Most realistic driving games

Video games, video games and video games! Racing games, console games, fps, rpg, The everything about video games board.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Most realistic driving games

Post by peterfaj »

I have a question.
What are the most realistic driving games to play with G25? What games would feel like actually driving a car and to learn from them?
I have two simulators installed: GTR2 and BMW M3 challenge. Are they any good with a G25 (didn't buy the wheel yet)?
Last edited by peterfaj on 16 Apr 2008, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Re: Most realistic driving games

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Hands down, no doubt about it, GT5 Prologue. Forza 2 would be good as well, not to mention the up-and-coming Race Driver: GRID. Apparently the gear-shifter on the G25 is really sloppy though, I'll believe it when I see it.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

A little older, but definitely worth a try if you can find it somewhere.

RICHARD BURNS RALLY

THE most realistic rally sim out there, super hard and absolutely impossible to play without a wheel and pedals. (avoid the console versions though, don't know myself (since I don't own a console) but I hear they are POS)
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

peterfaj wrote:I have a question.
What are the most realistic driving games to play with G25? What games would feel like actually driving a car and to learn from them?
There are no games that actually make you feel like driving a car. You miss out one major factor in games: your behind. A game doesn't give you information through your behind about the car's behaviour, you only confirm it visually and somewhat by sound.

In terms of most realistic car physics on PC... I heard good stuff about rFactor, Live For Speed, RACE07 (any SimBin game, really). Console games; Forza 2 is considered realistic, GT5 is supposed to be realistic and works very well with the G25. Some consider it to be a simulation/arcade blend. I wouldn't pay too much attention to 90% or 95% ''realistic'' though. As long as it isn't NFS style, it's good, but it isn't even close to real life racing.
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

M3 Challenge as well, it's free too.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

omg, I just checked out some videos of GT5. It looks so AWESOME! But I need a PS3. And everything's so pricey around here. :( Plus games are expensive. I was planning on buying either some upgrades for my pc (new cpu+new gfx card and everything necessary to make the new stuff fit in) or a new pc or a ps3, but now it just all seems too expensive. I'll just buy a G25.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Do you have a normal PS2 steering wheel, eg Driving Force/DF Pro? They work fine on PS3/GT5.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

No, I have no gaming console and no steering wheels. All I meant is that all I'll buy for my video game entertainment is a G25 steering wheel.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Here's a random question-can you use PS2 controllers on a PS3?

Anyway, I agree with koenigsegg that GT5 is probably the most realistic games out there, but I haven't played it... :cry:

Out of the games I have played, I'd pick-Forza 2, GT4 and the arcade prize goes to Trackmania nations!
oh snap
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

i wouldnt go after any console games at all unless they had a cockpit view, because using a "bumper" cam takes away 50% of the realisticness from the get go.

Live For Speed is currently THE BEST sim out right now. hands down. Everyone who owns a G25 pratically has this game. http://www.liveforspeed.net

rFactor is a good sim but it the physics and are shiznit compared to LFS( Tyre deformation, collisions with other cars) but the Major plus side is the mods and tracks. Because of the massive community support, rFactor has over 10 times as many tracks and 15 times as many cars, with new tracks coming out everyday and new cars every other day.
http://www.rfactorcentral.com

SimBin games are decent but suffer the same fate as rFactor. Physics just arent better than LFS, and it dosent have that good of a community support(even our own BMW M3 thread died :lol: ). GTR2 has poor collision physics(check youtube and search "crashes GTR2"). Race07 pratically is the same as GTR2 only with no GT cars and mostly touring cars "a.k.a same problems"

I would get Live For Speed. The Community is Great, Its the most realistic, its less taxing on your rig yet it can still look good.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

donaldgladden wrote:i wouldnt go after any console games at all unless they had a cockpit view, because using a "bumper" cam takes away 50% of the realisticness from the get go.

