Slowdown In Need For Speed Underground

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed Most Underground.
Be sure to search first!
ssma2005
Ricer
Ricer

Slowdown In Need For Speed Underground

Post by ssma2005 »

I recently got hold of Need For Speed Underground 1. I am running my game on an IBM Thinkpad with 1.5 gig processor, 256 meg of ram and 64 meg video card (Intel 82852/82855 Graphics Controller). I installed all files off the CD and downloaded a NOCD Patch so now it runs directly off the harddrive. During some races in particular parts of the tracks(s) I experience slowdown, is there anyway I can fix this? I have tried running in compatiblity mode on XP and deleting the gimme dll but to no avail, any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I've had this problem a few times in NFSU2, probably just the game processing.
ssma2005
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ssma2005 »

Well I tried a number of solutions but it still won't run 100% on my system. It seems a lot of people are having problems with the framerate in NFSU. I only experience slowdown on certain parts of tracks for maybe 2-3 seconds then it reverts to running at a constant rate throughout the remainder of the race, but it's still an annoyance.
I have heard there are some issues with RAM?? On other forums people have stated that with XP you should really have 512MB of ram to run the game smoothly? Is this correct? Would running on a Windows 98 system make a difference as it uses less system resources to run the OS?? I have a copy of Windows 98 SE, which in the past I found was more effecient as a gaming platform, I may consider running a dual boot system so I can use 98, but I'm not 100% sure if it's worthwhile...
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

i have 1GB RAM and a decent Athlon64 clocked at 2.3GHz..... the problem lies somewhere else, i think..... in the beginning, i used to run NFSU2 with enhanced contrast and overbright turned on.... as time went on, i noticed that during a lot of races, enhanced contrast made the game run really slower... nowhere was this more apparent than in the dual level strretX and drift races (the tracks that have more than one leve)... so now, i play with enhance contrast, overbright, and motionblur turned off and that gives me much better framerates

try turning those options off and see what happens...

as for windows 98 over windows xp, xp itself uses up more resources than 98.... but, if you're willing to sacrifice a few luxaries, even xp can be tamed
ssma2005
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ssma2005 »

I have turned off all the special effects, the framerate is smoother in most parts, but I still get slowdown on certain corners :roll: Well it's still very playable, so until I can work my way around it, it will have to do.
Sparx
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Sparx »

I think yyou need atleast another 256mb stick of ram and atleast id say 128mb of GFX then it should run fine
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

The problem is probably your built-in graphics card. Those aren't made for games :)
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

64 MB is the minimum requirement, I think... Try getting 128 MB, should solve the problem. ;)
ssma2005
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ssma2005 »

Thanks for the tips, I was thinking of making a custom PC in the near future in any case. Which brand of card do you think I should use for most games (old and new) inc NFSU that has TV Out? I'm more accustomed to console gaming so I want to try and make it similar to that experience :wink:
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I have a NVidia GeForce 6600GT, and I love it, and it has TV out. :wink:
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

What he said ^
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

check out the thread in the hardware forum... graphic cards ATI/nVidia... it was called something like that...

personally, i prefer ATI cards, althought nVidia is good for overclocking..... but, iono.... i guess i just like what i have, lol.... like the fact that i prefer AMDs over Intels.....
Sparx
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Sparx »

As people have said 6600GT is a great card for games if you to push your gfx abit more consider the 6800GT but it all depends on what your willing to spend
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Do you have to reply to every thread? All you do anyway is agree with people. :?
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

C'mon man... People here want to help too. At least he posted something useful rather than "^ Agree".... Give others a chance to help as well. ;)

But what he said is true, Sparx. Don't reply to posts which you're not familiar with. You do not want to revive an old topic which is more than 2 years. :P
Sparx
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Sparx »

oop sorry my bad lol
ssma2005
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ssma2005 »

I did some computer parts shopping earlier today for my new PC setup. I bought a Titan P4 motherboard w/ onboard sound, 2.8 gig Celeron Processor, 128MB Nvidia Geforce 5200 video card w/ TV-Out, single channel 512MB DDR RAM, 80 Gig Western Digital HDD & Dual Layer 16X DVD Burner, all that I am lacking is a case, keyboard & mouse, which I will buy soon. So I hope that's sufficient enough for NFSU & other newer titles :wink:
Sparx
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Sparx »

uhm ur gfx might run new games but in low res,it will run nfsu2 fine
ssma2005
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ssma2005 »

Sparx wrote:uhm ur gfx might run new games but in low res,it will run nfsu2 fine
As long as the games run at a decent speed that's my main concern, gameplay is the most important factor 8)
ssma2005
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ssma2005 »

I have a slightly off topic question, what is the largest you can have for a FAT32 partition (Win98) as opposed to an NTFS partition (XP/NT)?? I'm considering installing Win98 on my new beast as to save system resources.
Sparx
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Sparx »

I can see your view on wanting to save recources but 98 is as secury as xp so i wouldnt go with 98.
ssma2005
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ssma2005 »

I bought a new PC case today. I went to install everything as I have done in the past with previous PC's. The problem is this PC doesn't seem to work, I connected all the cables, hdd, cd-rom, processor and heatsink as outlined, but the thing is when I leave the processor in the motherboard it doesn't try to read the hdd or cd-rom but when I take out the processor it does try to read the hdd and cd-rom, you can hear the cd-rom and hdd making odd sounds, like they r being turned on and off every 10 seconds. Obviously the power is getting through to the motherboard, as the led lights function and the fans, hdd and cd-rom power up.
Now another thing I found odd was when the processor was installed the hdd and cd-rom did NOT power up when connected to the IDE, but when not connected to their respective IDE whilst the processor was installed they did power up....
Any idea what the problem is?? Is it the processor, the motherboard?? Any help would be appreciated.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Try looking at the BIOS setup, make sure you have the primary/slave IDE arranged properly. Maybe you don't have enough power, you may need to get a new power supply. BTW, this should go in the Hardware/Software Disccussion topiic.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

i remember my first custom-built PC..... my mobo needed the usual ATX power connector as well as a ATX 12V connector.... i only plugged the ATX in and the processor kept turning on and then turning off.....

yea, you probably don't have enough power....

and this <i>should</i> go in the hardware/software forum

Return to “Help & Support”