Rate the signature above you!

Everything that has to do with art goes into this board. Post your creations and hear what other people have to say about it!
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Rate the signature above you!

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Creativity-4 (Car sig, car forum etc.)
Apperance-5 (Looks a bit basic, but has something funny in it)
Difficulty-3

Overall-4
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Creativity: 4 (What is a bike doing in the "Hidden Garden?")
Appearance: 6(Could use some antialiasing on the bikes round wheels. Decent But I have seen better)
Difficulty: 5 (Pasted cutout of a bike on a background. Nice use of effects.)

Overall: 5 (I've seen better sigs, but it's nice. Take the bike out completely and its a better sig by far... However, I beg to ask what would be left that you created.)

I know you guys love my sig. Its verbal art. Feast your eyes.
korge
ImJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ImJ »

Creativity: -1 ( z0mfg )
Appearance: 0 ( z0mg x2 :lol: )
Difficulty: 0 ( Just text, not that hard :P )

Overall -0.333...
Explicit signature removed.
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Creativity: 8 (I haven't seen many sonic sigs anywhere)
Appearance: 6 (Would've been a seven if it weren't for the color clash of the pink/magenta with the blue C4D's used. The flow isn't very good. You see it going one way then it takes a sharp turn and goes somewhere else.)
Difficulty: 5 (It wouldn't be the easiest sig to make but not the most difficult either.)

Overall: 6.3 (Keep on improving your skills. You'll get better.) :)
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Dont rate my sig. I just had to make this statement.

The two sigs above me look like they were made by the same person. Somewhat same quality. Somewhat same style. THEREFORE, I will judge jopuma's sig, same as he did ImJ. Let's watch the reaction.

Creativity: 2 (I have seen too many anime sigs everywhere. )
Appearance: 7 (Would've been a eight if it weren't for the character's mouth agape and dead, retarded stare. )
Difficulty: 5 (It wouldn't be the easiest sig to make but not the most difficult either. Seems to me you spent quite some time on your sig art. This doesn't constitute difficulty. Brushes, layers, filters, coloring, C4D, and a anime character. Not bad. Nothing great.)

Overall: 4.6 (Keep on improving your skills. You'll get better.)

This is an obvious copy, paste, and edit of Jopuma's rating. Im sure he will gladly argue over the fact that his sig is in no way shape or form, a 4.6. Worse than what ImJ's sig was. Life lesson? Everyone here thinks they are better at photoshop than someone else. I see this all over this thread. It is a bunch of non-professional photoshop jockies tearing up on each other's sig because they pride themselves over their current sig.

Who cares? Its not even a true artform. If you make a full wallpaper, I will understand. Until then, Its a tiny art scrap that you guys obviously care too much about.

Important thing about art. It doesnt matter how much time you spend on art. Just that the audience agrees that it completely owns. And besides... Who is to say what the difficulty of anyones was? For all you know, he could have rendered sonic himself. And, I know without a shadow of a doubt, that you did not draw that anime character.

Lets try to be a bit more humble when it comes to rating these sigs, shall we? In most cases, no sig (other than mine) should get nothing below a 5 at worst.

The fact that someone can atleast crop an image CORRECTLY without skewing the image and placing text on it, atleast earns itself a 5. As for ImJs sig, I will rate it correctly from a non-Photoshop perspective.

Creativity: 7 (I have not seen a sonic sig in a long time. Well done. )
Appearance: 8 (Awesome colors tbh, and its lack of straight text is appealing to the eyes. )
Difficulty: 8 (I doubt everyone can use C4D AND Photoshop and come up with something as good as this. )

Overall: 7.6 (All around fantastic work. )

Now, notice the difference in my rating over ImJs sig and Jopuma's? After all, I did say they looked identical. Why the extremely different rating?

With ImJs, I rated with a 1 - 10 scale in mind. 7 being average. 6, obviously being epic fail. In Jopumas however, I voted on his the same way he voted on ImJs. Extremely critical and nit picky. As far as I know, NO ONE on this site is a paid working graphic designer, so in my mind, No one should be ragging on anyones (true) attempt at something good. Unfortunately it does happen, so I will end on this note. Hoping that I can talk some sense into all the graphic amateurs (including me) on this site.

