Need for Speed SHIFT First Hands On

Need for Speed SHIFT News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Need for Speed SHIFT First Hands On

Post by Bojan »

In mid February I attended the Community Day event at EA UK to play the latest installment in the series: Need for Speed SHIFT a game now around 3 years in development. Shortly said, we can expect something completely different this year, if you want the details read on or simply view my
Need for Speed SHIFT Hands On article.

5 new exclusive screenshots

SHIFT Quick Facts
* First person view with detailed fully functional customizable cockpit
* Realistic and detailed driving engine
* True damage model
* Full replay
* Visual and performance customization
* 16 car races
* Lenghty career with several challenges
* Real world tracks

Additionally you can check out the following
* SHIFT Producer Jesse Abney answers your questions
* Slightly Mad Studios: An Introduction
* TCM Hungary's video interview with producer Steve Anthony
* NFS.com forums preview
* First Look @ NFS-Planet
* NFS Freaks Preview in Dutch
* Video interview with EA Games' Patrick Soderlund on Gamespot
Strafer
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Need for Speed SHIFT First Hands On

Post by Strafer »

Looks insane :D
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

*sound of jaw hitting floor*

The graphics look amazing. They were on the XBox 360, I assume? Any word whether that level of detail will transfer over to the PC ports? And did you get to experience any visual or performance customization? If so, how would you rate it compared to previous games?

After playing the game, which previous NFS would you say comes closest to it in terms of physics and gameplay?

BTW, the lightbox script on the screenshots page isn't working for me.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

No we actually played the PC versions using a wired 360 controller :)
And yes it did look amazing.

Unfortunately no customization, only racing...

NO NFS game comes close really! The driving engine is SLIGHTLY MAD :D :D :D

Did you wait for the page to load completely? Lightbox source loads at the bottom because of certain IE issues.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Yeah I did. I'll make a topic in the Comments section to keep my issues out of this thread.
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

WOW it looks awesome, feels like a Pro Street 2 only more realistic.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Bojan wrote:No we actually played the PC versions using a wired 360 controller :)
And yes it did look amazing.

Unfortunately no customization, only racing...

NO NFS game comes close really! The driving engine is SLIGHTLY MAD :D :D :D
Screenshot looks insane. I guess all of us have to make some compromises one way or another - there's no such thing as 'best of both worlds'. :P

Just wondering, is that screenshot taken during replay mode?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Oh yeah... I totally missed the fact that there's a replay mode. *drool*

I'm more excited than a 8-year old at a Hannah Montana concert.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

I thought you're the one who told me to 'not buy' (not be hyped up) the stuff just yet until EA's released a substantial amount of information about the game. :P
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Yeah, but look at the screenies :-P. Plus, I have to give a little respect to Bojan. If he says the game felt amazing, there has to be something to it.

EDIT
Bojan, would you mind if I took a few excerpts from your article to include in the Shift wiki?
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

I did go personal in the hands on article - mostly because I was really impressed with the game. A lot more than with previous games tbh :)
I'm not too much of a fan of hardcore sim racing games, but this one did feel good, especially with all the detail it has. Forgot to mention the brake calipers turn red when you're hitting the brakes hard.
Also on the difficulty level: in a little competition we did I was first with a 50.2s laptime. The AI on hardest setting did 46-47s laps. And we did get about 2 hours of practice...
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Sounds promising. Finally, what EA wanted. Their very own GRID killer.
korge
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

This really sounds promising - especially about the brake calipers. Then again, all of these might just be gimmicks. I shall not be carried away. I mean, I'm not doubting, but at the same time all of this seems too good to be true, let alone coming from EA..... :-k

I'm gonna wait for more stuff to be revealed. =P~

Back to the game, does this mean dyno tuning will be back?
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

It is like..."Good News on a Bad Day"... Really, I was expecting something like that these days, about NFS Shift! :!:

Truly... I was going to ask Bojan about the Replay-Mode in NFS Shift, but then I thought about... this News :roll:

I love Replay's since "Gran Turismo 2" and to be the honest... I missed them since "Need For Speed" Hot Pursuit! :wink:

The thing about "mastering" every cars control throughout the game sounds really authentic... It's like in RD' GRID'!

I mean I had to "master" drifting in Subaru Impreza or in this GReddy Mazda RX-7 => That's a huge difference! :!:

Need For Speed Shift is definately something that is really comparable to the Real Racing Experience! I'm :shock: 'd!" :twisted:

@Bojan!

"Thank You 4 the News, Screenshots and Your Hands on Article!" 8)
African_HITman
Ricer
Ricer

Post by African_HITman »

Since It's A Track Based Game.... Will There be Drifting?? [-o<
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Looking at how things are shaping up, I'd like to think that there will be, but I highly doubt so,
African_HITman
Ricer
Ricer

Post by African_HITman »

B'coz i would love to see a replay of me doing a sick drift
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

African_HITman wrote:B'coz i would love to see a replay of me doing a sick drift
Yeah... exactly something like that... or something different... :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Keeping in mind what Bojan said about the physics feeling very realistic, I doubt there will be any drift races, simply because drifting is hard enough as it is. Factor in a powerful car, and it's a recipe for disaster. I'm sure you'll be able to perform drifts while racing though, as usual.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

korge wrote:Sounds promising. Finally, what EA wanted. Their very own GRID killer.
I just doubt that EA will kill GRID. I can honestly say I'm disappointed after reading this article. Bojan, it is nothing personal against you, but I think you clearly exaggerate when you write about an upcoming NFS. Last year it was the same thing with Undercover, everyone that read your reviews would think that the game would be really good, and it turns out it wasn't... can't you tell the truth because EA don't allow you to or that's really what you feel? :?

