Have you noticed something about us, the members of this sit

Everything related to the website services Showroom and Showroom Challenge.
ccrst92
Ricer
Ricer

Have you noticed something about us, the members of this sit

Post by ccrst92 »

Lately, there has been a dangerous trend in this online community: that of voting the person, not the car itself.

Nowadays, if a noob posts a new car, it just stays like when it was uploaded: no rates, no votes. But if a veteran (vet) does the same thing, then everyone goes like "OMG, gotta say <<awesome, great vinyls>> and rate it ten even if it is not really that good. Other people (noobs) that have nice cars don't get nothing, even after a (won) duel. And in duels it gets worse: a noob vs a vet is almost always gonna end with a veteran victory.

Now my true question: is this fair or I'm just complaining over an imaginary problem I have with my cars being somewhat ugly for my fellow tuners?
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Have you noticed something about us, the members of this sit

Post by YaelDjiel »

i cant speak for others (obviously :P ) but i speak my mind with neutral view to everyone's car, either "noob" or "vet"

surely there are others who do not and only vote 10+fav so others will hopefully do the same to them

of course, this is not the right way to do it... but i (or anyone else) cant tell them to do it differently
ccrst92
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ccrst92 »

I wastn't asking for punishment to the ones that do what I described before, I am just hoping that people that see this "mend their wicked ways" and "get real", get the constructive criticism back and stop discriminating noobs (thus rating and commenting their creations). Again, I'm not about throwing bans here and there, because that is a bad thing to do, but I wish the cars are rated/voted as what they are, not because of the creator. I simply want a change of mentality, something that doesn't mean a lot of work for the admins. I just hope that many people read this.
amda1
Drift King
Drift King

Post by amda1 »

yeh I know where you're coming from. So sometimes I sort the showroom by ascending reputation and comment some of those cars, I find some real gems :D so you are right, the quality is not an issue. I only mainly check U2 showrooms and friend cars, and so unless U2 car, I will not have seen it. But post links and I will rate a few 8)

But not much will change, it's a case of accepting it and moving on.
TS-X
Drift King
Drift King

Post by TS-X »

oh i think i have something to say in here. First of all, those noobs you re mentioning are the ones that are saying OMFG WOW 10+FAV when vets upload car. Then again, vets vote low rates on everything, both noob and vet cars, because vets know what 9-awesome means, and that 7 means GOOD! and if vet feel that one noob car is nothing more but average copy of all the other cars and rate it with 6... it means its average, nothing new on it. There are also noobs that do great cars, but doing 2 or 3 exelent cars in a row doesnt realy make them noobs. They become vets in no time... like our belowed fellow [SR] Evil_Weasel
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah, I'm struggling to get views ATM... even though I duel and upload and rate plenty. My car's aren't average too. It annoys me. Anyone wanna help?
I find that happens a lot with popular users. I make a nice, clean, well thought out car that's different, no one cares, a vet makes something that had the idea, but ended up messy and they have a 5 star rep and 10 rating... Even when they admit it's not their best and they thought the other guy would win the duel.

MAybe if there was some sort of event for low rep cars... to gain exposure.

*mod note*
Don't double post.
And there's a thread for posting showroom links here:
http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7988

Do many people visit that thread though? And I don't think I double posted... Or is it one post per thread?
Last edited by baumaxx1 on 11 Sep 2007, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

This is not a new "problem" by any means. Atleast from the days of SR2 things started going towards populism. That is a lot of people starting competing for top ratings (rep didn't exist back then) and did pretty much everything to manipulate the rating system for their favor (multi-accounts/self-voting, creating "teams" for in-team automatic high votes, etc).

The system has improved from those days, since it is no longer possible to hold the top position on the various list for a long time since the lists renew daily.

As far as votes and comments going to "vets" there isn't much that can be done about that; people tend to vote/comment card from people they know. It is hard to get attention for new community members since no one knows to go look in their garages. As to how this could be fixed I can't think of a good way.

Creating some kind of a noob entries list won't work very well, since it could be hard to decide how long a particular account is consider noob. The random entry view somewhere on the side panel has been suggested and might help a bit to bring unknowns to view. But the bottom line is, it takes time to gather enough "fame" in the community the get regular guests or "friends" that well get things rolling on your entries.

