Call of Duty: World at War

Video games, video games and video games! Racing games, console games, fps, rpg, The everything about video games board.
speed_man
Drift King
Drift King

Call of Duty: World at War

Post by speed_man »

A new Call of duty!! :D

"June 23, 2008 - It's not easy following a blockbuster, particularly one that sold 10 million copies in only about six months. Last year, Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare blew away gamers with its deafening intensity, gorgeous graphics, and addictive multiplayer suite. But now it's Treyarch's turn with Call of Duty: World at War, a game that marks a return for the franchise to its World War II roots. The fact that it's Treyarch and not Infinity Ward making the game, as well as the fact that you shoot an M1 Garand instead of an M-16, has stirred an intense debate amongst gamers. It's something that Mark Lamia, Treyarch's studio head, understands. "People don't want to play the same World War II game that they've played before," he told us, just before he gave us a first look at World at War. His message: Treyarch wants to redefine what to expect from a World War II shooter.

World at War will feature two campaigns. There's a Red Army campaign that happens near the end of the war, as well as a Pacific campaign that has you participating in the American island-hopping campaign against the Japanese. Pacific campaigns are fairly rare for the genre, partly because the technology to properly capture the lush jungle environments hadn't been there yet; it was far easier to simply make another bombed-out European village. Modern processors can do a jungle justice now, though. However, there's more to it than that, according to Lamia.

"It's not just about going to the Pacific as a location… we're going to the jungles, we're going to do all that stuff. But it's about the Imperial Japanese enemy, which was a radically different enemy than their European Axis counterparts," Lamia said. "Except for the occasional banzai charge, I don't really think that anyone's actually done that enemy properly."

He went on to add, "The game has also taken on a grittier, edgier tone. We've kind of taken off the gloves with this one. We're not sanitizing World War II."

That case was made in point very quickly, as the developers showed us an early mission in the game, based on the Makin Island Raid of August 1942. The mission starts with you as a prisoner-of-war in Japanese custody, and you watch as a Japanese officer tortures and executes a fellow Marine in front of you. It's quite intense, and this is just an in-game cutscene. Is it historically accurate? Treyarch's research involved talking to surviving veterans, as well as studying countless materials, like Eugene Sledge's acclaimed memoir With the Old Breed.

The Russians are coming in World at War.The gameplay also promises to be brutal and savage; the Japanese were renowned jungle fighters, able to suddenly appear out of nowhere when you least expected them. That's modeled in the game, and camouflaged Japanese soldiers can and will materialize out of the jungle just yards away from you. One way to counter this tactic will be use a flamethrower to burn and alter the environment; if you turn tall grasses to ashes they can't hide in them anymore. (Needless to say, torching a human being isn't going to be a neat and tidy thing, but you'll also discover the downside of carrying jellied gasoline on your back in combat, as well.) Then there are the enemy snipers who would tie themselves to trees and wait for days. When they struck, they usually aimed to wound a Marine, knowing that his buddy's would risk their lives to try and save him and thus offer the sniper more targets.

An interesting aspect of the level design is that Treyarch wants to give you multiple paths that offer different tactics. The example given to us was the Makin level, where the opening part of the battle takes place in an elevated fishing village over the water. You can go beneath the village and through the water, hit the beach and travel along the tree line, or stay on the elevated path above the water. At the same time, the series' trademark intensity remains just about the same. When battles erupt, there's a whole lot of stuff going on, from explosions and grenades to watching guys engage in mortal hand-to-hand combat around you.

Treyarch, like Infinity Ward, is an Activision-owned studio, and being sister development houses certainly has its benefits. For instance, Treyarch got its hands on the Modern Warfare engine two years ago, or basically a year before Call of Duty 4 even shipped. With such a lengthy development cycle, the developers have been able to focus a lot more on the gameplay, as well as enhance and improve on the Modern Warfare engine's feature set. Perhaps the most impressive new feature in World at War is the four-player cooperative mode, which lets you and three other buddies go through the single-player campaign together. It's a first for the series, and it'll support split screen on a single display or four players online. Plus, the game will scale its difficulty based on how many players, and how good they are.

