New Need for Speed Trailer

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Dr Houbenheimer » 26 May 2015, 02:33

Eurotrash wrote:
Dr Houbenheimer wrote:Have you looked at any of the information they've released, or the trailer? It's clear a spiritual successor to the UG-Carbon days, and they've gone as far as to call it a re-boot of the series to 'bring it back to what made the series great'.


The "UG-Carbon days" cover at least 4 games. More if we assume they didn't end with Carbon, and they didn't. As for the series, it didn't start with Underground, look it up. This was the first Need For Speed game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkKxAnOsKfU

And it dates back nearly a decade before Underground. Also does not feature hip-hop, Walmart trunk speakers, tinted NOS spray (wtf), "riced" mommy-mobiles or a pointless story mode to drag it down. What it does have though are physics that made Gran Turismo look like Mario Kart, a great sense of speed (hence the title) and a set of the most popular sports cars of the time (if not ever). THAT is what Need For Speed is about.

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:The latest 'Most Wanted' quite clearly was going to be nothing like the 2005 game and never pretended to be so.


And this one will be? Why? Apart from some white guys with baseball caps screaming "yo yo!" I don't see how it resembles Underground or Carbon at all. On the other hand, I've spotted a few similarities with The Run:

-Battlefield style graphics, mostly cyan and orange visual treatment
-Simplistic car customization (a wide bodykit, a set of rims, a custom paintjob, and go)
-Real location, American city
-Bad soundtrack

Most Wanted actually had me fooled at first. This one isn't even trying.


You're right, the UG-Carbon era did span 4 games, it was an era, after all. Though they had their differences, they were all focused on the 'urban street racing culture' that is now being revisited by the series. It did end with Carbon - the following games were ProStreet (went to a on-track format and dialed down the arcade driving physics elements) and Shift (further progressing into a semi-sim, on track racer).

No one said the series started with Underground, who said that? It was a popular period in the series and they're now returning to what the vast majority of fans have been clamoring for for years now. Have a look at the social media accounts of NFS and the like both before and after the announcement.

What 'Need for Speed is about' is a subjective term - the series has been constantly re-iterated and perpetually evolving.

You don't like the over the top "ricer" scene portrayed in the UG games, that's fine, but to each their own, it was a popular trend at the time and this was reflected in great sales numbers. From all accounts so far, the game is now reflecting modern urban car culture, and that's evident in the media releases so far and backed up by numerous third party sources.
User avatar
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: 25 Mar 2009, 06:38
Location: Australia

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Phantom_pain33 » 26 May 2015, 05:10

CarbonXRS wrote:I don't want to get hyped up because I don't want to be let down if the game falls apart. Trailers and gameplay videos won't help because EA spends 90% of money and effort into marketing and 10% into actually making games, so we'll just have to wait until the game is released to judge it.

But dammit the trailer still looked cool!


WeLL said! =D>
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King
 
Posts: 531
Joined: 19 Jul 2012, 19:16

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Phantom_pain33 » 26 May 2015, 06:41

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:
Eurotrash wrote:
Dr Houbenheimer wrote:Have you looked at any of the information they've released, or the trailer? It's clear a spiritual successor to the UG-Carbon days, and they've gone as far as to call it a re-boot of the series to 'bring it back to what made the series great'.


The "UG-Carbon days" cover at least 4 games. More if we assume they didn't end with Carbon, and they didn't. As for the series, it didn't start with Underground, look it up. This was the first Need For Speed game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkKxAnOsKfU

And it dates back nearly a decade before Underground. Also does not feature hip-hop, Walmart trunk speakers, tinted NOS spray (wtf), "riced" mommy-mobiles or a pointless story mode to drag it down. What it does have though are physics that made Gran Turismo look like Mario Kart, a great sense of speed (hence the title) and a set of the most popular sports cars of the time (if not ever). THAT is what Need For Speed is about.

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:The latest 'Most Wanted' quite clearly was going to be nothing like the 2005 game and never pretended to be so.


And this one will be? Why? Apart from some white guys with baseball caps screaming "yo yo!" I don't see how it resembles Underground or Carbon at all. On the other hand, I've spotted a few similarities with The Run:

-Battlefield style graphics, mostly cyan and orange visual treatment
-Simplistic car customization (a wide bodykit, a set of rims, a custom paintjob, and go)
-Real location, American city
-Bad soundtrack

Most Wanted actually had me fooled at first. This one isn't even trying.


