My Review of "The Run"

2011 Need for Speed The Run

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby xturbo » 05 Dec 2011, 16:55

The problem is that people do not like too much realistic handling, that's why Forza series at least have the classical arcade physic AND the sim, for both universes, where as NFS just features or arcade or sim, there's no choice of both. That would just tear apart the fanbase for EA, not being something good for them in the monetary aspect.

But yeah, I agree we need a new tuner scene game.....Underground 3 lol
Image
User avatar
xturbo
Professional
Professional
 
Posts: 2293
Joined: 24 Aug 2005, 19:42
Location: Chile

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby yugo88 » 05 Dec 2011, 18:29

At the main menu, select the extras option, and choose the cheat codes selection.
Then enter: (aemintakes) to unlock the AEM Intake Challenge Series. You get 3 new cool challenges.
yugo88
Ricer
Ricer
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Nov 2011, 12:07

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby PaulWilliam80 » 15 Dec 2011, 11:53

Thanks for the information. The run is a nice game, and i like it as compare to shift series i didn't like it much but the run is great.
PaulWilliam80
Stock
Stock
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 22 Nov 2011, 13:16

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby Bojan » 16 Dec 2011, 10:17

I finally got the game, finished career, tried multiplayer and did several challenge series. Been playing lately with patch 1.3 which changed a few things (like reset for off track).
Seems like I'm one of the few who's really enjoying the game. Sure, the loading times (including resets) are really annoying and multiplayer has a few issues with lag (and of course other players being rammers). But still I like the overall feel of it just as much as Hot Pursuit - it's fast and stunningly beautiful. Been playing for 4 days now and with the amount of unlocks available there's still stuff for me to do - even though I finished The Run in two days. I might even try the hardcore mode.
Image
User avatar
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 5174
Joined: 11 Sep 2002, 21:35
Location: Slovenia

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby anel93 » 26 Dec 2011, 07:04

Finally someone who dont all the time complaing about The Run being bad...
I really cant understand why everyone is complaining about game being bad..
Like one have said here on this topic that he did grow up with NFS, so do i
The only thing i didnt like with NFS Undercover was the handling, but the game was fun
so the only i can say about The Run is that game RULES :D
anel93
Ricer
Ricer
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 23 Nov 2006, 01:20

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby Hydro_PT » 26 Dec 2011, 18:15

anel93 wrote:I really cant understand why everyone is complaining about game being bad..


It is because those people who complain that the game is bad have reasons to do so. If you look at The Run from a not-so-subjective point of view, you will indeed notice some really bad flaws in this game. Also, the fact that it wasn't well received by the critic in general, and most players, should give you a reason why most players complain about this game.

I, for instance, can't really understand how it is possible to enjoy this game so much. And I've also grown up with NFS, but that doesn't change the fact that this game fails in many things, especially when you compare it to other recent NFS games that were quite good and enjoyable. :)
User avatar
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: 15 Nov 2007, 02:22
Location: Braga, Portugal

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby anel93 » 27 Dec 2011, 02:04

Ok, but do you think Undercover was Enjoyable, but lets not go off-topic
The only thing i complain on The Run is these AI, i heard someone saying a slower/older car catch up with stronger/newer cars, the rest do i like
Gamereactor Nordic did give the game very low score also but i dont like complaing about NFS
and these guys who ask for Underground 3 should give EA some idea about what to do in Next NFS...
anel93
Ricer
Ricer
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 23 Nov 2006, 01:20

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby Bojan » 27 Dec 2011, 08:52

Lots of complainers here seem to play on the pc with a keyboard and claim there are handling issues and graphics problems. Framerate is fine on a console and playing with a controller is something completely different than with a keyboard :)
Image
User avatar
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 5174
Joined: 11 Sep 2002, 21:35
Location: Slovenia

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby anel93 » 27 Dec 2011, 15:31

Haha, Bojan, You are my man :)
I played on Xbox360 this game and i like to be agressive in race so i ram these black mob porsches, very fun to do, screw them when i am better then then :)
anel93
Ricer
Ricer
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 23 Nov 2006, 01:20

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby Hydro_PT » 27 Dec 2011, 15:39

anel93 wrote:Ok, but do you think Undercover was Enjoyable, but lets not go off-topic


To me, Undercover was one of the worst, if not the worst, NFS game I've ever played. The Run keeps fairly close though, unfortunately.

