Computer Help Thread

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Computer Help Thread

Post by PSZeTa »

Do you have more detailed specs?

Look if your fan is connected directly to the powersupply by a 4-pin molex or with a 3-pin to the motherboard, and if your graphics card is properly seated in the slot.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

You need a new PSU, i recommend Chieftech, Sirtec, Forton, Corsair. Or maybe the motherboard doesn't support something. But try the PSU first, i recommend a 400W one.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

PSZeTa wrote:Do you have more detailed specs?

Look if your fan is connected directly to the powersupply by a 4-pin molex or with a 3-pin to the motherboard, and if your graphics card is properly seated in the slot.
Couldnt give you actual specs sorry, however i can give you a list of what it has from what i know of (Its prolly crap but still, just want it to work.)
---------------------
DDR2 RAM 1GB
Intel Desktop Board D102GGC2
Nivida Geforce 7600GS
PSU: 400W
HDD (SATA): 250GB? Not sure
Intel Dual Core (New CPU)
Zalman Zalman CNPS9700LED CPU Cooler (New CPU Cooler)
--------------------

The case fan has a 3 pin and directly connected to motherboard, CPU fan also has 3 pin but connected to fan controller then connected to motherboard & when i do change them around to check the CPU fan doesnt work so its only 1 slot that is not working. Graphics card is fully slotted in and screwed in.
BrontoX wrote:You need a new PSU, i recommend Chieftech, Sirtec, Forton, Corsair. Or maybe the motherboard doesn't support something. But try the PSU first, i recommend a 400W one.
I do have a 400W PSU. :)
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

If your CPU is a Core 2 Duo then your motherboad doesn't support that CPU and you have to get a new mobo.

And idk if the 7600GS has a 6pin power thingy but connect it if it has one.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

My graphics card has a fan but it only connects on the graphics board not motherboard. :? Oh and it does support Core 2 Duo ive looked up my board and it says (Multi-Core Support: Dual-Core) and was told it supports it the CPU fits 775 etc and is pretty much like my old single core one just the diffrence its Dual core.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

http://support.intel.com/support/mother ... 026580.htm

It only supports Pentium 4, Pentium D and Celeron D. So if yours is a Core 2 Duo E-something then your motherboard doesn't support the CPU, it says Dual core cuz it supports the Pentium D which is Dual core but a bad dual core and are rare now so i doubt you have a Pentium D, so buy a new Motherboard.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Its not that much for a new motherboard that supports dual core yeah? also i dont wanna erase my HDD or buy more new stuff just so it all works, so just get a Motherboard that properly supports it and then put all my stuff onto it, then should work yeah even the CPU still? dont really wanna pay another $370 or so again, just for the same CPU again.

Cheers for the help.
-------
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

Well these mobos should works and unless you have more than 2 IDE devices you can have everything you had until now (though you MUST reinstall Windows so try to get your hard drive to another PC and back-up everything you need on a CD or something):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 813130082R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 813131142R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128077
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 813131189R
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

BrontoX wrote:You need a new PSU, i recommend Chieftech, Sirtec, Forton, Corsair. Or maybe the motherboard doesn't support something. But try the PSU first, i recommend a 400W one.
A quick conclusion if you don't know what the exact problem is and how not-environmentally friendly the computer is. :?
race_invader wrote:My graphics card has a fan but it only connects on the graphics board not motherboard. :? Oh and it does support Core 2 Duo ive looked up my board and it says (Multi-Core Support: Dual-Core) and was told it supports it the CPU fits 775 etc and is pretty much like my old single core one just the diffrence its Dual core.
By the 6-pin cable, he meant an additional cable to provide extra juice for a graphics card (usually on more powerful ones) because the PCI-E slot only cannot provide enough to let it run.
race_invader wrote:Its not that much for a new motherboard that supports dual core yeah? also i dont wanna erase my HDD or buy more new stuff just so it all works, so just get a Motherboard that properly supports it and then put all my stuff onto it, then should work yeah even the CPU still? dont really wanna pay another $370 or so again, just for the same CPU again.
Your motherboard most likely doesn't support Intel's newer generation dualcores. (Core2Duo is an Intel brand that refers to their latest gen dualcores) Buying a new mobo should have everything working.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