You're right, the UG-Carbon era did span 4 games, it was an era, after all. Though they had their differences, they were all focused on the 'urban street racing culture' that is now being revisited by the series. It did end with Carbon - the following games were ProStreet (went to a on-track format and dialed down the arcade driving physics elements) and Shift (further progressing into a semi-sim, on track racer).

No one said the series started with Underground, who said that? It was a popular period in the series and they're now returning to what the vast majority of fans have been clamoring for for years now. Have a look at the social media accounts of NFS and the like both before and after the announcement.

What 'Need for Speed is about' is a subjective term - the series has been constantly re-iterated and perpetually evolving.

You don't like the over the top "ricer" scene portrayed in the UG games, that's fine, but to each their own, it was a popular trend at the time and this was reflected in great sales numbers. From all accounts so far, the game is now reflecting modern urban car culture, and that's evident in the media releases so far and backed up by numerous third party sources.


Clearly this game is being marketed aggressively by EA but i learn my lesson don't get hyped about graphics or trailers as of now I'm interested in see what is it that they are doing but gaming development and publishing has become just like politicians they promise and promise and never deliver. I'm pretty sure EA will kill it with the micro transactions and off course the DLC's..a big example of how EA treat the fanbase is with battlefront the game is pretty much already doom and is not even out why..because your doing a reboot of a respected franchise with crazy fans and your not going to include a campaign mode they think they can pull off a titanfall did...as for need for speed in every article or interview the first thing they say is customization, in depth customization, deep customization,open world nocturnal and story exactly what the fans of the underground era wanna hear or read..they throw the word underground..fool me once , fool me twice not a third time..

I'm gonna be looking forward to this game..just hope you have a custom vinyl system like underground 2 and at least we get day to night cycle.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King
 
Posts: 531
Joined: 19 Jul 2012, 19:16

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Kaerar » 26 May 2015, 10:16

Seeing as it's running on FB3 it should get the upgrades to the engine (notably the 60/120Hz tick rate etc...) as well as a more seasoned team at the helm (Ghost are learning it seems).

The good points are a return to the Underground era, it was a fantastic run, to say that an RX-7 or a Nissan GTR are mummy mobiles is kinda insane really. The option to modify allows the option to individualise, something people do on everything from Fiesta's to Ferrari's. Mansory has been destroying the look of amazing Supercars for years and isn't going out of business any time soon. So to deny that exists in car culture is like sticking your head in a toilet bowl for the aroma.

The other thing that bugs me about "going to the roots of the series" is that the people who "loved" the originals seem to forget how simplistic and incredibly stale they were. I've played the series since NFS II and liked them all in their own way until Undercover hit. That was like a massive kick to the nutsack IMO. Empty world, crap handling and a story straight out of Days of our Lives. There were a couple of good ideas, Pro Street almost did something right, Shift was a different game and shouldn't have had the NFS monika, though Shift 2 was a really good racer once you put the Unofficial Community Patch on. The more recent attempts were mostly dire though, as can be seen by the forum activity for them compared to Underground to Carbon on these boards.

For me one of the best of the series though was the original NFS 3 Hot Pursuit. My memories of that game are great, downloadable cars, good MP activity and some really amazing tracks for the time. The game itself outside of that had pretty much zero logic or single player progression and as a game really wasn't too great, but the racing was good and fun. NFS 4 added damage, 5 was just a bunch of pendulum's and 6 tried to recreate 3 but had floaty heavy steering and cars that in turn felt like whales compared to the previous trio.

Underground was a breath of fresh air in that respect. It was fast, fun again and added a reason for doing what you were doing instead of it being a semi-glorified cannonball run. The car customisation at the time was a first, well implemented even if some of the parts were ugly as sin. It capitalised on the release of The Fast and the Furious, which in turn catalysed a renewed interest in racing games. It outsold all previous NFS games. U2 took that further with the free roam and fantastic cityscape for it's time. Most Wanted took a slightly different direction, dumbing down the tuning and re-adding the cops. Then Carbon combined the 3 and added canyon racing, even if it's probably the weakest installment of the four.

I should also note that pre NFS Underground the series sold 23.2 Million copies across NFS 1-6. During the next six years (Underground to the first NFS Shift) it sol 76.8 Million copies (Figures from the NFS Shift post-release). So I think targeting the group that was Underground to Shift era is a very logical marketing idea. The fans of the original, are getting very old and crotchety these days too, making a game for them has proven very hard as EA are still a company stuck in the frame of 6 to 20yr olds are gamers, run by accountants and non-gaming executives.

