[NFS PS]Aerodynamics and performance tuning

2007 Need for Speed ProStreet
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

[NFS PS]Aerodynamics and performance tuning

Post by peterfaj »

When autosculpting aerodynamics, what is that drag thing? From my experience it is more important than downforce and grip (when using same car, opponents just ran by me, then I lowered downforce and increased drag and I could win (another funny thing is that I had a nissan gtr with highest peformance parts and they had nissan skylines and mitsubishi lancers)) at least in grip racing. Is drag the air r

And I'd also be happy for help for performance tuning.
How should I tune (both aerodynamics and performance) for each game mode?
grnkjr0
Ricer
Ricer

Re: [NFS PS]Aerodynamics and performance tuning

Post by grnkjr0 »

Hey

Well..

I have used the widebodykit for grip and speed - with no downforce at all. It is my experience that you get the best times in both with no downforce. However this is not the best way to improve your times on grip - turning off ESP and ABS is really an improvement.

In drag - i never use any bodykit, spoiler or hood - and surdenly no downforce at all.

To give you an idea if these setting really are an improvement - i linked a couple of videos:

5.39 sec 1/4 mile with Supra

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_abP8Y7b6WY

2 min 11 sec video of A-54 Interloop on Autobahn using 911 turbo

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9WHoCy0n0s

Speed Challenge on Autobahnring A in 52.77 sec ( my best is 52.47 ) using the Lambo

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GTSFhn4xHc
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

not sure about that... apparently the downforce is supposed to improve cornering stability, and it sure does help me stay flat during a turn, but installing a widebody kit is a bad choice-only use it for speed...

So, here's the basic equation...

widebody=more stability at high speed, shocking with turns

Spoiler=more downforce, better stability again

regular bodykit, even more downforce, can improve cornering

so, the best equation for speed is widebody+drag spoiler, Grip is regular kit with normal spoiler!

And, yes, in Prostreet if you increase downforce, it will inevitably reduce top speed!
oh snap
grnkjr0
Ricer
Ricer

Post by grnkjr0 »

Well..

Using downforce in grip most surdenly slows me down in cornering - believe me - i have played 15000 races online.
But that could be car and controller related - my 911 t slows down using downforce - mind you I am on keyboard.

However the Lambo gains nothing from installing a widebodykit and spoiler on Autobahn A.
Try installing a widebodykit and a spoiler - and compare against a stock lambo - there is a huge difference on the Autobahn A.

Try comparering 52.47 sec - my time - with your widebodykit and spoiler installed Lambo.
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Hi!

To be honest, I never tried the Aero settings in Grip, always used Widebody 100% downforce. But in Speed, I tried it and, at least in Nevada, I was much faster with Widebody 100%.

grnkjr0, you are really a good keyboarder! :) I saw your laps and must say I was surprised, although Autobahnring is one of those where I think Digital looses less to Analog. So, as curiosity, I also checked your setups and as expected your cars are too stiff for Analog (in Carbon it was the same, with Digital and Analog Setups). So, if you change to Wheel you must make them more soft in terms of suspension, mainly. Besides that is just small adjustments, which will be related exclusively with your driving style, not so much the controller.

Cya and again congrats for your Driving,

Rogério

http://www.youtube.com/VGSpeedPro
http://hosted.filefront.com/VGSpeedPro
grnkjr0
Ricer
Ricer

Post by grnkjr0 »

Thank you Vgspeedpro - nice of you to say...

I can never get your times with a keyboard - I lose too much time in acceleration and cornering - I know - however i did 2 min 10 sec 32/100 on Autobahn interloop today online with 911 turbo - beating the Zondas - easy to do so when they are poorly driven.

However I think you should try to see if you can tell a difference with or without a widebodykit and spoiler on the Lambo on Autobahn A - I improved my time by 1 sec - without.

Again THX :)
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Hi!

I will try the Lambo and will let you know! :) I dont believe I can improve much because I am already very close to the limit. I think I do 52.1s with both Lambo and 911 Turbo. I am always faster with 911 Turbo except for Autobahnring C, where I do less 0.5s with Lambo (1m 59.3s).

I can also record a video in Interloop with 911 Turbo, if you want to see the differences. I think I did 2m 07s Offline or so. Still, I guess your 2m 10s with Keyboard are better then my 2m 07s with Wheel, really! ;)

Cya soon!

