Bash-all-you-want Music

The lightly moderated completely off topic board with where the usual posting restrictions do not apply. Forum games welcome. There's a catch though: your post count will not increase.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Bash-all-you-want Music

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

Another Can of Spam game.

Basically I say a band. I and everybody else keeps bashing it and others, defending it. Once the debate has been pretty much ended, somebody mentions a different band. We bash and defend... the spam way, of course.

I'll start: The Beatles.

These guys are the most overrated and pathetic band ever. Boring songs, boring outfits and their music = junk. Plus if I say they suck, you know I'm right lmao.
Last edited by Nitrodemon McLaren on 21 Mar 2009, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: Bash-all-you-want Music

Post by topsy kret1 »

Nitrodemon McLaren wrote:Another Can of Spam game.

Basically I say a band. I and everybody else keeps bashing it and others, defending it. Once this fills up a page or approx. a page and a half, somebody mentions a different band. We bash and defend... the spam way, of course.

I'll start: The Beatles.

These guys are the most overrated and pathetic band ever. Boring songs, boring outfits and their music = junk. Plus if I say they suck, you know I'm right lmao.
i don't mind them. only a few songs i like. annoying, old, and as Nitro said, overrated.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Jonas Brothers.

Need I say more, really?
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

No, you really don't.
Evil Kid Weaselmush
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Evil Kid Weaselmush »

No, you really don't.

Although...
Nitrodemon Mclaren - Once this fills up a page or approx. a page and a half, somebody mentions a different band.
Back to The Beatles:

Yep, one of the stupidest, most overrated bands ever. Just about all their songs are complete garbage, I like hardly any of them.

Then their lyrics are just absolutely awful. I look at most of them and I'm like, "Um, I could have written that myself in 5 minutes." Most of the lyrics don't even make any sense, obviously 'cuz the guys were so stoned when they wrote them. Most of their songs they don't even remember writing, for that very reason.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

The Beatles suck more than the Jonas Brother's can't be.

End of story.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Yeah I've never seen why people appreciate the Beatles that much...quite frankly The Beach Boys are more entertaining XD
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Jonas Brothers are gay with each other.

Beatles are old. And annoying. I can't listen to their songs without getting pissed.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I do think the Beatles can be grossly overrated, but I also think they can be grossly underrated. I like a lot of their music and I don't think I can say I hate any of it, but I wouldn't call it great or legendary. A lot of bands/musicians I also like say they're influenced by the Beatles.
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

i agree to that. if it wasn't for the Beatles, The Who never would've left England and become a huge hit in the states
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Their influence is undeniable, but what exactly made them influential?

Their overbloated popularity, seeing as their songs aren't much at all. They were a bunch of young adults who got REEEAALLLY lucky with their rock/pop music and became the most overrated band ever.

But yeah, overall their music sparked an uprising. After them came Led Zeppelin and many other British bands who would later make England home of many legendary rock bands... and metal bands too.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

...and Russell Brand. :mrgreen:

Without the Beatles, most of our music wouldn't be what makes it our music.

So thanks to the last generation, for putting up with bullsh*t music for us. *cheers*
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Such as Linkin Park. Ughh... what junk people listen to these days. ><

Well, even though the rules say otherwise, I think we're pretty much done here. =\

Next band:

Megadeth.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Nitrodemon McLaren wrote:Such as Linkin Park. Ughh... what junk people listen to these days. ><
Linkin Park are bullcrap? Do you belong in the right generation? :P
Evil Kid Weaselmush
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Nitrodemon McLaren wrote: Next band:

Megadeth.
Dave Mustaine. Considering I'm a HUGE Metallica fan, I think I needn't say anything more.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Mustaine is responsible for a lot of Metallica's early work. He deserves some kudos for that. And now he's doing a great job at Megadeth. I can't wait for their new album this year.

IMO, Killing is My Business was suckish on album. It's better live, especially The Mechanix. Mustaine shouldn't have wasted half the budget on drugs... <<

You have to give them some respect for desiring to experiment with different styles though, which was especially proven in Risk.
Evil Kid Weaselmush
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Metallica has proven over and over again their superiority over Megadeth. Many old Metallica songs were partially written by Dave (they give him credit in 6 of their songs) to begin with but were then later fixed up and made even better by the 'tallica guys. For example, Metallica's "The Four Horsemen"... Megadeth's version is called "The Mechanix". True, Dave wrote a lot of that song. But Metallica then went back and redid a lot of it... James rewrote all the lyrics, and Kirk added in that whole guitar solo. Andd, IMO, The Four Horsemen is just a way better song overall than The Mechanix. Also, all of Metallic'as own stuff is a lot better than any of Megadeth's. "Master of Puppets" and "...And Justice For All", for example -- 2 really great albums, some of the top-ranked metal albums of all time, without any of Dav'e help. And "Ride the Lightning" only had 2 songs on it partially written by Dave.

