PGR4

Video games, video games and video games! Racing games, console games, fps, rpg, The everything about video games board.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Re: PGR4

Post by race_invader »

Woops! yeah it's just R8..
Tyrant
Professional
Professional

Post by Tyrant »

Just played the demo, it's pretty cool.. But I have 3 racegames ATM, and I haven't completed a single of them (including PGR3), so I not buying it now.. Maybe later :).
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

The rain drops and the realism are unbelievable!IMO it's the best arcade simulator till the release of PGR 5! :P
Last edited by taz947 on 20 Oct 2007, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Lan.Evo.III
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Lan.Evo.III »

PGR & GT: Not simulations in my mind. PGR is too arcadey, all it brings to the table is pretty graphics, and a lack of trees on the Ring. GT no damage, enough to turn me off right away, I can crash into a wall, and go into intergalactic flight.
Also, according to many people on my friends list, there are like two or three differances between this game, and PGR3(New tracks, Cars, and weather, not enough to make me pay $100AUD).
And, PGR is having issues with who owns it now, seeing as Bizarre are no longer the owners. Odd twist of fate, considering they created the game from scratch, and are no longer allowed to develop it.

Forza Motorsport will always be the number one simulator in my eyes, considering it has everything a real racing simulator needs, great tuning, a paint dock that you can turn into your own video game Photoshop, and an endless list of cars, that keeps going on and on.
My $0.02.
Tyrant
Professional
Professional

Post by Tyrant »

taz947 wrote:IMO PGR4 beats Forza Motorsport's bumbum... :lol:
The rain drops and the realism are unbelievable!IMO it's the best racing simulator till the release of Gran Turismo 5 :)
Lol, PGR4 is not comparable with Forza 2. PGR = Arcade (winning with Kudo's? blabla), Forza 2 = realism (downforce, gear ratio's etc). So it's useless to say that PGR4 beats Forza.

And than you say PGR4 is the best racing simulator? ROFL, you gotta be kidding. I think GTR wins it. PGR4 is the best arcade racer I guess... It's quite lame to say PGR4 is the best racing simulator because of 'the rain drops are unbelievable' anyway :roll: .
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

lol,

PGR never was a sim, it was always a arcade racer, just like NFS is.
I personally did like PGR2 alot, it played it alot on a XBOX I borrowed from someone, I got PGR3 with my 360 but sadly I wasn't very impressed with it for some reason, it did not feel as much fun as PGR2 did.
I'll try the demo for 4 and see how it is.. it looks pretty good, but that's just GFX.

Forza is not comparible with PGR, 1 is a sim, the other a arcade game...a simple as that.
PGR does have some nice cars that are really missing in Forza...

I hope that if there are DLC's again, that they are not Online only, cause that sucked MAJOR BUMBUM in PGR3.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Lan.Evo.III wrote:PGR & GT: Not simulations in my mind. PGR is too arcadey, all it brings to the table is pretty graphics, and a lack of trees on the Ring. GT no damage, enough to turn me off right away, I can crash into a wall, and go into intergalactic flight.
Also, according to many people on my friends list, there are like two or three differances between this game, and PGR3(New tracks, Cars, and weather, not enough to make me pay $100AUD).
What you fail to see is that GT5 Prologue and GT5 are both going to have damage, but if you happen to crash into a wall in Gran Turismo, it's one of two possibilities: it was an accident, or you're a crappy driver.
Lan.Evo.III
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Lan.Evo.III »

I'm not a crappy driver, I just started my real racing with Forza Motorsport. And then when I did play GT4. I come speeding through a tunnel, and seeing as I found no source of tuning my cars, no downforce, there just wasnt enough traction on the cars, as soon as a slight bend comes, the handling sucks more than TDU, and boom, I land on the moon. Tell me how that is realism?
And lets see this arguement here, GT5. You need a $800AUD console, to play a $120AUD game, OR you buy a $500AUD console, and get the game for $80AUD. A game with far better realism, that has proven it's worth in two games, whilst GT started getting crap once the PS2 came out.
My $0.02.

Also, PGR4 = Rental game. Same with all PGR games that arnt PGR2, which I still class as the best PGR to be made.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Umm... No offense to people but i think this is going way off from just talking about the game since we are comparing Forza 2 to PGR4... :|
Lan.Evo.III
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Lan.Evo.III »

I'd like to say this about PGR4. And only Aussies will get it.
This game, and their developers are like Ben Cousins. It has been said(Devolopers = Cousins. Game = WCE)
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Lan.Evo.III wrote:I'm not a crappy driver, I just started my real racing with Forza Motorsport. And then when I did play GT4. I come speeding through a tunnel, and seeing as I found no source of tuning my cars, no downforce, there just wasnt enough traction on the cars, as soon as a slight bend comes, the handling sucks more than TDU, and boom, I land on the moon. Tell me how that is realism?
And lets see this arguement here, GT5. You need a $800AUD console, to play a $120AUD game, OR you buy a $500AUD console, and get the game for $80AUD. A game with far better realism, that has proven it's worth in two games, whilst GT started getting crap once the PS2 came out.
My $0.02.
...And here's my 2 cents:
1. You obviously don't look hard enough for your tuning. And you seem to have forgotten the fact that there IS ACTUALLY A BRAKE BUTTON! Overlooking the fact that your sudden tumble into the wall in GT4 was caused by bad driving in the game, is not using your head. You can't expect to pick it up just like that and suddenly you're burning hot laps around the Nurburgring, this game takes time to perfect (and I found out the hard way by attempting to complete the licenses...).

