Your views of NFS UNDERCOVER

2008 Need for Speed Undercover
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Your views of NFS UNDERCOVER

Post by peterfaj »

KammyworldRacerGT4 wrote:Meh. I just got it for the PS2 and personally, I don't see what the fuss is all about with Undercover. This game, while not holding a candle to Most Wanted, isn't all that bad (yet). Personally, I find it a good game, though not great. This game is (dare I say it) fun, perchance? But let's see how long it lasts...
I, too, first thought it was fun. Damn, was I stupid.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

Played a little more yesterday and I just found out that I can still go 90 MPH in an Evo 9 with slashed tires. :roll:

So far, it's still going good. The story is starting to lose its luster, and the background disappears at times, but I'll live (the background issue happens in Underground 2 as well).
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I got a copy for the Wii for Christmas. It's still not a bad game, but it looks like it came straight off the PS1. Yes, before someone says "It's a Wii, what do you expect?" I DID have Pro Street for the Wii... it was actually fun. And the sky didn't look like it was friggin' midnight while the road is lit up so bright you can't even see half you car.

As for the 360 version? Maybe I'll barrow it from someone when my console gets here. I still stand by a thumbs up for the PC version. :wink:

Oh, and another thing... don't expect to be able to go from 360/PS3/PC to Wii/PS2, it's not going to happen. It's like the heroic driving engine doesn't even exist. It feels like nothing more than a silly moving camera that like your riced-out slow as hell car. I feel that I could pull a 180 more easily in Pro Street simply by turning in a RWD car to quickly, or simply pointing the controller in some friggin' odd position that your car seemingly does a 90 degree turn to the right, then to the left, and does a little back flip like a chiwawa on meth.

Maybe I shouldn't review a game after I watch Zero Punctuation for an hour anymore... :lol:
aneesh99
Ricer
Ricer

Post by aneesh99 »

I have to agree with everyone that said it's crap, IT IS!!! There are frame rate issues on 360, and even on my PC, even though I run 280GTX's in SLI!!! I had to use a custom d3dx10.dll to get it to run properly, when I can run Crysis on full at 1920x1080 with AA at x8!!! Poor acting (and lame cutseens), crap story, too easy, short (all in all a typical NFS) not a great game engine on the whole to be honest. I for one have always been advocating to go back to an Underground style NFS, or a Hot Pursuit 2 style. For me, the series dropped off after MW, and MW wasn't that great anyway. The only reason I continue to play is in the vain hope that EA finally heed to the gamers that religiously buy their games and make a decent NFS, and because no matter how crap the game, they always come out with a decent soundtrack!!! I have always defended NFS (most famously on the PC Gamer Forums!) but even I have pretty much given up that EA will actually stop making sorry ass crappy games. If you need a list, here I go; NFS:UC/PS/C, Crysis, BF:Bad Company ....... and people can keep adding if they like. So ends my rant.......
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
g u c c i
Ricer
Ricer

Post by g u c c i »

Indeed it has a lot of flaws but it is a playable game nonetheless. :)
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

I totally agree. For its problems, Undercover is far better than Carbon, but just a bit lackluster to ProStreet.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

aneesh99 wrote:...I have pretty much given up that EA will actually stop making sorry bumbum crappy games. If you need a list, here I go; NFS:UC/PS/C, Crysis, BF:Bad Company ....... and people can keep adding if they like. So ends my rant.......
I like Crysis :( And it's not even made by EA.
aneesh99
Ricer
Ricer

Post by aneesh99 »

peterfaj wrote:
aneesh99 wrote:...I have pretty much given up that EA will actually stop making sorry bumbum crappy games. If you need a list, here I go; NFS:UC/PS/C, Crysis, BF:Bad Company ....... and people can keep adding if they like. So ends my rant.......
I like Crysis :( And it's not even made by EA.
Well, Crytek, but esentially the same, it's like saying that Battlefield isn't made by EA (developed by DICE) but really, it is EA, they have the say in this because they're the videogame powerhouse, and you need them to fund you. Look classically ( I don't think I spelt that right!) at any recentish game with an EA logo on it and they suck (in my opinion, and excluding Burnout: Paradise. BTW, I'm not saying the game is really crap, just the franchise needs a new direction. Maybe move it away from BlackBox in Canada to another studio, because another classic pattern is BlackBox games suck (hello NHL!!!) And what the hell is up with EA's Heroic Driving Engine??? What's wrong with Renderware? It worked fine on Burnout: Paradise, and that looks better!!!
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

You probably haven't played Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and FIFA09 - all published by EA, released in November last year and all superb. Stop generalizing.

Blackbox did not make NHL.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Exactly. Saying any new game by EA will be crap is exactly like saying any new game by Nintendo will be amazing. You don't know what it is. If this thread was a review of the game, then IMO (IN MY OPINION) this game would be underrated (not amazing, but decent if it IS underrated).