@Bojan: I don't know how much difference is there between a keyboard and a controller. You can have a slightly better feeling and control with the controller, true, but in the end they function pretty much the same way. I haven't tried The Run with a controller yet, but by my experience, it wouldn't be much better to the point I would actually enjoy it or all problems would go away.

As you probably have read, I play(ed) The Run mostly with my wheel to at least have a better feeling. Just like Hot Pursuit last year the wheel does make a difference, even though on The Run the handling is still too weird and not enjoyable, even with a wheel. Also, there are some really bad problems that BlackBox ignored when porting the game, problems related to the controls. I talked about that in previous posts. It is unacceptable, and it is one of the main reasons I stopped playing.

As for the graphics problems, locking the game at 30 fps is just plainly stupid. I have no other way to define that. You know why does it work good on consoles? Because most games on consoles run at 30 fps. On a PC, 30 fps is not enough for a racing game. Generally speaking, you need at least 40 or more to be competitive and enjoy the game. Frostbite 2 is too heavy for a racing game, and compared to Hot Pursuit, graphically speaking it is not that much better. I would prefer HP's engine, which was way lighter and provided nice graphics.

I know you enjoyed the game a lot (just read your review), but you must admit this game wasn't well received by most players (I underlined most), and there is a reason for that. It is possible to point out obvious flaws to this, and everyone can see that, unless that person is a really NFS fanboy. While some things are very much related to the personal opinion of each player, most of them are not. That's where I think The Run failed. The concept is great I think, but the execution failed. Too bad for us players, because since 2009 EA was doing good with the NFS series. Let's see what they do next...
User avatar
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: 15 Nov 2007, 02:22
Location: Braga, Portugal

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby Dr Houbenheimer » 28 Dec 2011, 06:28

I can relate to the the difference between different control methods, and though they do function similarly, I would say there are resounding differences.

I don't own a current gen console (except for a Wii which I literally have not touched in years and only own Wii Sports), and do all my gaming on my PC. I've always been a keyboard warrior, but for the last year or so have owned a G25 racing wheel.

Anyway getting to the point, I find, depending on the game, different methods are preferable. I always play UG2/MW/Carbon with the keyboard, and while the wheel performs well, I find I drive much better with the keyboard. However, playing Hot Pursuit, right from the outset I struggled on the keyboard, and I always use the wheel - works great for me considering HP's handling/physics, and the time differences are resounding.

Can't comment on the main topic at hand because I obviously have played The Run yet, but on a similar note to above, would you say The Run is more suited to a racing wheel? Just interested in case I pick up the game in the future.
User avatar
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: 25 Mar 2009, 06:38
Location: Australia

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby Hydro_PT » 28 Dec 2011, 18:21

In my opinion, only a few NFS games take benefit of a wheel: Porsche Unleashed, SHIFT 1, SHIFT 2 and Hot Pursuit 2010. All others I play fine with the keyboard, but these 4 are much more enjoyable with a wheel. Apart from HP, there is not much surprise, I think, since PU and both SHIFT are intended to be less arcade, so a wheel is definitely a plus.

"would you say The Run is more suited to a racing wheel?"