Rogério

grnkjr0
Ricer
Ricer

Post by grnkjr0 »

Hey

Yes - making a video of the Autobahn A-54 Interloop with 911 turbo would be awesome.
I predict a time around 2 min 05 sec - I think you are about 2 sec faster on first lap and about 1-2 sec in each of the rest laps.

With Lambo I think maybee you can do under 52 sec - because you accelerate to topspeed in 6 sec - it takes me 7. 1/2 sec. And I am much faster with Lambo than 911 turbo on Autobahn - don´t know why - maybee it´s my setup!
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

damn, my stage 3 911 Turbo isn't fast enough for Rudy Chen...

Do any of you have any usggestions for Ryo's first speed challenge? I've got Viper with 700hp, widebodykit, random spoiler and all stage 3...
oh snap
grnkjr0
Ricer
Ricer

Post by grnkjr0 »

Hey

You guys might be right on using a spoiler, widebodykit with maxed downforce is faster !

I did 52.30 sec on Autobahn A today with my Lambo - or maybee I just got lucky - I don´t know.

The trick on this track is to reach topspeed on the early minor bumps in the beginning - and not lose to much speed in the curves. So maybee I just got lucky :)

I have tried different bodykits with maxed or no downforce before - testing for hours and I was always faster without downforce. This means I have to check all my speed and grip cars - to see if improvement is possible - Arhhhh.

Thx - for bringing this to my attention - maybee i did something wrong before - I don´t know.

I took a picture of the 52.30 sec with Fraps - and did a video afterwords in 52.32 sec - so I guess my earlier time wasn´t as good as I had thought.

Again thx Striker94 and Vgspeedpro :)

P.S

I uploaded the picture to filefront - didn´t want to put video on youtube.com again so soon...

Link of photo 52.30 sec Lambo http://gallery.filefront.com/Grnkjr0//935277/
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

you seem like a pretty good driver...

Were you using a steering wheel?

And I finally beat Drift king! Now all that's left is Ryo+Nate Denver!
oh snap
grnkjr0
Ricer
Ricer

Post by grnkjr0 »

I am using a keyboard
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Hi!

I tried the Lambo with and without Widebody, and in Autobahnring A I am still faster with Widebody kit, but the main diference is that the car is more stable and consistent with more downforce.
In Practise Mode I did 51.7s with Lambo and 51.6s with 911 Turbo. I will try to Record a Video but in Race Conditions, since this is usually the way I record videos in Speed Challenge! ;)

About 911 Turbo in Interloop, I did 2 tries and my best was 2m 06s. I will see what I can get on video.

I only had 30m to joke around, today before leaving to work. Yesterday after Girlfriend had to practise Unreal Tournament III because I am about to start a Cup! ;P

Cya soon!

Rogério

grnkjr0
Ricer
Ricer

Post by grnkjr0 »

Hey Vgspeedpro

That damn wheel is aceelerating faster than lightning. I saw your video on Autobahn C - so i tried to do a race on my own - i couldn´t do under 2 min. I did 2 min flat in practise mode and 1/2 sec more in a race.

I compared my video with yours - and it looks like I don´t lose speed along the race - that isnt´t a problem - however it takes me forever to reach topspeed - damn.

I have allready ordered a logitech G25 on the net - because losing this much time from the beginning isn´t too much fun - arhhh.

Looking forward to your videos - thx again :)
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

grnkjr0 wrote:I am using a keyboard
that's some pretty slick driving for a keyboard...

I'm a shiznit driver, but great at drift...

I use PS2 controller. Did you use the cheat to get all stage 4 parts?
oh snap
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Hi!

Yesterday I recorded some videos. In Interloop with 911 Turbo did 2m 06s. I know I can go to 2m 05s, but the problem is that the setup I use in that Car was developed for Portland International Raceway, and so I have some problems with consistency on the limit, due to the bumps. I can do 2m 06s easaly, but managing to do 3 extreme laps, it will take time unless I start to work on the setup for this particular track, which is hard now, due to lack of time. Anyway, my best Laps, at least that I noted :P, was 43.9s in 1st Lap, 39.9s if I use 2 Nitro Shots or 40.9s if I just use 1.

As for Speed Challenge, unfortunately I couldnt do less then 52.0s in Autobahring A... What we loose for starting in the back damages quite a bit, especially because in the place of the grid were we start we have less traction then in the part where we start in practise mode. I can record a 51.6s in Practise, but I feel this 52.0s is probably equivalent to 51.5s.

I will upload the videos soon, probably in the next 5h! :) Also I perfected some lines and now I think I can probably do under 1m 59s (In Race) in Autobahring C with LP640. Maybe I will try later! ;)

Cya!