Personally that trailer has excited the Most Wanted and Underground 2 teenager in me. It's got the looks right, the handling of the cars was heavily exaggerated but I don't mind too much as long as it races well, unlike Rival's or The Runs of this world. I don't and never will get the overly nostalgic feel for pre-Underground games though as all I have to do to remind me of how far we've come since then is to start them up for a single race.
User avatar
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 03 Mar 2004, 10:14

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Navid_A1 » 26 May 2015, 15:52

The trailer looks nice.

However, if the roots which they are going to return to is souped up second hand cars with no super/hyper car + night only racing... then... no thanks.!
good luck with those "roots".
User avatar
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
 
Posts: 229
Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 17:11

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Eurotrash » 27 May 2015, 10:14

CarbonXRS wrote:I don't want to get hyped up because I don't want to be let down if the game falls apart.


There's a smart man.

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:You're right, the UG-Carbon era did span 4 games, it was an era, after all. Though they had their differences, they were all focused on the 'urban street racing culture' that is now being revisited by the series. It did end with Carbon - the following games were ProStreet (went to a on-track format and dialed down the arcade driving physics elements) and Shift (further progressing into a semi-sim, on track racer).


It spanned more than 4 games. Pro Street and Undercover (at least) are also part of that era. Pro Street might have been a track racer but it hinted numerous times that the races taking place on those tracks weren't 100% legal, and I think it's pretty obvious that none of the drivers in them were professionals. It stinks of "urban car culture".

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:No one said the series started with Underground, who said that? It was a popular period in the series and they're now returning to what the vast majority of fans have been clamoring for for years now. Have a look at the social media accounts of NFS and the like both before and after the announcement.


The majority of Fast & Furious fans, not Need For Speed fans.

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:What 'Need for Speed is about' is a subjective term - the series has been constantly re-iterated and perpetually evolving.

You don't like the over the top "ricer" scene portrayed in the UG games, that's fine, but to each their own, it was a popular trend at the time and this was reflected in great sales numbers. From all accounts so far, the game is now reflecting modern urban car culture, and that's evident in the media releases so far and backed up by numerous third party sources.


I never said I didn't like Underground... well I didn't like the second one. Slow cars, bad music, NOS spray (srsly?), spinners, whatever. But I liked the first. However it killed a series that I liked even more. Need For Speed lost it's identity.
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 07 May 2014, 09:20

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Navid_A1 » 27 May 2015, 15:18

Unfortunately, NFS underground fans are in the majority now (not a nice bunch btw)...
Underground was an infection...

The people who loved true need for speed games (porsche unleashed) are now adults with tons of other concerns.
User avatar
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
 
Posts: 229
Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 17:11

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Phantom_pain33 » 28 May 2015, 15:48

Navid_A1 wrote:Unfortunately, NFS underground fans are in the majority now (not a nice bunch btw)...
Underground was an infection...

The people who loved true need for speed games (porsche unleashed) are now adults with tons of other concerns.


Navid you still around..wow bro..we all go way back since the official need for speed forums, Porsche unleashed totally gave need for speed a hint of simulation but it was still fun and a beautiful game ,excellent presentation too..honestly bro..get yourself a ps4 and buy driveclub if you wanna go back to those days, Driveclub technically is the successor of the real classic need for speeds, nothing but exotic cars,roads inspired by real beautiful locations.Sometimes I'm driving in Driveclub and i just wish a cop could chase me and in some roads i get flashbacks of the classic tracks from the series (NFS) and the presentation is top notch on top of the beautiful visuals.

Anyways according to some leaked material this need for speed coming up will only be at night..that's kind of a let down if its true also for people asking about supercars.. someone leaked a screenshot with a liberty walk body kit/sticker and if you Google liberty walk speed hunters, you see 458,Porsches,lambos,audis all customized also this insider said the handling is on point but will still feature bits and pieces from criterion driving model ( speed,takedowns ect..)

link below
http://asidcast.com/2014/11/21/alleged- ... tail-leak/

--PLEASE TAKE THIS WITH BIG GRAIN OF SALT--

This was posted back in November 2014 if this person is correct ..they were gonna reveal this at the video games award but something happen, some information kind off match a lot of the details of nfs 2015.

Also check out Black Panthaa channel, this guy saw the game already.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King
 
Posts: 531
Joined: 19 Jul 2012, 19:16

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby DJBIDOUILE » 30 May 2015, 01:00

Le moteur est le cœur d'une voiture, mais le pilote
est son âme
DJBIDOUILE
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 104
Joined: 17 Dec 2011, 01:57
Location: Toulouse

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby junior6at » 30 May 2015, 01:59


Wanted to come back to say how disgusted I am with EA's decision to have NFS 2015 require online connection. I've been following the series since 96 with TNFSSE. I've stuck by through thick and thin, and while I didn't necessarily like the direction they went with at times, I still gave the games a purchase.