You can have a better experience playing with a wheel instead of playing with the keyboard. Still, even the wheel is not enough to make the handling enjoyable, apart from some rare moments like when racing on a highway. I remember having a lot of fun going at very high speeds through a deserted part after (or before lol) Las Vegas. It was very nice there, I must say. But everything else is just dull. :|

Of course this is my opinion, you would have to test it for yourself. But I would recommend a wheel. Just beware of the control problems you might have during QTE.
User avatar
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: 15 Nov 2007, 02:22
Location: Braga, Portugal

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby Dr Houbenheimer » 28 Dec 2011, 23:42

Yeah I heard about that, pretty bad development oversight by the sounds of it :?
User avatar
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: 25 Mar 2009, 06:38
Location: Australia

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby xturbo » 29 Dec 2011, 19:29

Hydro_PT wrote:
anel93 wrote:Ok, but do you think Undercover was Enjoyable, but lets not go off-topic


To me, Undercover was one of the worst, if not the worst, NFS game I've ever played. The Run keeps fairly close though, unfortunately.

@Bojan: I don't know how much difference is there between a keyboard and a controller. You can have a slightly better feeling and control with the controller, true, but in the end they function pretty much the same way. I haven't tried The Run with a controller yet, but by my experience, it wouldn't be much better to the point I would actually enjoy it or all problems would go away.

As you probably have read, I play(ed) The Run mostly with my wheel to at least have a better feeling. Just like Hot Pursuit last year the wheel does make a difference, even though on The Run the handling is still too weird and not enjoyable, even with a wheel. Also, there are some really bad problems that BlackBox ignored when porting the game, problems related to the controls. I talked about that in previous posts. It is unacceptable, and it is one of the main reasons I stopped playing.

As for the graphics problems, locking the game at 30 fps is just plainly stupid. I have no other way to define that. You know why does it work good on consoles? Because most games on consoles run at 30 fps. On a PC, 30 fps is not enough for a racing game. Generally speaking, you need at least 40 or more to be competitive and enjoy the game. Frostbite 2 is too heavy for a racing game, and compared to Hot Pursuit, graphically speaking it is not that much better. I would prefer HP's engine, which was way lighter and provided nice graphics.

I know you enjoyed the game a lot (just read your review), but you must admit this game wasn't well received by most players (I underlined most), and there is a reason for that. It is possible to point out obvious flaws to this, and everyone can see that, unless that person is a really NFS fanboy. While some things are very much related to the personal opinion of each player, most of them are not. That's where I think The Run failed. The concept is great I think, but the execution failed. Too bad for us players, because since 2009 EA was doing good with the NFS series. Let's see what they do next...


This +1


Bojan wrote:Lots of complainers here..

It seems we are "complainers" because (we) I did my review of a game, a personal opinion...mmm interesting term...


Bojan wrote:seem to play on the pc with a keyboard and claim there are handling issues and graphics problems.

Not me, I played the game with Xbox 360 controller and keyboard as well, same result, unpredictable handling, very tight at time, seems cars can't corner properly at low speeds. For graphics I have the following system:

i7 930 @ 4.3 Ghz
MSI X58M
8GB DDR3 Crucial BallistiX
GTX 570 OC'ed

Still the game stutters some time even if BF3 (which is supposedly a demaning DX11 game) isn't making any problem compared to another Frostbite 2 engine. For a 30 FPS capped game, it does "good", but it still feels unpolished and "laggy" at most of the races.

Bojan wrote:Framerate is fine on a console


Of course, the game was destined for console, a perfect reduction of the Frostbite 2 engine PC native to console, then re-ported to PC. 30 FPS cap on PC -> Console port.

Bojan wrote:and playing with a controller is something completely different than with a keyboard :)


Yes, and if you are able to plug a Xbox360 into your PC still the handling is a mixture of ProStreet and somehow HP.