BTW, Criterion owns Burnout, not BlackBox.
AleX_BridGeS
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AleX_BridGeS »

I get average performance with NFS Undercover, 8800m GTS, C2D T550, 3GB of RAM, everything maxed out except for shadows(which look very very VERY ugly) and sometimes I get pop-ups of buildings but it isn't that bad, and get an average of 30-60 FPS. I heard though there was FPS problems too by using a cracked/pirated game, something related with paul.dll or whatever.

Anyways, to me NFSUC is like Most Wanted + Pro Street, I haven't finished the game yet so I don't know how the storyline would be, all I know is the basics that you're a undercover cop bla bla bla bla(don't remember). Overall it's an average game, as long as I can customize my cars and race/get into a pursuit I'm fine with that.
benzino
Stock
Stock

Post by benzino »

Best I ever played, even better than MW, graphics are stunning, cars are perfect, garage is biggest ever I think, music is awesome... Story is good... 10/10
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Graphics were crap, in my opinion... even on the consoles, especially the Xbox.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Andre_online wrote:Graphics were crap, in my opinion... even on the consoles, especially the Xbox.
Um...aren't graphics usually crap on the consoles? Actually they're good, but they're usually better on PCs.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

Except for PS3. Metal Gear Solid 4 is as astounding as you can get.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

I bet it could look better on a PC. Btw, what's all this mgs4 fuss? I guess the scenes can be made in a way too look good and not overload the gpu too much.

And I can predict the next post will request us to go back on topic. And something tells me the poster will be Pabl0z, but I'm not too sure about that.

EDIT: DAMN!
Last edited by peterfaj on 30 Jan 2009, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
T0MMY
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by T0MMY »

Nfs undercover sucks

bad:
1.lame and boring story line
2.bad graphic(mw graphic still looks better)
3.bad cutscene(mw is better)
4.short gameplay
5.annoying cops

good:
1.big carlist
2.highway battle is fun
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

peterfaj wrote:
Andre_online wrote:Graphics were crap, in my opinion... even on the consoles, especially the Xbox.
Um...aren't graphics usually crap on the consoles? Actually they're good, but they're usually better on PCs.
I thought consoles are supposed to provide better graphics, which is why some console games aren't released for the PC platform.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Andre_online wrote: I thought consoles are supposed to provide better graphics, which is why some console games aren't released for the PC platform.
Well, I think it makes sense that it's better on the PC. Maybe the graphics were better on consoles on their release dates, but now consoles are already outdated. If you still have doubts, check this out: http://www.gamespot.com/features/620255 ... lt;title;0.

But I think we should end this discussion.
DarkTetsuya
Ricer
Ricer

Post by DarkTetsuya »

I must say I was somewhat disappointed with this year's entry... After having rented carbon on the wii and loving it enough to eventually buy my own copy, it was enough to get me back into the NFS games again... I heard mixed reviews of ProStreet so I just skipped it, but was willing to give undercover a chance... It had a few shining moments (like one cop chase I managed to evade from by jumping a bridge away from the cops and just waiting it out on the other side... it was a rush.)

My main issue (besides the strange missing cars from the 360/PS3 versions, traded for the 'CE only' cars in those versions), is that some of the end-game tollbooth runs literally require a high-end car like the zonda... And even after you complete the game, you don't get squat as a reward! at least in carbon they had plenty of 'reward card' cars for you to unlock... and the R8 as a reward for finishing the game. Undercover's 'challenge series' rewards are pretty lame too. four 'mega challenges' with a 10K reward each? Not really worth the effort, I think.
_Zephyre_
Ricer
Ricer

Post by _Zephyre_ »

It was quite a disappointment, honestly, especially for something that was clearly aimed as the spiritual successor of Most Wanted.

I'm not sure about the framerate problems, though, since I run it perfectly high on around medium settings(but with a crap resolution) in pretty dated hardware.

It really fails to give the same impact Most Wanted did. The atmosphere is gone. The feel of the city is gone. The quality of the police chatter seems to have taken a step down from the previous games. Now it feels forced, and more than one person sound like they're having sore throats. I don't know what people are saying about the graphics looking the same as Most Wanted, though. I think they're a major improvement.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Well, today I got Undercover for my PS2.

And I must say, it's WAY better. For once I feel like I'm playing a game and not trying to force a piece of junk to run. Better graphics, no frame rate problems and overall easy to play.

Boy am I glad I got this game for PS2. This means I can might as well delete Undercover from my PC.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Better graphics? o.o
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

If his PC can't handle Undercover well, then sure, better graphics on the PS2. On his end, at least.. :)
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

They look ugly on my PC, identical to that of the screenshots t3ice provided.

So yeah, it's better on PS2. Plus there are no frame rate problems. Overall I'd give it a 6.8 or 6.9. The lack of cars is meh though. No Bugatti Veyron...

Return to “Undercover”