Metallica really deserves credit for experimentation too, personally I think even more than Megadeth. Really they were the first band out there to really start experimenting with thrash metal and start making thrash metal songs that were actually good. They recorded "Hit The Lights" in 1982, and that song was a lot different from anything else at that time. When Dave formed Megadeth, it was quite different too, but it wasn't like a whole new genre or anything that they had started.

Not to mention, I think Dave Mustaine is, personally, just about one of the biggest @ssholes on the planet. I completely don't blame James and Lars for firing Dave from 'tallica, he was an extreme alcoholic and drug addict. He was a huge embarasement to the band and was dangerous to be around. They even gave him a second chance, but he firetrucked that up right away. Metallica tried for years and years not to make this a personal thing, Lars even wanted to keep hanging out with Dave after he was fired, but Dave wouldn't have any of that. To this day he holds that grudge.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

You are right on Dave's grudge and what a whiner he is.

However, Dave and Megadeth were important in the development of thrash. At first Megadeth was a band in the underground scene started by Dave to be bigger than Metallica.

Megadeth released Peace Sells... but Who's Buying? which became a thrash metal classic with the eponymous title track and opening bass line. Soon after that Rust in Peace was released, often considered Megadeth's best. It showed how technical and progressive Megadeth's music could be and is definitely a landmark in thrash metal, and overall the technical aspect of heavy metal.

After Rust in Peace, Megadeth released Countdown to Extinction which became multi-platinum and was awarded for a Grammy. It is also what truly boosted Megadeth into mainstream popularity.

But get THIS, Metallica quit their roots to become famous. The Black Album was a total letdown from their previous thrash classics. And they became famous.

Megadeth, on the other hand did not give up their roots and continued with Countdown.

Countdown was followed by albums demonstrating Megadeth's desire to experiment with other genres. Although it was negatively/mixed by reception, Megadeth still lived on as heavy metal.

Metallica chose a different path with Load and ReLoad. A hard rock-ish approach with some heavy riffs here and there. It was negatively received but was a huge mainstream success and helped Metallica boost in popularity again.

This was continued with St. Anger, a very raw and repetitive album which although received mixed to negative reception (especially by fans) was once again, a mainstream success.

Metallica however, finally got the picture by releasing Death Magnetic. They finally realized they needed to stick with their roots. But it only took them a few years short of two decades.

Megadeth released The System Has Failed and United Abominations in 2004 and 2007, respectively. They sort of gave up on experimentation and returned to their true roots. And most metalheads are eagerly awaiting their 2009 album.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Shots have already been taken at the Jonas Brothers, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hxxxxh Mxxxxxa yet. Or is everyone too horrified?
Evil Kid Weaselmush
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Nitrodemon McLaren wrote:You are right on Dave's grudge and what a whiner he is.

However, Dave and Megadeth were important in the development of thrash. At first Megadeth was a band in the underground scene started by Dave to be bigger than Metallica.

Megadeth released Peace Sells... but Who's Buying? which became a thrash metal classic with the eponymous title track and opening bass line. Soon after that Rust in Peace was released, often considered Megadeth's best. It showed how technical and progressive Megadeth's music could be and is definitely a landmark in thrash metal, and overall the technical aspect of heavy metal.

After Rust in Peace, Megadeth released Countdown to Extinction which became multi-platinum and was awarded for a Grammy. It is also what truly boosted Megadeth into mainstream popularity.

But get THIS, Metallica quit their roots to become famous. The Black Album was a total letdown from their previous thrash classics. And they became famous.

Megadeth, on the other hand did not give up their roots and continued with Countdown.

Countdown was followed by albums demonstrating Megadeth's desire to experiment with other genres. Although it was negatively/mixed by reception, Megadeth still lived on as heavy metal.

Metallica chose a different path with Load and ReLoad. A hard rock-ish approach with some heavy riffs here and there. It was negatively received but was a huge mainstream success and helped Metallica boost in popularity again.

This was continued with St. Anger, a very raw and repetitive album which although received mixed to negative reception (especially by fans) was once again, a mainstream success.

Metallica however, finally got the picture by releasing Death Magnetic. They finally realized they needed to stick with their roots. But it only took them a few years short of two decades.