As for the text:

"But that's not all - the cockpit is fully functional, meaning working rpm and speedometer dials, HUD in the Corvette, fully functional rear view mirrors, they even went so far that if you look down (you have interior free look) you see the driver's legs moving when you shift gears, hit the brakes and gas!"

Wow amazing! Something I've never seen before... again EA giving detail to things that don't really matter and everyone getting hiped because of that.

"I can say that each car handles very differently and mastering a powerful car like the Zonda will take a lot of effort and preferrably an analogue controller."

Same thing you said with Undercover last year...

"And what's best is that's not all Shift has to offer. Expect lenghty carreer with several challenges, 16 players races, online vs. real people, several real world tracks and tracks based on real locations (like downtown London), full customization, both interior and exterior, performance tuning and something that hasn't been seen in an NFS game for a while now: full race replays."

That's it? Where's the innovation? Several real world tracks, several challenges, full customization, both interior and exterior... that's detailed? That's a shiznit info IMO.

I'm sorry if I sound too negative, but I'm starting to get sick of this. Every year Bojan or someone else writes great things about an upcoming NFS game: it will be this and this, and great and amazing, bla bla bla. And every year it turns out that everything was either lies or then a fanboy writing. :(
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Who cares about innovation? Give me a good racing game, and I'd take that over a flashy innovated racing game that fails in the racing aspect. My point being that there are very little key elements to making a good racing game, and all of them have been employed by some game or another, making innovation a hard thing to do. EA/Slightly Mad are focusing on the hardcore gamer, meaning giving them the real experience. In such a case, every little detail matters. It matters if your rearview mirrors work or not. It matters whether you're an actual person or just a camera. It matters if the screen goes blurry after you/your car takes a hit.

Shift will appeal to a different kind of gamer than the recent NFS have. But whether or not Shift will deliver is, I agree, a whole different question. Fact is, some of the people to whom Shift will appeal to will get excited over it as they're finally getting what they want from EA.

Also, if you read the article and read his responses, you'll find that Bojan was only allowed to experience a very small portion of the game: only racing a few select cars on a track. He has no idea how detailed the customization aspects will be, he's only been told that they exist.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

I said "sounds promising" ; not "is promising"

I personally know the PC version will flop without a doubt.

With graphics like this, and wasted PC power spent animating a "detailed" and living cockpit, I can guarentee that online play with 16 people (most of which will have a medium spec PC) will lag like a mother beyond anything.

Also, do not forget the bug-filled Undercover. Pictures do not correlate to a smooth ingame experience.
korge
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

"Change Your mind, Guys... Your expectations are too high and remember, that nobody is perfect!" :roll: :roll: :roll:

@Korge!

"If You ask Me... NFS Shift will be the Best Racing Game this Year! I do not doubt about it, I'm sure!" !-o
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

prince1142003 wrote:Who cares about innovation? Give me a good racing game, and I'd take that over a flashy innovated racing game that fails in the racing aspect. My point being that there are very little key elements to making a good racing game, and all of them have been employed by some game or another, making innovation a hard thing to do. EA/Slightly Mad are focusing on the hardcore gamer, meaning giving them the real experience. In such a case, every little detail matters. It matters if your rearview mirrors work or not. It matters whether you're an actual person or just a camera. It matters if the screen goes blurry after you/your car takes a hit.

Shift will appeal to a different kind of gamer than the recent NFS have. But whether or not Shift will deliver is, I agree, a whole different question. Fact is, some of the people to whom Shift will appeal to will get excited over it as they're finally getting what they want from EA.

Also, if you read the article and read his responses, you'll find that Bojan was only allowed to experience a very small portion of the game: only racing a few select cars on a track. He has no idea how detailed the customization aspects will be, he's only been told that they exist.
I care about innovation. But yeah, that's asking too much atm. EA can't even deliver a good racing game, so releasing a good and innovating racing game is beyond their capabilities.

It matters having all those details when the actual gameplay is good. But nothing is said about the gameplay so far. Improved physics, harcore racing, bla bla bla. Every year I read the same thing, and it always turns out to be not as good as they promise.

I know that Bojan was only able to play a little bit. But then, why referring that? Most of the things he reffered he didn't try out, so it doesn't make sense. Full customization? That's what EA says... but for them that "full customization" is 3 different and ugly bodykits and similar parts.

Anyway, I'm just saying that I don't like what Bojan writes. Every time he makes the reader believe that the game is going to be great, and then it turns out it's not going to be. I'm just bored of that... can't he say the truth or be impartial?

TRANSFORMER: My expectations are really low atm, believe me. I think this game will be full of shiznit details and with a really bad racing environment and gameplay.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

The following needs to be the

OFFICIAL NFSUNLIMITED.NET QUOTE OF THE YEAR
Hydro_PT wrote:I care about innovation. But yeah, that's asking too much atm. EA can't even deliver a good racing game, so releasing a good and innovating racing game is beyond their capabilities.
korge

Return to “News”