But here I have to draw the line, and I hope fans of the series are vocal enough to the point where EA reconsiders. Whether the game turns out good or bad is irreverent. Once a game requires online connection, that game then becomes a glorified rental, and we know EA will eventually shut off the servers if they deem it unprofitable. NFS 2015 will be lost with the times.

I'm not even the biggest 2nd gen NFS fan (Underground-Undercover) out there and I do think reboots are cliche, but I truly wanted this to succeed because the fans deserve it. The series fatigue was felt with their last game, Rivals, which is why I think a reboot is necessary. But not like this. I can't get behind this trend of companies nowadays pushing for an online connection requirement for their non-mmo games.
junior6at
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
 
Posts: 190
Joined: 04 May 2010, 05:22

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Eurotrash » 30 May 2015, 02:49

junior6at wrote:Wanted to come back to say how disgusted I am with EA's decision to have NFS 2015 require online connection. I've been following the series since 96 with TNFSSE. I've stuck by through thick and thin, and while I didn't necessarily like the direction they went with at times, I still gave the games a purchase.

But here I have to draw the line, and I hope fans of the series are vocal enough to the point where EA reconsiders. Whether the game turns out good or bad is irreverent. Once a game requires online connection, that game then becomes a glorified rental, and we know EA will eventually shut off the servers if they deem it unprofitable. NFS 2015 will be lost with the times.

I'm not even the biggest 2nd gen NFS fan (Underground-Undercover) out there and I do think reboots are cliche, but I truly wanted this to succeed because the fans deserve it. The series fatigue was felt with their last game, Rivals, which is why I think a reboot is necessary. But not like this. I can't get behind this trend of companies nowadays pushing for an online connection requirement for their non-mmo games.


The fans don't deserve jack. It's their fault NFS is garbage nowadays. They kept buying it even though it all went to hell, I'd say continuing to get ripped-off is what they deserve.

But hey, hat off to anyone saying "NO" for once.
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 07 May 2014, 09:20

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Phantom_pain33 » 30 May 2015, 03:16

junior6at wrote:

Wanted to come back to say how disgusted I am with EA's decision to have NFS 2015 require online connection. I've been following the series since 96 with TNFSSE. I've stuck by through thick and thin, and while I didn't necessarily like the direction they went with at times, I still gave the games a purchase.

But here I have to draw the line, and I hope fans of the series are vocal enough to the point where EA reconsiders. Whether the game turns out good or bad is irreverent. Once a game requires online connection, that game then becomes a glorified rental, and we know EA will eventually shut off the servers if they deem it unprofitable. NFS 2015 will be lost with the times.

I'm not even the biggest 2nd gen NFS fan (Underground-Undercover) out there and I do think reboots are cliche, but I truly wanted this to succeed because the fans deserve it. The series fatigue was felt with their last game, Rivals, which is why I think a reboot is necessary. But not like this. I can't get behind this trend of companies nowadays pushing for an online connection requirement for their non-mmo games.


This is some b.s i saw coming..from the moment i read that all drive is there to stay..i knew something was coming and it became a reality.they say they listen to fans..at E3 they gonna show their trailer showing customization game play and everybody is gonna go crazy by everybody i mean the type of drones of gamers who are drinking the koolaid that publishers keep feeding them, and that's their audience, the people who don't have common sense and they are happy and satisfied with whatever is thrown at them they don't question things, they just buy and shut up, this is not for the fans.

Why can they just separate the multiplayer from single player what if I'm customizing a car and due to migration server issues the game just kicks me out, there's goes my custom vinyls and everything down the drain and their PR response is "the benefits are nice"..i can see it the person is just smiling like yup want this performance parts go to this shop and buy it..be the fastest but you have to pay real money.oo yeah and about season pass someone leaked 3 versions of the game the performance pack,the style pack and the super deluxe edition.

I was looking forward to this game..but now I'm not.

The original EA canada team, with black box need to comeback set up a kickstarter and create a true need for speed successor.not this corporate chopped up product.

