EA only using 20% of PS3 Power

The news visible on the main page
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

EA only using 20% of PS3 Power

Post by Skyline_man »

Looking up some Playstation sites, i spotted an interesting article at PSU with the vice president of EA Games talking about the PS3 and how they are handling it.
Recently Glenn Entis, Vice President and Chief Visual Officer at Electronic Arts discussed his feelings about the PlayStation 3 console.

When asked, how do the PS3 and Xbox 360 match up? Glenn responded:

"The whole industry knows it's been a challenge; the PS3's a very complex piece of equipment. On one hand it's a challenge, on the other hand there's tremendous potential in that box. I think it's going to take developers a little while to figure out how to unlock that power.

We've got games coming out now where we feel we've hit maybe 20 per cent of the potential of PlayStation 3. We know the power's there, but like any new platform it's going to take us a little bit of time to unleash it.

Was it more complex than we were expecting? Yes, probably; there were some challenges that we didn't expect. We've got tremendous confidence long-term that it's going to be a phenomenal games machine."

So to find that EA has only tapped into 20% of the PS3's power, you look at games like Fight Night Round 3 with amazing graphics and realistic facial animations, it makes you wonder what the PS3 will have in store for us in the future. Like Glenn said,"...We know the power's there, but like any new platform it's going to take us a little bit of time to unleash it."
So does that means that the future NFS titles will be best played on the PS3 ? Discuss it here.
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

interesting.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

EA is reverting in time, they're going backwards!!! not using all the ps3 tech is a waste of time, just like carbon....
Boosted420a
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Boosted420a »

Sounds like a sales pitch to me. Marketing gimmick. :?
keiri
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by keiri »

Sounds like marketing speak to me; I remember them saying the Xbox 360 was way more powerful than a PC last year, hence why some of the features it had didn't make it to the PC version of Most Wanted.

I doubt that extra 80% will make a difference with EA's less than stellar programming.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Boosted420a wrote:Sounds like a sales pitch to me. Marketing gimmick. :?
True.. Just trying to hype up buyers to make it seem like it is sooo powerful without any proof.
korge
Jaster_Mereel
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Jaster_Mereel »

It's true that when a console is first released, the games aren't taking full advantage of the console because it is a whole new system to make the game for. I HIGHLY doubt that the current PS3 games are only at 20% of the consoles potential. Here is a question for you: "Why doesn't the PS3 support anti-aliasing?" I almost can't stand to watch someone play a PS3 game on anything but a 27 inch HDTV (reason for this is that a 27 inch has the same amount of pixels as most of the really large ones. And since there are so many pixels for the small screen, you don't notice the AA missing as much).
RavenGT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RavenGT »

Jaster_Mereel wrote:It's true that when a console is first released, the games aren't taking full advantage of the console because it is a whole new system to make the game for. I HIGHLY doubt that the current PS3 games are only at 20% of the consoles potential. Here is a question for you: "Why doesn't the PS3 support anti-aliasing?" I almost can't stand to watch someone play a PS3 game on anything but a 27 inch HDTV (reason for this is that a 27 inch has the same amount of pixels as most of the really large ones. And since there are so many pixels for the small screen, you don't notice the AA missing as much).
Both Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 use 4x anti-aliasing sampling.
Jaster_Mereel
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Jaster_Mereel »

How come the AA looks like **** then on the PS3? has Sony done the same thing as Microsoft did for the Xbox 360 and make the demos not to run anti-aliasing (I don't know anybody with over $600 bucks to burn on a PS3, so I haven't been able to play a full game yet. If they did have $600, I bet they would just upgrade their graphics card on their pc and be happier than if they bought a PS3) ?
-|CRONZ|-
Ricer
Ricer

Post by -|CRONZ|- »

Jaster_Mereel wrote:How come the AA looks like **** then on the PS3? has Sony done the same thing as Microsoft did for the Xbox 360 and make the demos not to run anti-aliasing (I don't know anybody with over $600 bucks to burn on a PS3, so I haven't been able to play a full game yet. If they did have $600, I bet they would just upgrade their graphics card on their pc and be happier than if they bought a PS3) ?
that's so true id rather hook up my computer any day...PC is the ultimate gaming platform because its modifiable
Jaster_Mereel
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Jaster_Mereel »

:) and when the PS4 comes out for $800 bucks (if it's $600 now, you know it will be more for the next one the way things are going), we will be able to buy a brand new graphics car and proccessor.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

$800 in a couple of years will be able to get you a whole pretty decent computer with monitor, keyboard, and whatnot.

Return to “News”