Cant we all just get along? :)
korge
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Hey, my sig's been rated, but what is a C4D?
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Just to say korge your post has good points. But I get my graphics critiquing from several graphics websites. There are guys at those sites with unbelievable skill and I've seen how they rate sigs. And I've looked at the sigs they've rated. They mostly rate on an "I'm better than you basis" and don't provide any comments on what doesn't look too great what needs improving and whatnot. Normally on one of those sites a "pro" would've given ImJ a much lower rating than I did. I gave him a higher one because I know he put effort into making the signature.

I'm not certain if he made the C4D's himself or just downloaded them from somewhere so there's no definite way I can rate that exactly so I rated it on coloring and flow. Depth plays another factor. By applying the dodge, burn, blur, and sharpen tools you can achieve a great amount of depth to a signature.

All I said was he needs to watch out for flow in his signatures and make sure the colors don't clash or are monotone. It's constructive criticism.

How about we do this instead of rating 3 things then averaging? Just put what we think the sig is. Like what I wanted to really rate ImJ's sig was a 7.5/10 but the averaging method doesn't allow for that. So you guys can rate however you want but I'll be rating like that.

So a corrected version of my rating of ImJ's sig.

7.5/10 (creative signature with good text placement. not distracting and a clear focal. very minor work in colors flow and depth needed but nothing serious. using an Apply Image > Filter > Other > High Pass on 10px and the layer set to overlay can improve depth. alternatively messing around with dodge, burn, blur, and sharpen tools will be better than the other method mentioned. great sig)
Last edited by Jopuma on 23 Apr 2008, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Ok. You guys just went a bit too hard for some signature ratings. Wow. And too bad Jop's right, ImJ would have gotten a lower rating on a actual GFX site. And Jop, I don't know why you'd change your opinion just cause of what Korge said, cause if the guys at Delta-Visions or any other GFX site wouldn't have had a problem giving him a even lower rating, why should you? Just cause you're on a Need For Speed fansite's forum?
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Just FYI, I rate 1-10, 5 being average. It makes sense, 'cause it's in the middle, y'know? :|
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

S2000_Skyline12 wrote:Ok. You guys just went a bit too hard for some signature ratings. Wow. And too bad Jop's right, ImJ would have gotten a lower rating on a actual GFX site. And Jop, I don't know why you'd change your opinion just cause of what Korge said, cause if the guys at Delta-Visions or any other GFX site wouldn't have had a problem giving him a even lower rating, why should you? Just cause you're on a Need For Speed fansite's forum?
He's bitching about it so I just made him happy. Anything wrong with that? I still hold my original opinion, but if a guy is going to complain about a pretty fair rating why not humor him. I still hold to my 6.3 or so rating. I'm not changing it just because a guy thinks otherwise.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

. . . [-X

I never said you were wrong, I just never saw a reason to critique so harshly when this obviously isn't a site filled with graphic artists. I dont consider my post as a "bitching" soap box. However, I am glad you found intent to make me happy though. My genitals need cleaning btw aswell. Care to put that sharp tongue to more good use?
Jopuma wrote:Just to say korge your post has good points. But I get my graphics critiquing from several graphics websites. There are guys at those sites with unbelievable skill and I've seen how they rate sigs. And I've looked at the sigs they've rated. They mostly rate on an "I'm better than you basis" and don't provide any comments on what doesn't look too great what needs improving and whatnot. Normally on one of those sites a "pro" would've given ImJ a much lower rating than I did. I gave him a higher one because I know he put effort into making the signature.

I'm not certain if he made the C4D's himself or just downloaded them from somewhere so there's no definite way I can rate that exactly so I rated it on coloring and flow. Depth plays another factor. By applying the dodge, burn, blur, and sharpen tools you can achieve a great amount of depth to a signature.

All I said was he needs to watch out for flow in his signatures and make sure the colors don't clash or are monotone. It's constructive criticism.

How about we do this instead of rating 3 things then averaging? Just put what we think the sig is. Like what I wanted to really rate ImJ's sig was a 7.5/10 but the averaging method doesn't allow for that. So you guys can rate however you want but I'll be rating like that.

So a corrected version of my rating of ImJ's sig.

