The RX7

2003 Need for Speed Underground
dreadxx9
Ricer
Ricer

The RX7

Post by dreadxx9 »

hi was wondering if you could help me when i drive the RX7 i cnt handle it i mean when i go rnd corners i slide which makes me loose my lead even when goin straight i cnt do it but with every other car i can handle just fine. is there a certain way you handle the car or am i just shiznit with that car? btw im using keyboard
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Its all about taking the racing line round corners. If you dont want to loose traction, take the racing line and ease off the accelerator going into the corner, then push back on coming out of it.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
iceburn
Ricer
Ricer

Post by iceburn »

well for me the rx 7 is a pretty easy car to control .. compared with the others. i find it goes thru corners quite well ..

like grez said .. cut down a lil on speed when cornering .. and accelerate again after ....
Last edited by iceburn on 30 Jul 2004, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

The RX7 is prolly my favorite car in the game. For drag racing I've got a nice S2000 that I like to use but the RX7 can haul some serious a**.

I'm with grez on this, and I'll try to explain a bit of what I think he means about the racing line. In racing, especially on tracks, you try to do INSIDE OUTSIDE INSIDE OUTSIDE, you want to get as close to the edge as you can on the inside of a turn, then get as close to the outside edge on a straight, that way, you can cut the corner very closely. I know that RX7 is fast and I can understand your troubles with it, but you have to understand, as unrealistic as the game is, you can't just slam on the gas and expect the car to take every corner at 180+mph. Also, it seems as if you just need to practice with the car more. I'm in the middle of going through UNDERGROUND MODE with every car in the game. I'm using the Ford Focus right now, making this profile #12, if you click the PROFILE PROJECT link in my sig you'll see the cars I've used.

I've managed to go through underground with all of those cars, so it's not impossible. I think it's really just finding the car you like and using it to your advantage. I've actually found the Ford Focus to be an amazing drift car, I've nailed several 100,000-190,000 point drifts with it on TRACK 6, scoring over a million points in 10 laps.

Most every car has some sort of thing that it's just a little better than the rest at. THe S2000 is great for drag racing, but so is the RX7. The Subaru is a pretty good drift car, but so is te focus. The Integra is actually an amazing circuit racer, but so is the RX7.

Hopefully all this has helped a little. If you didnt read all that then the main points are, practice and more practice.
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

: shock : I am finishing my 3rd profile and Im very tired of play...

RX7 is a very good car, like MX5. With RX7 I make over 550.000 points in a single drift (circuit 2).

You only need skills enough to control it, but the good thing is that gives you many points in drift mode :) A suggestion: Forgot your hand break/normal breaks when using any Mazda in drift. I only use accelerator, left and right 8) If you need to brake, reduce the gear. And never go in 3rd gear, only 1st and 2nd.
BTW I also use keyboard.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

My description using paint of an example of the racing line. The red dot represents the path of the vehicle.
Attachments
untitled.JPG
(26.27 KiB) Downloaded 13010 times
SkAtEr6BoY
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SkAtEr6BoY »

yeah you need to do it like he said so you need to brake in the start to o a quick turn and then accelerate your ca and thats it no problem
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

Another thing that will help is to keep the engine RPM as high as you can at all time. The RX7 can climb through the gears very quickly, so if your in 5th gear at about 7-8,000rpm when you go into a turn, whether you let off the gas or brake or both, you'll have to downshift into 4th. I try to keep my RPM in any car as close to the redline as I can, but sometimes there's just no need to shift and you max out and then let off the gas and the car slows itself down enough that you dont switch gears at all.

Practice.
Morniemacar
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Morniemacar »

The Rx7 is one of my favorites, in the stadistics, is the fasterst car, and the handling are better than the others but i f you want the best handling use the RX7 lil brother "the MX 5 Miata" but that car have only one problem, is not fast as RX7
Om3n-PL
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Om3n-PL »

all you people with your rx7..... i finished the game with a lancer... my top speed is firetruck crazy.... ill overlap you anyday
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

youll try ;)
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:youll try --> wish ;)

:D
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

.... The Lancer? Mmmhm, thats why no one uses it right? Everyone that does circuit uses the Miata, RX7, Integra, and the Skyline. The Lancer just doesn't have the acceleration to keep up with the RX or the Integra.
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Hey if it was Lancer Evolution it may been a challenge.
But it is a Lancer ES; FWD!

Don't think that most people drive the RX-7 just for speed, it sucks at grip driving, sadly to say, that is true.
It is fast on the straights, but if used properly, its oversteering can save your butt easily.

