Directx 11: Death of PC Gaming

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Directx 11: Death of PC Gaming

Post by korge »

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2 ... nd-gpgpu/1

Hey guys, I usually dont post here but I will today. I was scrounging around for some info on DX10 and noticed that DX11 was in the works for Windows 7. Now we all know that DX11 will be nothing more than a patch for DX10, BUT I came across a quote that disturbed me.
Microsoft is cited as claiming DirectX 11 will be important for not only PCs but console platforms as well - possibly leading the way to a uniform ground between the entire gaming race, lowering development costs but making ports between PC and consoles ever more common.
I am NO believer in the death of PC gaming and I wont restate the 20+ reasons as to why. Its quite obvious PC gaming will never die.

http://technogra.ph/20080515/sections/e ... bandwagon/
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 336,00.asp

What disturbed me the most is how Microsofts plans to unify the PC and console camp. What this will do to pc gaming will drastically reduce the number of PC only games that attempt to push boundaries in the graphics world. By forcing the PC hardware to be tied on the same tier as consoles will reduce incentive to buy better graphics cards etc.

Consoles are no doubt fancy when they hit store shelves the first year they arrive, but quickly become outdated the following year. By making "cross platform" easier for developers, we will see less and less powerful looking games for the pc and just a bunch of Console games on the PC. What will be the point of being the better system if the API for DX11 is designed to just hold PCs back?

If Microsoft really only wants DX11 to flatten the market so that consoles determine how games look, can you really expect any more boundary breaker titles like Crysis? I dont think so. One thing will lead to the other. No games that push boundries means less demand for higher end pc hardware. It will become a vicous cycle that could truly destroy the purpose of PC gaming as we know it; a better overall gaming experience.

If my worries are truthful, than it seems the only bullet in the head of pc gaming will not be competition of consoles or price of PCs, but Microsoft themselves.
korge
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Directx 11: Death of PC Gaming

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Imagine Crysis 2 it would have worse graphics than the original lol
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

DIE PC GAMING DIE DIE DIE

But if you think about it, I'm tired of having to spend money to upgrade my PC.

Then again, the epic graphics.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I've given it up. I'm still running my 7600 (which was going to be replaced at Christmas, but got the Xbox over it,) and am going to be running it, until it can no longer do what I need it to do, which is run games reasonably.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Stereo wrote:DIE PC GAMING DIE DIE DIE

You don't have to upgrade...
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/165657/a ... ature.html

Wow, great read.

Man I love my PC gaming. And to think console fan boys think PC gaming will die, when infact, we evolve while they sit around.

Xbox 360 in 2013? Please... PC gaming will have HL3 by then. This will be like the time Xbox fans were playing Socom while we were playing HL2 and Doom 3, only worse.
korge
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

It's always nice to have the both of two worlds.
My PC still can't run crysis with kewl graphics but I quit on it because of the fail story.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

The story was decent. There is only so much you can do, and besides, its just as original as anything concocted in the world of Halo. >_>
korge
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

A good Crysis PC isn't that much anymore Stereo...
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

well CryEngine2 is still the superior engine in my eyes at least I think Call of Duty MW2 is coming close though
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

baumaxx1 wrote:A good Crysis PC isn't that much anymore Stereo...
I know, Once I upgraded to my quadcore, it runs on high+very high settings at 20fps low, 60 high. ^^ (Mind you, I have a 9600GSO)
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Stereo wrote:DIE PC GAMING DIE DIE DIE

£200 every 2 years is a lot cheaper than buying a console, then having to fork out the extra £10-25 for every game you want compared to their price on PC.

Even if you OWN a console, you still need a PC to do all the things that a console can't do.

£500 PC every two years makes more financial sense than £300pc every three plus £300 console every three + paying a 33% premium on games + paying for the electricity to run both, the space they take up and a big TV so that the console gaming experience is actually worthwhile.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Well I don't know where you pulled the "33% premium on games" from. For example I just bought Left 4 Dead on PC for AU$99.95 which is the same price as most Xbox 360 games and only about $10 cheaper than PS3 games.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:Well I don't know where you pulled the "33% premium on games" from. For example I just bought Left 4 Dead on PC for AU$99.95 which is the same price as most Xbox 360 games and only about $10 cheaper than PS3 games.
Here in the UK, the average price for a PC game is £29.99. The average price for an Xbox 360 or PS3 game is around £45.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I assure you if you compare the prices of the same games, not price averages, you will either get the same price or maybe a $5-10 difference (I'm talking about US currency, no confusion >_>)

The thing is, I have a pretty decent PC and a PS3. The only thing I would like is a much better graphics card because a 9600GSO just won't pull STALKER Clear Sky without looking fugly. I've had a 15fps average but that was on a low resolution and average settings. Either the game is not optimised or my graphics card blatantly sucks. I'm thinking it isn't optimised because I could get 25-40 FPS in Crysis on High settings with a custom graphics settings mod (Triple C Pack) But the thing is that the gameplay in Crysis sucks and the gameplay in Stalker is immense. :D
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

My current rig, before my PSU failure, could run GTA IV smoother than a PS3 or 360 at twice the texture depth. And it cost me about £350 to build. Plus, I didn't need to spend a grand on a fancy TV to make it look good.

Trust me, in the UK at least, PC games are a good deal cheaper than console games.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I didn't spend a grand on a fancy TV... I got my 24" for $300 and it was a pretty epic deal considering it's a Samsung 245T.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

io dont think DX11 is going to kill the pC there is to many ppl out there that love there pC more then anything out there.
As me i build my computer once a year or every 15months at the most . cost me about 500 bucks.
the system i just build with quad core and triple sli motherboard and 260gtx card and 8g ram 750hdd cost me 560 when u up grade u can still keep ur old stuff and everything i love how i can KO the PS3 n Xbox in almost everygame they come out with.

ANd if u want it to run on a big fancy tv they all almost have vga or dvi or hdmi plugs.

I keept my old school p4, 9800ati 2g computer for over 4 years cause i just liked it
Someone
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Someone »

Console gaming is basically developing for the PC anyway. As it stands, all they do is turn down the graphics sliders for the consoles. As a result, all we do when we get it on PC is turn them right back up.

Hey presto, sexy game.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

As Someone quite accurately says, Console graphics engines and hardware are developed on PC's. Consoles (up until recent price cuts...actually...still) are getting progressively, if slowly, more expensive as they pack in more featuers and in actual fact, come closer to the price of PC's. As I've said before, it's possible to build a PC for well under £300 that will happily out-perform most consoles on just about every game you can throw at it.

£50 Mobo- Asus M2N32
£60 Processor- Socket AM2 Athlon X2 6000+
£20 RAM- 4GB DDR2 800
£20 Case
£20 optical drive
£20 HDD
£70 GPU

Average performance PC build for £260

Return to “The Hardware & Software”