steering wheel rulez
23%

Total votes: 22

itay1r
Ricer
Ricer

nfs carbon gamepad or not?

Post by itay1r »

do you guys use gamepad for carbon or not?

b.t.w: i want to buy a logitech rumblepad 2 but i don't know if it supports AMD Athlon processors... do you guys have any idea if it does?
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

I use both steering wheel, gamepad, and keyboard if need be.
korge
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Another poll! Woohooo!

My gamepad died =(.

And any gamepad should work under any processor. It's the OS specific device drivers you need to worry about. Windows's generic drivers will take care of the basic features, but if you want advanced features such as rumble and programmable buttons, you'll need device specific drivers.
MrPalmont
Drift King
Drift King

Post by MrPalmont »

Steering wheel is best, it makes you fill like you are a real driver :-)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

PS2 DS2 here.
Jana
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jana »

MrPalmont wrote:Steering wheel is best, it makes you fill like you are a real driver :-)
yeah but you have to be a real good driver so you can win with steering wheel!
btw,i use only keyboard,i got used to it throught the need for speeds,so thats how i ram them!
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

MrPalmont wrote:Steering wheel is best, it makes you fill like you are a real driver :-)

I was at a gameshop to buy a steering wheel.But somebody said that the wheel isn't realistic.Is true??
EcksOa
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EcksOa »

taz947 wrote: I was at a gameshop to buy a steering wheel.But somebody said that the wheel isn't realistic.Is true??
You'll likely have to spend $150 or more to get a wheel that seems halfway realistic. Most of the cheaper models have something like 200 degrees of movement to them, I think. High end wheels have 900 degree turning radii. Wheels with only 200 degree turning radii aren't all that realistic.

But many games don't support 900 degrees either, and I think NFS Carbon only supports 200, but I may be wrong about that.

NFS is one of those games that don't make much use of real life driving physics. So that might have been part of what was meant there. I use a wheel because I'm just used to using it on racing games. It would take me a while to get used to using a controller pad again. So part of that decision might be what you're used to or more comfortable with.

I think a huge factor for choosing steering wheels with NFS is just that it's fun for the player that chooses it.
Driv2Slow
Professional
Professional

Post by Driv2Slow »

i find it almost impossible to drive with a pad/wheel, i use the keyboard all the time
Driv2Slow
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

Another confirmed keyboard player here - I have tried with a gamepad, but I suck!

I guess it's what you're used to :)
HKSfan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by HKSfan »

I drive with pad, I used to use wheel in U2 because it was fun, but in MW it became impossible coz steering was too sensitive (I turn a bit and car runs into wall) and in carbon I haven't tried with wheel yet :P
Bravo24
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Bravo24 »

I am new to NFS games, (came over from GTR2 where you definitely need a wheel).

I have tried Carbon with both a wheel (Momo) and a game pad (Logitech Rumble).

Like the wheel more because of the better control I have over acceleration, braking and shifting.
To me steering also feels much more comfortable with a wheel than it dioes with a game pad.
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

Jana wrote:
yeah but you have to be a real good driver so you can win with steering wheel!
like me!!! sorry just kiddin' (guess what option i chose...)

taz947 wrote: I was at a gameshop to buy a steering wheel.But somebody said that the wheel isn't realistic.Is true??
depends on the steering wheel. I've got a Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP (couldn't they give it an easier name??...) with force feedback. Although it turns left and right only 100 degrees, it;s very realistic. I bought mine for 80 €, which was quite expensive. I bought it around the time U2 was launched, and it never failed service. I must say i'm very pleased.

I hear a lot of people say they cannot steer with a steering wheel. If youjust try and try, you can even be faster then someone with a keybord. Why:

on a keybord, there's 3 steering options: completely left, completely right, and no steering. Steering slows you down ,so the less steering, the faster you are.
On a steering wheel there are millions of steering options, so you can go through corners fast, without a big loss of speed. Imagine every corner has its own 'perfect steering option'. with a million steering options, you'll go faster then with just 3 options.

well, i hope i made my point and helped some people....
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Very true - analogue steering (and accel/brake) gives you much better control and allows you to more finely manage the turns, and because of the larger movements involved with the wheel, it definitely offers better control than a pad. However, I find that with NFS, things happen so fast in the game that it's difficult to react quickly enough with a wheel due to that same fact - the large movements involved. This is why I use a pad - the best of both worlds.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

GT3x24x7 wrote:Very true - analogue steering (and accel/brake) gives you much better control and allows you to more finely manage the turns, and because of the larger movements involved with the wheel, it definitely offers better control than a pad. However, I find that with NFS, things happen so fast in the game that it's difficult to react quickly enough with a wheel due to that same fact - the large movements involved. This is why I use a pad - the best of both worlds.
Not true when playing a game it isnt meant for. Most Wanted sUCKS with a steering wheel... PGR3 Rules with a steering wheel!!
korge
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

Actually MW is better when played with a steering wheel, I did 2 tests with the same cars on a track and the difference was that with a steering wheel i got with 7 seconds less than with a keyboard.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

BrontoX wrote:Actually MW is better when played with a steering wheel, I did 2 tests with the same cars on a track and the difference was that with a steering wheel i got with 7 seconds less than with a keyboard.
O RLY?
korge
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

Yes rly.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Korge we're saying the same thing - we don't find the wheel works well for NFS, but it does indeed work very well for more realistic games. GTR is one game I would never dream of using anything but my Momo Racing wheel and manual tranny, for example. I never played PGR, so can't comment.

Either way, I believe that both wheel and pad are better than keyboard, in ANY driving game.
Jana
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jana »

i tried nfsu,nfsu2,nfsmw and nfsc on steering wheel!
nfsu2 had the best control so far!but still my fingers are made for keyboard!

P.S.too bad that nfsu2 is such a boring game!
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Jana wrote:P.S.too bad that nfsu2 is such a boring game!
OMG prepare the flameproof suit after that one!
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

GT3x24x7 wrote:However, I find that with NFS, things happen so fast in the game that it's difficult to react quickly enough with a wheel due to that same fact - the large movements involved.
true, it's quite hard in corners like chicane's, where you have to throw the wheel around. But my wheel only turns 100 degrees, imagine you have 900 degrees steering wheel.....

And i raced with a gamepad too. That works as good as the steering wheel (for me) but i like the realism of the wheel over the easier controls of the gamepad.
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

*highfives*
EVO_VIII
Drift King
Drift King

Post by EVO_VIII »

I'm using an analog pad, still having trouble with drift races, the car won't turn even if the tires turned all the way.
RVD wrote:
GT3x24x7 wrote:However, I find that with NFS, things happen so fast in the game that it's difficult to react quickly enough with a wheel due to that same fact - the large movements involved.
true, it's quite hard in corners like chicane's, where you have to throw the wheel around. But my wheel only turns 100 degrees, imagine you have 900 degrees steering wheel.....

And i raced with a gamepad too. That works as good as the steering wheel (for me) but i like the realism of the wheel over the easier controls of the gamepad.
900 degrees....You need a Logitech G25 wheel :p
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I saw one of those logitch wheels selling for $400! It had real leather and a 6 speed shifter that get this, had a cup holder in it!

Return to “Carbon”