And I guess if this is a forum in where we can express our opinnion, at least I can give my taste of what I think of this game, which is mostly deception, by the points I have exposed.I felt a little bit offended by the term "complainer", after all its a product which I certainly payed for and IMHO I have the right to expose my toughts :)
Image
User avatar
xturbo
Professional
Professional
 
Posts: 2293
Joined: 24 Aug 2005, 19:42
Location: Chile

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby Bojan » 29 Dec 2011, 19:41

You are complaining, aren't you? And there's more of you complaining then us liking it :)
Image
User avatar
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 5174
Joined: 11 Sep 2002, 21:35
Location: Slovenia

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby xturbo » 29 Dec 2011, 19:48

Bojan wrote:You are complaining, aren't you? And there's more of you complaining then us liking it :)


I'm giving my points, I don't see the "rage" involved with the comment nor the bad words. You can call it criticism, which can be good or bad, but complain for me sounds like "no thiz game is ****** and suckz so badh!!!111!".

I don't see myself "complaining", just giving a personal opinion or criticism about it. I have made my statements with information from the content, not with my emotion ;)

Anyways, not only the ones you call "complain" give this game a bad score, also professional reviews also did it, and they're supposedly not "complaining" :)
Image
User avatar
xturbo
Professional
Professional
 
Posts: 2293
Joined: 24 Aug 2005, 19:42
Location: Chile

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby TheStig » 29 Dec 2011, 21:30

I find this topic to be very entertaining.

Bojan wrote:You are complaining, aren't you? And there's more of you complaining then us liking it :)


Often things like these are due to something being of low quality.

I would be complaining if I paid full retail of something that is to put nicely substandard, but then I didn't expect EA to deliver a decent NFS game so didn't even bother to buy it.
The
Maybe I outgrown the NFS series, I used to love the games to death, NFS MW was the last NFS game I played that was good, I even played it recently , same goes for Pro Street played it recently(for some reason I did like it even with it's weird handling and other flaws, maybe because it was new.)
I agree that Undercover was probably the worst NFS of the series.
And I stopped buying NFS games after that.
Had High hopes for HP but just couldn't live with the handling of the cars in the game.

Maybe it's because I'm now more used to more serious racers like the FM series.
I still think back at the good old days of Underground, had huge amounts of fun with that game, online and offline, it was worth every penny.
Like I said maybe I just outgrown it...... or the NFS games EA throws out are a far cry from what they made several years ago.
Image
User avatar
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 8738
Joined: 30 Jan 2004, 02:40
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby Bojan » 30 Dec 2011, 00:07

Complaining is being unsatisfied with a certain thing and expressing it out loud, isn't it?

But yea, if you expected something else than a total arcade, then you'll be disappointed. I however love the handling, the scenery and track design and the overall sense of speed. But that's also the reason why I love the series.
Yup, I'm biased and I have been since TNFS.
It's not perfect though, the run could be longer, loading times should be shorter, there could be more game modes. But in my eyes those are lesser flaws and I didn't play it on the pc, which sadly has more problems than consoles. But that's exactly the reason why I practically don't do pc gaming anymore.
Image
User avatar
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 5174
Joined: 11 Sep 2002, 21:35
Location: Slovenia

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby TRANSFORMER » 04 Jan 2012, 15:27

Well... I had to wait until today to check NFS The Run out now! :)

I read almost @ll Comments here and I can understand @ll Opinions - very interesting! :twisted:

I've just upgraded my Windows XP to Windows 7 and before I've checked out "Driver San Fransisco"! :wink:

Driver San Fransisco I can recommend to @ll of You -
it's a really beatyfull Game with interesting Story-Mode! 8)
Drifting there is really cool and believeable, not as in RD GRID though, BUT enjoyable! :D

Too bad San Francisco is NOT a Part of NFS World Online... :roll: [OFF-Topic]
Image
User avatar
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock
 
Posts: 653
Joined: 28 Apr 2007, 13:38
Location: Earth

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby anel93 » 05 Jan 2012, 22:36

i have tested Driver: SF and i agree with you that drift there is amazing, you can almost feel like you are in a Fast and Furious movie with that Charger you drive :)
@Bojan
Do you got skype?
anel93
Ricer
Ricer
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 23 Nov 2006, 01:20

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby xturbo » 09 Jan 2012, 10:28

Bojan wrote:Complaining is being unsatisfied with a certain thing and expressing it out loud, isn't it?