Facepalm/
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King
 
Posts: 531
Joined: 19 Jul 2012, 19:16

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Phantom_pain33 » 30 May 2015, 03:25

Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King
 
Posts: 531
Joined: 19 Jul 2012, 19:16

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Demon_Slayer723 » 30 May 2015, 04:03

I too was horrified when I read that it requires the player to be online to play. As I said to a friend on Twitter today, "Multiplayer should be a separate side extension that comes after single player, not with it."
I just wish they would stop attempting to combine Singleplayer and Multiplayer into this big jumbled mess. Singleplayer should be the focus in the majority of games, devs should develop a great singleplayer experience first, then move on to multiplayer. Just ugh. Saying "the benefits are nice" doesn't quite make up for the negatives that come with DRM.
Need For Speed 2015 was looking so great, so promising, then I hear this.
I guess we'll see how it goes at E3, in the end I'll probably cave in and buy it-but not before seeing a good review.
Demon_Slayer723
Ricer
Ricer
 
Posts: 41
Joined: 24 Sep 2012, 07:53
Location: Straya

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Phantom_pain33 » 30 May 2015, 04:15

Demon_Slayer723 wrote:I too was horrified when I read that it requires the player to be online to play. As I said to a friend on Twitter today, "Multiplayer should be a separate side extension that comes after single player, not with it."
I just wish they would stop attempting to combine Singleplayer and Multiplayer into this big jumbled mess. Singleplayer should be the focus in the majority of games, devs should develop a great singleplayer experience first, then move on to multiplayer. Just ugh. Saying "the benefits are nice" doesn't quite make up for the negatives that come with DRM.
Need For Speed 2015 was looking so great, so promising, then I hear this.
I guess we'll see how it goes at E3, in the end I'll probably cave in and buy it-but not before seeing a good review.


The DRM is the excuse for them to watch you ,throw ads at you and finally just shoved micro-transactions at you, just like the crew, I'm driving around and all of the sudden the damn girl just keep saying take advantage of crew credits you are not ready for the next event.you know which online was done right and perfect , burnout paradise and hot pursuit, when they came out with this "All Drive" s**t ,everything went to hell..rivals was a good game..it had the better physics than hot pursuit the tracks were fun full of jumps and the career modes were more deep but off course EA had to f it up with the always online b.s, it should just have point to point races and have a lobby like hot pursuit 2010, i dint even finish the game and it was my first ps4 game..it look great but the servers issue were dumb , let alone you need to have the over-watch app to unlock certain cars and stuff..i see this need for speed being the same b.s...

Everyone sign the petition
https://www.change.org/p/fans-of-the-un ... on-for-nfs
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King
 
Posts: 531
Joined: 19 Jul 2012, 19:16

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Dr Houbenheimer » 31 May 2015, 04:50

I'm not going to continue to argue with you, Euro, because you keep pushing your agenda, but at the end of the day, to each their own. You don't like the take of the latest game and that's fine.

But yeah, this always-online design decision is an incredibly poor one, especially after the SimCity debacle, you'd think they'd have learned. Ghost Games are already aware of the backlash and hopefully continued pressure will ensure an off-line single player component.
User avatar
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: 25 Mar 2009, 06:38
Location: Australia

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Eurotrash » 31 May 2015, 09:35

Feels like the more we tell people how dumb their petitions are and how much nobody cares about their petitions, the more petitions they make.

Well, I'm not one for giving up: your petitions are dumb and nobody cares about them. Please stop making them, if you want to change something STOP BUYING EA'S EFFIN GAMES.
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 07 May 2014, 09:20

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Navid_A1 » 31 May 2015, 10:40

Hey phantom... long time bro :D


Just as i thought the return to underground was bad.... Now this online requirement?
at least i'm glad i skipped over the last couple of nfs releases.

EA always manages to surprise... #-o
User avatar
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
 
Posts: 229
Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 17:11

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Eurotrash » 01 Jun 2015, 14:27

Navid_A1 wrote:EA always manages to surprise... #-o


Surprise? Nobody else saw this coming? Seriously?
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 07 May 2014, 09:20

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby jayson74 » 03 Jun 2015, 17:06

If the game turns out ok, I plan to buy it quite awhile later when they release the "complete edition". Tired of being nickel and dimed by DLC.
jayson74
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 16 Aug 2006, 00:35
Location: Canada

Re: New Need for Speed Trailer

Postby Phantom_pain33 » 03 Jun 2015, 23:26

I'm just gonna wait and see what this game is all about June 15th at E3, my advise for you guys don't expect too much don't expect too less or personal expectation like this car will be there or a certain feature that personally you guys feel strongly about.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King
 
Posts: 531
Joined: 19 Jul 2012, 19:16

Previous

Return to News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest