[NFSPU] Running under WinXP/Win2k

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed.
Be sure to search first!
Carcio

[NFSPU] Running under WinXP/Win2k

Post by Carcio »

I've tried to play NSF5 on winXP Pro but it gets stuck on the splash screen.
I installed the 3.5 patch but it still doesn't work.
Is there a way to make it work on WinXP?
Thank you.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

I've been waiting for someone to post a message like this...

There are a lot of ways to get NFSPU to work in winxp:

- First you'll have to run the game in compatibility mode (Win98)

- If the first doesn't work try deleting the gimme.dll file in the NFSPU root dir.

- There are often problems if you have 256MB RAM or more. To fix this you need to lower your page file size: right-click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance Settings, Advanced. Then click Change at the bottom. Change the page file size to 192MB. (Added by SuperRacer)

- If the above three don't work, then go to Windows Update, there is supposed to be a patch for NFSPU there. Not sure about that one though.

And be sure to have the latest drivers for your video card.

Let us know if you still have problems.
BB88

Post by BB88 »

How do you run it in compatibility mode? Actually, the game doesn't work in Windows 2000
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

To run something in compatibility mode go to start menu and right click on the program you want to run. The select properties and then compatibility. Use the Windows 98 / ME mode then.

Post by Guest »

Well I have a problem as well :(
I bought the game finally 2 days ago and its runnig just fine, but the silly thing crashes in factory driver mode, when stephanie gives you an extended slalom course to do.
Anyone got an idea?

Chazlor
Winston

hmmmmm.... NFS PU works fine on Windows XP, doesn't it?

Post by Winston »

It seems weird to me how this game works, and doesn't work, in Windows XP. I'm running the game fine, without any compatibility settings, without deleting gimme.dll, without the 3.5 patch, and also with the lense flare effect on. However, I do run it from CD. Maybe it has more to do with newer CPUs (1 GHz and above) being too fast for this old game? I've seen this happen with other games... I don't know... just a thought...

My system config:
AMD Athlon 850 MHz
256 MB sdram PC-133 (Windows Pagefile: 1024 MB)
Windows XP Pro (build 2600) with all windows updates installed
GeForce2 MX-200 (with updated drivers from Nvidia)
Soundblaster Audigy

NFS PU settings: 1024x768, 32-bit colors, all detail levels set to full/highest quality. Sound quality set to highest, and 3D sound enabled... and it still runs very nice and smooth...

I've had only one small problem: it crashes occasionally, after several hours of gameplay. When this happens, I simply restart the game, and I'm back on track. I've completed both Evolution Mode and Factory Driver twice, as well as several single races and knockouts.

In addition, the Porsche Chronicle doesn't work at all, but as far as I know, this is a bug in the game itself. I have heard several other NFS PU users having the same problem, both with the US and EU versions of the game.

Some "problems" did occur tho, when trying the No CD Patch from this website. Now I had to rename (just as good as delete) the gimme.dll file to make the game work (still no need for compatibillity settings). When creating my player profile, however, I COULD select a face for it, but the image does NOT appear in the "Select player" list (a bug in the No CD patch?). Except these minor "problems", the game seems to work just as fine as before. I have completed the first tournament of the Evolution Mode, and played a single race... and still with the lense flare effect set to ON...

Hopefully, this info can be of help to anyone trying to make NFS PU work on a Windows XP computer. In addition, maybe the makers of that No CD patch will concider fixing that small bug, and release a newer version? ;)

Question: Does the No CD Patch also include the 3.5 update? If not, how can I get them both installed at the same time? As far as I have seen, both patches are simply new versions of the porsche.exe file, so that one patch overwrites the other.

Regards Jan Erik Nicolaysen (AKA Winston)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

I've added another NO CD patch for the 3.5 version to our utils page.
It should work with the updated game.
Winston
Ricer
Ricer

No CD Patch

Post by Winston »

Sounds great! Will download it and try! :)
Winston
Ricer
Ricer

correction...

Post by Winston »

My earlier post up there (Posted: Sat 12 Oct, 2002 9:06 am) says my computer has only 256 MB ram, while it in fact has 512... I was tired when posting that one, okay? :lol:

!!Fix Found for XP-SP1 Upgrade NFS-PU to 3.5

Post by Guest »

I have found a fix to update NFS-PU to 3.5 on a system that is running XP with SP1 patch that is pretty easy. It will semi automatically update NFS-PU, which will allow online multiplayer play. I found this by looking at another machine, running 98, that updated properly and looked at the update.log. Here is what you do:

Step 1. Be sure your EA Updater is in the default location before trying this (c:\Prgram Files\EACom\Update)
Step 2. Nothing else running, except maybe your browser.
Step 3. Be sure you are connected to the internet.
Step 4. Bring up a DOS command line usually by the following sequence START-RUN type in COMMAND
Step 5. ***This is the fix***
put the following line at the prompt
c:\Progra~1\EACom\Update\buddy.exe -pid -16546117 -launch c:\Progra~1\EACom\Update\EAUpdate.exe -reg 14077 -cdrv g:\ -noupd

Step 6. What you should observe is see some things downloading and copying files to your NFS-PU. This is a semiautomatic update, it is automatically updating the proper files, but you have to initiate it manually.

Let me know if this works for you. Moderators, I think this may be a sticky or should be posted on some FAQ so that folks can find it easily.

