Official SHIFT2 Unleashed Release Date

Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Official SHIFT2 Unleashed Release Date

Post by Bojan »

The official release date for SHIFT2 Unleashed is March 24th & 25th in Europe and March 29th for North America. Also check out the new trailer below!

http://www.youtube.com/v/GLj_uhFFQ-M&re ... &version=3[/embed]
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Official SHIFT2 Unleashed Release Date

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Hmm....its coming out earlier in Europe? Im surprised.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

The car's handling seems to be exactly the same from SHIFT 1. Weren't they working on a new physics, the ones meant to be released together with SHIFT 1? I wonder how they want to approach the sim racing community with an arcade title. Realistic cars, championships and tracks is not enough for a simulator. First it's the driving, the physics, and then the rest. If the base of the game is not simulation, the rest of the game is not a simulator either. :P

I don't really mind, as I enjoyed SHIFT 1 handling's. Though it was unrealistic, especially at high speeds, it was quite fun and addicting. I know what to play if I want a simulator. :)

EDIT: Here's a gameplay video that I found on VirtualR. It looks really similar to SHIFT 2... too similar. Maybe all that SMS is doing is adding a bunch of new cars and tracks. If that's the case, don't expect my money soon EA. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLyCdNbI8Xg
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

i hope they get rid of the interface shaking together with the car(Ford GT was jumping around so much when switching gears that i was wondering when was the flight towards the sun going to happen.)

And stupid AI that was overly agressive....
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

Instagram @SupraHKS
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Post by [T][U][N][3][R] »

This is real boring racing.
T0MMY
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by T0MMY »

all the gameplay video looks great, seems like SMS really manage to complete their task for making the most authentic racing but where is the full carlist? i'm expecting them to release the full carlist soon though.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
oumysoft
Ricer
Ricer

Post by oumysoft »

I'm curious as to where I could find the limited edition version (in the UK). Considering were months away I'm surprised they're not listed in the major retail shops for pre order (I've looked at play.com, game.com and amazon.co.uk). The standard version are listed but I don't know if I get upgraded to the limited edition one if I pre order that.

The night racing looks very nice, lets hope you get the feeling of terror driving at top speed at night (I enjoyed the driving feeling of the original one).
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

T0MMY wrote:all the gameplay video looks great, seems like SMS really manage to complete their task for making the most authentic racing but where is the full carlist? i'm expecting them to release the full carlist soon though.
Either you are being ironic or you never played a simulator. The most authentic racing game? I would let that description go to GTR 2 / rFactor or Race 07, but certainly not for SHIFT if they keep the same driving and physics. :lol:

@Zotic+: That's the same video Bojan posted. :D
T0MMY
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by T0MMY »

i dont mean the the car control, what i said is they kinda manage to make a good cockpit view that really feels great, the camera shake when you crash or you brake feels great. It really make you feel like driving a real race car at high speed, GTR2 is great for their realistic driving physic which i dont think SMS will include in Shift 2. I never really enjoy GTR or other sim games, they normally required a steering wheel or a gamepad to play it which i have none of it.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

If you've seen a simulator you've seen them all, and I have yet to see one that stands to it's name, SIMULATOR. I don't know what you mean by authentic, yes it looks pretty similar to what I've seen on TV (grand prix and stuff, EuroSport) but I doubt any car in any simulator will ever come close to driving a real car... even at 50 km/h. Unless it's an add-on for Matrix.

Underground 3 pl0x.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

[T][U][N][3][R] wrote:If you've seen a simulator you've seen them all, and I have yet to see one that stands to it's name, SIMULATOR. I don't know what you mean by authentic, yes it looks pretty similar to what I've seen on TV (grand prix and stuff, EuroSport) but I doubt any car in any simulator will ever come close to driving a real car... even at 50 km/h. Unless it's an add-on for Matrix.

Underground 3 pl0x.
You really don't have a clue about racing simulators. :mrgreen: The best car simulators out there do come very close to the feel of a real racing car. If you have the means, of course. A good steering wheel, preferably with three pedals and H/sequential shift patterns (G27) along with a non-digital handbrake and a motion chair for those with more money.

@T0MMY: Well the cockpit view is indeed very nice, but SHIFT 1 lacks pretty much everything else when it comes to simulation, and SHIFT 2 seems to follow the same patch. But other racing simulators, like Race 07, features a very nice G-Force and cockpit shacking effect, along with a "look-to-apex" thing, that mimics the driver's eyes turning to the apex of the corner. It is not too far from SHIFT's cockpit effects, actually.
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Hydro_PT wrote:
[T][u][N][3][R] wrote:If you've seen a simulator you've seen them all, and I have yet to see one that stands to it's name, SIMULATOR. I don't know what you mean by authentic, yes it looks pretty similar to what I've seen on TV (grand prix and stuff, EuroSport) but I doubt any car in any simulator will ever come close to driving a real car... even at 50 km/h. Unless it's an add-on for Matrix.

