The Run questions for the team

2011 Need for Speed The Run
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

The Run questions for the team

Post by Bojan »

I'll be attending a preview event of the run at EA's studios late next week. Does anybody have any specific questions about the game you want me to ask the devs?
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: The Run questions for the team

Post by Hydro_PT »

I have some. :)

1. How many cars will be featured in the game? So far 41 cars were announced, and some of them are pretty unique.

2. Can they compare the handling in The Run to any other NFS game, like Hot Pursuit or World? Just to have an idea of what to expect...

3. How long will the career last (an estimation)?

4. Is there any tuning? I've seen some modified cars in screenshots, but no word about modifications. Be either bodykits, rims, painting, vinyls, etc.
SonicTH228
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SonicTH228 »

#2 they already sorta addressed as being some kind of happy medium between what you got in Hot Pursuit and Shift.

The cars require more finesse to slide than you could do in Hot Pursuit (which was very clearly descended from Burnout's handling) but it's definitely more on the arcade side than Shift is.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Well, since nobody seems to have questions, I will write some more. I hope the devs can answer them all. :mrgreen:

5. Can the player control the character when he leaves the car? I know The Run is not a GTA-type game, but is there some type of gameplay similar to the one found in Mirror's Edge (running inside buildings and jumping from one rooftop to another)? Or you can only use QTE during cut-scenes, thus not having full control over the character?

6. At this time, is there any idea of what kind of computer one needs to play The Run? It is the first time the Frostbite Engine 2.0 is going to be used in a racing game, as far as I know.

7. What DX will be used? DX 9 to DX 11, only DX 11, only DX9?
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

i got a whole day yesterday of actual gametime with The Run and I have to say I'm impressed. If there's one thing this game shinesmin, it's the visual appearance and the environments. I thought Hot Pursuit's world looks amazing, but this is even better. And the variety of tracks is awesome, start in downtown San Fran, go through Yosemite, deserts of Nevada, Vegas strip, Colorado rockies, Nebraska straights, Chicago, Pennsilvania hills all the way to downtown NY..
Handling itself is more like Most Wanted's or World's than Hot Pursuit. Some of the powerful muscles do feel a bit weird, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Now about the questions, I'll answer what I can (some stuff is under embargo):

Out of car sequences are purely QTE and all scripted. There's a few second chances if you miss an event. There's not too many sequences and it all flows nicely with the gameplay.
There's lots of cars in the game, but the number is also higher due to lots of special versions of the same cars. Of course I can't talk specifics and I also can't give out a number.
There's basically no tuning, except for bodykits and paint.
Career is not really that long, I would say around 8h for an average player. There is a difficulty setting though and autolog for each race.

I'll know more about pc requirements after today.

That's it for now.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

8 hours..that's a bit of a let down. Good to hear it's graphics/environments stand out like you'd expect though, that's good to hear.

I don't know though...I definitely wouldn't pay full price for a game that by the sounds of it is quite short, but still being linear in design, it just doesn't sound like something I would get many hours out of.

Thanks for the info Bojan :)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Well, career is not the only thing in the game. Not to mention that autolog will be really cool here, as long as you have a few friends playing the game on the same system.
I'll be posting a preview next week and explain more how the game feels like.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Thanks a lot for the answers Bojan! :)

I wish there was no embargo hehe, so you could answer things more precisely. Still it was good. I am looking forward to play this game.
SLJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SLJ »

regarding the system requirement for the PC platform, do you know anything about it? Because i am kinda worried about my pc being unable to run the game.
SonicTH228
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SonicTH228 »

What's the length of story mode? Will you get a good amount of gameplay time out of it?

The demo is really exciting but I'd hate to really get into it then BOOM, it's over in like 7 hours.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

SonicTH228 wrote:What's the length of story mode? Will you get a good amount of gameplay time out of it?

The demo is really exciting but I'd hate to really get into it then BOOM, it's over in like 7 hours.
Well don't worry about that, it's 1 whole hour longer.

(if you read the post above you would have read that Bojan said career is about 8 hours long.
SonicTH228
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SonicTH228 »

Alright, alright...sorry... >_>
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Err correction career is about 3 hours long for anyone who can drive...

Return to “The Run”