Changing Autolog password?

2011 SHIFT 2 Unleashed
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Changing Autolog password?

Post by Hydro_PT »

Well, yesterday I had to change most of my passwords due to the recent attacks to Codemasters, Nintendo and Epic Games. I just got afraid they could hack something else, so I changed the passwords for my Windows LIVE ID, STEAM, Codemasters and also EA Games.

When I started SHIFT 2, the game tried to connect to the Autolog servers, as usual, but it would always give me the same error: Password Invalid. And since there isn't any option in the menus to insert the new login, I was stuck with that stupid error and I couldn't connect to Autolog!! :(

After some searching I found that if you change your EA password, some games might stop working, SHIFT 2 being one of them. There is no way to change your login in SHIFT 2, at least without losing all your progress. If you delete your savegame, then you will be able to create a new login.

The solution is to go back again to the old password you had. I did that and SHIFT 2 worked all right. However, this is a massive fail IMO, and the next patch better fix that. I really want to change my password at EA before they get hacked too (you never know, they might be the next ones in the list).

So this serves as a warning if you want to change your password and own SHIFT 2: don't do it. [-X
rcgldr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: Changing Autolog password?

Post by rcgldr »

For Shift 2 Unleashed and any other EA game that has this problem, you need to do the following steps:

Using a browser, sign in to profile.ea.com or ea.com/profile, and change your password to the one used in Shift 2.

Next run Shift 2, and after it logs in, you'll have the option to change your password.

If you have another game with this issue, repeate these two steps.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

I tried that, but when I got back into the game, bum, password invalid. :(
rcgldr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by rcgldr »

Hydro_PT wrote:I tried that, but when I got back into the game, bum, password invalid.
You need to go to the profile web page, change the password to the one you currently have for Shift 2. Then Shift 2 will autolog on. Once it does that, you can go to options / online / ... or some similar menu sequence and change the password from within the game (Shift 2) to the password you want.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

As I said, I did that. :) But once I restarted the game, it said "password invalid" again. I don't really understand it, but ok.
rcgldr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by rcgldr »

Hydro_PT wrote:As I said, I did that. :) But once I restarted the game, it said "password invalid" again. I don't really understand it, but ok.
The game should do an autosave after you've changed your password, but apparently it's not doing this. To force an autosave, go to options, gameplay, ... , and change clutch setting then change it back, then press right shift to force a save.

So the entire sequence is:

change to old password at ea profile web site

start up shift 2, wait for autologon, then change password.

then while still in shift 2 go to options, gameplay, ... and change clutch setting and then back, then press right shift to force a gamesave.
xfullboost
Stock
Stock

Post by xfullboost »

sorry for digging this old thread up, but there is no other imformation out there on this subject and I'd rather not create a new thread for this issue.

since is been going on FOREVER AND NOBODY HAS DONE ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

I too am having the same problem as the OP - cant change my autolog password within shift2.

I played shift2 at launch for a couple months and stopped since. I recently reinstalled, I kept my save game, and loaded it to play.

Right away I get the error "invalid password" for autolog. So I do some reasearch, change my password back to what it was when I created this save game for shift 2.

This allowed me to log into autolog within shift2. Yay! But when I go to the change password option in shift 2, it tells me 'invalid password'.

I cannot keep that old password for my ea account, because it was hacked several months ago. yes someone got into my ea account. i called customer service and no harm was done.

this issue is SUCH shiznit. autolog has screwed me over and EA doesn't give a crap.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

As you can see here, EA decided that you cannot have the right to change your password within the game, and if you do it outside the game, you will have to start a new profile if you want to use Autolog or play online.

I have no words for it, really. :|
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

That's just plain STUPID. Worst idea ever, seriously lol
adamandevil
Stock
Stock

Post by adamandevil »

I had this same problem for a couple weeks. Finally had some time to work on it, and stumbled across this thread. FWIW this is what I did to fix the issue.

I launched NFS Shift 2, then alt-tabbed to Internet Explorer. I logged into the EA profile website mentioned above (I got a "Your post looks too spammy" message when posting this, so I can't include the URL here, sorry), changed my password, alt-tabbed back into the game, signed in to autolog (select Online->Sign In To Autolog from the root menu - I don't think it asked me for my credentials), accepted EULA/T&C, received a message about my bonus cars as part of owning the Limited Edition version of the game, and my profile/career still looks intact at this point.

I agree that the online/bonus car/VIP issues with this game have been frustrating to say the least. For example I own all the NFS games that earn VIP rewards (aside from Undercover) but my games weren't recognizing that the other games were installed - thus no VIP rewards. The issue was resolved after a phone call to their tech support.

Hope this helps.

- Adam
killedthedog
Stock
Stock

Post by killedthedog »

I am having some issues with this as well.. so since i couldn't log in i changed it on ea to match NFSshift2's, but then i was prompt by origin to change my password because it was to weak now ( because they are linked ) i did.. the game was still running at this point. so i went into the options to change my password to match origins it wouldn't let me it says password invalid. i don't want to have to change my password every time i want to play BF3 or NFS.. and i am not deleting my saved data since i am more then 60% of the way through it now.. what do i do????? THE RAGE!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “SHIFT 2 Unleashed”