Underground 3 pl0x.
You really don't have a clue about racing simulators. :mrgreen: The best car simulators out there do come very close to the feel of a real racing car. If you have the means, of course. A good steering wheel, preferably with three pedals and H/sequential shift patterns (G27) along with a non-digital handbrake and a motion chair for those with more money.
I'm having a hard time believing that, for 3 reasons.

1st People argue so much about which is better, Gran Turismo, Forza, GRID, so it's impossible to know which is [/u]best.

2nd, 60% of the people people who play these ''games'' don't even have a driver's license or have never driven a car (or both) and the other 40% have never driven a car faster than a hmm... Dodge Challenger? People who own fast cars don't waste time with racing games.

3rd, and I'm particularly aiming at this sentence:
Hydro_PT wrote: do come very close to the feel of a real racing car
So sitting in your chair, in front of a PC desk or on the couch in front of your Xbox / PS3 / Wii isn't much different than driving an overpriced, 1000 HP, carbon fiber coffin' (Bugatti Veyron) on the Nurburgring? Unless there's an earthquake, I don't think so :P
shinjeon9
Ricer
Ricer

Post by shinjeon9 »

[T][u][N][3][R] wrote:
Hydro_PT wrote:
[T][u][N][3][R] wrote:If you've seen a simulator you've seen them all, and I have yet to see one that stands to it's name, SIMULATOR. I don't know what you mean by authentic, yes it looks pretty similar to what I've seen on TV (grand prix and stuff, EuroSport) but I doubt any car in any simulator will ever come close to driving a real car... even at 50 km/h. Unless it's an add-on for Matrix.

Underground 3 pl0x.
I'm having a hard time believing that, for 3 reasons.

1st People argue so much about which is better, Gran Turismo, Forza, GRID, so it's impossible to know which is [/u]best.

2nd, 60% of the people people who play these ''games'' don't even have a driver's license or have never driven a car (or both) and the other 40% have never driven a car faster than a hmm... Dodge Challenger? People who own fast cars don't waste time with racing games.

So sitting in your chair, in front of a PC desk or on the couch in front of your Xbox / PS3 / Wii isn't much different than driving an overpriced, 1000 HP, carbon fiber coffin' (Bugatti Veyron) on the Nurburgring? Unless there's an earthquake, I don't think so :P
I think there is different perception between you and Hydro.

Simulator will never match the feel of driving true car, but simulation does developed to be at least gives you some feel of driving.

If I was correct, then your perception of simulator is virtual reality, and Hydro's perception is a game.

[T][N][3][R] : I wonder if Underground 3 will made...but I think Black Box will made it. Underground fans have cries for a long time. I hope they put this game under good treatment.
The only risk is if there is no risk at all.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

[T][U][N][3][R] wrote:Underground 3 pl0x.
k sure

I'll get Black Box to screw it over, so you'll be whining afterward.
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Nitrodemon McLaren wrote:
[T][U][N][3][R] wrote:Underground 3 pl0x.
k sure

I'll get Black Box to screw it over, so you'll be whining afterward.
Thx.

@shinjeon9

Don't see what more I can add to that...
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

[T][u][N][3][R] wrote: I'm having a hard time believing that, for 3 reasons.

Let's get this straight. :D

1st - Gran Turismo, Forza and GRID are not simulators (especially GRID). What I mean is, they are called simulators, but the only true racing simulators are on the PC, with games like Grand Prix, GTR, rFactor, iRacing, LFS. GT and Forza are "simulators" or console simulators. It is very different, but that's a whole new discussion.

2nd - Actually most of the people who play these games/simulators do have a driver's license. Kids usually don't lose time with simulators because they think it is very hard. Of course that many haven't driven a race car. But, and I bet you will find this hard to believe, one of the most famous driver, when it comes to online racing championships using simulators, had the chance to try a Formula 3000 car in a racetrack and he actually drove very well, using only the knowledge of the game. He set great times because he knew exactly what was coming. Even the guys in the pit stop were amazed because he pushed the car really hard right on the first lap. Why? He had played with that car at home, in his simulator, and he knew how to drive it. That should give you an idea of how close the simulators come to the real cars.