Live For Speed is currently THE BEST sim out right now. hands down. Everyone who owns a G25 pratically has this game. http://www.liveforspeed.net
I beg to differ. Yes, everyone who has a G25 may or may not have live for speed, but I don't see the worth in it. To buy an S2 license is 24 freaking pounds! I bought GT5 Prologue for that sort of money, and it has better graphics, IMO better physics, and the gearchange ACTUALLY WORKS on a G25 with that game. Oh, and you get, umm, lets see 50 more cars and more tracks. No, I'd rather take the Blu-Ray thanks.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Hello! I was just wondering if it's worth waiting for the full version of GT5 or getting the Prologue now. Mind you, I don't have a PS3 yet, and it will be a lot cheaper next year...
oh snap
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Striker94 wrote:Hello! I was just wondering if it's worth waiting for the full version of GT5 or getting the Prologue now. Mind you, I don't have a PS3 yet, and it will be a lot cheaper next year...
I don't really think it'd be wise to wait. GT5 still doesn't have a consistant release date and it's already known that it's coming out in 2009 which is a LONG wait. GT5 Prologue is going to be getting quite a few updates however, not to mention the possibility of damage, Top Gear episodes and other cool stuff. Not to mention the online may be polished off so that cars don't just randomly swerve right into you.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:
I beg to differ. Yes, everyone who has a G25 may or may not have live for speed, but I don't see the worth in it. To buy an S2 license is 24 freaking pounds! I bought GT5 Prologue for that sort of money, and it has better graphics, IMO better physics, and the gearchange ACTUALLY WORKS on a G25 with that game. Oh, and you get, umm, lets see 50 more cars and more tracks. No, I'd rather take the Blu-Ray thanks.

but he wants a "PC Simulator"

Right now your telling him to shell out 400-500 bucks plus GT5 prologue when he can just buy LFS S2 for $40 and not have to worry about his computer running it slow. And the 50 cars tracks? Did you know the community has been taking the cars and through the setups creating whole new classes without modifying the cars themselves.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Actually I think he'd be hard-pressed to find a better deal than NFS ProStreet, and we all know how shiznit that is...

But, I certainly think it's more worth it than LFS.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

GT5 is a better experience.

LFS is a more hardcore simulator.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

The physics are ok in LFS. The cars don't handle like boats like they do on ProStreet, but then again for sheer realism it's far off GT5 Prologue. Yes, the developers know what their talking about in terms of physics and cars, but to me it doesn't show. For example, no matter what car I'm in, no matter what the briefing says I can still brake full bore without lock and get a PRO rating. The Formula BMW feels to me as if I'm driving on ice come slalom time, I can't go full tilt like the briefing says you can unless I'm superhuman. I don't like it. And I fail to see how anyone in their right mind would pay AU$60 for what is essentially an extended demo.
Vimenze
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Vimenze »

no offense, but you're comparing a multi-million dollar company to a mid-company.
i myself use rFactor with my G25. It's great fun! the graphics... i don't mind. I got used to the rFactor graphics. The realism is nicer but it depends on which mod. But there are far too many mods to pick from so it's nicer for my experience. And sure you have to buy it to play it fully, but there is a trial on http://www.rfactor.net. You could always try it out before buying it.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

rFactor is a different game though...

And so what if I'm comparing multi-millions to mid-size, the fact remains that LFS is not a massive uber-awesome simulator.....
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

BTW I don't see why a Cockpit view makes it instantly more realistic.

Almost always cockpitviews block half the view, and often they block vital information, specially going uphill etc (oponents and corner indicators are blocked behind the dahsboard.

Sure in real life you are inside a car and not on the bumper, but a real inside view is completely diffirent from a incar view on a monitor.

It simply doesn't work that way.
It would only work in a full 3D system aka a real simulator.
Not on a PC/TV screen.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Yeah I race faster on bumper cam rather than cockpit simply because I can see everything much more clearly.

Return to “The Games”