The Makin Raid level.And that's just the single-player campaign. In terms of multiplayer, World at War will follow Modern Warfare's lead and feature many of the same features. After all, Modern Warfare is easily one of the most popular multiplayer games on Xbox Live and the PS3, so it would be foolish not to. That means that there's persistence, and you can create different classes using weapons and abilities that you unlock.

Lamia likes to note that Treyarch has had a very long involvement with the Call of Duty franchise. The studio made United Offensive, the expansion pack for the first Call of Duty game (it was just on PC back then), as well as Call of Duty: Big Red One, a console-only shooter in the series. And, of course, there was Call of Duty 3, a game that got generally good reviews, but was eventually overshadowed by Modern Warfare. It sounds like the company has learned from that experience, and being able to basically use the Modern Warfare engine doesn't hurt, either. If Treyarch can deliver the same level of intensity, visuals, and gameplay that Modern Warfare did, then it will certainly raise the bar for all World War II shooters to follow."
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Call of Duty: World at War

Post by Carcrazy »

Booo WWII shooter...
speed_man
Drift King
Drift King

Post by speed_man »

Yeah true they should make another Modern Warfare type game.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

WWII games are not original anymore. There is no way you can make them original. There are way too many of them out there to make it "original." If somebody made around 50 games based on Bioshock, it would lose its originality in every way. Go to the modern war with Iraq, or just make something like "<411 0f D00TY: 73H 01L \/\/4RR". Just don't make a WWII game again.

Seriously. Everyone knows about WWII now and no matter how much reality and research game developers put into it, it won't be good. People like games that have been thought up and not based on real events, or at least partly thought up. meh....
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

The idea followed in Modern Warfare was very good.

An oil war would be cool.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

It would, but Modern Warfare would just be better than that. I'm not gonna say this game is gonna suck cause it's made by Treyarch and it's WW2, but damn....it's WW2...It has a lot to live up to coming from CoD4.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

You all talk about originality but man, like a lets shoot the arabs kind of game is original.

At first the Idea of COD4 did not apeal to me because COD always was about WWII and we had plenty of shooters that let you fight terrorists in a modern time.
But COD4 proved me wrong it was a great game with a great storyline, where I really felt like I was part of the story.

So I don't write off COD5 as being a bad game just yet.
I think I might very well like the game.
Sure it got a massive task equaling COD4
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I didn't say only shooting arabs. 73H 01L \/\/4RR could be anything. You could switch sides during the story, to see both sides of it and a variety of missions. Although, some uber anti-terrorist gamers would probably get pissed of playing as a terrorist.
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

IMO,this can't equal Modern Warfare.

But *fingers crossed*.
ImJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ImJ »

It's using the same engine as Call Of Duty 4 so it could be the same ^^.
Explicit signature removed.
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

But MW was different to the others three,that's why it was so good.
speed_man
Drift King
Drift King

Post by speed_man »

Well we wont know what the game will be like untill we play it
ImJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ImJ »

Dude this game is teh b0mb! I'm in the BETA and it's pretty cool.... exact as call of duty 4 expect WWII guns, who'd ever expect thompsons and M1 Garands with ' Blue dot sights ' and ' Silencers ' : O
Explicit signature removed.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

I played the Beta and it reminds me of Call of Duty 3 with more gore and blood...

I'm not buying this, too many blockbusters coming out soon.
speed_man
Drift King
Drift King

Post by speed_man »

AWESOME GAME!!

Bought the game last week and already beat all the missions! :D
Very gory game :lol:
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

idk, I lost faith in WW2 shooters after CoD3 and Airborne. Even Hell Highway (overhyped for over 2 years) turned out to be nothing AMZINNG!!@ So yeah. I wont even bother touching this one.
korge
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

Another world war game...i'll pass.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

speed_man wrote:AWESOME GAME!!

did you try the zombie mode? i must hear how thats like.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

donaldgladden wrote:
speed_man wrote:AWESOME GAME!!

did you try the zombie mode? i must hear how thats like.
Ill take Left 4 Dead, thnx/
korge

Return to “The Games”