Leaderboards General Discussion

The official Need for Speed Carbon Leaderboards forum for suggestions, discussions, competitions and more.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Leaderboards General Discussion

Post by GT3x24x7 »

This topic is for general discussion relating to the NFSUnlimited Leaderboards. Go to it! :D
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

allright:

Sometimes I just don't know how some racers can get those extreme results, like 11 seconds better then me on a 2 minute lap...

or in a speedtrap: i did 2219 kmh (placing me second :D ), but the number 1 reached 2400 kmh....i mean: 200 kmh faster :? ?? while i'm second :? ?? racing with the same car :? ?? i dont get it. I started thinking about the word 'cheating'...... :roll:
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

couple of words for you:
-(proper)tuning
-speedbreaker (for some users)
and most importantly: crapload of practice :lol:

as for the 1:49 time on beachfront.. im not too sure about that one myself but 1:52 is surely possible :)

as for the speedtraps (atleast some), there have been some lame reversing attempts.. cant really do anything about that :/
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

A lot of people underestimate the advantages of choosing the proper performance parts. It really makes a difference in Carbon.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Regarding speedtrap, take a look at a couple of the leading shadows. One trick used is to reverse up a long way before each trap and get the maximum speed possible for that trap. This can be done because there is no time limit when there are no AI cars in the race. IMO this isn't a particularly skillful way to get results, but you can't exactly call it cheating either.

For race times, many of the best times have employed the use of speedbreaker to navigate the tighter turns, which is available in most offline quick races. Again, not my idea of skill or reality, but it works (for some - I can't do it to save myself) and it's in the game.

As Prince says, performance tuning really does make a huge difference to any car.

Finally, the old adage is true as ever: Practice makes perfect. Good luck! :)
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

YaelDjiel wrote:couple of words for you:
-(proper)tuning
-speedbreaker (for some users)
and most importantly: crapload of practice :lol:

as for the 1:49 time on beachfront.. im not too sure about that one myself but 1:52 is surely possible :)
i agree with proper tuning, but: the number 1 (of a circuit) and me were racing the Audi, which you can't tune :wink:

and speedbreaker: does it really help?? i mean, if you steer very hard through a corner with speedbreaker on, you loose a LOT of speed. I doubt if it's any better then just brake very late and steer without speedbreaker.

and practice indeed makes perfect.....but practicing to get 11 seconds faster?? i'd have to practice for ages..... :lol:
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

A lot of those times are run with the Corvette, which is way faster than the Audi, and can be tuned. There are various other cars that are also (overall) faster than Audi, depending on the track.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

It takes skill to use speedbreaker in a way so that the exit speed remains high, and don't y0000 forget it!
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

GT3x24x7 wrote:A lot of those times are run with the Corvette, which is way faster than the Audi, and can be tuned. There are various other cars that are also (overall) faster than Audi, depending on the track.
of course, but there's almost no other car that handles as good as the Audi. And it does have a fairly good acceleration. The corvette is indeed faster, but it doesn't steer as well as the audi.
STAT-X
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by STAT-X »

On long high-end strait tracks, you pretty much don't stand a chance against the corvette or audi, but on the short bendy tracks you actually do.
And there are a lot of cars that handle way better then the audi, but they often lack the acceleration or top speed. That's where tuning comes in.
Also choosing the right car for the right track helps big-time. (Unless that car gets banned :wink: )

And don't forget about shortcuts. You have to figure out which ones actually gives you an advantage and which ones just slow you down more.
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EcksOa »

RVD wrote:i agree with proper tuning, but: the number 1 (of a circuit) and me were racing the Audi, which you can't tune :wink:
All those things do make a difference. And NFS is one of those games where you can have an okay driver beat a better driver just by car and tuning choices. But a significant factor in the game is knowing the courses, knowing how to control your car, and good lines.

But there's no minimizing the importance of knowing the tracks, knowing what lines and what shortcuts will get you the fastest times. Knowing the ideal lines, knowing where you need to brake, where you don't, how early, how late, what the ideal entry speeds are, what corners you can stay on the throttle, which ones you should lay off... all those shave seconds off your time on any course.

An RX8 should be like a turtle in comparison to a 240 SX in a strictly tier one Canyon Sprint. One car is clearly greater than the other by far. But a driver in an RX8 that knows the course well can beat a 240 SX driver that hits walls, or is too reluctant and brakes too much, or doesn't know what corners he can keep the throttle open.

I know that's the biggest factor that makes my runs on Circuits and many sprints so slow. There are a lot of courses I don't practice much, so my lines, my braking points, etc, are pretty lousy at places like Beachfront Circuit.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

RVD wrote:.. there's almost no other car that handles as good as the Audi.
In my opinion, the Audi is quite sloppy. Have you tried the BMW, Lancer or CCX? How does the handling compare? I'll tell you, it craps all over the Audi.

I regularly beat both Audis and Corvettes with the Lancer and BMW online, and the Koenigsegg and even Murcielago can outrun anything at certain tracks. Experiment!
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

GT3x24x7 wrote:Have you tried the BMW, Lancer or CCX? How does the handling compare? I'll tell you, it craps all over the Audi.
yes, but the BMW feels as if its powered by a lawn-mower engine.... :lol:
The lancer steers very good as well, but it also feels underpowered...
CCX: well, i've got the stock Carbon version..... :cry:

I made a sort of contest between the lancer, BMW and my Carrera GT. Although in the corners the GT is well behind, the other two just dont have the power to keep up with the GT. And the GT isn't the best car out there, so...
maybe it's just my way of driving, but i don't think i'd ever race with the BMW or the lancer.

