great interview about the design of most wanted

2012 Need for Speed Most Wanted
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

great interview about the design of most wanted

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

Here's the interview talked about decisions, level design from Craig Sullivan and Alex ward perspective.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/ga ... ed-preview
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: great interview about the design of most wanted

Post by Hydro_PT »

Very interesting. :)

There was another one a week ago or so, about how they build the city. They had some nice images of the docks, both WIP and the final version. I can't find it right now, but I will look for it. I always like to know a bit more about how they make the games. :)
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

Hydro_PT wrote:Very interesting. :)

There was another one a week ago or so, about how they build the city. They had some nice images of the docks, both WIP and the final version. I can't find it right now, but I will look for it. I always like to know a bit more about how they make the games. :)
it's on their website...
designing gaming environment is nice and interesting (i have a little bit of experience on that... :wink: )
i think they are using maya... blue wireframes.. :mrgreen:

Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

That's it Navid. Thanks! :)

I really like the second picture, with the actual geometry in place, but without the lightning effects. It's... different. :)

I also have some experience with map modelling, as I've done quite a few mods for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (back in the days). It's really nice to see something take shape all by yourself, but you spend tons of hours on it without even noticing...
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

Hydro_PT wrote: ...
It's really nice to see something take shape all by yourself, but you spend tons of hours on it without even noticing...
very true... and not only about designing.!... it's true about anything :)
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

Navid_A1 wrote:
Hydro_PT wrote: ...
It's really nice to see something take shape all by yourself, but you spend tons of hours on it without even noticing...
very true... and not only about designing.!... it's true about anything :)
Yes its quite interesting i took modelling courses , lol and i modeled my ps2 as my final project , i would stay like hours and hours after class just modeling almost without eating but once you see the result and you render its just amazing must be amazed when you as a leader see what your team has accomplished and how it all started from a bunch of lego blocks and post its into a full fledged environment with working road networks lighting and the whole thing, must feel like when you was on your backyard playing with cars and carving a road on the dirt creating a ramp and lunching the car off of it , landing in sum gap of water..ahh i miss my childhood. :cry:
junior6at
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by junior6at »

Perhaps the most important design decision in Most Wanted is the lack of a vehicle progression system. In most racers, you start off with dull everyday vehicles and have to go through a series of races before you start unlocking the really cool sports cars and exotics. But in Criterion's latest - the only cars kept form you are the one's you gain by beating the Most Wanted racers. Everything else is out on the map to discover.
I don't mean to knock them, but the idea of having almost all cars available from the get go isn't all that new. Most of the racers from the 90's were like this (NFS, Test Drive), including ones that had a linear career mode of sorts. Although I guess it's a bit unusual to have this today, still there's some effort required to get those cars that are available from the start.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

junior6at wrote:
Perhaps the most important design decision in Most Wanted is the lack of a vehicle progression system. In most racers, you start off with dull everyday vehicles and have to go through a series of races before you start unlocking the really cool sports cars and exotics. But in Criterion's latest - the only cars kept form you are the one's you gain by beating the Most Wanted racers. Everything else is out on the map to discover.
I don't mean to knock them, but the idea of having almost all cars available from the get go isn't all that new. Most of the racers from the 90's were like this (NFS, Test Drive), including ones that had a linear career mode of sorts. Although I guess it's a bit unusual to have this today, still there's some effort required to get those cars that are available from the start.
You need a lot of points to challenge the most wanted ,not only that but once you get those cars you have to unlock mods and races,colors and mods combinations.41 cars each of those cars have races and events ,guys do the the math,you gonna spend hours playing to unlock other things , except for the cars , they give you the cars you do the rest, want better transmission earn it,want new tires,slick..work hard for it how about that sweet orange aventador color buy it , unlock it , its simple..you won a Lamborghini in real life,they give you the keys to it ,you want a new paint job work and pay for it.

I wish people would really understand the concept at hand here, unlike the stupid black box the run..great concept , lack of polish, horrible game design and unplayable network code.
junior6at
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by junior6at »

Phantom Pain, I understand what they are doing, completely. I'm just making some observations with how they're promoting their games.