Again I don't know where did I say it "loud" as you express, like "shouting" or "cursing"?

Bojan wrote:But yea, if you expected something else than a total arcade, then you'll be disappointed. I however love the handling, the scenery and track design and the overall sense of speed. But that's also the reason why I love the series.
Yup, I'm biased and I have been since TNFS.


I always expect the best from NFS, and NFS WAS born with the Arcade in mind, that what I have been playing since TNFS (except NFS IV hardcore, Porsche 2000 and Pro Street/Shift series), but when you have facts and take a look how those games where made, the whole "inspiration" behind NFS wasn't a "mafia plot" or "the pursuit of money", it was just racing your car in exotic locations with exotic cars, you should know that as much as me :)

I actually start feeling that NFS had no passion behind since Carbon, recycling and porting afterwards...it wasn't the same NFS we knew long before when TNFS, NFS II, NFS III, NFS IV, NFS V, probably NFS HP2, NFS Underground 1&2 and Most Wanted. You feel that there was something, a big insipiration in the games I've mentioned....after that, it was just following the scheme of CoD-alike games releasing recylcled stuff every year, with non-original ideas and feeling "empty". That's exactly how I feel about the NFS series now, and just because I've been supporting this franchise since I'm a kid (I'm 25 now), I've bought EVERY NFS so far. Yeah, that includes Carbon, Pro Street and the infamous Undercover. Why? Because i love this game, I grew up with it, it is sad to see your favourite game going in a direction that was not the purpose, that was not the "spirit" of the game. I actually feel so bored playing the lately NFS games that I might end up switching definetively to another franchise (could be Forza, Midnight Club, GTR Evo, among others..) but I'm still buying NFS games just because I love them and I wait every annoucement with passion, despite at the end the game sucks or doesn't fulfill my expectations.

Bojan wrote:It's not perfect though, the run could be longer, loading times should be shorter, there could be more game modes. But in my eyes those are lesser flaws and I didn't play it on the pc, which sadly has more problems than consoles. But that's exactly the reason why I practically don't do pc gaming anymore.


Exactly: if I remember well, older NFS games were given the proper treatment, and PROPER conversion if it was the case. Nowadays BlackBox just ports to cut the developing time, and spend less resources. And there is where they fail, without doing proper QA tests swearing to the consumer that they do it, and you have the mentioned problems. Also, it's not that hard to read around the comments, scores and other opinions to realize this game lacks a lot of features that did NFS a great franchise.
Image
User avatar
xturbo
Professional
Professional
 
Posts: 2293
Joined: 24 Aug 2005, 19:42
Location: Chile

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby Bojan » 09 Jan 2012, 10:44

Out loud in my case doesn't mean you're shouting or cursing, it means that you're, and let me put it in exact words so you won't misinterpret again, typing posts with negative opinions about the game.

What I will say about the story mode is that today you can't simply expect an arcade racer to just have an option to select a track and a car. You need a story, you need customization, you need multiplayer and a ton of other features. I'm not going to discuss the quality of the story in The Run (for which I found that it's primary role is to cool down a bit between the races), but in my opinion the game accomplished everything well enough. While I wouldn't say it is a top representative of the series, I certainly wouldn't say it's bad either as in my opinion the core features that make NFS a NFS are there (sense of speed, cars, tracks, overall feel).
Image
User avatar
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 5174
Joined: 11 Sep 2002, 21:35
Location: Slovenia

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby VG_Speed » 03 Feb 2012, 20:56

Hi all!

