Projector, monitor, tv?

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Projector, monitor, tv?

Post by Tunerfreak »

Ive been wanting to get a better display for gaming and graphics etc, as I only have 2x 17"s which max at 1248x1024. And it will be great to watch TV and Ps2 on my tuner card. Dual screen is great, but 17"s are too small, and lacking resolution.

Projector -

It won't give me more resolution or graphics, but it will provide a huge display to immerse myself in, and will be great with my surround sound. Although its expensive, especially to replace lenses.

Would the projector running through the Svideo out port work as an extension to the desktop?

What models will be good enough for gaming and TV? E.g. what has good colour, contrast etc?

Bigger Monitor -

I could upgrade from my 17" non-flat CRT to a 21" flat CRT, and then run some processes at 2048x1536 it gives my a rather large space for gaming and graphics. but its not as awesome as the size of a projector, but a bit cheaper.

Additional monitor -

If possible I could adapt my Svideo out port to VGA and add a 19" or 21" flat CRT, that would give me alot of space, but not a large increase in resolution and size.

Is it possible to convert Svideo to AGP?

Will the additional monitor work as a third screen along my extended destop?

Television -

I could get a large 24-30" or more TV set and plug it into my Svideo, that would give me a large screen, but lacking good resolution.

What is the better option?
Does anyone have any experience to share?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: Projector, monitor, tv?

Post by vellu »

Tunerfreak wrote:Would the projector running through the Svideo out port work as an extension to the desktop?
Yes. It works the same ways as any other display device, provided you enable desktop extension on your graphic settings.
Tunerfreak wrote:Is it possible to convert Svideo to AGP?

No, but I assume you mean svideo to VGA. In which case propably yes, I would imagine there are adapters available for that purpose. Third screen propably is possible, but most graphics cards can only handle two screens, so it will always be a clone of either your primary or secondary display.

As far recommendations go. If you want big screen, get a projector. If you want high res, get a big CRT.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

Don't forget that bulbs can be upwards of $500 for projectors, depending on your model and where you buy it from ... Also, a dark room is a must if you don't want it to be washed-out ... As far as what type, I'd say DLP > LCD for projectors in the low-to-midrange projectors, but LCD > DLP for high-end projectors ...

I wouldn't buy a CRT monitor, personally ...

If you have enough money to buy a projector, you can probably afford a large (21" - $24") widescreen LCD monitor with a 1920x1200 resolution ... That's almost double the resolution and a 24" widescreen would give you a little more viewable area (2 x 17" CRT monitors = 245.76 in^2, 1 x 24" Widescreen LCD monitor = 258.85 in^2)
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

vellu wrote:
Tunerfreak wrote:Is it possible to convert Svideo to AGP?
No, but I assume you mean svideo to VGA.
Whoops :oops:

Anyway, I dont want an LCD, they are expensive for large ones, the less expensive ones are smaller and slower, and they give me a really empty feeling :lol: And I like to be able to see clearly from an angle.

Im assuming if I can plug a projector into Svideo and use it as an additional display I should be able to do it with a TV or monitor right? Ill probly steal our old TV from out back for a little test and grab the Svid-RCA adapter to test how it works. EDIT: I looked around some websites and founf that, yes, my card will only support 2 displays at one time, but I can switch between the TV/ Projector and one of my monitors when gaming or something.

Ive got $1000NZD ($642USD / 508EUR) to play with, but I dont really want to go too far over $300NZD right now if possible, I can pick up a Sharp XG-3781 projector for $325NZD or a Plus U2-1130 Ultra compact DLP projector for about the same. So I should be able to get 1024x768 XGA resolution and 800:1 contrast ratio.
Also I can get cheap rather big TVs that could be an option because of no lens replacements. I might be able to get a 29" for $130NZD or bigger.
I can pick up a 2048x1536 reso 21" flat monitor for about $300.