I keep hearing people say how terrible The Run is that it's making me want to get it out of curiosity. Surely it isn't the worst racer out there. I've played my share of crappy racers in my time so I'm not at all intimidated.
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

junior6at wrote:
I keep hearing people say how terrible The Run is that it's making me want to get it out of curiosity. Surely it isn't the worst racer out there. ...
nnnoooooo....!
it's not the world design or handling physics.

it's the game... its a bug fest...
apart from that... 1- countless copy/pastes of the same car 2- you can not mute players in MP 3- you don't know that your mic is on in the first couple of months. 4- only ONE type of MP gameplay 5- very short and meaningless story. 6- BBBBUUUUGGGGSSS (both in gameplay and sound)...7- lots of lag in MP..............

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

Navid_A1 wrote:
junior6at wrote:
I keep hearing people say how terrible The Run is that it's making me want to get it out of curiosity. Surely it isn't the worst racer out there. ...
nnnoooooo....!
it's not the world design or handling physics.

it's the game... its a bug fest...
apart from that... 1- countless copy/pastes of the same car 2- you can not mute players in MP 3- you don't know that your mic is on in the first couple of months. 4- only ONE type of MP gameplay 5- very short and meaningless story. 6- BBBBUUUUGGGGSSS (both in gameplay and sound)...7- lots of lag in MP..............

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
ITs a game that feels recycled it horrible man..i almost gave up on need for speed after i defended this game on the forum and was soo excited for it as the days were going y and it was in the promotion process,i got all my need for speed games and trade them at gamestop .. :?
junior6at
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by junior6at »

You guys make me lol.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

junior6at wrote:I keep hearing people say how terrible The Run is that it's making me want to get it out of curiosity. Surely it isn't the worst racer out there. I've played my share of crappy racers in my time so I'm not at all intimidated.
I think you should try it out. :) Some people really enjoyed the game, maybe you will be one of them? :wink:

I was not one of those players, as for me The Run is, together with Undercover, the worst NFS game ever made. The concept is excellent, I must say. But apart from some sections of the run, most of it is pretty shallow. The story sucks, period. There are too many variants of the same car, game engine is too heavy for a racing game (bad optimization), the cars feel like bricks on rails, sense of speed is bad, most of the races are SCRIPTED, so the replay value is very low, the game doesn't properly support a racing wheel, the AI is dumb. Also, the run is very small. I mean, you have to drive a lot of km, yet you do that in what, 5 hours of gameplay? Maybe less if you are really fast. In some stages you cover more than 500 km, yet you only raced about 7 minutes or less. It is not realistic.

Pluses, in my opinion: the locations are beautiful, very varied, and there are some nice challenges along the run. Music is spot on for each race, you do feel in a movie. There is some nice action on wheels, like escaping mob cars, getting away from an avalanche, that kind of stuff. But the pluses don't make up for the minuses. To me, it's a bad NFS game. But I think you should try it out and get your own opinion about it. :)
junior6at
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by junior6at »

I followed The Run when it was announced last year, I read many reviews about it. It's why I didn't bother to get it on release, so instead I've waited for the price to go down.

I've owned and played every NFS except the oddball variations on Wii, portables, and World. Undercover I disliked and I agree that it was one of the low points of the series. Prostreet is another that gets hate, but I actually enjoyed it even though midway through things got repetitive.

If anything it's mostly to satisfy my curiosity. If I end up hating it, at least I will have that perspective, being a loyal follower of the series.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

One of the secrets ,the wet streets how they got wet? if theres no weather change in the game?..i need sum explanation .can someone ask that question on their Facebook or twitter.

thank you.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

Phantom_pain33 wrote:One of the secrets ,the wet streets how they got wet? if theres no weather change in the game?..i need sum explanation .can someone ask that question on their Facebook or twitter.

thank you.
Sprinklers. but really idk, maybe it is a lighting thing, or the gutters overflowed. Really dont know, Criterion will have their reason.

On the topic of The Run, that was the first NFS i havent purchased since HP2
Instagram @SupraHKS
junior6at
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by junior6at »

^What was wrong with HP2?
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

junior6at wrote:^What was wrong with HP2?
nothing, i just stated i have bought every nfs that came out since HP2, but i skipped out on the run. It was the 1st NFS that i didnt purchase since HP2 came out.
Instagram @SupraHKS
junior6at
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by junior6at »

I see, thanks for clarifying.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

:roll: anybody talking bout one of my favorite NFS of all times *crazy look*..hmmm.. :mrgreen:

Return to “Most Wanted 2012”