The Playstation 3 Thread

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Re: The Playstation 3 Thread

Post by baumaxx1 »

It's not 1080p... it's only a playstation. Most PCs struggle at 1080, bar the high end ones.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Stereo wrote:Well I know that GRID was 1080p cause the text was crystal clear on the TV but, it's jagged and has big pixels on the monitor.
Text being clear on a TV is not a basis for a game being shown in 1080p. On my 47" LCD, EVERYTHING PS3 looks crystal clear. Except for Lair, because Lair is shiznit. And for some reason Eye Of Judgment gets LOTS of jaggies, looks like a PS2 game. Other than that, all PS3 games I have look clear as day, even though half of them are 720p max.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

I bought the PS3 Metal Gear Solid Edition with a 80GB HDD. I watch more Blu-Ray movies than playing games.

Games I have:

Metal Gear Solid
Uncharted

I need to get a good HDTV. :evil:
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

baumaxx1 wrote:It's not 1080p... it's only a playstation. Most PCs struggle at 1080, bar the high end ones.

I played CS source on a midrange pc hooked up to my hd tv (1080p) and it played fine... :? 1080p is nothing amazing. its just a tad bigger than my desktop resolution... And thats not considering pc's running crysis or Far Cry2 on 1920 LCD monitors...
korge
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

korge wrote:And thats not considering pc's running crysis or Far Cry2 on 1920 LCD monitors...
Oh were you talking about me? :P

I picked up Little Big Planet today, wonder if I'm gonna play it any time soon... :lol:
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

korge wrote:
baumaxx1 wrote:It's not 1080p... it's only a playstation. Most PCs struggle at 1080, bar the high end ones.

I played CS source on a midrange pc hooked up to my hd tv (1080p) and it played fine... :? 1080p is nothing amazing. its just a tad bigger than my desktop resolution... And thats not considering pc's running crysis or Far Cry2 on 1920 LCD monitors...
@ Korge: Specs please. My friends with 8800s or higher don't even run crysis on full at lower than 1080p (1050). The only one that can max it has a 9800GX2 1GB... but he could still probably improve some other settings. The 8800 PCs start to lag as they push it up to max settings at a res of ...x1050
Yeah, I could probably run it at 1080p on low with an 8600... but I meant it actually looking any good too. About the 1920... it's 1920x1080? or ...x1920? I've never seen a monitor go as high as the latter, and I wouldn't consider that to be the average PC.

About midrange... I'd consider my rig to be midrange... probably the lower bracket, but it runs source games on high, bar AA, and Crysis on med at 1280x1024... as high as my monitor goes.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Source games are made to run better on older hardware. So it's not even shoving your system 2 inches when you turn it up to high. I have a 8800GTS G92 and run Crysis @ high/1280 (My max) and average around 40-45FPS. but i'm sure i could get a 28-30FPS average if i went to 1650. And because of Crysis's motion blur, 28-30FPS would feel playable.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah, a friend has a 320mb 8800GTS and he manages medium-high at 1650x1050. Friends with newer cards and the extra VRAM run it on higher settings. But it's still not 1080 and it's not maxxed. Not exactly a walk in the park I meant, yep, they can beat the power of next gen consoles, but they don't embarass them.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

Ahh the dust that collects on my PS3...I don't think I will ever finish Metal Gear. :oops:
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

You bought it :wink:
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Damn you Rock Band for being so expensive..... 320 bucks all up for the game, drums and the Fender Strato guitar...
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:Damn you Rock Band for being so expensive..... 320 bucks all up for the game, drums and the Fender Strato guitar...
Look at sales: 288. But it'll last you. Good party game.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I've only managed to find it at Harvey Norman. So I ask you: What sales?
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Oh... wait. You're at Mount Gambier #-o
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

My Rock Band 2 set cost $190 plus another $50 for the symbols. Good thing my roomate payed me for it since he plays it more than I do, actually I haven't played it at all. Sooner or later I will play the heck out of my PS3. :lol:
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Guitar hero is better though, better drums, and the gear is compatible with rock band on the PS. Also, it's AU dollars we're speaking in.
Dinashan
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Dinashan »

Please advise how I can link my PS3 to the internet using a USB modem. Would I need to create a network with my laptop? :)
Speeding along minding my own business...
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Dinashan wrote:Please advise how I can link my PS3 to the internet using a USB modem. Would I need to create a network with my laptop? :)
Yeah, you need to create a network, but a router usually does it. Not sure if you can connect it to the modem via Ethernet cable... but if it's not a router, than you might have troubles.

http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic ... start=1475 you may be able to get more advice here.
Dinashan
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Dinashan »

baumaxx1 wrote:
Dinashan wrote:Please advise how I can link my PS3 to the internet using a USB modem. Would I need to create a network with my laptop? :)
Yeah, you need to create a network, but a router usually does it. Not sure if you can connect it to the modem via Ethernet cable... but if it's not a router, than you might have troubles.

http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic ... start=1475 you may be able to get more advice here.
Thanks, baumaxx1, I will give it a try.
Speeding along minding my own business...
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Woot! PS Home open beta is out. It's actually pretty fun but I'm not going to pay for anything yet. I'll wait for the first official release once they get everything straight. I also tried GT5 Prologue with a Logitech GT Driving force wheel today. It was at my dad's workplace and there was no one in the building, so he let me use their PS3. It was awsumm.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Your dad's workplace has a PS3? Where the hell does he work, and where can I apply? :lol:

Also, can we get this stickied? lol
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Carcrazy wrote:.. can we get this stickied? lol
Heh, actually I stickied it *before* I read this. Great minds n' fools eh?
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Hmm... hopefully play GTA4 tomorrow, but doubt it... @ work from 7-4:30, but get home at 5:30, and as I'm up at 6... early bedtime so I have to start getting ready at 8:30... not gonna be bothered shifting the PS3 from the plasma to my monitor... might play Guitar Hero World tour with parents, lol. Had 2 friends over and jammed, 'twas good.

But yeah, my friend borrowed Ratchet and Clank (great action packed game, nuts weapons, stunning visuals), and I got GTA4.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Carcrazy wrote:Your dad's workplace has a PS3? Where the hell does he work, and where can I apply? :lol:

Also, can we get this stickied? lol
Cisco, lol. They get to use it during lunch breaks if they want. They have Guitar Hero as well. A 40" Samsung TV, 'tis awesome.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

GT3x24x7 wrote:
Carcrazy wrote:.. can we get this stickied? lol
Heh, actually I stickied it *before* I read this. Great minds n' fools eh?
Haha, awesome. 8)

Cisco? That's sick... I take it they all probably pitched it a bit for it, or did the company buy it?

Return to “The Hardware & Software”