My preferance is really the projector, im not too worried about the resollution now that I think about it. If the projector proves in theory to be the wrong choice, then I would prefer a big TV. This is assuming I can use my Tv-out Svideo port for the TV or projector while keeping my VGA and DVI ports for my monitors.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Tunerfreak wrote:This is assuming I can use my Tv-out Svideo port for the TV or projector while keeping my VGA and DVI ports for my monitors.
Yes, that should work.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Why are you using S-Video? S-Video is crap. Poor quality image and crappy resolution. Go with VGA or DVI. All monitors should have it (well, ALL monitors use VGA or DVI) and TVs and projectors should have a DVI input.
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

2furio wrote:Why are you using S-Video? S-Video is crap. Poor quality image and crappy resolution. Go with VGA or DVI. All monitors should have it (well, ALL monitors use VGA or DVI) and TVs and projectors should have a DVI input.
Tunerfreak wrote:This is assuming I can use my Tv-out Svideo port for the TV or projector while keeping my VGA and DVI ports for my monitors.
Ok, I have to ask... any chance of an Nview monitor limit override? I could use that DualHead2Go adapter that merges 2 monitors into one, and convert one of my ports to Svideo or whatever the Tv/ projector uses. but then process will start split up in between and I cant maximise onto one screen easilly.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

I say go with either two 21" monitors or maybe use an existing monitor and a 32" TV? I really think a projector is a bad idea for work and daily usage. A projector is a tool usually used rarely, usually on weekends for "special" occasions.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

2furio wrote:Why are you using S-Video? S-Video is crap. Poor quality image and crappy resolution. Go with VGA or DVI. All monitors should have it (well, ALL monitors use VGA or DVI) and TVs and projectors should have a DVI input.
Some do have. I have seen one, that had VGA in. I don't remember make or model, but...

And a tv for computer video is IMO a really bad idea. The res on tv is rather low, and you would need to have a huge tv at a large distance to see a rather good image. You shoukd get BIG monitors if you like, or a projector, what I would do if I had the $$$ to buy it and the $$$ to mantain it.

I'd say that an ideal system for me would be dual monitors (one widescreen biger, for gaming, when you need to look at a close detail, and a smaller one for messaging, and other app's while gaming, or alternative display when working wiht seneral windows (sometime I like to have 10+ windows open at once)) and a projector displaying the same as the big monitor.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Why are you complaining about 2 17" monitors?! :shock:
spartan.dk
Professional
Professional

Post by spartan.dk »

Exactly what I'm thinking :lol:
Kid Cro wrote:Now go Suck on your mom's boobie and stfuktnxbye!!!
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

2furio wrote:I say go with either two 21" monitors or maybe use an existing monitor and a 32" TV? I really think a projector is a bad idea for work and daily usage. A projector is a tool usually used rarely, usually on weekends for "special" occasions.
I think what I want then is the two monitors, and maybe upgrade one to a 21" and my TV sitting in the Tv-out port for use when I need it. A widescreen monitor/ TV would be awesome.
It would be nice having the projector for gaming and movies as my room can be pretty dark when I want it to be. Is that statement about daily use a common preferance or is it bad for the projector to be used regulary?
Koffy wrote:And a tv for computer video is IMO a really bad idea. The res on tv is rather low, and you would need to have a huge tv at a large distance to see a rather good image. You shoud get BIG monitors if you like, or a projector, what I would do if I had the $$$ to buy it and the $$$ to mantain it.

I'd say that an ideal system for me would be dual monitors (one widescreen biger, for gaming, when you need to look at a close detail, and a smaller one for messaging, and other app's while gaming, or alternative display when working wiht seneral windows (sometime I like to have 10+ windows open at once)) and a projector displaying the same as the big monitor.
The TV is not intended to replace the monitor by using the windows interface, its intended to be a large screen size to watch tv and games on, the TV uses some sort of blurry effect to make the small 800x600 resolution not so evident, and it looks ok when your not close.
Big monitors are expensive and I dont like them in LCD and 21" seems to be the biggest size I will find for a good 21" CRT flat second-hand. If I do get a 21" I would still like something like a large TV to cover watching TV and movies.
So really the projector is lot more like total immersion when its dark, rather than a 32" or so TV.
xHaZxMaTx wrote:Why are you complaining about 2 17" monitors?! :shock:
When you think about it, having one 17" is like having 2, as they are intentical but seperate devices, meaning there is no resolution gain or anything like that, just a bit of working space. And a little 17" monitor is not very ideal for TV and movies, and is a bit boring in gaming, and the resolution isnt very good. So if you have just one 17", you have the same max reso as me, the same gaming screen size etc.
spartan.dk wrote:Exactly what I'm thinking :lol:
Im sure it wouldnt take long to save up for another additional monitor yourself if you want one, I really suggest it.

