NFS Underground 2 Window Mode (NFS:Most Wanted Windower Too)

Discuss editing Need for Speed Most Wanted.
Wiccaan*
Ricer
Ricer

NFS Underground 2 Window Mode (NFS:Most Wanted Windower Too)

Post by Wiccaan* »

Heh, I bet a few of you saw this and said, "Oh great another person asking for window mode.." But, I am the exact opposite :P

Anyway, I joined these forums since they seemed to be the most active for NFS. :D

I come here to bring a tool that I am working on right now. Which will hopefully involve into a little more of a hacking thing then anything, but the main project is window mode for NFS Underground 2. Heres a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

It's not finished yet, and is a bit glitchy right now. Other then that is working great.

I'm not sure if this is considered illegal, but I do know I searched the net for a window mode for this game and gave up and made my own. And I did see on other various forums people asking for it so I figured why not share?

Anyway, I want some feed back before fully releasing this. (Source code will not be included, sorry.) But yea, what do you guys think so far?

--------------------------------------

Need For Speed: Most Wanted Windower
http://home.comcast.net/~wiccaan//NFS/N ... ndower.rar

Need For Speed: Underground 2 Windower
http://home.comcast.net/~wiccaan//NFS/N ... ndower.rar

For developers that want more info on these:

NFS:MW Information:
http://www.extalia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2597

NFS:U2 Information:
http://www.extalia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2375
Last edited by Wiccaan* on 29 May 2008, 17:04, edited 2 times in total.
Rayquaza
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Rayquaza »

Could you tell us the benefits of a windowed version?
Wiccaan*
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Wiccaan* »

Rayquaza wrote:Could you tell us the benefits of a windowed version?
Personally, I don't see any benifits really, I just hate programs that take up my entire desktop. I usually enjoy working while playing a game. So having the ability to watch whats going on, on the game, as well as being able to get work done at the same time.

I mainly play an MMO so Window mode is more of a need for me on that, but I usually am doing more then 1 thing while playing a game and having full screen is annoying with ALT+TAB'ing back and forth.

Most I can say is because this deals with DX hooking, the advantages would be more of a cheating side if anything.

Take it how you choose, it's just something I figured I'd share with others.
Rayquaza
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Rayquaza »

Okay i understand what you mean now.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

seems pretty nice u think the same concept works with other nfs games such as carbon or older games like hot pursuit 2
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

I really see your point since you have MCE and (if you have a TV tuner) you can play the game and watch Tv at the same time...
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Wiccaan*
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Wiccaan* »

S2000_Skyline12 wrote:I really see your point since you have MCE and (if you have a TV tuner) you can play the game and watch Tv at the same time...
Heh, I don't have MCE. Its just a hacked skin for XP. (Hacked UXTheme.dll and a MSS style)

You can get the style, legally and free here:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-En ... inXP.shtml
arabnight wrote:seems pretty nice u think the same concept works with other nfs games such as carbon or older games like hot pursuit 2
Not sure if you were asking a question here or not, but if you were, yes. This would work for the other versions. It would require a little more work for the other versions as I think before NFSU2, everything was DX7 and 8. The wrapper would need to be converted. But for Carbon, it shouldn't need any changes. It might actually work for Carbon already. Only thing is, I programmed Hook.dll to look specificly for speed2.exe and nothing else. I couldn't get Carbon to run on my laptop due to its vid card, and I lost the disk that a friend burned for me, but if I find it I will install it on my desktop and see.

Oh and another note, I have full access to everything in the game doing this. And I do plan to extend this over time. And add a lot of features to it. So I will keep you guys updated on this. If anyone wants to play around with the main Windower itself, lemme know :P
Finalmaster2

Post by Finalmaster2 »

Hmm, can you allow it run NFS:MW and NFS:MW-mod-loader too in windowed mode? I don't really like my current windowed mode of NFS:MW, it's just a big square in the middle of my screen and it can't be shrinken. :|
Wiccaan*
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Wiccaan* »

Finalmaster2 wrote:Hmm, can you allow it run NFS:MW and NFS:MW-mod-loader too in windowed mode? I don't really like my current windowed mode of NFS:MW, it's just a big square in the middle of my screen and it can't be shrinken. :|
I currently don't have NFS:MW myself, I can see if a friend has it, or if I can find at least a demo to find out what version of DX it runs and see what I can do. I can't make any promises about it though.

Unless anyone else here knows what version it runs. If its DX9 I can make this windower do it easily.
Finalmaster2

Post by Finalmaster2 »

DX = DirectX? If so, MW uses DX9, same goes to the Mod loader.
Wiccaan*
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Wiccaan* »

Finalmaster2 wrote:DX = DirectX? If so, MW uses DX9, same goes to the Mod loader.
Ah ok, then you should be able to use this for it :)

Whats the name of the game exe that launches the game? NFS:U2 is 'speed2.exe' as an example. I can pm you a demo to try if you want :)

Oh and if you can, whats the default path to the exe?

