I need some info on street racing......For a Sociology Final

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Chuck0408
Ricer
Ricer

I need some info on street racing......For a Sociology Final

Post by Chuck0408 »

This is for a final sociology project and I need to get different perspectives of street racing. Just post a message for answers and any good extra questions you might think would help. and give stories if you like. Everything will be anonymous.

-Describe the Social Structure.

-How does it make you feel? (well sounds dumb coming from me but people will have different veiws but eventally there will be divisions of people who have similar concepts)

-What are your opinions on street racing?

-
Remember I need everyones help so make it Broad.(please don't make things up and lie because It just throws everything off and its quite rude.)

I'm not allowed to use my own personal experiences for this so this is why I'm here
Sil-Eighty
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Sil-Eighty »

Street Racing in Japan

Street racers, known natively as hashiriya (走り屋)[17], can also occur on expressways and highways, infamously in Japan, where they are known as kousoku battle or commonly known as Roulette-zoku as they drive round and round on circular expressways [citation needed] and frequently occur on the Shuto Expressway in Tokyo. The most notorious group to be associated with it was the Mid Night Club who gave street racing worldwide attention with its 186 mph (300 km/h) antics and was known for its high standards and organization until they were disbanded in 1999 following a fatal accident involving a group of motorcyclists. With heavier punishments, patrolling police cars, crackdowns in meeting areas and speed cameras; expressway racing in Japan is not as common today as it was during the 80's and 90's but still occurs on a not so regular basis. Persistent racers often install electric license-plate swiveling mechanisms or picture-proof screens over their plates. [citation needed] In 2001, the amount of hashiriya have dropped to 4,365 last year from 9,624 in 1995 and police arrests in areas where hashiriya gather are common, where their cars are checked for illegal modification and if there is, the owners are fined and forced to remove the offending modifications. The expressway racing scene is portrayed in the manga Wangan Midnight, as well as in the biographical (Tsuchiya) Shuto Kousoku Trial.

One of the causes of street racing in Japan is, despite the numerous and famous race circuits, they can become overcrowded. Furthermore, such circuits may cost as much as 20,000 JPY to race[citation needed] (a highway toll may cost less than 1,000 JPY).[citation needed] Also, with Japan's high cost of living; many young drivers prefer to put their savings into, or take out loans on their vehicles where they would usually gather with like minded people at either the Shibaura parking area, the Tatsumi parking area or the best known of the lot, Yokohama's Daikoku Futo service area.

Like in other countries, street racing also occurs on long straights in industrial areas, which are used for drag races, known natively as Zero-Yon (ゼロヨン).

In rural Japan, racers slide around the corners of remote winding mountain passes, as portrayed in Initial D.

[edit]
Street Racing in Hong Kong

Street racing in Hong Kong is very similar to that in other Asian countries and tends to consist mostly of modified Japanese cars and motorcycles. The Hong Kong Police Force, responsible for road safety, are in the practice of placing roadblocks in areas where this commonly occurs.

The Hong Kong street racing scene has spawned numerous movies that have sequences of street racing.

[edit]
Street Racing in Malaysia
Main article: Mat rempit

Street racing in Malaysia is illegal, as is watching a street race; This is enforced by the Malaysian police. Many streets, roads, highways and expressways in Kuala Lumpur, Johor Bahru and other cities have become sites for racing. Among the participants are teenagers riding either motorcycles or driving modified cars. The motorcycle street racers in Malaysia are famously known as Mat Rempit in Malay Language. These Mat Rempit are famous for their "Superman" stunts and other feats performed on their motorcycles. They are also notorious for their "Cilok", a kind of racing in which racers weave in-between moving and stationary traffic at high-speed.

On 12 July 2006, the Malaysia-Singapore Second Link in Johor became a place of illegal racing. The Johor police and the Road Transport Department, with the highway operator PLUS Expressway, have launched major operations to crack down on illegal racing; More than 100,000 people have been arrested in these operations.