Megadeth released The System Has Failed and United Abominations in 2004 and 2007, respectively. They sort of gave up on experimentation and returned to their true roots. And most metalheads are eagerly awaiting their 2009 album.
Remember, I too am an extreme metalhead. I know all these albums. Really though I never said that I don't like Megadeth or their music, because I certainly do (though I do personally like Metallica's music a bit more). They're one of my all-time favorite bands, despite my personal disliking towards Dave. That doesn't take away from their music at all for me, I too am really looking forward to their 2009 album. I wasn't so much trying to bash Megadeth as I was support Metallica.

Really Metallica was quite well known before The Black Album. The majority of people in the world, especially in America (not just metalheads) had heard of them by the time of Master of Puppets, and certainly by the time of ...And Justice For All, though I think only big metalheads had actually heard (listened to) a lot of their music. That's really partially how The Black Album was such a mainstream success, because it was by such a big-time metal band and so many people were starting to become familiar with the name in recent years, but hadn't really heard much of their music. Then just by the time they had already become so famous, they released The Black Album to gather even more fans (by then they had already recruited just about every true metalhead on the planet) from a more mainstream audience. So many people were willing to go listen to the album after they had already released several albums and become so big. I have a feeling that if they had continued making true thrash metal all during the '90s and '00s, they still would have been really big and Metallica would still just be growing and growing. Anyways, personally, I can hardly stand anything off The Black Album, except just a few songs. And I certainly can't stand anything from Load, ReLoad, or St. Anger. Death Magnetic was actually a half-decent album IMO, had many great songs on it. But it still can never live up to their 4 original (and best) albums.

As for Megadeth, well my personal favorites are Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, Youthanasia, and The System Has Failed.

And by the way, it appears that as of just recently (earlier this month to be specific), Dave and the 'tally guys may be on friendly terms again... I dunno about friends, that's possible too, but Dave certainly seems to have lost that grudge recently. Check this out: http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=7737 :shock: Never thought I'd hear anything like that coming from Dave. Really though, he has just matured so much within just the past few years and really become a completely new person. I don't think he drinks or takes drugs any more either. What is it that changed him? Or shall I say... who? Nobody but God can do these sorts of miracles in a person's life. And that's just who Dave credits this change to. Sometime in 2003, I believe, Dave accepted Christ into his life and as his personal Savior, and saved Dave He has. I know that James Hetfield in Metallica has recently reached similar points in his spiritual life too, I think he finally decided to stop running from God and just get right for once. He says that's what the Death Magnetic song "The Day That Never Comes" is about, and really, you can just tell that there's something very different about James these days. And I can just relate so much to this saving Power because I once was lost too. I know what that feels like, and I know how I feel now, now that I'm alive again. There is only One who can save us. All we have to do is ask it of Him. We have to wanna be saved.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Yes, Mustaine, after all these years has been starting to make peace with Metallica.

Check out this, it's old but still... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/int ... rapes.html

And by the way, I'm an atheist. There's no such thing as God. It's the person themselves. God is just a fictional being meant to bring hope to people. It makes people believe in themselves, thinking it's God, when in fact - it's them.

I'm also a big fan of Metallica. They're in my top bands. However, I personally think Megadeth are slightly better. Rust in Peace is to Megadeth what Master of Puppets is to Metallica. Metallica chose a raw thrash metal sound, which BTW was perfect. Megadeth chose a technical sound, which again was perfect. So, their magnum opuses are 50/50 in my book.

The Black Album had its memorable parts - Enter Sandman, in particular. Load and ReLoad had their fair share of good songs, most notably Fuel for me. St. Anger's rawness was also pleasing the first time you heard it.

Youthanasia was another great album by Megadeth, however this was followed by Cryptic Writings which was very experimental and unusual. Had its moments though.

Risk was 100% experimental. They incorporated many different genres including acoustic rock and disco and fused it with metal/hard rock. It was meh in the end.

Then came The World Needs a Hero which is basically their St. Anger. It featured a raw and repetitive sound and was overall more furious.

In the end, I'd call both bands 50/50. They're equally awesome. They all have their masterpieces, but in some cases have better things about them too. (both Metallica and Megadeth)

Debate closed.

(you know, I think I should change the rules)
Evil Kid Weaselmush
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Ok, new band:

Evanescence
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Although I have heard of and read about Evanescence, I haven't listened to a single song by them. Therefore I cannot participate in this debate.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Evil Kid Weaselmush wrote:Ok, new band:

Evanescence
I'm a rock/metalhead/whatever but I'm not a fan of Evanescence. Kinda like Metallica. Not my style.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:I'm a rock/metalhead/whatever but I'm not a fan of Evanescence. Kinda like Metallica. Not my style.
Are we talking about the same Evanescence here? How can they be compared with Metallica??

Return to “Can of Spam”