Nitro-Methane

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Dagon
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Nitro-Methane

Post by Dagon »

What's everyone's opinions on this stuff? It seems like practically nobody has ever even heard of it, yet it routinely propels V8 dragsters to do around 4 second quartermiles. S'probably hell on the cylinders, but I'm wondering if you could have a "racing" nitromethane load that had considerably more diluted nitroglycerin.

Check around on the net about it. Pretty cool stuff, although when you're running your engine on dynamite it'd sure pay not to crash into anything.

Speaking of which, that'd be a damn fun thing to use at a rice-race (assuming you're just driving forwards. Cornering about 400 kilometres per hour sounds painful.)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

As far as I know, only Top Fuel dragsters run on nitro-methane. It very expensive, dangerous, and it will easily chew up your Hemi's engine parts in one 5 second run.
that'd be a damn fun thing to use at a rice-race
The engine must be specially built to run on nitro-methane. Put it onto anything else and it will either explode everywhere or simply not work.
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

In the top fuel class the engines are practically done all over again after every race...
Not a cheap sport :).
lol wut
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

yeah i think the gases and fumes from a crash killed a Driver in the NHRA. his name was Darrel Russel if anyone knows him.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Oh and one quick tip about nitro methane . . .

NEVER pour it onto the ground and hit it with a hammer.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Wow, it's that voitile?(sp?) Sounds like nitro-glicerine to me. :lol:
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

Nitro-methane's a fuel additive, not a fuel itself. If you use it then the IHRA bars you from using a supercharger too, so it might not be the best way to go.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

I understand it is a fuel. Dragster cars run on 90% nitro-methane and 10% alcohol. The alcohol was adde to the reglamentations to prevent the engines from blowing up so easily as they where doing it.

"I'm wondering if you could have a "racing" nitromethane load that had considerably more diluted nitroglycerin."

Ntiromethane ir already "racing fuel" so if you added more nitor to the mix you would probably end up with a hole in the ground, and no car at all.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

if Top Fuel dragsters were still runnning 100% or 98% they would have beat the speed record and/or killed at least 10 drivers :lol: i say NHRA TF drivers are crazy!
flatlander757
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by flatlander757 »

LOL good luck spending $20,000 per run(if NOTHING breaks) to rebuild the motor.

Hardly practical at all.

Now... nitro methanol is a fuel you can run 2 stroke RC cars on... my 1/8 buggy revs to 42,000rpms :lol:
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Yeah, thise little engines are crazy. They have 3 hp with 3 cc capacity.
flatlander757
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by flatlander757 »

Yeah man, 40mph with one gear in like 2 sec :shock: And that's with an OFFROAD car... the 1/10 scale on road racers are nuts... It's typical to hit 70+mph with 2 gears and a smaller engine(.15, as opposed to my .21 sized engine).

Return to “The Cars”