The Run is, for me, a very good game, because for me the most important is achieved: the cars behave well, and you can feel perfectly the weight of the car and if its AWD, FWD or RWD!
Apart from that:
a) The graphics are solid and the game has absolutely no problems with framerate (kept 30 fps stable before patch, and now after the patch, even with all in Ultra @ 1080p, I have almost always more then 60 fps);
b) The Online mode is resonable. You can use voicecomm (you can even mute people after the patch, which is welcome); you can use Origin for Chat; and the Online versions of the tracks are even greater that some of their offline counterparts;
c) The Single Player is not that long and can be upsetting at times, but I just do it because I have to, so for me is not a minus;
d) The selection of cars is awesome and you have a lot of them (still the PS3 guys have some hate from me! :P);
e) The tracks layout is very good, even if some are too twisted for the cars they want us to use;
f) The Challenges are a great plus I believe and the fact more can be added is good thinking;
g) Autolog works resonably well;
h) Sound is quite good, although after the patch when you have very high framerates and use faster cars you have some stutter (which is realistic to a certain point).

Problems:
a) We should be able to make private rooms (the fact we cant, basically kills the possibility for a serious competition);
b) We should be able to turn off traffic (I understand that by having it we increase the luck factor removing importance to the player skill and things get more balanced, but it sucks);
c) The restarts in Challenges should be faster;
d) The reset system is probably a good thing, but sometimes gives advantage and that sucks;
e) The game sometimes blocks;
f) Sometimes the wheel settings get lost and the FF settings also change (this last one is quite important, although for me is not that serious since I dont use Center Spring).

There would be probably some more things to say, but the fact is that I am having fun with this game... Probably the most fun since ProStreet, although I loved Shift 1 and I believe that Shift 2 could have been the best NFS ever if they had wanted it.

About the Keyboard... I was a Keyboarder for many years and I can tell you this: Underground 1 was very similar with Analog or Digital, but Gamepad seemed to be a little better; Underground 2 was best with Digital; Most Wanted was better with Wheel; Carbon was better with Analog, Gamepad or Wheel seemed to be at same level; Undercover seemed to be better with Digital because of some bug I dont remember now, that made it faster, but would suck to use it; Shift 1 was 100% Wheel as was Shift 2; Hot Pursuit I didnt play because it was ridiculous, for that I would play World; The Run seems to be better with Wheel, but I have seen excelent videos from Keyboard players, which makes me think that maybe they are at least very similar on some tracks and with some cars, but dont know how much across the board.

I will open a topic with some of my videos. If you want to check them out, please do! ;)

Rogério
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
 
Posts: 197
Joined: 27 Dec 2004, 14:18

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby xturbo » 08 Feb 2012, 00:25

VG_Speed wrote:a) The graphics are solid and the game has absolutely no problems with framerate (kept 30 fps stable before patch, and now after the patch, even with all in Ultra @ 1080p, I have almost always more then 60 fps)

I totally disagree. The retail version (i'm talking about the version you get straight out of the box) just features a stupid 30FPS cap in a PC engine that can feature an incredible ammount of detail. Despite being a PC native engine, this version of Frostbite 2 only features a modified hybrid between DX9 and DX10, not taking advantage of DX11 at all.

And Antialising...where is that to soft all the jagged cars, textures, buildings, among others????

VG_Speed wrote:b) The Online mode is resonable. You can use voicecomm (you can even mute people after the patch, which is welcome); you can use Origin for Chat; and the Online versions of the tracks are even greater that some of their offline counterparts.

You talk like if The Run had lots of online game modes, when it only features the same SP modes...but with online players. No circuit, no nothing...and you take a voicecomm as a great feature? C'mon...even Teamspeak or Xfire or Skype can do a better trick....lol.

VG_Speed wrote:c) The Single Player is not that long and can be upsetting at times, but I just do it because I have to, so for me is not a minus.


SP is really short, but if you are probably spending alot in online races, at least make the online part longer, not the same thing as SP. Add more game modes, tracks or other stuff that compensates the SP shortness.