2. "And lets see this arguement here, GT5. You need a $800AUD console, to play a $120AUD game, OR you buy a $500AUD console, and get the game for $80AUD. A game with far better realism, that has proven it's worth in two games, whilst GT started getting crap once the PS2 came out."

Since being released over 10 years ago, GT has sold over 43 million copies worldwide, and contrary to your belief it hasn't been copping shiznit since released on PS2, GT4 recieved nothing but praise when it was released. And also contrary to your belief, GT5 is more realistic, heck, even GT4 could be more realistic than Forza. AND by the time GT5 releases, the PS3 will probably have another price drop. Oh, and Gran Turismo has proven its worth in four, quite exceptional games. Even the PS1 versions are considered gems now, with GT5 Prologue just around the corner.
Tyrant
Professional
Professional

Post by Tyrant »

GT4 don't have a damage model. Don't sound very realistic to me.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I played the PGR4 Demo today and even though I didn't really like the Ring in snow race, specially with a Bike... :?

But I toy'd abit with the Bikes and you can do some very nice stuff with them, pretty funny I have to say, and you can get some major Kudos with bikes...

It is a pure Arcade racer just like NFS, and even though it doesn't have damage and tuning options and it also lacks real Porsches (I know there are Ruff versions but it's not the same...)I think I might like the game,i'll wait a while before I get it cause I am not going to pay 59.99 E for it, btw when I was in the store I noticed Juiced 2 is even more expensive them then most games, it was 65 Euro.. man even Halo3, PGR4 and FM2 are cheaper (ok FM2 was more when it came out...:?)

BTW can we get back on topic and not make this a FM vs. GT discussion?
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I'll finish that discussion with this:
Tyrant wrote:GT4 don't have a damage model. Don't sound very realistic to me.
Really the only reason a damage model wasn't on GT4 is because of the limitations of the PS2 when you chuck in the almost-real-life graphics, 700 cars, real-life physics, lifespan, etc. etc. Due to the 35 times more powerful PS3, all of those things mentioned are in GT5 along with damage, pit animations, full in-car view (something that Forza doesn't have), and +a couple hundred more cars due to the new Ferrari and F1 licenses. Now you can go back to PGR4...
Tyrant
Professional
Professional

Post by Tyrant »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:I'll finish that discussion with this:
Tyrant wrote:GT4 don't have a damage model. Don't sound very realistic to me.
Really the only reason a damage model wasn't on GT4 is because of the limitations of the PS2 when you chuck in the almost-real-life graphics, 700 cars, real-life physics, lifespan, etc. etc. Due to the 35 times more powerful PS3, all of those things mentioned are in GT5 along with damage, pit animations, full in-car view (something that Forza doesn't have), and +a couple hundred more cars due to the new Ferrari and F1 licenses. Now you can go back to PGR4...
I know why there wasn't a damage model. But that still means it's realistic! They could have get out some cars.. There are much PS2 games with damage, so this isn't an excuse.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

:roll: .....
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Tyrant is right,

Sure GT4 is huge but also due to the load of useless stuff that is in the game.
they could have left out ALOT of cars and still have (almost) all cartypes, cause what they did is put in 2500 Nissan Skylines in every race livery there EVER was, almost all with the same specs and every thing, same goes for several other cars, and not to mention USELESS cars like the Model T Ford, you are not going to race that cause you will fall asleep of boredom.
If you ask me Forza 2 already has some cars double with the same specs, wich I don't really need, like several R3 class Supra's and Skylines (FM1 had more doubles and they removed some of them for 2)But they are not even close to the amount of cars that where doubles in GT4.

I did like that they added some less known sportier cars in GT4.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I'll give you that, the Japanese-centric car showroom is stupid, because there's over 25 different types of Skyline, all with the same power and torque, about 10 different types of NSX with the same power and torque, and about 10 different types of 350Z with the same power and torque... you get the picture.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Honestly, this is really going overboard.. You guy's are still comparing when you said you would stop. :lol:
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

But really, appart from the Forza/GT war, is there really much to talk about with PGR4 apart from you posting more pictures? Didn't think so.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Yes true but at least its on topic..
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Audi R8=great car

I sense some serious compitition heating up between Gran Turismo and Project Gotham Racing........

To be continued...

(Dramatic music)
oh snap
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

The whole GT5 vs PGR4 discussion was ended 5 months ago, mate.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Did anyone download the new DLC? :) Its pretty sweet!

Free Challenge Pack (Free)

One new car for PGR4 (hydrogen-powered 2007 Peugeot Flux, winner of the 2007 Peugeot International Design Competition)
Player Requested Tourist Mode - hitch a ride with a friend around any game city
Free Roam Cat and Mouse - One slow mouse vehicle tries to run away from enemy cats
10 New Achievements

The Premium PGR 4 Challenge Pack gives you seven new cars-the 2008 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible Concept, 2007 Volkswagen Golf GTI W12-650, 2007 Peugeot Flux, 1987 BMW M3 E30 DTM, 2007 Ferrari 430 Scuderia, 2008 Honda S2000 CR, and 2008 Callaway C16 Speedster. You get three new bikes-the 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1, 1995 Aprilia RS 250, and 1998 Aprilia RSV 1000 Tuono R. Plus, new World Challenge Arcade Mode gives you 20 arcade events in 3 themed chapters, including 5 events that can only be done on platinum. In Tourist Mode, get a free ride with friends around any game city. In Free Roam Cat and Mouse, a slow mouse vehicle runs from enemy cats. Ten new achievements fill out the pack.

I will post images of the cars later, at the moment there is a problem with the site where the images upload, they are trying to fix it though so hope i can have some up.

Return to “The Games”