PSZeTa wrote:
A quick conclusion if you don't know what the exact problem is and how not-environmentally friendly the computer is. :?
Well i thought he had a compatible mobo (as i assume that everyone asks or documents oneself before buying something to see if it works) so if the fans don't spin and the gfx card isn't on, i would assume it is the PSU, so don't bash my conclusion.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

I don't see any bashing towards you, I'm just saying it could be something that's easily solved, thus preventing race_invader wasting his money on a PSU that doesn't solve his problem.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

That smiley kinda told me that you were bashing my conclusion but if you say you didn't bash it i am sorry.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Thats for the help, buying a mainboard now. But do need to know is my new CPU alright to put into the new board cause i did try the computer but didnt run it long seeing nothing was working had it running for about 5mins or way less.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

Can you rephrase that, i didn't understand what you mean at all.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

If it's certain that his new CPU will work in the mobo he's getting, because it didn't work in his old one.

I can't say for sure, I've never tried a Core2 on a old-gen mobo and never seen somebody do it either.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Ah okay ill explain more seeing i have another problem.

I brought a 'Asus Mainboard P5K-SE' and supports my Intel core 2 Duo, ive set it all up and connected everything in its right place but now ive got no picture, everything else works fine.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

Double check the connection especially the monitor and video card connections and see if it's in correctly, if all is good but still no picture then if you have a friend with a PCI-E video card ask him to give it to you for a bit and see if there is any change, if still o, then try his monitor and see if the monitor works with YOUR video card if with his monitor and your video card you have picture then you have to buy a new monitor.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Cant get to another computer with a PCI-E video card since most of their computer have old mainboards, which mine will not fit in. Is there any other thing i can do to check it?
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

Well not really,go to a service or something and tell them to try a new vid card and/or one of their monitors.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

Carcrazy wrote:Okay, this is just gay...

My computer is running extremely slow for some reason, from startup to shutdown, almost 90% of the time no matter what percentage of the CPU and RAM are being used. If I try to run something like winRAR, even though it only uses 30% (even distributed among all four cores,) it'll almost freakin freeze. Infact, it run's faster when it's at 100% than it does at 30%. Cool & Quiet isn't set that low, so I don't think that could be a cause... the fan is set to stay at 70% maximum power, even when the processor is cool... I have no idea what's causing this. I would say the CPU is faulty, but I've run stress test after stress test for hours, and even days with no errors...

Any ideas? (I'm starting to miss AMD...) :cry:

Temp reports:
While the CPU is running at 100%, (4 stress tests)
----65c-67c----
That's pretty normal for a quad. And I know what some ppl are going to say, get an aftermarket cooler, yes I know... it's on my list. :wink:
Intel CPUs will throttle performance as temperature rises and, w/ those temps, it's entirely possible that the CPU may be throttling itself to prevent itself from dying.

I would try reseating the HSF possibly w/ some better thermal paste (i.e. Arctic Silver 5). You may also want to check to see if there is an updated BIOS for your motherboard that may address this issue.
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

My HDD shnizit himself, it won't boot no more. I got a 200gb IDE WD, I don't know what happened, but no power goes into it, all my data are lost.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Um... are you asking a question? :lol:
If you need your data, try taking/shipping the hard drive to a data recovery service.

@ Jmac: I think I know what the problem is, (once again my laziness to check everything bites me in the butt...) I , (don't ask me how the hell I managed to do this,) but i somehow filled my tiny 80GB HDD in a week. :lol:

Although you could easily be right, I really do need a heatsink, which I may try getting this week since I have some extra cash. :P
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

That'll do it, especially if you have a system managed page file ...
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Okay my computer is 100% working etc just one small problem.. My USB Mouse will not work, i connected it in the USB port the mouse lights up but i stilll cannot move it. Any ideas? Im just 1 problem away to having my lovely computer back. :)

I have tried 1 other mouse but that just lighted up but couldnt move the cursor.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

race_invader wrote:Okay my computer is 100% working etc just one small problem.. My USB Mouse will not work, i connected it in the USB port the mouse lights up but i stilll cannot move it. Any ideas? Im just 1 problem away to having my lovely computer back. :)

I have tried 1 other mouse but that just lighted up but couldnt move the cursor.
I can only recommend one thing at this point: get a PS/2 mouse. :lol:

Actually, I'm sure there's a way to get it working but, simply put, I don't know how and getting an older mouse is the only thing I can recommend for you.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”