I got other techniques, challenge me anytime if you see me under the name: RSSweeper.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Sp3aK wrote:.... The Lancer? Mmmhm, thats why no one uses it right? Everyone that does circuit uses the Miata, RX7, Integra, and the Skyline. The Lancer just doesn't have the acceleration to keep up with the RX or the Integra.
Don't forget about S2000, which, if you ask me, is the best, even better than that boxy, big, Skyline. :P
Warlord
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Warlord »

I like the Rx7 but its not good as the Skyline even the S2000 is not good as the Skyline.The Skyline is needed to beat Eddie and Melissa otherwise you'll have to eat their dust.In my opinion the Skyline is the best and then its the Rx7.Too bad EA didn't put the Skyline GTS in the game coz it looks way nicer than the GTR.
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

mmm...the lancer in the game is a bad car, it has no great performance in any kind of race.
I like a lot the drive style with the integra, but I think for drift the best are RX-7 and S2000, they are fast and if you use properly the oversteering you'll get a lot of points. If you don't like the oversteering control you can do a good drift with a impreza too.
@warlord: sorry, I don't agree with you 100%...I think skyline is a great car, one of the best surely, but it all depends by your driving style. I've beaten Eddie and Melissa with a civic first, then with a eclipse and with a RX-7 too (and with the skyline aswell), so I think the thing is to have the car you feel better.
for drift is the same, if you don't make great drift with the RX-7 perhaps it's not the better car for you, try with some other and compare :wink:
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Well, I plan on trying to beat Melissa with a Lancer actually, just for the fun of it.
I have beaten them with underpowered cars, but that isn't so strange actually, it was easier that way than with lots of power.
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

After drifting a lot, I have noticed Mazda RX7 seems to be even lighter than MX5 is!!! it is my feeling...

About Melissa, I bet you are not able to beat her with the 350z. It is funny, Z vs Z, but too difficult ;) I needed to restart about 70times until win her. In my 2nd profile with MX5 I only needed 2times :D
keiri
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by keiri »

The best drifter in the game is the Impreza IMHO; 380,000+ in 4 laps on Drift 6...with an average of 200,000+ in 2 laps on the same track. It owns all other cars drifting...but the RX7 rocks for solid circuit and sprint races (even though the Miata is the better ride in Circuit).

Keiri
Sergio
UMP Lead Producer
UMP Lead Producer

Post by Sergio »

keiri wrote:The best drifter in the game is the Impreza IMHO; 380,000+ in 4 laps on Drift 6...with an average of 200,000+ in 2 laps on the same track. It owns all other cars drifting...but the RX7 rocks for solid circuit and sprint races (even though the Miata is the better ride in Circuit).

Keiri

some people are just nerds :P
(refering to yourself???? :lol: TheStig)
´07 Opel Astra 1.6 TURBO
´97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Rs (Sold)
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

I've gotten that much in a 240SX, I don't see much special in the Impreza.
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

Ok lets get some things layed out.

First @Warlord.... Are you f*in kidding me? Click the link in my sig that says THE PROFILE PROJECT. I've completed underground mode with all of those cars, and I'm going to do it with all the other cars too. The RX7 smokes the Skyline in circuit races and even in drags. I don't know where your getting your information from. Either that or you just never play the game so your not that good at it.

Second @keiri.... On drift track 6 I can get over 100,000 points every lap using an all lvl3 Ford Focus. The Impreza isn't as good of a drifter as I thought it was because in 2nd gear it's hard to get the RPM's up so that you can keep your slide. BUT, that said I haven't messed with the specs trying to tone down the handling and keeping the performance up.
LancerevoVIII
Ricer
Ricer

Post by LancerevoVIII »

I agree with sp3ak here. Skylines are good, no doubt about that, but they arent the best. Ive beaten them with RX-7s and even Integras. (im known as a skyline killer in NA central) so to say skylines are the best isnt that much truth.
Getting back to the thread topic, In my opinion, Rx7s are the best all around cars. They Excel in circuit, rock in drift, and are good in sprint, Theyre a bit touchy in drag though.
But the RX-7 Is definetly one of the best cars in the game.
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

In short races, the Skyline may be a pain, it accelerates quickly thanks to high Torque values and 4WD.

But on longer races, it lacks top end guts and is slow reaching it, once you pass 4th gear, you are in for some o slow accel.
Thats where the RX7 starts to pick up the pace.
Hig revs 5th gear is the ultimate speed for the 7 and 4th gear is the best acceleration gear on the RX-7.

As for the Impreza, best I can do chained on it is 50k.
Just won't do anymore, can't gain revs sufficiently.
Thats why I like the RX-7, It responds to my actions, and I have an average drift speed of 120 KPH though I miss more power in it now.
The trick is, to balance the car, then I don't mean just driving with crappy tires, you need to balance engine power as well to the suspension, transmission.
Read the tips section at http://www.redsuns.net (If the host has gotten it back up again :roll: )
My RX7 is balanced and it rarely does the spins that I see normal people do (Overdrifting, then all of a sudden turning 180 Degree's)
Thats why my driving is very dynamic and now it is mainly pure routine when I drift.
I am also pretty fast on the drift track, I haven't had anyone that could keep up with my pace.

Well there was one some time ago, in a Celica, in the end he tried ramming me, but in the corners, I were faster than that Celica so I quickly lost it.

That the RX7 is a good car, there is no where around, but it has its weaknesses.

It is FR, easy to trigger a spin in, can lose traction at any time, mostly caused by ramming (Not a
problem for some people, some people love when it loses the grip.)

May understeer at some corners and lose grip (When pushed hard to its limit)

But once you know these things, you can make the RX-7 run like you want and prevent anyone from taking you down.
And when I drive, I mostly focus on my opponent, to read his skill, driving style and lines.
Then adapt my skill and the RX-7's limit to it.

In short, the RX7 is an incredible machine once you get used to it, but it is hard to beat the 206 without a proper technique since the 206 is able to accelerate in corners while the RX7 only keeps speed.
But with proper driving technique, you can get around that.

Return to “Underground”