Computer Help Thread

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Re: Computer Help Thread

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Yeah I remember that old nutshell from my Year 11 Tech days. And Red Vs Blue. But yeah considering I only use games on my lappy's 250GB I might even go down to a 160 or 120GB. Cheaper, but it still has the space that I need. Backups of everything else that I have are on two external hard drives.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Games and OS tend to take up a fair bit... I'm using 105 for OS and programs and I don't even have everything on there that I had on the PC I sold. 250 is probably worth the few extra bucks.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

The games took up barely a quarter of my hard drive space and XP is only 1.5GB.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Handy. I have Master collection, engineering programs, Vista and loads of Steam content I guess.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Well, this isn't really a "help me" post, more of a notifying post. I own a Garry's Mod server, which got hacked, and upon execution an LUA script started, which created two accounts in my windows logon. I was also being DDOS'ed, checked in wireshark. It was one hell of a day, and in the end, my DNS functionality stopped. (I could ping IP's of websites, but not their DNS names -.com,.net, etc)

I went through hell trying to fix it, I was even going to reinstall windows, finding no other choice.
And today it came to me, SYSTEM RESTORE. Thank you, glorious Microsoft, for implementing this wonderful feature. I did a little victory dance when I realized I could restore to Dec 4th (the day before all that havoc). If you have Vista, you're probably better off NOT using it because it drops like a 10GB file every time something changes. If you have XP or Win7, absolutely leave it on. You never know when you might need it, and most people don't do full HDD backups every single day, anyways.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Update on my situation; my lappy is now fixed and running normally. I did have to make an investment in one of those USB-powered cooling pads though. If I had of kept it running with its crook fan I'd be back to square one except with a crook motherboard as well. I'm now running what is basically a 160GB version of my old hard drive, with good ol' XP Pro SP3 again. When I got the hard drive it seemed like it was in the wrong pin format; it was a SATA drive while my lappy took IDE. And then after going to a couple of stores I worked out that my old 250GB had a SATA to IDE adapter fitted to it as it was a SATA drive as well. Took the adapter off, chucked it on the Samsung, and away it went.
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

Im looking for a new PC to power my new 1080p 24".

I was think of getting a quad core 11ghz cpu, 4gb ram or more computer with a top end geforce or radeon graphics card. I want to push the latest games to 1080p maybe even crysis if possible. Will I need to SLI graphics cards? Whats the best cheapest way to get most games playable at 1080p? WIll the quad core and 4gb cut it? And whats the best OS choice? Thanks guys.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

No, you don't need the best GFX card to run games at 1080p. I wouldn't go too over the top with cards, and definitely not SLI unless I have a massive budget. To get an idea... I have a GTX260 Gold. I max Shift, Far Cry 2, Bioshock, and run everything in Crysis on high, more than half the setting on very high too. A GTX 275 is probably a good value card, and I tend to spend more on the Mobo which has newer tech. After all, GFX cars are easy and cheap to replace... Mobos and CPUs are a little harder. What's your budget? About OSs, definitely get a 64 bit system, you'll appreciate the extra ram, it's speed and stability and it's the way of the future. Gives you more room for upgrades and I have no driver issues apart from the scanner which is 6 years old and low end. Windows 7 64 bit, home premium should deliver everything you need, and consider dual booting with XP 32 bit.Certain games (Oblivion, Fallout) and apps don't work properly on anything newer than XP, so I find myself using it regularly. If you do other stuff which is CPU intensive like video encoding/editing, audio editing, advanced computation, photoshop, you would appreciate the speed of an i7 and lots of RAM.

You can go with the Radeon cards if you want. I just use Nvidias. The HD4870s run quite hot and are power hungry, don't have PhysX and Nvidia is bringing 3D to games quite actively. Your choice though and it's easy to upgrade. If you have a budget... think about how long you'll have the PC, when you'll upgrade and buy a good GFX card, but don't worry about the ultimate that's insanely expensive.

What's your budget?
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

would overclocking my Q8200 from 2.33 ghz to 3.0ghz shorten its lifespan alot?
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

My room smells like ozone, my computer restarts when I plug something into the front USB and this only started happening today after moving from the downstairs bedroom in my house to the upstairs bedroom. What's going on? D:
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Sounds (and smells) like a blown capacitor somewhere in your computer (most likely motherboard or psu). Look for bulged or leaked cylinder shape thingies...
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

OK, been playing Episodes from Liberty City for some time, and i had some weird colorful dots pop up on PART of my screen. its strange as usually when my graphics card was failing they all would be pink. Could it be my 3 year old monitor? or could it be just my card overheating? or is something really wrong and im going to be left without my PC for a month again because they wont be able to find the issue?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

If it were the monitor it would show up all the time even on plain desktop use. Colored dots (while playing) is almost always either overheating gfx issue or one about to fail completely. Check for dust on gfx cooler, and other coolers on your system and make sure the fans are spinning properly.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

vellu wrote:If it were the monitor it would show up all the time even on plain desktop use. Colored dots (while playing) is almost always either overheating gfx issue or one about to fail completely. Check for dust on gfx cooler, and other coolers on your system and make sure the fans are spinning properly.
hm, set lower(medium instead of high, specifically) details and its not appearing anymore, im pretty sure it was overheating. its just a 9800GT :lol:

EDIT: yeah its fixed. nothing appeared since then.

anyway...
which AMD processor is as good as/better than Intel's Core i7?
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

alright i need help improving my graphics, i have a new windows 7 pc and i put nfs orld on and the graphics r crap. how cany i improve them? like what graphics card and cheapest easiet way to do so?
Instagram @SupraHKS
petersnith23
Stock
Stock

Post by petersnith23 »

@zotic if you are looking to improve graphics then you must buy an expensive and high-quality graphic card. Like Nvidia graphic cards they are most trusted graphic cards that are used by the graphic designer You may go for the following graphic cards.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”