:D
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

Interesting..unfortunately I can't try it now because I dont' have enough space to install NFS5 on XP :(

Step 4. Bring up a DOS command line usually by the following sequence START-RUN type in COMMAND
Instead of typing command type in cmd. For me, command makes the command prompt full screen, cmd is in a window and looks better :P

c:\Progra~1\EACom\Update\buddy.exe -pid -16546117 -launch c:\Progra~1\EACom\Update\EAUpdate.exe -reg 14077 -cdrv g:\ -noupd
Is the g:\ part is your cdrom right? Then everyone should replace it with the letter of their cd drive.
gergalchemist

Right RUN and CD g:\ probably

Post by gergalchemist »

Your right as far as the command line prompt, you could put it right in the RUN line. I believe you are also correct on the cd g:\, but I just left it and it worked fine as it found the CD drive anyway. To be safe, I would replace the g with whatever you have, usually d.
Nadstar81

Problems in the game controllers screen

Post by Nadstar81 »

I can install NFSPU fine and dandy, i deleted the gimme.dll file, and did the 3.5 patch update (not positive if it worked although), but when i get into the game, everything runs smooth until i go into the game controllers menu, and then everything becomes very laggy and i cant accomplish anything in the screen, but when i play the game normaly, it works fine and i can play on my keyboard, anyone have ideas in what i can do? because using the keyboard sucks ass!

CPU Specs:
1.7 amd
64mb geforce 4
256mb ddr ram
win xp
nessa

nfs pu problem

Post by nessa »

- I have a problem: I managed to get nfs-pu to work on my computer, but it does not run smoothly - it seems to be shaking in the menu as well as in the races. I have tried the 3.5 patch and deletng the gimme.dll file but neither helps. A friend of mine has the same problem so I ruled out that it might be because of my graphics card.. Does anyone know what else I can do? Thanks -

system conf.:
amd athlon 1700 XP
256MB ddr
winxp pro
hercules kyro 2

-nessa-

cant play multiplayer on XP

Post by Guest »

i can play every part of the game fine on XP, except for multiplayer. I get into a pit and the pit boss starts the game, and it goes back to the main menu. i've reinstalled, and deleted all my cheat characters, but it still doesn't work. help!
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

That's strange. Delete (or move) ALL your modified cars and tracks and install the 3.5 patch.
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

Everyone check bobyx's post here (the 2nd one in the beginning of the thread). I added another possible fix.

Post by Guest »

It wont work for me the multiplayer
I tried many things that u guys suggested but nothing....
Thug Soul
Ricer
Ricer

Nfs 5 Multiplayer over the Lan in XP

Post by Thug Soul »

I've played NFS 5 over the LAN in XP with 6 comps and every comp loaded nfs from my HDD... Everything worked just fine
Nitro
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Nitro »

Really interesting for others to have such problems and others nothing at all.(I belong to the second ones) :D The thing is that i'm running the game in win XP Pro (V.5.1.2600 Build 2600) on a Pentium III 533Mhz!!! 224Mb RAM and has no problem at all. :D I haven't used the 3.5 patch or deleted anything but works fine and really is very stable :shock: Don't know what to say...Hope you find a fix for your problem :)
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

Gotta say I'm fortunate to be with Nitro there in that I have no prob's with the games under xp when I used it... just all else screwed up so I got rid of it.
Nitro
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Nitro »

Rogue we are the chosen ones :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

Dude, we must be something..lol.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

From the Update NFS Porsche Unleashed in Windows XP thread.
Winston wrote:This is a way to update NFS-PU to v3.5, on a system that is running Windows XP with SP1. It is is pretty easy to do, and will semi-automatically update NFS-PU, which will allow online multiplayer play.

Here is what you do:

:arrow: Step 1:
Be sure your EA Updater is in the default location before trying this (C:\Program Files\EACom\Update).

:arrow: Step 2:
Make sure no other programs are running (except maybe your browser).

:arrow: Step 3:
Be sure you are connected to the internet.

:arrow: Step 4:
Go to START -> RUN (or use MS-DOS Command Prompt), and type the following command line:

C:\Progra~1\EACom\Update\buddy.exe -pid -16546117 -launch C:\Progra~1\EACom\Update\EAUpdate.exe -reg 14077 -cdrv CDROM:\ -noupd

Remember to replace "CDROM" with the correct drive letter for your CD-ROM drive! Then click on the OK button (or press enter).

:arrow: Step 5:
What you should observe now, is some files being downloaded and copied to your NFS-PU.

This is a semi-automatic update, since it is automatically updating the proper files, but you have to initiate it manually.

RA wrote:I dunno if it was just a fluke or not, but by changing the parameter "macresourceforks" from "false" to "true" in the file"properties.txt" in my PU-install i managed to run PU without chrashing out to the desktop for a full hour now. Before doing this it would usually crash every 10 to 15 mins and every time trying to run the "extended slalom"-course in "Test Driver"-mode.
Can anyone else who has problems with PU crashing out to the desktop try this to see if it makes a diff to You?

btw
I'm running Win XP Pro SP1 and PU updated to ver 3.5 (with "gimme.dll" renamed)
subzero_sv
Stock
Stock

Post by subzero_sv »

i'm not speak english but i try to help you.

"I've tried to play NSF5 on winXP Pro but it gets stuck on the splash screen".

visit:
http://members.fortunecity.com/nfssv

go to the left and select nfs5 --> parches/patches and download:
nfs5 jmg memory manager

you never will need windows 98 compatibility or move the virtual memory configuration or change your crack etc. this patch resolve all.

sorry by my poor english. bye

Return to “Help & Support”