Are there any NFS games *without* catch-up AI (rubberband)

Video games, video games and video games! Racing games, console games, fps, rpg, The everything about video games board.
Zarniwoop
Stock
Stock

Are there any NFS games *without* catch-up AI (rubberband)

Post by Zarniwoop »

Hi there,

I've played a few NFS games over the years, and always enjoyed them up to the point where the 'catch-up' AI (also known as rubber-band AI) gets to be a nuisance.

It can be a real pain in career mode, especially on long races.

So do any of the recent NFS games for the PC have the option to turn it off for career mode? (Or not have it at all?)

The last one I played was Most Wanted, which was great fun. But then I discovered that the AI always seems to match your car spec in every race (making upgrades pointless), and can always catch up no matter how much faster you've been.

Thanks guys,

Zarniwoop
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Are there any NFS games *without* catch-up AI (rubberban

Post by ElvenAvenger »

I didn't notice rubberband AI in NFS World, but unfortunately the AI itself is not much of a challenge if you just don't crash into anything.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

Every game BEFORE NFS Underground doesn't have AI Rubberbanding.

BlackBox implemented the AI rubberbanding code since Underground 1 :x
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Yep don't think there is a recent NFS game without it, and you can only turn it of in single race mode in most games, or not at all
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

I think both SHIFTs don't have much AI Rubberbanding, or actually, none at all. If the other cars are worse than yours, they will stay behind (unless you crash on every turn, of course). If the cars are pretty much the same, you have to really be faster than them and overtake. They won't catch up like in other NFS games. If they crash, they stay behind for ever. If you are really fast, then the races are pretty solitaire. It happened to me often when I knew the track and the car well. The AI was no match, and they never caught up with me by "cheating".

But then, SHIFT 1 and SHIFT 2 are not exactly the "typical NFS game". They are more realistic, and so AI Rubberbanding would be easily noticed and SMS decided to avoid it.

The Run is where I feel the most rubberbanding, I think. It's absurd how you overtake and are overtaken by others. They seem to brake heavily when in front, but if they are behind you, magically they can be much faster and overtake you again. :|

Return to “The Games”