Rogério

grnkjr0
Ricer
Ricer

Post by grnkjr0 »

Hey Vgspeedpro

Well - i just knew you could do 2.05 at Autobahn A-54 interloop :) - and a video of "only" 2.06 would sure be awesome too. I understand the setup changes being needed for this particular track because of the bumps - but don´t change your setup - a time of 2.06 sure is plenty fast .....

My laptimes was way slower - 1st lap of 47.47 sec and 2nd 41.40 sec - 3rd lap 42.76 sec - that is the video I uploaded. However I have done 46+ on first lap many times so i think with a perfect run I can do just under 2.10 sec.

But 3 laps to be perfect on this track is kind of difficult - no damn hard i think.

As I would have thought I lose a lot in the beginning ;) - but my laptimes on the next 2 laps are ok - compared to you using a wheel - I think. :)

And about the Autobahn A - a time of 52 sec sure is fast - considering that one starts behind all the other A1 cars.

And congratulations on discovering a better line for the Autobahn C - always nice when that happens - and an improvement on that track by 1 sec is actually a whole lot. :)

I am looking forward to your video being uploaded - thx again.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Can you please, anyone, help tune my car for each game mode? Thanks. I'm a n00b.
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Hi!

To grnkjr0: you can forget that this track is quite good for keyboard, as I had said before. The thing is that the corners are all quite open and short, and on top of that we have plenty of NOS, which compensates the exit corner speed you may loose with Digital. Try to do a Race without NOS and I can do the same, and I think you will see the time difference increase. It will be an interesting test.
But the most interesting is to use a Track where there are all kinds of corners like Autopolis GP. See what you can do there. I believe that in this track we can trully see where Digital stands compared to Analog. I know that with 1 NOS Shot per Lap I can do 1m 14s/1m 15s in 911 Turbo.
About Autobahnring C the improvement I think I can get will be around 0.5s, but since my best with LP640 is 1m 59.3s, we will see! :P I will try it this weekend. Today will be hard... Have to clean my House after work! :S Girlfriend is coming over! :D

To peterfaj: mate, go to EA Official Foruns (EA US/Canada). There you can find dedicated Topics for each Race Mode, with suggested Cars and Setups! ;)

Cya!

Rogério

grnkjr0
Ricer
Ricer

Post by grnkjr0 »

Hey Vgspeedpro

About the no nos track test - ok

Don´t know about Autopolis though - only run there in career 5 months ago - would take some practice.

But I don´t know when I can make this - because I am getting my arm checked on hospital monday. I have a problem with my albow - It needs surgery later on.

P.S
Now I have gotten the F1 - awesome car - hard to control all the muscle and torque. But it is a lot faster than my zonda - Autobahn A-54 Interloop can be done in like 1.50 sec - I think. I did 1.54 online today with 4 other players
(including Hansdomiphil - who called me a cheater - omg).

I will post that no nos test shortly :)
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Um, guys, do you think that we could get back on topic?

If you want to talk about your lap times, why don't you just send them via a PM?
oh snap
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Striker94 wrote:not sure about that... apparently the downforce is supposed to improve cornering stability, and it sure does help me stay flat during a turn, but installing a widebody kit is a bad choice-only use it for speed...

So, here's the basic equation...

widebody=more stability at high speed, shocking with turns

Spoiler=more downforce, better stability again

regular bodykit, even more downforce, can improve cornering

so, the best equation for speed is widebody+drag spoiler, Grip is regular kit with normal spoiler!

And, yes, in Prostreet if you increase downforce, it will inevitably reduce top speed!
Downforce sucks the car to the road and increases cornering grip, stability (corner and straight line) and improves handling... however, it will come at the sacrifice of top speed as drag is created on body kits to increase down force.
Now... about wide body being shocking with turns... if that is the case, then EA have absolutely screwed up, as widebody kits allow for wider track (wider tyres, wider car ETC), and that improves handling massively... why do you think touring cars are widebodied?
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

yep, that's what I thought as well...

My experience with wide-body kits tells me that they're far more stable at high speed, but low speed carners are taken far slower.
oh snap
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Is it right that downforce decreases speed so vastly? I mean, race cars all have huge spoilers which make downforce...
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

peterfaj wrote:Is it right that downforce decreases speed so vastly? I mean, race cars all have huge spoilers which make downforce...
It's not that vast... but touring cars have them because they're not designed to reach a top speed, they want to get around a track as fast as possible, so they have to corner well.

Return to “ProStreet”