What monitor do you have?

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: What monitor do you have?

Post by Stereo »

That depends what 24" you get, or where you live. I got my old 24" for $300 USD. I've traded for a 24" samsung that is better quality now.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I think it depends on how much desk space you have in terms of what monitor size you get. In my case, not only would a 22 fit quite snugly, Full HD res would also look slightly better on it.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Haha, topless desks FTW... I'm not restricted. I could fit 3x 24"s side by side =-P
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Well I have a topless desk as well, but I tend to have a collection of my model cars on it. Don't know why.
maxcreigs
Stock
Stock

Post by maxcreigs »

20" LCD Flat Screen I hight reccomend if you are a gamer or graphics guru.
Movies play great as well.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

1080p 22" wides are cheap now, I'd start with those.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

meh, since my monitor is beginning to show signs of " im going to break down when you won't have money", its 3 year old , got a burnt pixel... its some 19" Belinea...dont know the model.
any recommendations of a new monitor?
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

17" Acer.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

I disagree. If I was buying a new monitor I'd get one with a 1920×1200 or 1920x1080 resolution. Probably the former, because I think it's more supported for now. Size is not that important imo, get a 22" - 24".
If I had too much money, I'd buy a 30" one. Those are very expensive, because none of them use the cheap Twisted nematic matrix that most of the other LCD monitors use.

I don't know if LED LCD screens are any good though, never seen one yet. Note that there are two types of LED backlights: white and RGB. The RGB ones can achieve a better color gamut.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

peterfaj wrote:I don't know if LED LCD screens are any good though, never seen one yet. Note that there are two types of LED backlights: white and RGB. The RGB ones can achieve a better color gamut.
RBGLED achieves an AMAZINGLY vast color gamut. WLED really only seems to be brighter than the standard-backlight LCD's. I haven't noticed a difference (in color), anyway.

When Dell replaced my laptop with the StudioXPS I ended up with a WLED 1080p LCD installed. At the time it was the only laptop on the market offering RBGLED, which is why I know anything at all about it. All I've heard about it is high, high praise, so if you get the chance, I'd buy one.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Bought that for my new setup in the bedroom. 23" LG LCD with LED backlighting Full HD monitor. I run my PS3 and laptop on it now and can even do some incredibly pointless but awesome multi-tasking.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:Image

Bought that for my new setup in the bedroom. 23" LG LCD with LED backlighting Full HD monitor. I run my PS3 and laptop on it now and can even do some incredibly pointless but awesome multi-tasking.
That's almost the same one I just bought. Except mine is 21,5".
It's a nice screen, but I don't like the big LG logo everytime I turn it on. It's very annoying.
And another minor issue is that picture looks kind of grainy (not really the best way to describe it, but I can't do better). Make your screen all completely white and look closely, you'll see what I mean. Or maybe you won't, because it's very minor. Maybe it's actually ordinary for LCD screens and I just haven't noticed it before.

Anyway, everything looks so much nicer than on my previous monitor, so much clearer.
I had a 19" Samsung Syncmaster 940N.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

peterfaj wrote: And another minor issue is that picture looks kind of grainy (not really the best way to describe it, but I can't do better). Make your screen all completely white and look closely, you'll see what I mean. Or maybe you won't, because it's very minor. Maybe it's actually ordinary for LCD screens and I just haven't noticed it before.

Anyway, everything looks so much nicer than on my previous monitor, so much clearer.
I had a 19" Samsung Syncmaster 940N.
The only real time it's had a grainy effect on it was when I was playing Resistance 2, but that's just a game effect and didn't really have anything to do with the monitor.

Everything else was incredibly clear on it.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

I agree, it's very clear. Everything looks much sharper than it looked before. This grainy thing is very minor and perhaps it was on my older screen as well, but I didn't notice it.
A bigger issue is that it throws a LG logo in your face every time you turn it on instead of displaying what your video cards tells it.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

smithsjhons wrote:I have 32 Flat Sony Monitor with TV tuner Adepter.
over 30"? What resolution is it?
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

peterfaj wrote:I agree, it's very clear. Everything looks much sharper than it looked before. This grainy thing is very minor and perhaps it was on my older screen as well, but I didn't notice it.
A bigger issue is that it throws a LG logo in your face every time you turn it on instead of displaying what your video cards tells it.
Yeah that can be kinda annoying sometimes. I just leave it in power saver mode when it's not in use though.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

That was going to be my second choice in monitor if I didn't get the LG but the LG ended up being on sale for a cheaper price than the S2409W.

I've read good reviews about the Dell though, despite it's rather featureless-looking exterior.
SP4RCO
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by SP4RCO »

HP ZR24W

if you want an IPS monitor, 24" and 16:10 its the best option so far, im very happy with it :wink:
Still rolling my eyes :roll:
jackendonald
Stock
Stock

Post by jackendonald »

24' would have the same precision can be no doubt, but since I got a great deal on this (only 399eur + shipping), there was really no reason to go bigger. The monitor I am currently using 22' CRT that not only take up much space on the table, press (28kg). In addition, the accuracy can (1600x1200) is really the least I can reasonably tolerate.
Bruin60
Stock
Stock

Post by Bruin60 »

Dell Model 3007WFP. 30" w/ built-in USB ports and memory card reader.
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

Lol, nice bump for a first post.
Oh well, might as well show off my sweet new Eizo I just got a couple of months ago.

My old piece o' poo Samsung started slowly dying on me (bad capacitors), so I had to get a new monitor.
Decided to use a bit more money and not get the cheapest stuff available and decided on this Eizo Foris FS2332-BK, with a 5 year warranty, which is nice.

It has a 23" 1920x1080 IPS-panel (a proper one, and not an "eIPS"), but still a good enough response time and low input lag to work as a gaming monitor.
I really like the simplified bulky look of it.
It even comes with a remote control :lol:

Here's a lengthy review for anyone interested..:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2 ... s2332.html
lol wut
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Remote control wtf... o.O
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

Yeah I think I mentioned this before to you on irc;
The big downside to the remote is that you can only change most options with it and not the monitor itself.
So if I were ever to lose the remote somehow, I couldn't change modes etc anymore :P.
The monitor itself only has buttons for volume, switching signals and a power button.
lol wut
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

For me I wish not for a remote, but at least a way to change monitor modes etc through the driver, instead of only being able to do it by pressing poorly labelled buttons on the front bezel. I'm constantly changing input sources on mine and it's a pain to keep reaching across the desk to cycle through them.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”