With handling i meant the overall handling: so acceleration, steering, top speed... That's what i meant, i should've said that. The audi is good on every point. Yes, the corvette outruns it and yes the lancer steers way better, but the Vette doesn't steer quite well, and the lancer is underpowered.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Hmm well you're certainly entitled to your own opinions, and to draw your own conclusions. :D
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

i'm sorry, i'll give my opinion less next time :)
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EcksOa »

With the Corolla situation resolved by EA, I guess offering it as PULC is their way of fixing certain issues, I decided to try a few runs with the Corolla on a few random canyon courses. (My take is that the Porsche RS was a screw up on their part. Probably the same with a few parts. The Corolla, G35 and a few other cars, were probably always meant to be offered only as PULC. The AE86 never actually got put on any official car lists nor was it ever promised by EA before the game's release.)

Anyhow, I had my doubts when GT mentioned that the Corolla was supposed to be really good on canyon courses. My issue with the car was the extreme lack of speed. However, when you learn the car, it's shocking how well it turns. On many turns, you don't need to brake or can apply very little braking. I think it's largely part of the lack of speed. Slower entry speed means less fine tune braking to get the proper speed and entry into each corner. I think the VW R32's lack of speed compared to other tier 2 cars puts it in the same category.

Anyhow, uploaded a shadow I did after three runs on Devil's Creek. Surprised at how fun the car is to run on certain courses.

I found myself having to drive a bit more seriously with the RX7 to beat my Corolla time on Copper Ridge. I was surprised at how decent a time it runs on Lofty Heights with zero Nos or Speedbreaker. I still think the R32 edges it out. And all around, if I add NOS to the mix, I don't know that the Corolla really beats out the RX7 or R32. But it is fun and it is a lot faster on canyons that I thought it would be. Deceptively quick.
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 93360 »

hmm ok thats what i always thought about the ae86 in carbon: slow top speed but turns pretty good. didnt use it too much coz of the lack of top speed and you couldn't performance tune it.
Phantasmagoria
Ricer
Ricer

Re: Leaderboards General Discussion

Post by Phantasmagoria »

Some guy on the Leaderboard... Forgot his username got like 6,000,000+ on Main Street - Drift...

How the feck did he do that?!
It must have been like 3,000,000 a lap :shock:
I don't get how lol!
"And somewhere in space the dead are smiling"
maniksdi
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re:

Post by maniksdi »

RVD wrote:allright:

Sometimes I just don't know how some racers can get those extreme results, like 11 seconds better then me on a 2 minute lap...

or in a speedtrap: i did 2219 kmh (placing me second :D ), but the number 1 reached 2400 kmh....i mean: 200 kmh faster :? ?? while i'm second :? ?? racing with the same car :? ?? i dont get it. I started thinking about the word 'cheating'...... :roll:
well . . those three points are pretty much everything . . but I'll have to add one more:

- Turn off blur motion and high visual treatments . . they blur the tracks and makes it hard to concentrate or get a clear look at the corners

11 seconds is a lot m8 . . do you watch formula 1? . . . in qualifying rounds the fastest lap stays ahead by 0.002 seconds . . and sometimes you can actually see some1 getting a second place by squeezing into only 0.001 second from it . . . . . . to beat the records, you need to drive like a robot! . . sometimes perfect is not good enough

and yes . . car settings are very important . . I have 5 Z06 and 3 Viper SRTs, each for different tracks for keeping my speed trap records . .
z06 is fast!(you can transfer the power to acceleration) and easier to control
SRT has high acceleration(which you can use to transfer into speed) but tough to control
use the right combination for the right lengths and corners of the track . . helps a lot
diablo9
Stock
Stock

Post by diablo9 »

on Blackwell road I can do 2:40. I can be faster than GT3X24X7 on first half but I am horrible at cornering so I lose after the uphill section. But VG_speed is 14 seconds faster than me??? There must be a basic technique that I missed. Otherwise it's just impossible to have a 14 seconds gap... speedbreaker? I never tried it but from now on I will start practicing. What else? I just don't understand... help!!! #-o
diablo9
Stock
Stock

Post by diablo9 »

oh, any one more points to add, turn the world detail to low, that makes some roadside trashes disppear, which makes some cornering easier. Happy racing!
:D
Gre
Stock
Stock

Post by Gre »

No speed breaker on any of my times just thought i would say that :) and they are old shawdows as well that could possibly be faster
PlayaBusy
Stock
Stock

Re:

Post by PlayaBusy »

GT3x24x7 wrote:Regarding speedtrap, take a look at a couple of the leading shadows. One trick used is to reverse up a long way before each trap and get the maximum speed possible for that trap. This can be done because there is no time limit when there are no AI cars in the race. IMO this isn't a particularly skillful way to get results, but you can't exactly call it cheating either.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA NOOBS NOOBS NOOBS. UNFAIR UNFAIR UNFAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can u be proud of your results???? Ya guys got no honor!!! [-X

For race times, many of the best times have employed the use of speedbreaker to navigate the tighter turns, which is available in most offline quick races. Again, not my idea of skill or reality, but it works (for some - I can't do it to save myself) and it's in the game.

As Prince says, performance tuning really does make a huge difference to any car.

Finally, the old adage is true as ever: Practice makes perfect. Good luck! :)

Return to “Leaderboards”