[edit]
Street Racing in the United States

There is a strong racing culture in California [18], particularly Southern California[19]. Considered to be the birthplace of North American drag racing[20]. This area was covered in some depth by magazines[citation needed] such as Turbo and Hi-Tech Performance and Sport Compact Car in the late 1990s.[citation needed]

In some cases, this popularity has led to tough anti-street racing laws which give more strict punishments (including misdemeanors for attending race events) than normal traffic citations and also often involve dedicated anti-racing task forces. In 2005, a law in Tennessee was passed prohibiting cars to have nitrous oxide hooked up to, or even present inside a car[citation needed]. Penalties include impoundment of the offending vehicle and/or the suspension or revocation of the offender's drivers license.

Some police departments in the United States have also undertaken community outreach programs to work with the racing community to educate them to the dangers of street racing, as well as to encourage them to race in sanctioned events. Kent's Beat the Heat is a typical example of this type of program. Other such alliances have been forged in southern and central California, reducing the incidence of street racing there
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: I need some info on street racing......For a Sociology F

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Chuck0408 wrote: -Describe the Social Structure.
There is no real social structure. The most popular people are generally the ones that talk the most, not the ones with the fastest cars. To compare it to the social standing of everyday life is easier, whereby confidence prevails. Obviously the faster people are well known throighout the area, but theyre not the ''big dog'' when they roll into the car park, theyre just another average Joe with a fast car. However, street racing in itself is very rarely organised, they often develop from cruises, where enthusiasts meet up to talk.
-How does it make you feel? (well sounds dumb coming from me but people will have different veiws but eventally there will be divisions of people who have similar concepts)
The adrenaline rush from a street race is great. The mystique it has over drag racing at a strip makes it more appealing in a strange way, in that you never know exactly what the other guy has. It can also be frustrating, being beaten by a seemingly stock car, only to find out it has had some serious money spent on it. In the same sense, it can be ego-inflating; beating a stripped/caged car, only to find out it was some 1100cc runaround. The other side of the mystique-induced adrenaline is the danger. You may not only lose the race when you decide to floor it, your licence, your car, and ultimately your life are on the line. Different road surfaces, types, the threat of police, all add to the danger.
-What are your opinions on street racing?
Its idiocy at its most basic. While the threat of losing your life and licence is adrenaline-inducing, its also very real, and I think thats what most people forget. This isnt NFS, this is actual life, if you get caught here, you wont just be crossing a strike off on a screen. People are ever-eager to prove theyre the fastest, but doing it in an environment that includes too many unknown variables to count, other people who are minding their own business, and even passengers is downright dangerous. IMO, people who are caught street racing should have their licences torn up in front of their eyes, and jailed accordingly.

That said, I have done, and still do it. Not with intent, by no means do I ever go out looking for a race. However, if someone is driving dangerously behind me, or if some poser in a worthy car thinks he can step up to the plate, unfortunately I dont always have the will-power and maturity to simply drive on. I can count two instances this week where its happened, involving a Porsche cayman S and an E46 M3 convertible. I have grown up a little though, I no longer feel the need to prove to the local boy racers in their grocery-getters that my car is faster.

In summary, in my opinion, if you want to prove youre the fastest, prove it on a track. Yes you have to wait for the season to open, yes it costs money, and yes you will have to queue to race. However, the cons of being caught on the street far outweigh the pros. Besides, no-one listens to some street racer telling the world how he beat this and that...if he managed it on a track, well people want to know.

:wink:
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Picc84
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Picc84 »

Street racing can have its flaws and its pros... The only thing, is that its dangerouse... VERY! You can get killed if your not smart about it... You should make note of that when writing it... But, like the guy above me said, the adrenalin is amazing... Its just such a rush and espically when you know your going to win... Its not so fun when your talked into racing an Rx7 or a Skyline with a lil' golf or something that isent up to par... The thing with streetracing, is that you have a chance of getting cought. But the odds of a standerd police crusier to catch a 350 hp Rx7 or something... are slim and none...
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

You cant outrun the radio.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:You cant outrun the radio.
true... However you can outrun the cop, hide, then never show your car to the sunlight for about 3 months.

:)
korge
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Theyll still have your plates, though. With the new ANPR cameras too, a mis-match in plates will stick out like a sore thumb.

Return to “The Cars”