Need for Speed SHIFT Exclusive Q&A

Need for Speed SHIFT News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Need for Speed SHIFT Exclusive Q&A

Post by Bojan »

We got a chance to send Need for Speed SHIFT producer Jesse Abney a set of questions which we collected from our community in the forums. Now the answers are back and there's quite a few surprises. Namely the vinyl layer limit, aftermarket body parts, Laguna Seca and much more.

Read the Q&A article

Our next Q&A session is planned for in a couple of months, so keep posting questions you'd like answered in the forums.
supervolvo240
Ricer
Ricer

Re: Need for Speed SHIFT Exclusive Q&A

Post by supervolvo240 »

This is great, I am really starting to look forward to SHIFT.
These "surprises" better be good. Interesting cars, tracks and game modes are always nice. A 1000 layer vynil limit is nice too.

Shift sounds great.
The power,
the glory
of having a fast Volvo?
zip_mdd
Ricer
Ricer

Post by zip_mdd »

OMFG... 1000 layers limit... that f*** great...thank you god... and EA also... :P
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Can I just say Forza?

The vinyl layer limit was a pure shock. I was expecting maybe a 50 layer limit instead of 20. But 20 times that? That should lead to quite amazing customizations. Glad that Shift will feature authentic aftermarket and manufacturer parts with a few artist creations, rather than relying entirely on artist creations. I have to admit though, he did a good job of not answering whether the body kits will be available in separate parts (bumpers, side skirts) or if they'll be like ProStreet. Kind of disappointed that there won't be a Dyno, but by the way he makes performance upgrades sound I have to admit I am curious to see how performance tuning will be carried out. I also love the fact that he declined to answer whether we'll have a My Cars mode where we can customize cars outside of Career; he only mentions Quick Race and Online ability.

While this Q&A answered quite a lot of questions, I'll definitely be looking forward to the next one.

BTW Bojan, were these the only questions you sent in, or were there more? I'm asking because I still have some of my old questions that didn't get answered, and I don't want to ask them again if Jesse declined to answer them.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Regarding the questions; just post whatever you have, that's not already listed in the topic. Also the more we know about the game, the more detailed the questions should we so we can get new info in the answers.
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

"I need a few Details about the Drift-Mode... and some Cars that will be available there... Any Info's?!" :roll:
DriftingFan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by DriftingFan »

a 1000 vinyl layer limit is very nice to have. wonder if anyone will actually be crazy enough to max it out...
"Fuel burning fast on an empty tank." Cake, The Distance

PSN ID: DriftingFan
Moe-Z-
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Moe-Z- »

"1,000 vinyl limit" O_O ! Omg I thought 40 layers again like pro street. 1000 layers. DAMN !!!!
*sig removed for breaking the rules. size limits are 550x120px & 50kb*
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Post by TheNoobofFerraris »

Yeah, I think the customization and tuning is what's starting to win me over.
Last edited by TheNoobofFerraris on 16 May 2009, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
Seems like this website is a ghost town. No longer worth a visit or anyone's time.
driverx15
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by driverx15 »

DriftingFan wrote:a 1000 vinyl layer limit is very nice to have. wonder if anyone will actually be crazy enough to max it out...
haha oh im sure there will be many.

Bojan, i also have a few questions.
1. will there be a separate driving engine for drift racing?
2. will we see a drag mode?
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

That's some good info. I'm really looking forward to see the bodykits and other tuning parts. I hope it's a mix between real parts and the game creators' parts.

As for the 1000 vinyl layer is just crazy. :O

Now we can really create unique paintjobs... I can't wait to try it out.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

driverx15 wrote:Bojan, i also have a few questions.
1. will there be a separate driving engine for drift racing?
2. will we see a drag mode?
You should post your questions here instead of in this thread. That way all questions are in one central location, making it easier for Bojan to go through them.
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Licensed aftermarket parts, Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, Road Atlanta? They're making my fantasy driving game. SMS ftmfw. And I'm sure Andy and Carl will put out some nice kit designs (most likely wide-body kits like we've seen on the Porsche and crazy canards and splitters like we've seen on the Audi - which look like they've been done in fairly good taste).

Regarding the vinyl limit... Is it 1000 per side like Forza? Or is that total? If it's total, that can be maxed out fairly easily if you're trying to make a replica or a complex fantasy livery. I used over 900 layers of vinyls just on one side of a car for a replica I did in Forza. If there was a 1000 total layer limit, I definitely couldn't have pulled it off (The car probably had 2500+ layers when I was finished and I still was missing a couple decals). Not that I'm complaining - 1000 layers far exceeded my expectations for Shift. :P
prince1142003 wrote: I have to admit though, he did a good job of not answering whether the body kits will be available in separate parts (bumpers, side skirts) or if they'll be like ProStreet.
Isn't that what he meant when he said "body kit upgrades can be applied independently"? And if they're licensed parts, I'm sure they'll be available separately.
prince1142003 wrote: I also love the fact that he declined to answer whether we'll have a My Cars mode where we can customize cars outside of Career; he only mentions Quick Race and Online ability.
Jesse said "on the topic of My Cars and Online this is a pick-up and play feature that's still available in SHIFT". How is he avoiding the question? I'm pretty sure that means there will be some sort of My Cars mode outside of Career. And where else are you gonna drive those cars other than Quick Race and Online if it's outside of Career?

Jesse's answers aren't perfectly clear, but that's how I interpreted them.

Also... I have a feeling the NFS community is going to blow up when this game is released.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Pick up and play can mean that you can play races without having to go through career. It could be like ProStreet where you could use only your career cars and special cars in quick races. So saying that it'll be pick up and play says nothing about a My Cars feature outside of career.

And I agree, I expect a total explosion from the NFS community.
TW1ST3R
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
Location: Pigfarts Intergalactic School of Witchcraft and Wizardry; Mars

Post by TW1ST3R »

1000 layers! OMG i cant wait to get my hands on this! cant wait till theres a Shift CTC it'll be incredible!

Return to “News”