbox/PS3/steering wheel controller can easily apply certain amounts of throttle.

To end the drift, release the throttle. You may be tempted to countersteer out of the turn, but this will usually result in you turning sharply to the wall. Simply release throttle and give a slight amount of countersteer to straighten up. If the next immediate turn is in the opposite direction, you can apply much more countersteer to initiate the next drift, and usually you won't need to use the brakes.

Remember that drift tracks are oiled to reduce traction, making it easier to slide on. You won't need to do top speed here, which is why tuning for acceleration over top speed is useful. This will make your car more controllable. At low speeds, don't gun the throttle, or you'll spin out. Gradually increase it to move along smoothly.

Well that's how I drift, hope this little guide helped. There's only so much that can be taught. For the most part, you have to learn from experience, get out there and start drifting!

Peace.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

ok I finally managed to beat all the drift events... EXCEPT the FINAL SLIDE stage 4...
that thing is nearly impossible to pull off >.> I'm probably drifting on the wrong line though, but I can't seem to find how I can get those massive points in (3 laps for 1570 to win, and I barely do 300 per lap >.>) *so I ended up using a trainer to get 1000 extra points... can't be bothered with it anymore*

the 240SX they give you I think is even easier to drift with than the Terlingua, although quite slow...

so now... not drifting ever again!
ugh!
T0MMY
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by T0MMY »

i use a 370z to drift now, is a good drift car but you need to spend some time tuning it. set every setting to be oversteer instead of understeer. I manage to do some long drift now using my keyboard (many people said it is impossible to drift with keyboard some how). a tip for keyboard users, when drifting it is best to to press your buttons. just keep tapping your throttle and your steering key to get a optimum speed to get your car going sideways, for me i think it is quite easy to drift at around 90-100km/h.

*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
LITE992
Ricer
Ricer

Post by LITE992 »

zedex wrote:ok I finally managed to beat all the drift events... EXCEPT the FINAL SLIDE stage 4...
that thing is nearly impossible to pull off >.> I'm probably drifting on the wrong line though, but I can't seem to find how I can get those massive points in (3 laps for 1570 to win, and I barely do 300 per lap >.>) *so I ended up using a trainer to get 1000 extra points... can't be bothered with it anymore*

the 240SX they give you I think is even easier to drift with than the Terlingua, although quite slow...

so now... not drifting ever again!
ugh!
Try the Supra. I switched to it a week ago over my Corvette, and I'm doing so much better. I actually won at the Tokyo Dockyard and won the final slide easily. Tuners are the way to go. I suggest an RX7 or Supra (mine is Works).
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

LITE992 wrote:Try the Supra. I switched to it a week ago over my Corvette, and I'm doing so much better. I actually won at the Tokyo Dockyard and won the final slide easily. Tuners are the way to go. I suggest an RX7 or Supra (mine is Works).
I actually did have a works supra... but it didn't go too well...
didn't really spend much time tuning though... but I can't be bothered with drifts anymore... maybe when I beat all the other events first

mind posting some drift tune settings? =b
*we got a section on the website for that, don't have to post it here*
antoskis1990
Stock
Stock

Post by antoskis1990 »

im too playing with keyboard and i think i made kinda amazing drifts i like not overpowered cars like 200sx and 240sx ,one q why in garage on mazda rx8 team nfs writes drift mode? then on my all cars road ?its posible to change mode of car ?
LehmannDaHero
Stock
Stock

Post by LehmannDaHero »

??? how come i've never had a rear tire burst ever in my life? And drifting can take a few hours to learn but once you get the throttle control etc you'll get the hang of it. Oh and the Stock drift alliance Nissan 240X drift car is absolutely shiznit. Get a new car from the car lot for drifting. Try the Mazda FC3S or Toyota AE86. Great drift cars, easy to control and theyre less than $6000. Leave the tuning alone until you get the hang of drifting :)
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Dropping the tire pressure and stiffening the suspension can make the Hachi Roku (AE86) and the FC3S into drift monsters. Though the best one I had was an M3 E36 I accidentally took drifting (was fully race prepped with the V10 Engine conversion and Body 3) and ended up nailing 2000 points on the Glendale oval :D
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Been doing more drifting lately and my favourite car for fun is a C547 class RX-7 FC3S. So stable and smooth to drift, but due to my style I don't hit the top scores for single standing start laps (Inertia < E-Brakers). Others I've had success with are the AE86, the M3 E36, M3 E46, RX-8, RX-7 FD3S, Supra and Shelby GT500 (the new one).

Even managed to use the Mad Mike RX-8 Drifter, but it's nowhere near as controllable as the ones above. The other good drifter is the NFS AE86 from the Retro series. That drifts nicely but needs some tuning to get the full potential out of it.
HYPERFORMANCE
Ricer
Ricer

Post by HYPERFORMANCE »

ive been using the dodge challenger with works conversion, over 1000bhp, drifts really easily, with good throttle control you can get a hell of alot of points, its easy to drift, just turn and hit the gas and the back steps out, even at high speed, plus being a muscle car u look awesome lol
PaulWilliam80
Stock
Stock

Post by PaulWilliam80 »

@T0MMY, nice videos and drifting, i'm playing shift 2 but i find it very difficult to do a drift, even i didn't clear the first event of drift.
Afterdawn
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Afterdawn »

I often get tire blow after 3-4 mins of driving. Normal, turn dmg to visual only.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Do you upgrade your tires from stock? If you do that's when you'll suffer tire blow outs.
Afterdawn
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Afterdawn »

Kaerar wrote:Do you upgrade your tires from stock? If you do that's when you'll suffer tire blow outs.
Thanks for the tip, didn't know that. =D>

Edit: The tire blow outs have stopped and after a few laps at the London drift track I've managed to get a higher score.
The semi tire made it easier to keep straight line with high speed but with the stock tire I can get a better angle, and eventually after a few more laps a better line?... :wink:

Thanks Kaerar!

Return to “SHIFT 2 Unleashed”