Post by Bojan »

Here are the official PC minimum system requirements for SHIFT2 Unleashed:
Required – Internet Connection
OS – Windows XP (SP3) / Vista (SP2)/ Windows 7
Processor – Intel Core™2 Duo 2.0 GHz / AMD X2 64 2.4GHz
Memory – 2.0 GB
Hard Drive – 7 GB
DVD Drive – 8 SPEED
Video Card – DirectX 9.0c Compatible 3D-accelerated 512 MB video card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher
Sound Card – DirectX 9.0c compatible
DirectX – Version 9.0c
Online Multiplayer – 512 Kbps or faster; 2-12 Players
Input – Keyboard, Mouse, Supported Game Controllers
Optional – USB Steering Wheel / Dual Analogue Gamepad

*Supported chipsets: ATI HD3 Series or greater; NVIDIA GeForce 8 Series or higher or greater

Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required.

Also the official list of supported steering wheels:
PC
Logitech G27 Racing Wheel – full support for all buttons and rev lights
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
Logitech Driving Force GT
Logitech Formula Force EX
Logitech Driving Force
Logitech Driving Force EX
Logitech Driving Force RX
Logitech Driving Force Pro
Logitech MOMO Force
Logitech MOMO Racing
Thrustmaster RGT FFB Pro Clutch
Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience
Thrustmaster Ferrari 430
Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S

PlayStation3
Nascar Racing Wheel
Logitech Driving Force
Logitech Driving Force EX
Logitech Driving Force Pro
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
Logitech G27 Racing Wheel – full support for all buttons and rev lights
Logitech Driving Force GT – full support for all buttons and dial
Thurstmaster F430 FFB
Thurstmaster RGT FFB Clutch

Xbox 360
Microsoft Force Feedback Wheel
Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Official SHIFT 2 PC System requirements

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Hmm there's a chance i will see Shift 2 in full details, after all im only going to play it on 1280x1024.

Totally makes up for that bad Porsche line up. :D
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

There should be no problems here running SHIFT 2 at its best. My wheel is supported. So far, so good. :)
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

Nothing extreme, very nice.
Expecting to max it like Shift1 :)
PanZero
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by PanZero »

Radeon HD3 series or greater? So my Radeon HD2900 XT isn't supported or it wasn't just optimized for it? I was planning on getting another one to Crossfire them...
BaSt_SVK
Ricer
Ricer

Post by BaSt_SVK »

Nice !
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Post by [T][U][N][3][R] »

And I suppose these are the minimum system requirements... aka the ones needed just to run the game, regardless of how bad it runs / or looks amrite?
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

[T][U][N][3][R] wrote:And I suppose these are the minimum system requirements... aka the ones needed just to run the game, regardless of how bad it runs / or looks amrite?
Quote Bojan: "Here are the official PC minimum system requirements for SHIFT2 Unleashed:"

So yes, these are the minimum system requirements. Which means that SHIFT 2 will at least run on this hardware. How bad it will run nobody knows. :)
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Hydro_PT wrote:
[T][U][N][3][R] wrote:And I suppose these are the minimum system requirements... aka the ones needed just to run the game, regardless of how bad it runs / or looks amrite?
Quote Bojan: "Here are the official PC minimum system requirements for SHIFT2 Unleashed:"

So yes, these are the minimum system requirements. Which means that SHIFT 2 will at least run on this hardware. How bad it will run nobody knows. :)
Well the 1st one ran pretty bad so...
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

[T][U][N][3][R] wrote:Well the 1st one ran pretty bad so...
Then it surely is time for an upgrade :P
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

YaelDjiel wrote:
[T][u][N][3][R] wrote:Well the 1st one ran pretty bad so...
Then it surely is time for an upgrade :P
Oh really? Then explain how NFS Hot Pursuit, Mafia II and Flatout UC all run at 50 - 70 FPS. Well lemme tell ya it's called good optimization .
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Different games, different game engines. FlatOut UC is from 2008 and it uses an older game engine than SHIFT, while Hot Pursuit's engine was already used in Burnout Paradise before. As for MAFIA, the games are totally different, don't compare them. It's like comparing Crysis to GTA IV to Flight Simulator. All three are very demanding, yet you cannot actually compare them.

I'm not saying that SHIFT 1 was well optimized or not, I'm just saying you can't compare how games run like that. What computer do you have? Maybe it is indeed time for an upgrade.
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

Hydro_PT wrote:Different games, different game engines. FlatOut UC is from 2008 and it uses an older game engine than SHIFT, while Hot Pursuit's engine was already used in Burnout Paradise before. As for MAFIA, the games are totally different, don't compare them. It's like comparing Crysis to GTA IV to Flight Simulator. All three are very demanding, yet you cannot actually compare them.