3rd - Of course that it is not the same thing, sitting in a real race car and sitting in front of your computer. You don't have the same perception of the world, you don't feel the G-force as good as in the real car (even using a motion chair) and you don't sense the danger of driving such a machine. But that's virtual reality, not a racing simulator. You're mixing different things. I can assure that the simulators I mentioned do recreate very well the driving of a racing car, how it will handle in different situations. You then have to like these type of games to feel things even more realistically. For example, the "fear" of crashing during a race, the anxiety to shave those 0.1 seconds of your lap... that kind of stuff. :)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Hydro_PT wrote:Let's get this straight. :D

1st - Gran Turismo, Forza and GRID are not simulators (especially GRID). What I mean is, they are called simulators, but the only true racing simulators are on the PC, with games like Grand Prix, GTR, rFactor, iRacing, LFS. GT and Forza are "simulators" or console simulators. It is very different, but that's a whole new discussion.
BS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulate
The only difference is how close to reality the game comes. While SHIFT, Forza, GT5 and rFactor might have different perceptions of reality, they all try to imitate it. And while some games might imitate certain aspects better than others (for example the amount of detail in secondary factors like tire wear, fuel consumption,...), you might still get a better experience in what you call "console simulators". I've heard a story of a gamer having a world record on the Nordschleife in a "console simulator" getting a really good run in real life. Too bad he crashed later on due to a small difference on track :)
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

You're right Hydro. I don't believe that :P

And by the way saying that Forza and Gran Turismo aren't simulators is just fanboy-ism (fanboy-ism... whatever). NOT saying that's a bad thing, I'm a PC fanboy too.

Anyway, there ain't any racing game that comes even close to real racing when it comes to driving (tho some might seem realistic from the spectator's view). Again, NOT a bad thing, games should be fun not realistic.

Problem is that the current so called ''simulators'' aren't any fun at all... I personally found 'em boring.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Bojan wrote: BS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulate
The only difference is how close to reality the game comes. While SHIFT, Forza, GT5 and rFactor might have different perceptions of reality, they all try to imitate it. And while some games might imitate certain aspects better than others (for example the amount of detail in secondary factors like tire wear, fuel consumption,...), you might still get a better experience in what you call "console simulators". I've heard a story of a gamer having a world record on the Nordschleife in a "console simulator" getting a really good run in real life. Too bad he crashed later on due to a small difference on track :)

It's hard to explain what I mean, when saying that Forza and GT are not simulators. When I think about a simulator, I think about a game which recreates as accurately as possible everything related do driving. Both Forza and GT (I don't even mention SHIFT because that game isn't a simulator, definitely) simulate some things, but lack others. I don't know exactly how to explain this, but I played them all and I can say "ok, these games are good, they have a bunch of great stuff, but they are not simulators like GTR / Race 07 / rFactor". I even had people who are fans of GT saying "GT could never be as accurate as a PC simulator because it wouldn't appeal to the masses". This is also a very widespread thought in sim racing communities. The best and authentic, so to speak, racing simulators are found on the PC. This is not being a PC fanboy, it is just the truth. I'm not a PC fanboy, even though I don't own any console. :)

I believe in your story Bojan, I'm not saying that GT/Forza are bad games, no way. I'm just saying they are not simulators because well, they don't simulate things as good as the PC simulators. Call them console simulators would be better, and it's something I find a lot online - PC simulators and console simulators.

@[T][N][3][R]: I wish I could find the article for you to read. Too bad you don't believe, but it is true. Maybe because you don't enjoy simulators you look at them in disdain. You say you find them boring, I completely understand and respect that. As I said, you have to like a simulator to be able to enjoy it. They are a lot of fun, believe me. Yesterday I spent 40 minutes playing online with some friends, it was awesome. And we were playing a simulator. But that's because we like that, I absolutely love to spent hours going around a track with a car, carefully tuning its setup to improve my lap time. Since I cannot step in a real race car, that's the best I can have.
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Don't know, I just don't find the point in driving on the same empty tracks over and over again... only game of that kind that worked for me was Project Torque (Currently Heat Online in the US and Level-R in EU) but even that got boring after a wile...

Or maybe it's because I got banned for abusing donuts (wtf). Anyway I really hope Blak Bawx makes a good arcade racer, yet, since Criterion failed with what could have been the best racing game ever I have doubts about that...

Anyway I at least hope that Shift will have good customization. And I also hope it won't give up it's visual style. Shift was the only sim with good car graphics, nice metallic look, not that plastic cr4p like in Forza or Gran Turismo... or them matte looking cars in GRID.

Return to “News”