Ok, I reeeally have to ask..

What happens if you take the front off a CRT monitor, can you use it like a projector? :lol:
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

It's like a big gaping hole... It's like... some sort of infinate large scientific anonmily, a black hole, if you will. :shock:
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

Im looking into a DIY projector for my hard material project at school, but my only problem is finding a cheap enough little LCD.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

If your looking into making your own projector check out this site, it's very helpful.

http://www.diyprojectorcompany.com/
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Question.. Why do you need a huge resolution? It's not gonna improve your graphics.
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

I decided against the high resolution a while ago. The main reason is probly that I can have a huge resolution destktop with a 21" and a 17" because one of my 17"s is maxed at 1280x1024.

Anyway, if I can grab an overhead projector or at least its lens off the school, along with an ubercheap LCD and built up one for my room. Without the lens replacing to worry about, ill probly end up using it more often than others would.

@weedman173 ive already looked at most sites along those lines, thanks though.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Well I don't know how your monitors are set-up but you can expand the picture to another, even old CRT monitors. For example if you have two 17" monitors both with a resolution of 1024x768, if you expand the picture from one to the other you actually have a resolution of 2048x768 and you can move windows to the other, so having one 17" is nothing like having 2 monitors.

-------------
It's not bad using a projector regularly but you have to remember that projectors require lamp changes and projectors with high resolution are very expensive, that's why I really think a projector is a bad idea.

Get one of those Sharp 32" or 26" LCD TVs...they have a good resolution (1366x768) and they are amazing...I always use it for games (when my parents aren't watching TV).
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

True, projectors lamps usually have a life time of 2000 hours after which they need replacing. And they easily cost 400-600€ (the lamp alone that is). So the maintenance cost is one negative aspect of a projector. Other display types are maintenance free (barring malfunctions).
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Tunerfreak wrote:What happens if you take the front off a CRT monitor, can you use it like a projector? :lol:
Sadly it wouldn't work, couse if it did, I think many people would be sawing off theyr CRT's. :LOL:
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

2furio wrote:Well I don't know how your monitors are set-up but you can expand the picture to another, even old CRT monitors. For example if you have two 17" monitors both with a resolution of 1024x768, if you expand the picture from one to the other you actually have a resolution of 2048x768 and you can move windows to the other, so having one 17" is nothing like having 2 monitors.
Yes im running dual screen, but games only run on primary and each monitor still only runs at 1280x1024.

If I can find a really cheap 6"-15" LCD (640 reso up) then it will be simple to home built a projector that rivals thousand dollar ones, without maintinence pay.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

What's wrong with 1280x1024?
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

Tunerfreak wrote:
If I can find a really cheap 6"-15" LCD (640 reso up) then it will be simple to home built a projector that rivals thousand dollar ones, without maintinence pay.

If you get a portable DVD player you can use and LCD from one of those. You can get one for $100.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

I own a selection of all three and I still have to say CRTs are better overall. Projectors have terrible refresh rate and are really only good forviewing slideshows and documents.

The flat panels are great, but tearing is too much of an occurence in lower priced versions.

What is wrong with the 2 crts?
korge
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

korge wrote:What is wrong with the 2 crts?
For once, they take up A LOT of space and secondly, they have limited resolutions compared to LCDs. I have nothing against LCD monitors and TVs (good quality, brand name). I just hate when noobs or people that don't know anything about them poke the screen. :x

Return to “The Hardware & Software”