I'm not saying that SHIFT 1 was well optimized or not, I'm just saying you can't compare how games run like that. What computer do you have? Maybe it is indeed time for an upgrade.
I totally can. (by the way you might wanna check that again, Hot Pursuit doesn't use the same engine as Burnout Paradise).

1st, the genres don't matter, they are all games. In fact, racing games should be better optimized than sandbox games (and they usually are, except Shift and Split Slash Second) since they aren't so complex and they also require higher frame rate to be enjoyable.

2nd, you don't have to look in a game's files to know it's well or poorly optimized. If it looks better and runs better then it's clearly well optimized. Do Hot Pursuit, Flatout and Mafia II look better than Shift? Totally. Do they run better than Shift? Hell yeah they do, in fact Flatout and Hot Pursuit run better maxed than Shift runs with the graphics to minimum.

3rd, if the engine is crappy why use it? The developers are just as guilty if they pick a bad engine.

Fun fact: Burnout Paradise uses the same engine as the GTA games from GTA III to Vice City Stories, despite the fact that they look and feel totally different.

By the way Crysis and GTA IV are both poorly optimized. Crysis has and excuse since it's made only out of graphics (sigh) but GTA IV is just Rockstar giving the finger to PC gamers.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Yes you're right, my mistake. Hot Pursuit uses the Chameleon engine, which I think is Criterion's own engine, evolved from the RenderWare engine they used in Burnout Paradise. Not sure though.

1st: Yes the genres do matter, they are all games but they all have different needs and they all behave differently. You can't compare games like Mafia and SHIFT. Who says racing games aren't as complex as a FPS or an action game? What about the detail that goes into the cars, the tracks, the physics engine, the AI and everything else? That's doesn't count on your book, I suppose.

2nd: Of course you don't have to look in a game's file to know if it is well optimized or not. But you can't also just say "this game is bad optimized because I can't run it properly". You would have to test the game in a range of different computers with different hardware to at least have an opinion. Also, since when Hot Pursuit and Flatout look better than SHIFT 2? Just look at the car's, SHIFT 2 has much more polygons for each car than UC or HP. The environment is also much more detailed, not only the textures but all the effects (lighting effects and shadows in SHIFT 2 look very good). As for MAFIA II, it's like I said, you can't compare. Don't compare the detail that goes in a car from MAFIA and a car from SHIFT 2. Totally different games, different needs for each game.

3rd: I don't think SMS's engine is crappy. Again I ask you, what computer do you have? Maybe it is indeed time for an upgrade, instead of just saying "the game is not well optimized".

Crysis and GTA IV are very demanding games. Yes they aren't as well optimized as they should, but seeing as it is the first time those game engines were used, I guess the developers did a fairly good job. Crysis Warhead for example was better, and so were the Episodes From Liberty City. ;)
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

[T][U][N][3][R] wrote: Oh really? Then explain how NFS Hot Pursuit, Mafia II and Flatout UC all run at 50 - 70 FPS. Well lemme tell ya it's called good optimization .
Sorry.. but NFS Shift is quite nicely optimized..
My PC is definitely not top of the line, in fact it wasn't when I bought the parts quite some time ago.
Yet I'm forcing higher AA and using high poly models from mods and it's still running 60 fps...

As for HP, no AA there.. no huge perfomance hit. Flatout.. seriously? It's old..
Mafia II.. well yea, that was a good optimized game.
[T][U][N][3][R]
Drift King
Drift King

My graphics card is the problem. It's not great, in fact it's probably the worse Nvidia ever made, but I have new and old games that run perfectly on it. Games that, like I said, look better and are much more complex than Shift. Hell even GTA IV runs better than Shift...

Anyway, Shift's cars might have more polygons but it doesn't matter if the textures aren't good, cause then they'll still look ugly and slow the game down, that's poor optimization. Flatout and Hot Pursuit look great without many models with a high number of polygons or a ton of special effects. As for Mafia II not only it has a lot of detail put into the cars but it has a lot of detail put into everything... Shift just focuses on the cars, maybe a little on the tracks but I don't think it's fair to say that Empire Bay is just as detailed as the [track name here] from Shift.

By the way I've tried Shift on several PCs, and it ran like crap on each and every one of them... well except one but it had a GeForce 480 so I pretty much saw it coming.
shifty117
Stock
Stock

Post by shifty117 »

I'm not good with computer just a car guy. Will my AMD athlon x2 dual - core processor 5400, NVIDIA GeForce 6150se work for shift?

Return to “News”