VG_Speed wrote:d) The selection of cars is awesome and you have a lot of them (still the PS3 guys have some hate from me! :P);


Although the car selection is excellent, there are some cars that definetively should not be taken off the roster and convert them into exclusives, like the Carrera GT. To keep more interested players in all platforms, these exclusive cars should have been available in the 3 platforms, not divided.

VG_Speed wrote:The tracks layout is very good, even if some are too twisted for the cars they want us to use.

Tracks are greatly designed. However the total distance is not real...there are far more places when running from SF to NY. But most of them are really close to real life ones :)

VG_Speed wrote:f) The Challenges are a great plus I believe and the fact more can be added is good thinking.

Challenges are fun, but it is the same as SP...little bit more difficult. Just that.


VG_Speed wrote:g) Autolog works resonably well.

Yeah, autolog this time was refined, but still the game lacks the game modes, it would be nice to have more gem types to diversify the results and have more competition.

VG_Speed wrote:h) Sound is quite good, although after the patch when you have very high framerates and use faster cars you have some stutter (which is realistic to a certain point).

Can you explain this? I haven't got any stutter after the patch, and why is it realistic?? :S
Image
User avatar
xturbo
Professional
Professional
 
Posts: 2293
Joined: 24 Aug 2005, 19:42
Location: Chile

Re: My Review of "The Run"

Postby VG_Speed » 10 Feb 2012, 21:36

Hi!

Man... I didn't realize that my opinion of the game would be turn apart! Eheh!

a) Graphics: I don't really care if you agree or not... That is my view of the game! :P Could it be better? Of course, but its heavy enough I think. More detail would probably compromise the "racing" part of the game. I have a very decent PC and at 1080p my game goes under 50 fps (after patch) with graphics on Ultra on certain parts of certain tracks. The same happens for anti-aliasing... I doubt I would use if that option was available.

b) Online: Maybe a few new modes would be welcomed, but Circuit goes against the base of the game... We don't have Circuit Racing here, we have a series of sprints and that is what the game reflects. Could it have Circuit? I would welcome it, but I understand why it doesn't have it.
You comment about voice-comm is clearly from someone that doesn't know much about it or uses it so much that forgets something fundamental: TeamSpeak requires people to be in the same room, connected to the same server. The others require the other player has your number/ID. Under that point of view, I maintain my view about this feature being cool, since it doesn't have that restriction. Now that we can mute the players we dont want to hear, its perfect.

c) Again, I have spent more time doing Challenges and now I have been re-doing The Run in Stages... Basically, most of the time I played this game was in competition thru the Autolog feature. Online mode is limited for me because we cant close the room and choose the tracks ourselves, not because it lacks game modes or other tracks. Who plays Online Games knows that in the end only 20%-30% of the Tracks/Maps end by being played on a constant basis... Same with Game Modes.

d) I agree that the cars should exist for all platforms in equal number, that is why I did the comment I did about the PS3.

e) I agree, there would be more scenery to be added, and they could had done it.

f) Challenges are really awesome, especially due to Autolog and if you have friends that can put up a fight. I wouldn't say its the same as SP, although I get why you say it. Still, Challenges is something short that can be tried and re-tried in a short amount of time and that makes a big difference.

g) When I think about Autolog I see a few things they could add, but I am not sure how that would work with casual players... To add more stuff is to turn it more complex and NFS games are not made for Hardcore gamers alone...

h) What I mean about the sound is that it seems it has gaps... I will upload a video with Coastal Rush 4 Challenge (Time Hunter with Camaro SS HUNTER) where that can be spotted easily already as soon as the lap starts and the car goes over 250 km/h. As for the realism, it is because it somehow reflects what happens in reality when the speed is high and the car is cutting the air.

Cya!

Rogério
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
 
Posts: 197
Joined: 27 Dec 2004, 14:18

PreviousNext

Return to The Run

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron