Need for Speed The Run Official Announcement

Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Need for Speed The Run Official Announcement

Post by Bojan »

With yesterday's teaser trailer leak for the new Need for Speed, today it was announced on the official website:
It has been so hard not to talk about this with all of you! Need for Speed The Run is a high-stakes, high-octane race from San Francisco to New York. You’ll be pushing 200 miles per hour, causing chaos in urban traffic or blazing along icy passes while battling hundreds of other racers (and cops!). This game has blockbuster written all over it. I’ve been lucky enough to get some precious hands-on time, and let me tell you, it’s going to be AWESOME!

The visuals are absolutely jaw-dropping. Thanks to the Frostbite 2.0 engine, the cars look killer, the environments look phenomenal, and the characters are engaging as ever. As you would expect, we’re upping the ante on Autolog as well. This game will take Need for Speed to the next level.

I can’t share everything yet, but stay tuned for more news on NeedForSpeedTheRun.com as we edge closer to November 15, 2011!
Strafer
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Need for Speed The Run Official Announcement

Post by Strafer »

Mustang? Good enough for me.

GOTY.
elie8
Drift King
Drift King

Post by elie8 »

OMG !! :shock: =P~ SWEET !! =D> :wink:
What Comes Around, Goes Around ...
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Frostbite 2...that's a really good engine. Will be interesting to see how the concept pans out though.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

I hope they include the DX11 renderer, it would be awesome to see the next-gen NFS using a superb engine like the FB 2.0 :D
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

actually if they did use DX11... *where Dirt2 didn't really improve with DX11 integration*
it may actually be quite amazing
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frostbite_Engine

According to this wiki entry here, NFS will only use DX9, unlike BF3..
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Actually that table now shows that the next NFS will use DX 10 and DX 11 only. But since there are no sources, the information could very well be wrong.

I don't think EA will pull the plug of DX9 in NFS games, at least not for now. If they wanted to do that, they would have done it with SHIFT 2. Remember that for them, the most important thing is to sell, and there are still many players who play NFS in old computers, thus using DX 9. :)
T0MMY
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by T0MMY »

i got a feeling they'll support DX 9, since majority NFS are game ports and they normally give better support on console, why would they really care about PC that much? if they going full blast on DX 10 and DX 11 i think it will destroy Xbox 360 maybe PS3 able to handle it but i heard PS3 SHIFT 2 is just PC medium setting. As for Battlefield 3, making it full DX 10 and DX11 is different, mainly all hardcore CF players are on PC, PC also got more player support per match in BF3 while Xbox 360 and PS3 has a lower count.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

YaelDjiel wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frostbite_Engine

According to this wiki entry here, NFS will only use DX9, unlike BF3..
It's wikipedia anyways, you can't trust anything that wiki says....

Anyways, I wish they could implement DX11. AFAIK Frostbite 2.0 is DX11 native, it would suck if they didn't put DX11 as an option to the eventual DX9, would give a better boost in FPS and visual quality.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

The game sounds good with the whole storytline of racing across america.(reminds me of the my n64 and me playing cruisin') but the only thing im worried about is replay value, but there is too little info to worry about that i guess.
Instagram @SupraHKS
RBA
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RBA »

Huh... Yeah... We heard that before about the game being amazing... EA's good at selling promises they don't uphold. Ok, if it look cool, but what if the game JUST look cool? What if it is a "World" kinda game, full of bugs and all but only looking sparkling?

To make a good game, you needs to have good programers, not only good graphic artists. I must admit, the idea is kinda nice, reminds me of the Cannonball Run and Gumball rallye movies, but... It's BB that's gonna do the game AND lately BB's not able to give us what they claim they're gonna give us. Do I have to remind you that they also made Undercover?

AJ_Lethal
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AJ_Lethal »

RBA wrote:Huh... Yeah... We heard that before about the game being amazing... EA's good at selling promises they don't uphold. Ok, if it look cool, but what if the game JUST look cool? What if it is a "World" kinda game, full of bugs and all but only looking sparkling?

To make a good game, you needs to have good programers, not only good graphic artists. I must admit, the idea is kinda nice, reminds me of the Cannonball Run and Gumball rallye movies, but... It's BB that's gonna do the game AND lately BB's not able to give us what they claim they're gonna give us. Do I have to remind you that they also made Undercover?

They spend 3 yrs making this game, so if it turns out to be crap, BB is screwed.
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

Hydro_PT wrote:Actually that table now shows that the next NFS will use DX 10 and DX 11 only.
Uhm.. how so? there is a green check under dx9, and red X's under dx10 and dx11..
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

RBA wrote:Huh... Yeah... We heard that before about the game being amazing... EA's good at selling promises they don't uphold. Ok, if it look cool, but what if the game JUST look cool? What if it is a "World" kinda game, full of bugs and all but only looking sparkling?

I think it's easy to get into the 'EA won't deliver' mentality as has been a common frame of mind for a lot of users here lately, but seriously, give them a chance, the just announced it! :P It all sounds good so far, having an awesome graphics engine shouldn't mean they're prioritising the graphics over the gameplay, and the story seems intriguing, so just wait and see...
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

YaelDjiel wrote:
Hydro_PT wrote:Actually that table now shows that the next NFS will use DX 10 and DX 11 only.
Uhm.. how so? there is a green check under dx9, and red X's under dx10 and dx11..
doesn't really matter...
it will not be accurate until officially confirmed
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

YaelDjiel wrote:
I think the table is messed up. It should be just DX10 and 11 according to this quote higher up the page:
Frostbite 2.0

The next generation of Frostbite will debut with Battlefield 3. It will take full advantage of the DirectX 11 API and 64-bit processors, with no support for DirectX 9 (nor, therefore, Windows XP)
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

No DX9 support?

..I accept all donations now, gonna need that cash to get a new PC and a new system. Even if i had Windows 7 on this PC, it probably would melt trying to play DX10.
reputated
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by reputated »

OH EA COME ON!
I want UG3! this looks like a mix of split second and undercover...
Some pursue happpiness; others create it
RBA
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RBA »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:I think it's easy to get into the 'EA won't deliver' mentality as has been a common frame of mind for a lot of users here lately, but seriously, give them a chance, the just announced it! :P It all sounds good so far, having an awesome graphics engine shouldn't mean they're prioritising the graphics over the gameplay, and the story seems intriguing, so just wait and see...

Well, when you don't deliver, people start thinking you're not as good as you say you are, this be the case with EA. Thing is, it's not only the NFS games, I heard more and more people complain about ANY of the titles EA release lately.

Yes, it sounds good, but, it's easy to make something that's not good look all glittery and stuff. A campain against such marketing practices is on around here, they say something that translate much or less as: It's not because you can make it look good that it's true.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

For Consoles has to be DX9
PC-> DX10 or DX11

OR! it can be a modded NFSHP engine with frostbite 2.0 above it, just like as the NFSHP is now (the engine + FB 1)

The frostbite is not like fully used, some features of it are picked from it. Criterion developed their own Burnout Paradise engine and added Frostbite 1 engine features, not the whole engine into it.

Same thing should happen here, where BB develops a proper engine and then it adds FB 2.0 features on it.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:I think it's easy to get into the 'EA won't deliver' mentality as has been a common frame of mind for a lot of users here lately, but seriously, give them a chance, the just announced it! :P It all sounds good so far, having an awesome graphics engine shouldn't mean they're prioritising the graphics over the gameplay, and the story seems intriguing, so just wait and see...
You know why a lot of players have this mentality towards EA? And it is not here, it is everywhere. EA doesn't deliver quality games. At least when it comes to NFS. However, I do think that lately EA is slowly changing its modus operandi. That is, they buy companies to develop games, and even though they still have some "power", they let the companies do their work without much interference. You had pretty good games from the publisher EA Games. However, when it comes to NFS, and with the exception of Hot Pursuit and SHIFT 1/2, which were both developed by other studios, EA Games is the solely responsible for those games. BlackBox is owned by EA and they "obey" them. Since they started working in the NFS series you see each year a worst game than the one before. They recycle content from previous games; they add no new things; they promise and promise, and they don't deliver.

Because let's face it, most recent NFS games are not good games. Quality-wise, that is. Of course that here we are fans of the series, we maybe forget about this or that and even enjoy the games. But if you think clearly, you see that most of their games lack quality. And the bottom line was with Undercover, where even the fans started saying "well this sucks".

So it is easy to have this idea that EA just promises things. Which is true if you look at it. The problem with recent NFS games is that everything looks good, but when you start playing it, it just has massive flaws that an AAA game cannot have.

This trend has been slowly changing with the release of Hot Pursuit and SHIFT 1/2. Those games are good, even if you are not a NFS fan. Let's see what Blackbox/EA can come up with now. They had more time to develop the game, so there are no excuses. 3 years should be enough. If it is a fail again, I think we would be right to think "EA won't deliver".

I will wait until the game is installed on my computer, ready to play. Because you can bet that all the descriptions, and videos and images they will release in the following months will definitely look good. The question is, are they really good? :)
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

Wo.0w, that looks like a Story packed Need For Speed! =D>
I hope it will contain the new 2012' Aventador in my Sig! 8)
Besides - I LOVE SAN FRANCISCO! - let it be unforgetable! [-o<

That looks similar to the NFS Run:

Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

I'm not a fanboy by any means, I'm just trying to say that it's a bit harsh to dish out open pessimism to a game as soon as it's announced. We all know EA and the NFS franchise hasn't been good recently, and feel free to acknowledge that, but imo, reserve an opinion of the game until its' release. I have my doubts as do you all, I'm just saying, wait and see :)

Return to “News”