Windows 8

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
okuhle94
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Windows 8

Post by okuhle94 »

Hi,

My experience with Windows 8 hasn't been a good one. I upgraded from Windows 7. After that, I started getting Black screen with mouse cursor after logging in. My PC also crashed now and then. I was getting annoyed of all of this, so I decided to refresh Windows 8 - that made the situation even worse. After refreshing, the black screen did not appear again, but my PC kept crashing every single time (It would crash like 5 - 10 minutes after log in). So, I've decided to go back to Windows 7 and wait for the Service Pack for Windows 8.

How has your windows 8 experience been?
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Windows 8

Post by Hydro_PT »

I won't even try Windows 8. I'm pleased with 7 and I don't see any reason to change from a stable and nice-looking OS to an unknown OS.
okuhle94
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by okuhle94 »

I was liking Windows 8 only because it was fast. The Metro UI is messy in my opinion, and there is no start menu. Now that I'm back on Windows 7, I won't leave it yet, maybe if they add a start menu and an option to block the metro UI, maybe I will think of going back. If not, I will just wait what Windows 9 has to offer.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

I upgraded cause it's really cheap to do it by the end of the year (like 30€ to the pro version of 8) and I did have some issues with it at first, but now I find it ok. The only thing that bothers me slightly is that it's hard to hit start on the right monitor (my main monitor) as you have to move your mouse to the edge of the screen.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Can you not move the start bar hotspot thingy to the right edge?
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Right edge is for another bar :)
Ooh, but there is a start button in that bar :o First time I noticed :)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

You're welcome.

BTW remind me again how long it took you to discover how to shutdown the computer?
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Well google knows everything. The only problem was me being to stubborn to go to google for help first :)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Ok.. but how long??
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

I'm not saying...
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

See that's the thing. The fact that you actually needed Google to find out how to shut down Windows 8 sounds to me like a total fail on Microsoft's part. Shouldn't it be their primary goal to make computers *easy* to use?

Also, consider that you are quite the expert PC user, with an IT-related job and a number of successful websites to your name. If you had trouble performing a routine task on Windows 8, imagine the problems that average Joe users are having with it, like the moms, pops and grandmas.

It's preposterous that MS have released an OS that actually makes the machine harder to use. I will be avoiding it for as long as possible.
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

GT3x24x7 wrote:BTW remind me again how long it took you to discover how to shutdown the computer?
Ooh, my roommate had the same problem. He was using his new win 8 ready laptop/notebook for the first time fiddling around with a UI. When he was done, he couldn't figure out how to shut it down so I fiddled around with it a bit more and accidentally clicked on the lower right side and found a hidden menu thingy.

Felt kinda exciting lmao!
okuhle94
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by okuhle94 »

GT3x24x7 wrote:You're welcome.

BTW remind me again how long it took you to discover how to shutdown the computer?
Haha, that took me some time to find also.

I had to manually turn on Hibernate for Windows 8. This is automatically there with Windows 7. I couldn't even find safe mode for Windows 8.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Tbh I find the whole touch interface pretty useless and am not using a single app from the set. Additionally it's not really mouse friendly.
j7n
Ricer
Ricer

Post by j7n »

The Metro™ UI was inefficient, and wasted screen space turning normal sized screen into tiny, and a modern widescreen into a regular sized one. Back to square one. Even normal UI had all controls spaced apart from one another. And it felt patronizing how Microsoft had decided what's best.

But I wonder why inefficient UI took so long to become appreciated widely on the desktop, if we have great video games, such as Need for Speed, that are either console ports or have on purpose unified interface with them. PC monitor, 4 icons displayed, a couple more buttons, but a huge car taking up the rest of the screen.

I tried Windows 2012.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”