Computer Help Thread

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Re: Computer Help Thread

Post by baumaxx1 »

Nah, should be more like high... I was running close to high on Crysis with a 9600GT. If you have $240... GTX260 and you'll max everything but crysis, lol.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I was looking at benchmarks for the GTX275 and that seems like the card to go with. Runs Crysis Warhead on max, 1920x1200 @ 32fps.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Okay, so since I've had the GTX260 in, my restart problems have gotten worse. I can't deal with it anymore, this God forsaken board has to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131319

I know what someone's going to say, "Why spend that much when you can get the same performance out of a $150 board?"

Tbh, I don't mind spending the money... the board has the features I want, will get my CPU to the clocks I want more than likely, and it looks good. I just don't want to end up with another total Epic Fail that was the Abit AW9D-MAX.

So, running a C2Q Q6600 G0 at (hopefully up to) 4Ghz, not 24/7
Able to handle 8+GB of High-speed DDR2
On-board RAID Controller
Preferably Dual-Gigabit Ethernet
SLI Not Necessary

etc etc, any ideas for other boards? I'm looking to get this pretty soon, so do y'all think it should be a go with this, or is there some massive error I should know about that I might've overlooked? (Such as all-too-common memory issues or poor quad-core support from an X975 chipset?) >.>

Anyway, Thanks for the help! =P

--EDIT--
Oh yeah, black PCB and epic cooling, if possible, as it will be used for overclocking.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah, back when I was buying the GTX 275 was like mid to high 300s... So I got a GTX 260 for $260 and an i7 instead, because that was more important than the part that is most likely to be swapped. Plus I do a lot of CPU intensive stuff. the 260 will still max Far Cry 2
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Carcrazy wrote:any ideas for other boards? I'm looking to get this pretty soon, so do y'all think it should be a go with this, or is there some massive error I should know about that I might've overlooked? (Such as all-too-common memory issues or poor quad-core support from an X975 chipset?) >.>

Anyway, Thanks for the help! =P

--EDIT--
Oh yeah, black PCB and epic cooling, if possible, as it will be used for overclocking.
It's not black and not really pretty, but the only board for quads.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=229913
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=205132
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... p45%20ud3p
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Ooooh, the stories of what that board has done with quads. =P

It's an insane board, but I still think the Maximus II could match it...

Plus, I have to be honest, I, for some reason, feel that board as a downgrade from my Abit. Why? I don't know. Why I spent $200 on the POS Abit, I also don't know.

Still though, that board is insane.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

You'll do pretty well with a Gigabyte... nice and reliable.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I actually wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see my college computer powered by a Gigabyte, but at the moment, the board doesn't have all that I'm looking for. If it was powered by a 750 or a 780i chipset, I could overlook this. Simple things like a Clear CMOS button over a pin, which would've been INCREDIBLY useful with this motherboard, are important to me. Not only that, but the Gigabyte has integrated sound, which after using the riser card that came with my Abit, while being mediocre quality, I don't think I could go back.

Over that, integrated power and reset buttons proved very useful with this rig, especially with out-of-case testing or pre-build configuring.

I'm not really looking to get 5Ghz out of my Q6600, (which believe me, if you wanted to, that Gigabyte is the board to do it on,) but I am looking for user-friendly reliable features, which I feel the ASUS provides more of what I'm looking for.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

I understand what you mean Carcrazy.. The EP45-UD3 is for real men only. :mrgreen:

The ASUS is a great looking board, but I find it a little too expensive for the extras I don't really need. The buttons on my DFI board were useful, but now I just use a flathead screwdriver to bridge the 2 pins and it'll power right up.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

PSZeTa wrote:but now I just use a flathead screwdriver to bridge the 2 pins and it'll power right up.
O.o
That's genius. :lol:

And real men, yeah, sure... just wait, I'll pull the numbers.
(Seeing how I got over 11k in 3DMark Vantage on a 975X chipset.) =P

Thanks for the help guys, I'll get back to ya' on how it goes. :P

--EDIT--
Also, I would totally get the Gigabyte if I had a true-bred overclocker of a Q66. While it's done amazingly well, and is a G0, has decent temps and doesn't hog power like some I've seen, it still has a high VID. It's from a batch of 3.25's, despite the chip's overall rating of 3.5v. If I had something more in the 2.9 range, and thought I could really pull some speeds out of it, I'd probably reconsider the Gigabyte, but as it is, I feel the chip will be the limiting factor of the OC, and not the motherboard. Granted, it's a different case now because I foolishly purchased a board without doing my homework and got one with HORRIBLE quad support, but I have faith in Asus. (Way more than Abit, at least.)
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Carcrazy wrote: it still has a high VID. It's from a batch of 3.25's, despite the chip's overall rating of 3.5v.
???

