Windows boots slowly

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Windows boots slowly

Post by peterfaj »

I use Windows XP SP3 (upgraded from SP2, it was same before). I had this problem on this computer as soon as I installed Windows. And I think I then reinstalled it and it was no better, but I don't really remember.
It takes 50 seconds to get to the login screen and something more than a minute (I stopped the stopwatch too early) to load all the programs (AVG Internet Security, Daemon-tools, Creative audio stuff, Logitech Setpoint, Gmail notifier, CCC and some minor stuff). It takes 35 seconds to "populate the list" of currently installed programs in Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel (CCleaner does it instantly[crossed], but that might be because it's already loaded and I'm too lazy to restart and check again[/crossed]). Firefox takes about 10 seconds to load the first time. So it looks like there's something wrong with my PC, or BIOS settings or something, but everything runs well after loaded. And Linux (Linux Mandriva 2009) only takes 20 seconds to boot and 6 seconds to load all the stuff after loging in. Not to mention it shuts down almost instantly, while windows can take from 10 seconds to eternity. Firefox takes only a second or two. On my old PC, windows actually booted a bit faster than Linux, so it has to be a software problem. Both OSes are installed on the same disc, different partitions. Windows uses NTFS, Linux ext3.

My rig is as follows:
-Asus M4A32-MVP Deluxe
-AMD Athlon X2 6000+
-Sapphire Radeon HD4850
-2GB of RAM, 800MHz
-160GB SATA hdd (not SATA-II) That's the disc where I have both OSes installed and I used the same disc in my older PC which didn't have the problem.

EDIT: CCleaner shows all the installed programs instantly even if tried before running Add or Remove Programs. This is a fine example why people say Windows is bloated.
Last edited by peterfaj on 25 Apr 2009, 19:10, edited 7 times in total.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Re: Windows boots slowly

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Seems like another case of M$'s "upgrades"....mine has this exact same problem when I install Vista SP1, and I can no longer get xfire in any game, it can't even go to sleep without crashing and self-restarting, and everything runs in slooooooo-mooooooooo...So I just downgrade, and enjoy the speed.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Ah, Vista is horrible when booting. You HAVE to make sure you keep your start-up programs list nice a tidy, and small things like that. If you do, she'll normally run pretty well for you. I would've had to reinstall XP by now due to consistent slow-downs, but surprisingly, I haven't with Vista.

Also, just to be on the save side, run some tests on your hard drive, It's unlikely, but HDD's are prone to failure, often showing few or no signs ahead of time - and let me tell you, when it goes with *all* your data on it, it can be a B*TCH.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

I already checked and defragged it not long ago.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Install Spybot S&D and check the startup items. Spybot shows entries from Winlogon which AFAIK no other program does. Winlogon is basically a hidden startup area in XP that runs everytime your computer boots (before you even get to the logon screen). Many viruses exploit this vulnerability, so that would probably be the first thing I would check. Also check what services are set to run automatically as this may also be slowing down initial boot up. Read the description of each service in Services.msc, google the service name, and find out if it's something you need. If it's unnecessary, disable it. If it's necessary, find out (using google) if you can set that service to start manually instead of automatically. Also check if your BIOS settings have the hard drive data speed limited.

In regards to the slow Add/Remove programs issue, I've had it with my Vista and XP installs and have found no alternative other than using a different uninstaller, or just dealing with it. I think it has something to do with what information the applet retrieves, since I have seen faster times if the option to show how often the program is used is disabled. But don't ask me how to do that, I don't remember.

I forgot to mention to check for upgraded Chipset drivers and HDD firmware. I would also suggest double checking to ensure that Windows isn't using the generic driver for the hard drive (can be done using Device Manager).
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Reading your first post.... erm... that seems normal. Windows is slow. Remember that u have way more processes than Linux though.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Well, but it can't work worse than on my older PC and a friend of mine has a PC with almost the same specs and it runs normally there.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

I forgot to mention, I reinstalled Windows and it now boots for about 40 seconds and after logging in the sand clock doesn't disappear for about 20 seconds.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”