7.5/10 (creative signature with good text placement. not distracting and a clear focal. very minor work in colors flow and depth needed but nothing serious. using an Apply Image > Filter > Other > High Pass on 10px and the layer set to overlay can improve depth. alternatively messing around with dodge, burn, blur, and sharpen tools will be better than the other method mentioned. great sig)
:)

Well put and agreed.

Back to the rating. I will do my honest crit on Jops sig (as my previous one was only to illustrate an example).

8/10 (Gorgeous use of colors. Blending of whatever effect he used looks fantastic. The mixture of 3d and a 2d character look flawless and go well together. The border is new and creative aswell. One thing I personally dont like are Jopuma's fonts. >.< I dont like anime sigs but this looks good. )

Dont rate mine.
Last edited by korge on 23 Apr 2008, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
korge
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

korge if you don't want anybody to rate your sig then your vote wouldn't exactly count because the person needs to rate the sig above them. Not 2 posts before.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Creativity: 7, I've seen a lot of these characters, but at least it's got some action in it, y'know?
Appearance: 7, I don't LOVE it, but it's nice to look at.
Difficulty: 8, Looks like a C4D slapped onto a canvas with a great use of brushes. It's really nice.

I don't do overall scores, because they're not really fair. =p
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

7.5/10 - Nice blue color. Good pentool/gradient work. The outerglow effect nicely compliments the font and curve. Pretty decent signature altogether.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

8.2 - Colors blend well, looks like a lot of effort was put into sig, the 'action' around the character really compliments him, text added in a unique way, all around a great signature.
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

8.8 - I like the city, cool green graphic.
ImJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ImJ »

Creativity: 5 ( To much cars around here on sigs :P )
Appearance:4 ( Plain backdrop with some sort of brushes with outer glow an looks like some motion blur there. )
Difficulty: 2 ( TBH it's not that hard to get a car and plonk the same brush type around :P )

Overall - 3.66666.............

I Prefer using this system than the new one :P
Explicit signature removed.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Creativity: 5 (too much anime sigs too lol...)
Appearance: 6 (The anime just ruins it. Sorry, but I don't dig cartoon girls)
Difficulty: 8 (The brushes look excellent where they are. =p The sig looks well-thought out and good use or renders/brushes)
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Okay, I see Jopuma on this page 5 times, and it's not even 1/2 full... there's a 3 post per page limit!
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

I thought it was a 2 post per page limit...

And Carcrazy, if you actually read his posts, 3 of them weren't actually votes and therefore, don't count.

On with the topic @ Stereo:

8.5 - Probably the best sig I've seen you wearing. Abstract mixed in with city lights along with the contrasting designs on either side help draw a lot of attention. Text is clear and simple. Like I said before, the scanlines kind of detract from the image and the abstract designs on the far ends could be blended better, but overall an amazing sig. Well done :)
Dr.Motor
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Dr.Motor »

I like this kinda pics, they catch my eye from far. A work imo, cool and simple pic, clean design, i like it.
Creativity: 7 ( cool and simple image)
Appearance: 9 (it catch my eye from far)
Difficulty: 7 (not too hard to get imo but not too easy either :D)
Overall 7.6 - 8 :D
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Carcrazy wrote:Okay, I see Jopuma on this page 5 times, and it's not even 1/2 full... there's a 3 post per page limit!
That's for rating things you dumb@ss. It doesn't say anything about posting comments.

Brush up on your reading skills before you make yourself look stupid.
Rule: Post only THREE TIMES PER PAGE. (Not including comments, those are allowed because maybe you have to say something to the other guy)
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Jopuma wrote:
Carcrazy wrote:Okay, I see Jopuma on this page 5 times, and it's not even 1/2 full... there's a 3 post per page limit!
That's for rating things you dumb@ss. It doesn't say anything about posting comments.

Brush up on your reading skills before you make yourself look stupid.
Rule: Post only THREE TIMES PER PAGE. (Not including comments, those are allowed because maybe you have to say something to the other guy)
Ownage Successful.

Press any key to continue.
korge
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

/`````````````````````````\
I ________I_____________________
I ENTER, / ``\ \
I <------/ \---/____________________
\_________________________/ I
I

I can't get it to look right on the post but it looks fine in the editor...
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

spaces arent shown when used like that :)

Return to “Creativity Board”