Need for Speed PC postponed to spring 2016

Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Need for Speed PC postponed to spring 2016

Post by Bojan »

It was announced today that the PC version of Need for Speed has been postponed to 2016. The reason lies in the fact that the PC version requires an unlocked frame rate and to achieve that, the visuals need to be updated:
This decision on PC gives us the necessary development time to increase the visuals that we can deliver on PC. We will also include content updates that will have been released on console up to that time, making them available to all PC players from day one.
PS4 and Xbox One are still scheduled for November 3rd (North America) and November 5th (rest of the world).

Official announcement
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: Need for Speed PC postponed to spring 2016

Post by Overreactman »

Looks like I will own this on PC and PS4 then.
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Eurotrash »

Overreactman wrote:Looks like I will own this on PC and PS4 then.
Which is exactly what EA wants. So thanks, mate, thanks a lot.

Delaying the PC version by several months to unlock the frame rate. Of all the excuses I've heard publishers come up with this past decade, this has to be the dumbest one. Well, second dumbest, doesn't quite top Ubisoft's excuse for capping games at 30 FPS, "more cinematic".

EA is borrowing Rockstar's marketing strategy. And it's working, as the intelligent individual above me has kindly demonstrated.
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

It is not necessarily something that merrits attack on someone because they are excited about a game. I refuse to pre-order games these days, and the recent track record has Ubisoft being the worst company as they lie about graphics and features and then release broken games. Is unlocking the FPS really a sales ploy in hopes that more people will buy this game for multiple systems? I doubt that. It does show that they understood what fans wanted and were willing to give it to them. I am sure there is a good bit of complex things that are needed in the coding that allows for such a change. This is not day one DLC, it is not a massive bonus for pre-ordering the game, and it is not a season pass. This is a company making a change and a consumer that wants the game badly enough to be willing to buy it on multiple systems.
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Eurotrash »

Overreactman wrote:It is not necessarily something that merrits attack on someone because they are excited about a game. I refuse to pre-order games these days, and the recent track record has Ubisoft being the worst company as they lie about graphics and features and then release broken games.
The only difference between pre-ordering a game and buying it on launch day is that you don't get the pre-order bonus. That's literally the only difference.
Overreactman wrote: Is unlocking the FPS really a sales ploy in hopes that more people will buy this game for multiple systems? I doubt that. It does show that they understood what fans wanted and were willing to give it to them. I am sure there is a good bit of complex things that are needed in the coding that allows for such a change.
It shows how gullible you are if nothing else...

First of all, it's harder to add a framerate cap than to unlock it (or leave it unlocked, rather). And neither of them really take several freaking months to do.

Second, let's pretend for a second that they are justified in delaying the game. Even if they are, I'm willing to bet that if the console versions needed delaying while the PC version were ready for release, they wouldn't hesitate to delay the PC version too until the console version is ready.

Delaying the PC port guarantees nothing from a technical standpoint, it wouldn't be the first nor the last horrible PC port to get delayed. It does however benefit EA a lot. Not only does it increase sales (as you've kindly demonstrated, you're not the only one vouching to buy the game twice) but it also helps build hype. If anything, we should be more skeptical about the port now. More hype means more impatient fans, more impatient fans means more pre-orders, more pre-orders means the publisher has to worry less about sales. And it's been proven many times before that if a publisher doesn't have to worry too much about the sales, they are more likely to try and pull a fast one on us by releasing a low-budget port.

Just look at GTA IV. It's considered by many the worst port ever, did that cripple it's sales? In the long run, maybe, but Rockstar still made a killing at launch because many people had already bought the game by the time the world found out how bad the port is.
Overreactman wrote: This is not day one DLC, it is not a massive bonus for pre-ordering the game, and it is not a season pass. This is a company making a change and a consumer that wants the game badly enough to be willing to buy it on multiple systems.

It will have day-one DLC, rest assured. Same for season passes. As for pre-order bonus, that ship has sailed.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

It's disappointing that it's come to having to set back the date, but this has been met very positively by the PC community.

Between this decision, the overall direction of the new game and the decision to have constant free updates and content post-release (as opposed to paid-DLC) is extremely encouraging, and I give kudos to Ghost for treating the NFS community so well.

FYI, the delay is not just for the FPS cap, but overall PC optimization.
Eurotrash
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Eurotrash »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote: Between this decision, the overall direction of the new game and the decision to have constant free updates and content post-release (as opposed to paid-DLC) is extremely encouraging, and I give kudos to Ghost for treating the NFS community so well.
If this is our standard for "good treatment" no wonder publishers can't help but release crappy ports. We're asking... no, begging for it.
Dr Houbenheimer wrote: FYI, the delay is not just for the FPS cap, but overall PC optimization.
HAH keep telling yourself that.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Eurotrash wrote:
Dr Houbenheimer wrote: Between this decision, the overall direction of the new game and the decision to have constant free updates and content post-release (as opposed to paid-DLC) is extremely encouraging, and I give kudos to Ghost for treating the NFS community so well.
If this is our standard for "good treatment" no wonder publishers can't help but release crappy ports. We're asking... no, begging for it.
A crappy port would be releasing it as is, without the additional features that the community have been pining for. They're taking the time to ensure a quality release.
Eurotrash wrote:
Dr Houbenheimer wrote: FYI, the delay is not just for the FPS cap, but overall PC optimization.
HAH keep telling yourself that.
I didn't need to, Ghost Games explicitly stated it when announcing the postponement.
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

Overreactman wrote: This is not day one DLC, it is not a massive bonus for pre-ordering the game, and it is not a season pass. This is a company making a change and a consumer that wants the game badly enough to be willing to buy it on multiple systems.
Eurotrash wrote:It will have day-one DLC, rest assured. Same for season passes. As for pre-order bonus, that ship has sailed.
I know that we should not take them at their word as so many of these companies lie to us, but they have already said (in their FAQ) that there will not be any paid DLC. Instead it will be a series of free content updates. http://www.needforspeed.com/en_GB/news/nfs-faq

Return to “News”