That's not your VID.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

1.325. >.<

Hoooly crap if it had 3v running through it. :lol:
My bad... >_>
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

My TV tuner card isn't being picked up again =-S I'll have to take it out and put it back in... or just unplug it. but why is this happening?!?!?

BTW... the PC is 2 months old, the TV card is 3 years old. Mobo is a Gigabyte EX58 UD3R

edit: I switched the PSU off for half an hour and it works... I need to cut power to it for some reason.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

bump: new retarded issue. They seem to attract me.

Hey,

I have a bit of an issue with my netbook. It's an Asus Eee PC 1000HA, 3 months old, and firstly, the audio drivers somehow got uninstalled by itself when it was off over a few days, but it found them again and it worked but the HD audio system tray icon wasn't coming up automatically. Still, I had no audio problems. Last Friday I had it hooked up to my hifi and it was working perfectly.

However, today (monday), I boot it up again at uni and go to play some songs because I was pretty bored, and it was producing a heavily distorted sound, there was some weird metallic swishing distortion, the vocals were inaudible, and this was the case with multiple speakers and headphones, and even the inbuilt speakers on the netbook.

So yeah, what are some things I can try to find out what's wrong or fix it short of completely wiping windows or shipping it away for a few months (GRRRRRRRR!)?

It's pretty pathetic what's happening. I've never dropped it, babied it. And if it is hardware I want my warranty back because I'll be without it for some time -.-
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Have you tried a system restore to a week or so ago? Two of my direct family members both have Asus Eee's and haven't had any sort of hardware-related issues, and while I'm not trying to say it's certainly not the soundcard, corrupted drivers could cause heavy distortion and malfunctioning.

I'd try that first, then proceed on if it still isn't corrected. =P
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Mhm... how do I stop corruption?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Other than doing a system restore as I mentioned, the only other thing I could think of is to completely remove the old drivers then reinstall.

(Meaning delete the drivers currently on the computer, uninstall the device in the device manager, restart and download new proper drivers from the manufacture's website.)

Someone else might be able to help more, though. =P
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Try to start the software bundled with the drivers and see if it isn't set to some weird audio setting to simulate surroundings.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah, i got around to doing the re-install of the drivers today and it's fine now... I actually had to fully wipe them and get the new ones from asus rather than disable and re-enable, lol.But yeah... considering that they just corrupt themselves between the laptop being used is a bit of an issue... is it bad luck? or a problem I should look into?
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Well I've had my fair share of things corrupting on me for no real apparent reason. Like Ep 13x03 of Top Gear UK. I watched it once and then kept it in the folder I downloaded it to. Went to watch it again, corrupted.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Amazingly my music hasn't corrupted with all of this moving thousands of songs at a time bull-crap. I guess I'm just lucky. =P

But nah, it's an all-too-common thing that we just have to deal with. If it keeps up you may want to reinstall the OS sometime when there's no school, either before the year starts or after it ends, if you're in session now.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Hmm... might think about backing up my music collection now that I have an external. But is corruption less likely on non-system drives used just to store data?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

baumaxx1 wrote:Hmm... might think about backing up my music collection now that I have an external. But is corruption less likely on non-system drives used just to store data?
Depends on the root cause of the problem. Generally speaking corruption should not occur at all on a healthy system. Usual causes are failing drives themselves or ram problems (which however exhibit other instability problems aswell). A more serious problem (albeit a rare one) would be a failing motherboard. Or viruses/malware.

As far as drive longevity goes (MTBF = mean time between failures), I suppose a data drive should last longer than a system drive which is under a constant load. A good reason too to invest on a smaller, but higher quality hdd as a system drive.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Yeah I backed up all of my videos, documents and music onto my 500GB portable hard drive and kept a copy of my music, my frequently used games (Halo PC, CoD4) and programs on my lappy's hard drive. Ran fine ever since.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah... I'm actually thinking of doing a RAID 2x 640GB system drive config when I'm ready for Win 7 and a massive Data drive, lol.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”