There is a forum topic for posting messages on new entries, but be sure to be polite about that and not over advertise yourself; it can backfire.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

vellu wrote:It is hard to get attention for new community members since no one knows to go look in their garages. As to how this could be fixed I can't think of a good way.
Yeah, I've been trying to help those with low rep out too... They should have a low rep bar, like for top or new or fav. Which is random. Something to give people exposure.
TS-X
Drift King
Drift King

Post by TS-X »

Dude...dont bother with commenting particular rides only... dont bother commenting vets entries and add the well known phrase: hey, check my garage sometime. Dont bother uploading every day 5 cars... it will only do you worse... what can u bother about is doing really good car... check what those vets are doing, gather some ideas and than spend some real time doing your first perfect car. Also, browsing google/images for some real tuned car models of car you re doing! it can give you some ideas. Once you do car that is good, that stands out of all those other noob cars you will get noticed... and when you see someone realy likes it... like jaw droping likes it, ask him to do press for you if u dont know how to do your own. Delete all your other cars... and once they see that you re new, you did smashing car at once out of nowhere, and its your ˝first˝ ride on the site... vets will want to see some more of your stuff and will add you to their firends list... later on, just do junk cars and you will be respected as vet...
Imo fastest trip to the stars! :wink:
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Oddly enough, TS-X's advice is pretty good.

Fastest way to nowhere is to upload tons of mediocre work. NO ONE will bother to go through your garage if there are too many cars in there, even if one or two them are really really good.

And true looking at real life tuners/exotics/whatnot will help you to develop your own design skills, not to mention works from other people in the community.

And the ugly truth unfortunately is: if your hardware isn't capable of producing high-res/high-quality images, it rarely matters how good your actual design is. If that is the case, ask someone to make the required screen captures and maybe even presentations for you. There a topics in the forum for just that purpose (separate topics for each game, I think).
Tyrant
Professional
Professional

Post by Tyrant »

I totally agree.. When you make cars, be critical to yourself. Think when you upload the car: this car must get 10's and favs like no other, and be in the tops of the ranks. Not: I'll upload this car and see how it does, I don't like it that much, but whatever. Also, 1 pic per car is enough. Don't upload 6 entries of your car with 6 different views.. No one will bother checking them all.

Also what TS-X and vellu mentioned, check other cars... I've seen thousand NFS cars on this site, seen Forza 2 designs, and checked reallife tuners. It will help you a lot, also with decals and brands.

So just keep your +/- 10 BEST cars on the web.
ccrst92
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ccrst92 »

Ain't posting tribute cars good for overall rep? I say this because u may stumble upon fans of that person/thing and then the fireworks let loose.

PS: My hardware IS capable of doing good pics because of recent and subtle upgrades.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

ccrst92 wrote:Ain't posting tribute cars good for overall rep? I say this because u may stumble upon fans of that person/thing and then the fireworks let loose.
Sometimes, depends on the topic of tribute and how well it's achieved.

I personally prefer personality and uniqueness over replicating or repeating an exiting theme. Shows a bit more of the creativeness of the individual who came up with the car (or situation capture or presentation work). But when well executed there is nothing wrong with a tribute work. And if it happens to be on a subject that is generally very popular it tends to get more notice.
ccrst92
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ccrst92 »

But sometimes people do movie cars over and over and over and over again. OK, you seen the movie, try to to something that could have been in it, not something that almost everyone has seen. Plus, you ruin the surprise (partly) for the people that haven't seen the movie.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

ccrst92 wrote:But sometimes people do movie cars over and over and over and over again.
Very true. God knows how many F&F (any film) replicas are in the showroom(s). Far too many. Though I can understand when a new user does replicas that've been done before: the amount of cars uploaded in to the various showrooms is way beyond anyones browsing capablities so there really is no way for new user to really know what's been done (too much) before.

Good rule of thumb: If you can't come up with something original, take a second thought on whether you should upload something un-original at all.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

... what can u bother about is doing really good car... check what those vets are doing, gather some ideas and than spend some real time doing your first perfect car. Also, browsing google/images for some real tuned car models of car you re doing! it can give you some ideas.
A lot of my cars draw cues from different rides I've seen im mags, and at car shows. I am an enthusiast BTW, using Carbon to get creative as I don't have my own car... yet. There are cars that I'd delete though... (Have to do another monaro)
And the ugly truth unfortunately is: if your hardware isn't capable of producing high-res/high-quality images, it rarely matters how good your actual design is.
I'm running on full graphics. Can't get much better.
When you make cars, be critical to yourself.
Yep... every little detail.

Return to “The Showroom”