NFS:U2 is: 'C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Need for Speed Underground 2\'
Finalmaster2

Post by Finalmaster2 »

It is named as "speed.exe" (the original NFS:MW). Location is "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Need for Speed Most Wanted".

Mod-loader is located in "C:\PROGRA~1\EAGAME~1\NEEDFO~1\speed.exe -mod".

Also, I don't have U2, so if you meant "I can send a demo of U2-windowed mode", then don't. If you meant "I can send a demo of MW-windowed mode", then yes please. :D

Oh, btw. Now that I remember, I do also have information about NFS:Carbons location. It is:

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed Carbon\

I think, that Carbons .exe was named as nfsc.exe, can't remember for sure (I have removed Carbon from my computer so). Also, Carbon uses DirectX 9 too.
TokyoDriftRockz
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by TokyoDriftRockz »

Finalmaster2 wrote: I think, that Carbons .exe was named as nfsc.exe, can't remember for sure (I have removed Carbon from my computer so). Also, Carbon uses DirectX 9 too.
It is nfsc.exe :D
AMD Athlon x2 3600+
Asus M2N-E SLI
2 GB DDR2
BFG 8800GTOC
320 GB/500 GB HDD
Wiccaan*
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Wiccaan* »

Finalmaster2 wrote:It is named as "speed.exe" (the original NFS:MW). Location is "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Need for Speed Most Wanted".

Mod-loader is located in "C:\PROGRA~1\EAGAME~1\NEEDFO~1\speed.exe -mod".

Also, I don't have U2, so if you meant "I can send a demo of U2-windowed mode", then don't. If you meant "I can send a demo of MW-windowed mode", then yes please. :D

Oh, btw. Now that I remember, I do also have information about NFS:Carbons location. It is:

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed Carbon\

I think, that Carbons .exe was named as nfsc.exe, can't remember for sure (I have removed Carbon from my computer so). Also, Carbon uses DirectX 9 too.
I ment sending you a demo of the basic windower for the game. I plan to add more to the Underground 2 version over time, but probably not to the others unless they use DX9 as well, which you said they did. I will try to make something today if I have free time for NFSMW and PM you a link to test it :)

Oh, another quick question, with the command line extension of -mod what does this do to the game? And is it needed for anything important?
Wiccaan*
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Wiccaan* »

Ok had a semi-busy day yesterday so I had no time to work on this but I got a working version done now. Theres a few bugs with it along with the other windower for NFSU2 that I'm still trying to work out, nothing too major but it can cause some serious computer lag if you don't handle with care.

Anyway, heres a pic of the NFSMW windower in action :)

Normal Mode:

Wireframe:

With this windower I don't plan on releasing anything extra besides just the plain window mode itself. I might update it later on if I figure out the issues with the small bugs that these both have though.

Anyway, heres the bug list that I know of currently:
  • Selecting a new resolution while the windower is running will cause it to become fullscreen.
  • When first loading the game, watching the intro movie, if you click off the window the game will stop updating but attempt to still render the game. This will cause your computer to lockup due to process leaking.
    Make sure to click through the intro movie before doing something else.
  • The mouse does not correctly lineup with the ingame mouse.
  • Wireframe mode does not work on the intro movies. (Not really a bug, but incase someone thinks it is.)
To choose a different resolution for your Windower to run at, open the game normally, select the resolution of your choice from the game video options at the start, close the game and run the windower. It should run at your selected resolution. (In later versions you will be able to adjust the size via the INI file on the load of the Windower itself. But for now, you have to adjust it via the game settings.)

Hope this works for you guys and does what you need :)

Download Here: Need For Speed: Most Wanted - Windower By Wiccaan
(I perfer not to use attachments. If this ever gets updated it will be overwritten on my webspace and will use the same link.)

Let me know how it works for ya :D
Last edited by Wiccaan* on 28 Apr 2007, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
Finalmaster2

Post by Finalmaster2 »

Ok, I've been testing it now. It works greatly on Vista Ultimate and XP (Home edition 2002, servicepack 2). I like it a lot, especially the one part, which let's you move the window freely. Only these are the bugs what I discovered (expect your own bugs):

- game freezes some time in random place (fixed by either shrinking the window or clicking the game)
- there is two cursors (NFS:MW's own one and Windows's own)

Also, I'd like to see this window-mod work in MW Mod loader too. :D I know that C++ can be hard, I'm just starting to learn it. Btw, try to make it so, that game read from registry, that where MW is installed, so it is easier to users. Then your mod can just locate the speed.exe from:

\EA GAMES\Need For Speed Most Wanted\

This one I'm not sure, but I think you can also locate speed.exe by using registry (in case that someone has putted game to X:\Games\NFSMW\ for example).

