Upgrading of the phpBB forum script

Post everything you want the webmasters to know to make the site better.
Jacky
Ricer
Ricer

Upgrading of the phpBB forum script

Post by Jacky »

On 21 May 2007, phpBB 3 Release Candidate 1 (RC1) was released.

For those who don't know what phpBB is, it's the script responsible for running this forum.

I don't know if the forum is heavily modified or not, but I would like to ask if there is any chance that NFSUnlimited will be upgrading to it.

Of course, it's too early to say anything now. It's just the first release candidate, and a few more RCs are coming before the official release.

The new phpBB 3 offers much more without any modifications done to it, such as post-reporting functions, friends/foes list (buddy and ignore list), BCC options when sending a PM, global announcement (it's an announcement displayed on all forums), sub-forums (this is probably the best thing they added), attachment function (what you see here is actually added through a modification), more signature options (ability to display flash objects), custom BBCode (you can make custom BBCode in ACP), and much more.

Some sites are already running it. The official site at phpBB.com has already upgraded, and you can take a nice look at how it displays forums and posts. Really neat and nice.

There isn't an option to prevent outside links for images in signatures by default, but that's nothing that a custom modification can't fix.

Bojan might want to look at this. ;)

It should take a while before NFSUnlimited should actually upgrade to the new version. Right now it's not the official release, everything is not finalised yet. And we should wait for a few weeks after its official release for it to be stable, since we have a large community using the forums.
Last edited by Jacky on 08 Jun 2007, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Jacky
Driv2Slow
Professional
Professional

Post by Driv2Slow »

You advertising this stuff? I'm sure Bojan would get it if he finds if neccesary...
Driv2Slow
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

We're upgrading to phpbb3 as soon as there's a stable release out.
Jacky
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Jacky »

Driv2Slow wrote:You advertising this stuff? I'm sure Bojan would get it if he finds if neccesary...
I can do better than this if I wanted to advertise. ;)
Bojan wrote:We're upgrading to phpbb3 as soon as there's a stable release out.
Can't wait for it to happen! It looks really addictive. ;)

Oh yea, by the way, the way it uses styles is different now. If you want to edit the default style you have to do it through the CSS.

The current style here looks really nice. You might want to get it ready before its stable release. :D
Jacky
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

We've had a dev board up for quite a while, but I haven't really gotten into the style changes yet. I'm sure it'll be easy enough to just add the top header image ;)

http://dev.nfsunlimited.eu/phpBB3/
Jacky
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Jacky »

Bojan wrote:We've had a dev board up for quite a while, but I haven't really gotten into the style changes yet. I'm sure it'll be easy enough to just add the top header image ;)

http://dev.nfsunlimited.eu/phpBB3/
What I like about the current style here is the light blue colour for the words ("NFSUnlimited.net Forum Index", for example), and the Tahoma font.

I like subSilver2 more, prosilver looks really awful, especially the font. I tried editing the font in subSilver2. Looks really great when you switch to Tahoma. ;)

Oh yea, they changed the smilies too. Now the new wink looks good, but still can't compare to phpBB 2's one. ;) <-
Jacky

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”