The Windows Seven Thread

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: The Windows Seven Thread

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

So far, it's worked flawlessly. All of the XP drivers for my netbook work just fine under Seven with the exception of the trackpad, though resolving that issue was as easy as installing the Vista drivers. At the moment, I have all visual themes and whatnot enabled and it's working fine. I actually just finished installing Photoshop CS. I'll be taking this to Pittsburgh, with me, tomorrow, so hopefully it won't give me any problems while I'm gone. Though - from what I've seen - I have high hopes. :)
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I have a problem: Anyone know how to run Halo 2 on Win7? I downloaded 7, installed in 10 minutes (O_O) and runs like magic...Haven't lost any files either, and it starts in 30 secs compared to 60-90 secs for Vista which I'm now dual-booting for when the RC eventually runs out. But I still have nearly a year before that happens, so for now I <3 Win7.

EDIT: Fixed the Halo 2 problem...forgot to put in the disc (doh!) but now stupid Games For Windows refuses to connect. Stupid LIVE...
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Get the latest standalone GFWL installer and that issue is fixed (missing something in distributed copies until Win 7 hits the shelves proper).

Personally running RC7100 since march and only when I filled all my HD's past 95% did it start having problems. Slowed down a bit and stuff but nothing serious. So much easier to use than any other Win OS so far. Plus installing from USB takes about 10 mins for the full Ultimate install :D
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I just got my copy of Home Premium in the mailz. Time to go upgrade. :D
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Well, after 16 HOURS of backing up my whole computer, I've finally installed Windows 7. (clean install) I love that it kept my old user files (documents, etc) so I could move them over to the new folder. My CPU load can now reach 0% and my memory doesn't hang at 2.4GB usage all the time! :D

I've installed 64-bit and thank you Microsoft for including both 32 and 64 bit versions. :)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Dude, how did you do that backup? Write it all out by hand?
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Acronis True Image Home 2009. I selected all my hard drives just for future purposes and it totaled to around 550-600GB. I think it took that long because I backed up to a network server, not a USB drive or anything. I have a 1gbit connection though...
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Fair enough. Props for taking adequate precautions anyway. ;)
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Yeah, now my HDD light won't turn off in general. A friend said it could be a hard drive on the path to fail, so taking those precautions was good. :P
hipertogbog
Stock
Stock

Post by hipertogbog »

This is a like a bar of light when the old Windows icons a bit. I tested the 6801 construction of four weeks and I must say it's better than Vista. This takes only 5% of my CPU and 600MB at idle. In some programs, opened a little over 10%.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”