Otherwise good work, but I suggest that you try to fix those bugs + do those things what I suggested.
Wiccaan*
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Wiccaan* »

Finalmaster2 wrote:Ok, I've been testing it now. It works greatly on Vista Ultimate and XP (Home edition 2002, servicepack 2). I like it a lot, especially the one part, which let's you move the window freely. Only these are the bugs what I discovered (expect your own bugs):

- game freezes some time in random place (fixed by either shrinking the window or clicking the game)
- there is two cursors (NFS:MW's own one and Windows's own)

Also, I'd like to see this window-mod work in MW Mod loader too. :D I know that C++ can be hard, I'm just starting to learn it. Btw, try to make it so, that game read from registry, that where MW is installed, so it is easier to users. Then your mod can just locate the speed.exe from:

\EA GAMES\Need For Speed Most Wanted\

This one I'm not sure, but I think you can also locate speed.exe by using registry (in case that someone has putted game to X:\Games\NFSMW\ for example).

Otherwise good work, but I suggest that you try to fix those bugs + do those things what I suggested.
The registry thing is done in the other windower for NFSU2, I just quickly tossed this together for the basic Windower itself. I prefer reading from the registry myself as well and it's not hard, just a bit more code and I was half-assing it this morning half asleep lol.

Glad to hear it works for ya though. As for the freezing, the Window might be losing focus causing it to freeze or something. But I didn't see any freezing problems myself.

As for the cursor, I don't really think I can get it to align correctly without majorly hacking the DX cursor in the game, other then that I can just disable, or have an option to, disable the real mouse pointer.
Finalmaster2

Post by Finalmaster2 »

If you're going to disable a cursor when playing MW, then disable Windows's original one. When playing normally MW, there is no Windows's cursor to be seen, only MW's.
Wiccaan*
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Wiccaan* »

Finalmaster2 wrote:If you're going to disable a cursor when playing MW, then disable Windows's original one. When playing normally MW, there is no Windows's cursor to be seen, only MW's.
Yeah, thats what I ment.
Wiccaan*
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Wiccaan* »

Ok! Got some updates done this morning on the Need For Speed Most Wanted windower as requested :D

- [ADDED] Window size adjustable via the INI.
- [ADDED] Setting the cursor to show or not via the INI.
- [ADDED] Setting the border to show or not via the INI.
- [FIXED] Small code errors and other minor issues.
- [FIXED] Game path now read from the registry.

With these new settings, as said above, you can now set the Window size inside the INI instead of having to do it via the game and having to restart it. You can also force the cursor to not show any more as well as remove the border of the Window.

In future updates, the mouse cursor and window frame will be toggle features that you can turn on and off during game play at your own will :)

Download Here: Need For Speed: Most Wanted - Windower By Wiccaan

(Be sure to clear your browser cache before downloading so you get the newest version!)

Again, enjoy!

- Wiccaan
Last edited by Wiccaan* on 28 Apr 2007, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
Finalmaster2

Post by Finalmaster2 »

Good, works excellently at my computer! :P Though I'd still want it to read NFS:MW- Mod loader too, I don't play regular MW anymore, since I convert cars to MW.
Wiccaan*
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Wiccaan* »

Finalmaster2 wrote:Good, works excellently at my computer! :P Though I'd still want it to read NFS:MW- Mod loader too, I don't play regular MW anymore, since I convert cars to MW.
Oh bah I forgot about that, I will add another feature to the INI for the custom launch extensions later tonight for ya :)

Could I get some info on the mod loader? Is the -mod extension included in the default speed.exe? Or is it a hacked / patched exe that you guys have made yourselves? I haven't played NFSMW in a while nor modded it ever so I never used it.

Any info on it will help me with this :D
TokyoDriftRockz
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by TokyoDriftRockz »

Mod loader is a thing made my arushan (sorry for spelling), aka the first person to ever make a custom made car for Most Wanted. The mod loader is used so that we can make/convert cars to most wanted and play/use them in game.

Mod loader comes with the Ferrari 360, and can be downloaded here.
AMD Athlon x2 3600+
Asus M2N-E SLI
2 GB DDR2
BFG 8800GTOC
320 GB/500 GB HDD
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

I noticed a slight lag between key press and response time on screen. This may be a side effect of running the game in windowed mode, but I experience no lags when running the game fullscreen.
bakalhau
Ricer
Ricer

Post by bakalhau »

Why does my CPU get overloaded when playing at 800x600? The game runs like a charm at 1200x800 on full screen... Thanks for your work though.

Return to “Editing”